Any woman with size 14 here wearing an xkcd shirt?

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Chrysalis

Any woman with size 14 here wearing an xkcd shirt?

Postby Chrysalis » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:54 pm UTC

Hi,

I was wondering if somebody else who wears a size 14 has bought an xkcd shirt and if yes which size? The babydoll shirts sadly seem to end at size 12 (which is normally a size medium :( ), so I was wondering if any of the men shirts would fit and not look like an ill-fitting tent :mrgreen:

I love xkcd but I fear I will have to draw my own xkcd comic onto a tshirt ;)
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon

Re: Any woman with size 14 here wearing an xkcd shirt?

Postby Meowgan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:10 pm UTC

Can you sew at all?

Sadly, I have yet to order an xkcd T-shirt. And I have no idea what size I would be.
<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

the white hatter

Postby the white hatter » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:22 pm UTC

I also need to order, but personally Im going to go with baggy stuff so Ill over-size my order
yeah, the best bet would be to order a larger size than you need and have it fitted, itll look even awsomer and provide an economic stability for somone (look for somware small if you are going to go to somone else, they do better jobs for the return on sales)
hello kitty, are you on my computer? or in my head?

Chrysalis

Postby Chrysalis » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:38 am UTC

Hey, getting a men's shirt and having it fitted is a great idea that hadn't occured to me. Thank you :)

Although no I can't sew so doing that will probably double the shirt price. But it's worth a consideration.

I wish the store would sell girly shirts that cover the usual range and don't run so very small. I bet that would help their sales, too ;)

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:26 am UTC

Size 14 means different things in different countries, so it's a bit tricky not knowing where you're from. I'm a size 12 AU, don't know what that is where you are but my measurements are 98cm-77.5cm-100cm (38.5"-30.5"-39.5") and I fit comfortably into a medium. Size 14 AU would probably fit snugly into a medium or comfortably into a large, depending on bust size and how you like to wear your shirts. Hope that helps. :)

(Actually, here are some charts you might find useful, too.)

Chrysalis

Postby Chrysalis » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:51 am UTC

Thanks hermaj,

I'm European and converted my size to US women's sizes, the ones that the xkcd store chart also gives for the tshirts. Those end at 12, and according to a mail I got from the helpful people there, the large shirt fits a 10 well and fits quite tight for a 12, so I thought not a chance for wearing it at 14.

I looked up Australian sizes and your 12 should be an US 10, so I'm a bit surprised that you are able to wear a medium although the shop people say that the large one is more like a 10. Although this makes me hope that perhaps the large one would fit me after all. :)

Is the material pure cotton or something stretchy?

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:33 am UTC

Yeah, see, I'd go more for the size based on your own measurements than just converting sizes back and forth, simply for the fact that a bunch of online converters seem to spew out different results. An Australian size 12 is a US 8 in at least one I've found and a US 10 in another, for example. On top of that, sizes in and of themselves can vary insanely. If you're getting something from overseas you would want to be certain and the only real way to know exactly what you're getting is to measure.

Anyway, to what you actually asked. The material is 100% cotton, but it does have some stretch to it, yes. When you look at it, it's kind of almost unnoticably ribbed, that's what probably allows it to give a little. It also loosened marginally after washing, which is something to keep in mind. Also, keep in mind that once you're on the page with the shirts, you'll find that there's a listing for an XL babydoll under some of them, it might be worth it to check the styles you like in case that's offered in them.

(I should probably at this stage offer a disclaimer that the forums aren't affiliated with the store in any capacity beyond sometimes we'll poke someone who is affiliated with them into reading and replying to the threads. So this is essentially just feedback from another buyer, not official advice or information.)

Chrysalis

Postby Chrysalis » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:34 pm UTC

Just to update anyone who might be interested, I got lucky and got a Bella babydoll shirt in XL from another company for free so I could try it on, and it isn't tight at all, it fits perfectly. :)

I ordered my xkcd shirt and it's also the same size.

So if you're a US14 / UK16 / EU44 chances are that the women's shirts in XL will fit you nicely.

worxman02

Postby worxman02 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pm UTC

I need some advice from the ladies here. I bought my gf the "Science it works, bitches" shirt in a babydoll large which looking at it in person and based on the responses here is too small as she is also a size 14. I know that you women are saying that a babydoll XL should fit, however my gf has a large chest (36D leaning towards DD) would a babydoll XL still fit? I dont want do the exchange just to find out it still doesnt fit.

Thanks in advance

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:34 am UTC

Do you have access to her measurements? Or at least some of her tops that you know fit her well? Clothing sizes aren't quite as helpful as knowing actual measurements, given that they vary from place to place and there can be discrepancies if you're converting between countries. I'm assuming it's a surprise since it seems like you have the shirt but haven't gotten her to try it on. If you don't know her measurements, I'd suggest getting being stealthy like a ninja and kidnapping a favourite shirt of hers and laying the xkcd shirt on top so you can compare the sizes before you try sending anything back.

In terms of bust, your girlfriend and I would be the about same size in the cup and I'd be one size smaller in the band. I fit comfortably in a medium, so I would say that a large should be able to fit across her bust, and an XL definitely would.

worxman02

Postby worxman02 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:43 am UTC

Thanks hermaj. I dont have access to one of her shirts right now as we are both at college about 4.5 hrs apart and unfortunatly she didnt leave any clothing at my place last time she visited. So it seems that an XL will fit her. So I know what I'm doing tommorow, ie trip to the post office. I now have to exchange the shirt and send back my 500gb 2.5" sata-2 hard drive to newegg for a refund so I can downgrade (stupid out of date laptop with only sata-1 support and improper speed reporting ability preventing my nice sata-2 drive from auto-switching speeds :( :evil: )

I'm glad she will get to wear the shirt now. She loved the shirt, just not the size.

Return to “Site/Forum issues”