Bounty Source

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

D-503

Bounty Source

Postby D-503 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:07 am UTC

I recently discovered Bounty Source and I thought some of the coders here might be interested in it. Basically, it lets you create monetary bounties for resolving issues on github. I have high hopes for this project. It could really improve the open source software out there. And as a coder, I'm excited by the possibility that perhaps one day I could make a living working on open source software wherever and whenever I want. I also like how meritocratic it is. There is no need for a hiring process where the person is evaluated. Whether someone gets the bounty or not depends only on the quality of the code in their pull request.
However, at this stage it's difficult to tell whether this will have a large effect on software development and what that effect could be. I would like to collect some thoughts on what might happen if bounties were to become the primary way software gets developed. As coders we would all be constantly competing in a global market. And where does the money come from? Big companies? Small dev shops that make custom solutions? Independent developers who make money off of app markets? Government grants? I'm sure there are many possibilities I haven't even considered. Please discuss!

mr-mitch

Re: Bounty Source

Postby mr-mitch » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:33 am UTC

An interesting idea, but it doesn't let me middle click to open new tabs! Can we fix that first?

drappo

Re: Bounty Source

Postby drappo » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:15 pm UTC

Hi, I'm from the BountySource team and just noticed this thread so I had to register!

mr-mitch wrote:An interesting idea, but it doesn't let me middle click to open new tabs! Can we fix that first?

Ug. This has always bothered me too, so we just pushed a fix for it! There's still an issue with the fundraiser/bounty 'cards' not opening in new tabs, but we'll get that fixed soon.

D-503 wrote:as a coder, I'm excited by the possibility that perhaps one day I could make a living working on open source software wherever and whenever I want.

This gets us excited too :D. Our goal for BountySource is to create an ecosystem that allows developers the freedom to work as much as they want on open-source software, while allowing end users to contribute more often and in more unique ways. I'm curious to see what everyone thinks... let the discussion begin :)

Return to “Coding”