Forum Link Missing?

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

tomandlu

Forum Link Missing?

Postby tomandlu » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:26 pm UTC

The link to the forums seems to have vanished from the main xkcd.com page - is this deliberate?
How can I think my way out of the problem when the problem is the way I think?

stickler

Re: Forum Link Missing?

Postby stickler » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:59 pm UTC

It comes and goes, usually with other features. A search would probably raise other instances. IRRC last time was related to a HTML5 switch-over.

Similar but opposite problem here viewtopic.php?f=10&t=72810 , if you look at the first two posts you will see davean being directed to himself :?

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:36 pm UTC

stickler wrote:Similar but opposite problem here viewtopic.php?f=10&t=72810 , if you look at the first two posts you will see davean being directed to himself :?

That was a joke. Remember jokes?

stickler

Postby stickler » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:02 pm UTC

Not that one! :oops:

As it happens I checked the date to see if it was a 1/4 joke!

Assuming I got the joke (and given some of the injokes on here who knows) I accidentally pointed the OP towards a thread mocking posts like the OP - which is a good overall effect. :mrgreen:

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:58 pm UTC

stickler wrote:Assuming I got the joke (and given some of the injokes on here who knows) I accidentally pointed the OP towards a thread mocking posts like the OP - which is a good overall effect. :mrgreen:

We never mock people around here. This will be your only warning.

philipquarles

Postby philipquarles » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:29 am UTC

This post is invisible.

teelo

Postby teelo » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:29 am UTC

Whiiiiiiiiiiiine. Having to type in forums. is annoooying, especially on my phone!

the penman

Postby the penman » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:39 am UTC

In the mean time I click on "About", then use the link on the word "forums" in the third paragraph down.

Lode

Postby Lode » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:04 am UTC

Can the forum link please go somewhere on the main page? I love reading the forum posts about an xkcd comic.

If not in the top left (it seems to disappear there too often), can it go somewhere else, like the bottom of the page or whatever.

Thanks!

matthewhaworth

Postby matthewhaworth » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:17 pm UTC

I think this annoys me much more than it should. I think it's because when I reported it, ages ago, having seen that nobody else had, people got very angry at me for complaining about it. It's just a link, a pretty important link at that, how long can it take to add a link to the home page?

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:10 pm UTC

matthewhaworth wrote:I think this annoys me much more than it should. I think it's because when I reported it, ages ago, having seen that nobody else had, people got very angry at me for complaining about it. It's just a link, a pretty important link at that, how long can it take to add a link to the home page?

First off, that was a year ago and you were referring to a completely different occurrence. The link has come and gone again since then, probably more than once. Also, no one got mad at you, and you were given a perfectly reasonable explanation of why the link was removed at that time -- and that was after two mods in two threads had already acknowledged the removal and stated that it was intentional and would be corrected.

This time? There's the obvious explanation as to why -- the 'What If' link bumped it. While I agree that it ought to eventually come back somehow, somewhere, doing so is beyond everyone's control except davean's. The best any of the rest of us can do is suggest that you create a bookmark or two and use this as an opportunity to practice accepting the things you cannot change.

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:48 pm UTC

Not to mention the wisdom to know the difference.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:51 pm UTC

I don't think you can practice wisdom.

... but this isn't the place for idle chit chat.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:34 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:There's the obvious explanation as to why -- the 'What If' link bumped it.

The header is already annoying tall. I'm sure it'll come back in some form somewhere but figuring out how and where is really not a top priority for me.

jmiezitis

Postby jmiezitis » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:48 am UTC

If we don't have the space top left for the forum link can the comic itself become the link to the forum.
I understand this doesn't always work as the comic sometimes links to a larger version but the link could then appear on that second page.

PS. Love the "What If's"

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:28 pm UTC

Also, you should make a link from http://www.xkcd.com/forums/ that goes to forums.xkcd.com. Especially if you're not going to actually LINK to your forums, you should at least provide the logical ways of navigating people might try as alternatives.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

aejoubert

Postby aejoubert » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:34 pm UTC

I'm quite surprised at the forum link being considered expendable or at least not high priority. Not having a link seems to defeat the purpose of having the forums.

I don't mean to tell anyone their business. It just surprises me, that's all.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:22 pm UTC

Site and Forum Issues is not the place for discussion. davean has said the reasons for why the link is not there. There is nothing further to discuss.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Lode

Postby Lode » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:41 pm UTC

davean wrote:
Azrael wrote:There's the obvious explanation as to why -- the 'What If' link bumped it.

The header is already annoying tall. I'm sure it'll come back in some form somewhere but figuring out how and where is really not a top priority for me.

The Forum link happens to be the one I click the most often.

It's annoying that, to reduce the amount of space used, the most clicked link is the one that gets removed!

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:44 am UTC

Lode wrote:
davean wrote:

The Forum link happens to be the one I click the most often.

It's annoying that, to reduce the amount of space used, the most clicked link is the one that gets removed!

Have you considered bookmarking?

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:43 am UTC

Alright, davean said he's aware of it, and he's the only one who will end up doing anything about it, so there's really no purpose to this thread anymore. Locking to avoid further discussion. Til then, just bookmark the forums. Begging davean to bring the link back won't do anything.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Return to “Site/Forum issues”