Request: switch domains away from GoDaddy as part of boycott

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Request: switch domains away from GoDaddy as part of boycott

Postby sje46 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:35 pm UTC

SOPA, as we all know, will have drastic changes to the internet, and although Randall hasn't made a statement on the issue as far as I know, it would mean a lot if xkcd transferred who their domain is registered with. GoDaddy is a large supporter of SOPA, and as such, there is a large movement to boycott them. Info here From what I understand, Stackoverflow, the Cheezburger network and many others has switched domains and the Wikimedia Foundation is thinking about it.
Someone mentioned on reddit that xkcd.com is still registered with GoDaddy, so I figured that I'd bring it up as a possibility. It would be fine if this request were ignored due to any technical or financial difficulties...I just figured it was worth bringing up. Thanks!
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.
sje46

Re: Request: switch domains away from GoDaddy as part of boy

Postby Hawknc » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:45 pm UTC

While there's nothing against having a thread about it here (and it might well be the best way to alert site ninja davean of the idea), any ideas that you want to go directly to Randall are probably best routed via IRC (#xkcd on the foonetic servers) or by emailing press@xkcd.com with any suggestions, as he doesn't tend to check the forums.
Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Re: Request: switch domains away from GoDaddy as part of boy

Postby sje46 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:29 pm UTC

Well then...GoDaddy already dropped their support.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news ... r-sopa.ars
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.
sje46

Return to Site/Forum issues