My Hobby: Working around missing functionality

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

sm_dt_fire

My Hobby: Working around missing functionality

Postby sm_dt_fire » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:08 am UTC

Recipe: Bluetooth Wake-up Light

1) Phillips Wake-up light with FM Radio
2) Computer with audio out and a playlist on repeat
3) Muted speakers
4) Audio-to-FM dongle
5) Uninterruptible Power Supply

ucim

Re: My Hobby: Working around missing functionality

Postby ucim » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:33 am UTC

What's the missing functionality? I was going to guess "waking up to my music", but the speakers are muted. Unless you mean the computer speakers are muted, so the wake-up light plays the bluetooth-to-fm of your playlist, in which case, cool.

My favorite bodge was putting an 8 bit memory card in a 16 bit computer (or was it a 16 in a 32, I forget)... because of the bit mismatch, the memory was slow, but windows insisted on managing the memory itself, slowing the entire computer down. So, I assigned it all to a ram disk, and then put my swap file on that ram disk. So I had memory pretending to be a hard drive pretending to be memory. Made a world of difference in the computer speed.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Re: My Hobby: Working around missing functionality

Postby phlip » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:41 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
What's the missing functionality? I was going to guess "waking up to my music", but the speakers are muted. Unless you mean the computer speakers are muted, so the wake-up light plays the bluetooth-to-fm of your playlist, in which case, cool.

I presume the computer isn't in their bedroom, so they're using this as a clever way to pipe the music from where their computer is to where their alarm is...

ucim wrote:My favorite bodge was putting an 8 bit memory card in a 16 bit computer (or was it a 16 in a 32, I forget)... because of the bit mismatch, the memory was slow, but windows insisted on managing the memory itself, slowing the entire computer down. So, I assigned it all to a ram disk, and then put my swap file on that ram disk. So I had memory pretending to be a hard drive pretending to be memory. Made a world of difference in the computer speed.

So, essentially telling the computer "this is still memory, but use it with much lower priority than the other memory"... neat.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Return to “Coding”