any way to stop the spread of "infinite scroll" UI pattern?

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

f5r5e5d
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 3:22 am UTC

any way to stop the spread of "infinite scroll" UI pattern?

Postby f5r5e5d » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:49 am UTC

I hate "infinite scroll" - Yahoo in particular has broken multiple services I use by implementing "infinite scroll"

jumps while slowly scrolling article topic list, resized list hard to navigate back to where I was

"back" often broken by resetting to the head of the next article I didn't want to read, never selected - it just scrolled up into my window while I was scrolling down to read

really breaks the catching up on Group messages for active forums I visit infrequently - give me back pages

and they have wiped out much of the editorial work of having multiple subjects sorted by category in distinct regions of one window


I know some think the pattern works for mobile – but it is a big step backwards for the desktop

speising
Posts: 2288
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:54 pm UTC
Location: wien

Re: any way to stop the spread of "infinite scroll" UI patte

Postby speising » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:26 am UTC

best part? having (relatively) vital links in the footer of the page. which you never reach.

also, not tablet friendly, when you don't have a scroll bar to quickly change your position.

User avatar
Jplus
Posts: 1717
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:29 pm UTC
Location: Netherlands

Re: any way to stop the spread of "infinite scroll" UI patte

Postby Jplus » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:45 am UTC

I like the infinite scroll, actually. It removes the need to keep clicking on "next" every time. Of course, you're right that it doesn't combine well with footer links, but I think that's a silly idea anyway.

As for tablets, I don't know about other people, but I can flick and keep accelerating by flicking multiple times. That way I can reach the bottom of a page fairly quickly, even if the page is huge.
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

User avatar
Adam H
Posts: 1267
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

Re: any way to stop the spread of "infinite scroll" UI patte

Postby Adam H » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

Jplus wrote:I like the infinite scroll, actually. It removes the need to keep clicking on "next" every time. Of course, you're right that it doesn't combine well with footer links, but I think that's a silly idea anyway.

As for tablets, I don't know about other people, but I can flick and keep accelerating by flicking multiple times. That way I can reach the bottom of a page fairly quickly, even if the page is huge.

Don't you still have to wait to load the items on the "next" screen anyways?
-Adam

User avatar
Jplus
Posts: 1717
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:29 pm UTC
Location: Netherlands

Re: any way to stop the spread of "infinite scroll" UI patte

Postby Jplus » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:Don't you still have to wait to load the items on the "next" screen anyways?

Sure, but the same applies to mouse-oriented computers. I think speising's point was that it is harder to find a certain position on a long page on a tablet because it lacks a scroll bar, but I don't agree because you do actually see a scroll line on a tablet when you scroll, and as I said flicking does allow you to scroll quickly. I realize my remark about reaching the bottom of the page was confusing, though.
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

speising
Posts: 2288
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:54 pm UTC
Location: wien

Re: any way to stop the spread of "infinite scroll" UI patte

Postby speising » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:47 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:
Jplus wrote:I like the infinite scroll, actually. It removes the need to keep clicking on "next" every time. Of course, you're right that it doesn't combine well with footer links, but I think that's a silly idea anyway.

As for tablets, I don't know about other people, but I can flick and keep accelerating by flicking multiple times. That way I can reach the bottom of a page fairly quickly, even if the page is huge.

Don't you still have to wait to load the items on the "next" screen anyways?


thats the thing, try this on the new and improved flickr.

User avatar
thoughtfully
Posts: 2253
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:25 am UTC
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Contact:

Re: any way to stop the spread of "infinite scroll" UI patte

Postby thoughtfully » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

The Slashdot infinite scroll is awful because you lose your place everytime you check out an article. You navigate back to the top. Try that after taking a break for a few days and trying to catch up. You have to learn to load them into a new tab or window. I did find an option to disable it, and I'm sortof happy again. The comments are still pretty bad, and sometimes silly article submissions get through, but it has always been so :)
Image
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

heatsink
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:58 am UTC

Re: any way to stop the spread of "infinite scroll" UI patte

Postby heatsink » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

I like to start at the oldest article on the page and progress towards the newest, but bottomless webpages make it impossible to find the oldest article on the page. I can't be the only one who reads in this order...

User avatar
Jplus
Posts: 1717
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:29 pm UTC
Location: Netherlands

Re: any way to stop the spread of "infinite scroll" UI patte

Postby Jplus » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:45 pm UTC

I do the same. But not all websites put the newest post on top. Ordering is orthogonal to scrolling method, although I agree that infinite scroll combines badly with "newest first" if it also makes sense to read starting from the oldest.
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Nyktos
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:02 pm UTC

Re: any way to stop the spread of "infinite scroll" UI patte

Postby Nyktos » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:18 am UTC

heatsink wrote:I like to start at the oldest article on the page and progress towards the newest, but bottomless webpages make it impossible to find the oldest article on the page. I can't be the only one who reads in this order...
No I do that too. Even on Twitter I usually read upward; it is painful.

wurlitzer153
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:47 am UTC

Re: any way to stop the spread of "infinite scroll" UI patte

Postby wurlitzer153 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

Even worse than this pattern is the "load more" pattern. For instance, take the video list on YouTube channels: start at 30, hit "load more", another 30 appear, load more again, another 30... Try this for a channel with 1000 videos! After watching one video, you go back and have to do it all again.

Ubik
Posts: 1016
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:43 pm UTC

Re: any way to stop the spread of "infinite scroll" UI patte

Postby Ubik » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

I think using the HTML5 history API or the fragment identifier of the address could make infinite scrolling work better. The page would essentially update the current address so that using back would land them on the same part of the long page where they clicked the link.

Not sure how well it would work with the current browser capabilities, but it would be interesting if it were also possible to lazily load the entries above the starting point.

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: any way to stop the spread of "infinite scroll" UI patte

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

Can't we re-introduce scroll lock?
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

lgw
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:52 pm UTC

Re: any way to stop the spread of "infinite scroll" UI patte

Postby lgw » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:48 am UTC

What was ever wrong with just having a scroll bar anyhow? I blame overly-simple-minded ORM frameworks that made it hard to do things like get total object count and skip to an arbitrary position, giving you only a cursor instead.
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

User avatar
hotaru
Posts: 1042
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:54 pm UTC

Re: any way to stop the spread of "infinite scroll" UI patte

Postby hotaru » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:25 am UTC

wurlitzer153 wrote:Even worse than this pattern is the "load more" pattern. For instance, take the video list on YouTube channels: start at 30, hit "load more", another 30 appear, load more again, another 30... Try this for a channel with 1000 videos! After watching one video, you go back and have to do it all again.

this is especially terrible for Facebook comments. often if someone replies to a comment, you have to click to load more comments 20 or 30 times to see what they were replying to. and if a post with several thousand comments shows up in your news feed because one of your friends commented on it 20 minutes ago, good luck... you can sit there clicking all day and still not find your friend's comment.

Code: Select all

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1


Return to “Coding”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests