Unauthorized access attempts

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Re: Unauthorized access attempts

Postby Monika » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:14 pm UTC

spudtheimpaler wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:...and some silly people are still using echochamber...

Why so serioussilly? If I type in "ech" into my address bar I get echochamber top of the list. If I type "for" I get a bunch of forum sites. Echo chamber is actually more convenient for me, and well it's up, so what harm is there? :)

gmalivuk wrote:If you're using something other than Internet Explorer, you can have just the letter f be a keyword for a forums.xkcd.com bookmark, so how your browser autocompletes things is no excuse.

Even without any configuration, typing x in the Firefox awesomebar yields as the two first results xkcd.com and forums.xkcd.com. So that's one less button press than typing ech :mrgreen:
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

spudtheimpaler

Postby spudtheimpaler » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:06 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:If you're using something other than Internet Explorer, you can have just the letter f be a keyword for a forums.xkcd.com bookmark, so how your browser autocompletes things is no excuse.

I use IE at work because that's all we're allowed to use. My explanation was a reason, not an excuse. I wasn't trying to defend what I do.

And, as an aside, that completely sidestepped my question. Regardless of what browser I use and where, what is the harm in using the echochamber domain whilst it is available?
Fueled by tea and bad maths since 1983...

joshz

Postby joshz » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:18 pm UTC

spudtheimpaler wrote:

I use IE at work because that's all we're allowed to use. My explanation was a reason, not an excuse. I wasn't trying to defend what I do.

And, as an aside, that completely sidestepped my question. Regardless of what browser I use and where, what is the harm in using the echochamber domain whilst it is available?
The fact that if you link to it, it logs people using forums out. Which is annoying.
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

spudtheimpaler

Postby spudtheimpaler » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:00 pm UTC

joshz wrote:
spudtheimpaler wrote:...what is the harm in using the echochamber domain whilst it is available?
The fact that if you link to it, it logs people using forums out. Which is annoying.

So if I link to this thread twice, from each site:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42561
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42561

(Even if I Quote tag them, the echochamber link gets swapped out!)

Code: Select all

http://echochamber.me/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42561
I knew that would keep them...

If people are logged in via one domain and click the link of the other, this logs them out? (The question is more an excuse to post both links, as I've been using both interchangably with no issues...)

ok, after hitting preview: interestingly both take you to forums.xkcd.com despite me being logged in via echochamber and neither result in me being kicked out. Obviously I can't test on other browsers than IE due to the previous complaints about this beign a work computer.

If there are these problems then perhaps it's best retire echochamber. AFAIK it was only an April fools prank anyway, so I'm not sure why there are the two domains still :)

So, based solely on that hotswapping of links - why do we still have echochamber?

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:52 pm UTC

Because it takes work to get rid of it, and why do more work than you have to?
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

spudtheimpaler

Postby spudtheimpaler » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:54 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:Because it takes work to get rid of it, and why do more work than you have to?

Because it's caused issues, and could cause more. No need to be quite so blasé about it :) Obviously it's not my choice whether issues caused with are < or > issues caused without, I just wondered if there was a reason it was still up other than inertia.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:59 pm UTC

There are like six different domain names. But now that the comic links to forums.xkcd.com, which was always the single official one before, there's no good reason for not just sticking to that. If it's too inconvenient to type the domain name at work, maybe stop browsing the forum at work.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

spudtheimpaler

Postby spudtheimpaler » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:17 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:There are like six different domain names. But now that the comic links to forums.xkcd.com, which was always the single official one before, there's no good reason for not just sticking to that. If it's too inconvenient to type the domain name at work, maybe stop browsing the forum at work.

I don't know why people are getting arsey about stuff. I'm only asking because I'm curious - I didn't say I couldn't look at the original domain, only gave the reasons why I didn't usually.
It's obviously caused a little grief, I was only up for discussing why one option was chosen over another. If it's not up for discussion, I'll just get back into my little hole and leave you to it.

joshz

Postby joshz » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:24 pm UTC

You're also assuming that davean cares enough to fix it.
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

spudtheimpaler

Postby spudtheimpaler » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:39 am UTC

joshz wrote:You're also assuming that davean cares enough to fix it.

Perfectly valid reason not to in my book :)

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:41 pm UTC

Sorry for the off topic post, but WOW. These new spambots are getting cheeky..... pnwd

-fjantastic
Signatures are for chumps.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:52 pm UTC

I think this just happened to me, and I seem to recall you folks wanted to know if it happened.
Came to xkcd just now, found I was logged out, tried to login and was confronted with the 'exceeded maximum number of attempts' screen.
I'll go make my password more complex.
Ⓞⓞ◯

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:59 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:I think this just happened to me, and I seem to recall you folks wanted to know if it happened.
Came to xkcd just now, found I was logged out, tried to login and was confronted with the 'exceeded maximum number of attempts' screen.
I'll go make my password more complex.

I get that all the time. My password was randomly generated. I think it does it if you sign on from too many different IPs?
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:45 am UTC

This laptop and the PC at home are the only two computers that access the forums as me. It's feasible, but unlikely, that somebody was on the PC at home on xkcd.
Incidentally, I've just come back from the pub and the fora asked me to login again after clicking the 'remember me' box, but this time I got no captcha, it just logged me in fine.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:45 am UTC

As an aside, once you have those problems, try doing a cookie clear. You'll have to log in another time, but I find it makes things happier.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:01 pm UTC

I've run into this once or twice... I'll be logged out, go to log in, put in the right username/password but get the login form again with "too many attempts" and asking for the captcha - once I fill in the captcha and my user/pass combo again it works fine. The most recent I think was a week or so ago.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:23 am UTC

Yeah, I have had this several times about two weeks ago, while I was travelling. So it might be related to IP changes, also IP changes that are not within a short time, but within a day? But no problems when I am logged in via cookie. Which makes sense, I suppose.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:59 am UTC

It happened to me also, just now. I haven't tried to log in manually for maybe a month, so I suppose the "too many attempts" could have occurred any time between now and then.

(I have a strong password.)

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:47 pm UTC

I too noticed this relatively recently, and changed my password accordingly

I didn't think much of it until this morning, when I discovered my GMail account (which unwisely used something very similar to my old password) had sent out a barrage of spam messages. But it could just be a coincidence; there seem to be many reports of GMail accounts getting hijacked despite every precaution being taken.

Return to “Site/Forum issues”