Coding / Scripting forum

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Coding / Scripting forum

Postby Gordon » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:44 am UTC

I was thinking just under 'Your Art & Links' we could have a coding/scripting type forum. We have a lot of people who are computer savvy and it might be a good place to contain all the things like that windows scripting shell thread and any other things any of us make.

/me slaps Belial out of bed
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:46 am UTC

Hmmm. There do seem to be lots of random ideas for codes strewn around General; it would be handy to have a place to put them all together.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:58 am UTC

hermaj wrote:Hmmm. There do seem to be lots of random ideas for codes strewn around General; it would be handy to have a place to put them all together.

I put them all on os.xkcd.com

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:06 am UTC

Well I didn't mean just specifically for xkcd related things, but neat things people make or just people posting for help with snippets of code or what not (since they're not really logic puzzles but a few times I've seen things of that nature posted in there).

*twiddles thumbs*
I'm bored, work is slow tonight :(

edit: also os.xkcd.com doesn't resolve for me.. how long ago did you make the subdomain (probably just my works stupid dns not updating since we're not "supposed" to go to "non work" related site. Pfft when they add raptor attacks to whats covered under my medical then I'll stop visiting here on their time.
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
RealGrouchy wrote:

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:53 am UTC

Isn't up for my DNS either (OpenDNS).

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:08 am UTC

Oh, I never said it was publicly available :-P

The plan is to make it so some time in the future and to have it host the open source parts of the xkcd.com code base.

That time would be after I get out of school.

Currently it is only internally available on the VPN.

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:13 am UTC

So could we have a coding forum for discussion purposes then :P

*bows to the alter of davean*

*eats the toast he had stacked in such a manner as it looked like an alter*

I ate your alter, please don't be mad
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:04 am UTC

Gordon wrote:So could we have a coding forum for discussion purposes then :P

*bows to the alter of davean*

*eats the toast he had stacked in such a manner as it looked like an alter*

I ate your alter, please don't be mad

Oh please, you where already getting this before you mentioned it, all you did was speed it up.

Also, you might not be getting what you expect.

Torn Apart By Dingos

Postby Torn Apart By Dingos » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:07 am UTC

You're bloating the forums. 9 forums is too much.

Afaik, there's been one coding thread (a guy asking for c++ book recommendations) and no compsci threads so far (but there's been some tangential discussion in other threads). These new forums are not needed.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:22 am UTC

Can't say I'm a fan of the two new forums either... Especially since there's two with such major overlap when I don't see even one being used much.

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:31 am UTC

I thought one might be good to have to encourage more programming/scripting dialogue since it seems like a lot of it would be lost in the general forum and don't really think it fit well in logic puzzles.

I agree with Saladin in as much as seems like they could be amalgamated into one forum just sort of for 'techy' stuff.
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:21 am UTC

I can see the merit of one; there are several techy threads in General and a question pops up every week or so. I can also see the usage of the forums increase because when there's a place to put this stuff people will talk about it more. BUt yeah, just the coding one I think, not both.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:31 pm UTC

Saladin wrote:Can't say I'm a fan of the two new forums either... Especially since there's two with such major overlap when I don't see even one being used much.

Overlap? I'd be hard pressed to find anything that was fuzzy, they are extremely distinct. I made two because I wanted some real discussion of intelligent topic, not code. Its rare to find an actual computer science discussion (quite possibly because theres very few people actually qualified, almost none of which spend time on forums, but there might be a chance here).

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:48 pm UTC

Well, I guess we'll wait and see how many threads start popping up in CS, then.

Edit: What this forum really needs is the sub-forum plug-in. It means you can have sub-forums that appear as smaller segments right below major forums names... That way we can extras without so much clutter. Ie, Serious Business and News and Articles would be sub-forums of General, have some Tech forum split into Code and CS.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:00 pm UTC

To me, that way always looks more cluttered and annoying than the way it is now.

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:06 pm UTC

Can't say I've seen too many 'conversations' on forums as far as programming goes. What a group of guys I used to discuss stuff with back when I did more of this sort of thing was have the discussions going on in an IRC channel and then post the code snippets we were talking about in a forum we set up. Group sort of went its digital ways and the guy who used to host the forum is working on whatever this is going to be.

Only real 'programming' I've done in the last year is just stupid stuff for myself in PHP, which surprisingly is being used with some other 'web' based languages perl/xml/other type stuff more and more for inter-office type apps. One of the guys in said group was a programmer/networky type guy for NASA who a few months ago got a job at google (freaky parallels eh?) and was making all kinds of weird things for NASAs internal workings in PHP (could only show us a small portion of things what with security and what not).

Now I'm rambling, but anyway I'll try and think of something intelligent to contribute / discuss with you
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:

muteKi
Angry is too weak a term. Try "Fluffy".

Postby muteKi » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:57 am UTC

I think the two fora ought to be merged. Though I've got nothing against their existence.

I don't know...can you do subfora with phpBB?

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:04 am UTC

You sure can.

Return to “Site/Forum issues”