xkcd 224 (Lisp) breaks some browsers

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

coastwatcher

xkcd 224 (Lisp) breaks some browsers

Postby coastwatcher » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:14 am UTC

Warning: don't try this at home (unless you have a browser with no other tabs or windows open).

I tried to print xkcd number 224 (Lisp), and was surprised to find that the attempt locked up both Firefox 3.6.3 and Opera 11.00 under 32-bit Slackware 13.1. I sent bug reports to the publishers of both browsers, and the failure is repeatable, so there is hope for the future. <grin> Konqueror was able to print it, so I now have the printout hanging above my monitor. (I suppose that the combination of wget and gimp could have done the job if Konqueror had failed.)

I find it entertaining that xkcd, which has addressed the topic of robust and correct programming (e.g. Adventures of a Mom, the story of little Bobby Tables) should happen to have tickled similarly fatal bugs in two browsers which I would not expect to have much if any code in common. It's all very interesting.

Cobramaster
Location: Georgia Southern University Department of Chemistry, and Department of Biology.

Re: xkcd 224 (Lisp) breaks some browsers

Postby Cobramaster » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:30 pm UTC

I am using the Same Opera as you but under Windows 7 ultimate 64bit so that may be the difference but the comic printed just fine. Also updating to Opera 11.01 might help. Otherwise the problem may lie with your printer.
SlyReaper wrote:Did you never notice the etymological link between "tyrannosaur" and "tyrant"? 1% of the dinosaurs had 99% of the prey. Occupy Pangaea.

Return to “Site/Forum issues”