Facebook "Like" Button

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

JTM

Facebook "Like" Button

Postby JTM » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:14 am UTC

I did a search of this forum, and as I can tell this has not been suggested yet???

I actually find that difficult to believe.

But anyway, I suggest that having a Facebook "Like" button
for the comics would be a solid improvement of the site.

What do you say?

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Re: Facebook "Like" Button

Postby ConMan » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:20 am UTC

I like the idea of not tricking people into giving their data to Facebook. I may use it, but no-one else should have to worry about their privacy just because they've visited a site with a Facebook Like button on it. Given that xkcd doesn't have banner ads, which occasionally have the same issue, I suspect there won't be a Like button any time soon.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:40 am UTC

Oh fuck no. No no no. Fuck that.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

mdyrud

Postby mdyrud » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:21 am UTC

I can't stand sites with a giant clump of buttons on the screen. If you really like a comic, post it on your wall. If you want to show your support for the comic as a whole, I'm pretty sure there's a page on Facebook you can like.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:41 pm UTC

Bandcamp actually added a facebook like button and it was a good decision for them. I'm not sure xkcd is quite similar enough for the analogy to work, but I could see some potential benefit to doing it.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:01 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:Bandcamp actually added a facebook like button and it was a good decision for them. I'm not sure xkcd is quite similar enough for the analogy to work, but I could see some potential benefit to doing it.

Support your assertion that it was a good decision?

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:37 pm UTC

davean wrote:
Роберт wrote:Bandcamp actually added a facebook like button and it was a good decision for them. I'm not sure xkcd is quite similar enough for the analogy to work, but I could see some potential benefit to doing it.

http://blog.bandcamp.com/2010/11/02/facebook-like/
A few months back, Facebook bumped search out of its reigning spot as the #1 source of traffic to Bandcamp. Put another way, the number of fans coming to your pages by clicking links on Facebook surpassed the combined referral traffic of Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. This didn’t happen because search traffic has weakened, but rather because Facebook has simply grown faster (Twitter, by the way, is a distant third – for all that tweeting and retweeting, Facebook sends six times more fans your way). It wasn’t until Facebook hit this milestone that we decided to set aside our near-pathological aversion to placing anything even remotely branded on Bandcamp pages and instead embrace the logical next step, which is of course to pour gasoline on the mother.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Willl

Postby Willl » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:49 am UTC

Роберт wrote:
davean wrote:

http://blog.bandcamp.com/2010/11/02/facebook-like/
A few months back, Facebook bumped search out of its reigning spot as the #1 source of traffic to Bandcamp. Put another way, the number of fans coming to your pages by clicking links on Facebook surpassed the combined referral traffic of Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. This didn’t happen because search traffic has weakened, but rather because Facebook has simply grown faster (Twitter, by the way, is a distant third – for all that tweeting and retweeting, Facebook sends six times more fans your way). It wasn’t until Facebook hit this milestone that we decided to set aside our near-pathological aversion to placing anything even remotely branded on Bandcamp pages and instead embrace the logical next step, which is of course to pour gasoline on the mother.

I think the difference in the effect of such a button on traffic to xkcd compared to Bandcamp is secondary to the flaws in assuming that traffic would be the chief concern when applying this to xkcd.

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:59 am UTC

Yeah, considering xkcd has no ads, why would Randall even care about traffic? Besides I'd say it's already popular enough, and making it more popular wouldn't really achieve anything.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:25 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:Yeah, considering xkcd has no ads, why would Randall even care about traffic? Besides I'd say it's already popular enough, and making it more popular wouldn't really achieve anything.

http://store.xkcd.com/

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:18 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:

You're quoting the wrong part. The important thing is not that facebook traffic went up and so they decided to add a button, but that a Like button is much more likely to encourage sharing, as they say in the next paragraph.

Роберт wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:Yeah, considering xkcd has no ads, why would Randall even care about traffic? Besides I'd say it's already popular enough, and making it more popular wouldn't really achieve anything.

Indeed; in some sense the whole site is an ad.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:48 am UTC

Роберт wrote:

i guess you're right, but does randall really care how much merch he sells? or is it just a nice bonus?

Willl

Postby Willl » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:03 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:

i guess you're right, but does randall really care how much merch he sells? or is it just a nice bonus?

My understanding was that it's his main source of income. Correct me if I'm wrong. The key thing about merch is that its sales are far more loosely related to traffic than ads are. Brand and reputation are critical, and xkcd's brand depends a lot on not being commercially contrived, sincerity of the author and objectivity towards topical technology, to name but three things that I think would suffer from a superfluous facebook button.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:28 pm UTC

Willl wrote:
Роберт wrote:

My understanding was that it's his main source of income. Correct me if I'm wrong. The key thing about merch is that its sales are far more loosely related to traffic than ads are. Brand and reputation are critical, and xkcd's brand depends a lot on not being commercially contrived, sincerity of the author and objectivity towards topical technology, to name but three things that I think would suffer from a superfluous facebook button.

wow, really? who'd have thought you could make a living drawing 3 stick figure comics a week?! sure xkcd is popular, but without ads, i'm kind of suprised merch alone can bring that much revenue,

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:31 pm UTC

I believe he also gives cool science talks to nerds, being a former contractor for NASA and all.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:28 am UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:
Роберт wrote:

You're quoting the wrong part. The important thing is not that facebook traffic went up and so they decided to add a button, but that a Like button is much more likely to encourage sharing, as they say in the next paragraph.

Yah, it was that foolishness that annoyed me enough that I just left the thread.

Willl wrote:The key thing about merch is that its sales are far more loosely related to traffic than ads are. Brand and reputation are critical, and xkcd's brand depends a lot on not being commercially contrived, sincerity of the author and objectivity towards topical technology, to name but three things that I think would suffer from a superfluous facebook button.

Thank you for actually thinking. Is there anything I can do for you?

I don't mean to say that that is all the reason, but it is a pretty good start. There are also privacy concerns, etc. Additionally if you don't run ads transient traffic frequently is just a nuisance for both parties. Ads make you inclined to get your site in front of people who don't care about it. If you don't have ads those visits are frequently just wasted bandwidth. From out perspective we want the site to be seen mostly by people who might be interested in it and it probably isn't in our or their interest for someone who won't like the site to visit the site.

Be polite, don't waste people's time! Facebook makes sharing far too much of a broadcast action.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:00 pm UTC

For the record, I'm not advocating that we add a like button. If people want to share xkcd, they can do the extra clicks.

I did say that bandcamp is dissimilar enough from xkcd that the analogy probably won't work. However, bandcamp has NO ADS so I thought it was a decent analogy for why it's not an automatically dumb idea to add a "like" button to a site like this. I only went into it further because I was asked specifically to elaborate.

I'm sorry if the portion I quoted offended anyone's sensibilities. I was pointing out that, for bandcamp, facebook was the #1 source of traffic. Most (but not all) websites do want traffic. I understand the situation is more complex than that, I didn't think I needed to add caveats to everything I said. Surely those who would be making the decision would be even more understanding of the implications and effects than I would.

Have a nice day! :mrgreen: I assume this thread will be locked now that we are aware of the suggestion, considered it, and feel it is not right for xkcd. I assume the +1 button for Google Plus will not be forthcoming either. :)

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:49 am UTC

You could always use a service like Pushnote, which I believe allows you to rate/like/comment any site on the web without having a presence on the site itself.

TaylorP

Postby TaylorP » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:56 pm UTC

There's also a Chrome extension that adds a "+1" button to the top bar, effectively giving you a Google Plus button for any page. I'm not sure if a Facebook equivalent exists though.

Return to “Site/Forum issues”