First/Last buttons are way too big

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

First/Last buttons are way too big

Postby oferei » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:18 pm UTC

this is a UI issue, about the buttons on the site's main page.
I think the "|<" (first) and ">|" (last) buttons should be MUCH smaller. I always expect to find the "Prev" button there!
I would shrink them to 25% of their current width.
oferei

Re: First/Last buttons are way too big

Postby kernelpanic » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:44 pm UTC

Not that he will give a damn, or change anything, but you should contact davean directly at davean@xkcd.com.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

kernelpanic

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:09 pm UTC

Nah, I wouldn't bother with that actually, you'll just end up bugging him as well as getting nothing changed...
Ⓞⓞ◯
TaintedDeity

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:50 am UTC

I disagree about the bugging him part. If it's something you think needs addressing, e-mail him.

That said.. the current design as all five buttons the same size. I'm not sure there's a good enough reason to change that.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby bittyx » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:15 pm UTC

If you're using Firefox, you can install the Stylish add-on and then paste this style I just wrote for you; it should work correctly until davean or someone decides to change the HTML code of the main page.

Code: Select all
@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("xkcd.com") {
div.menuCont li a[href="/1/"] {width:30px !important;margin-left:40px !important;}
div.menuCont li a[href="/"] {width:30px !important;}
}

The default buttons are 70px, so since I changed them to 30px, I need to add a margin-left of 40px to compensate, so that the buttons would stay centered. If you want to change the values just remember which is which (dunno how experienced you are with CSS, so yeah).

EDIT: I realize it's been 3 months since the last post, but I thought someone might find this useful.
bittyx

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:39 pm UTC

bittyx wrote:I realize it's been 3 months since the last post, but I thought someone might find this useful.
Well there was no way davean was going to change the site design to suit one person's aesthetic preferences, so it was nice of you to give that one person a workaround.
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(cis male/he/him/his)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Return to Site/Forum issues