I need a tutor

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

sunflowerbee

I need a tutor

Postby sunflowerbee » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:24 am UTC

I'm trying to learn more about coding. I'm just starting off with HTML .I wish I knew more but sadly I do not . I was wondering if someone could help me. Teach me . I would be very grateful.

KnightExemplar

Re: I need a tutor

Postby KnightExemplar » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:02 pm UTC

sunflowerbee wrote:I'm trying to learn more about coding. I'm just starting off with HTML .I wish I knew more but sadly I do not . I was wondering if someone could help me. Teach me . I would be very grateful.

Just post your questions.

If you want more than that, well... there's college and online classes out there for a reason. But the online community tends to be pretty helpful if you can ask specific questions.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:34 am UTC

I’d start here.
wee free kings

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:45 am UTC

Qaanol wrote:I’d start here.

I wouldn't; I recommend taking a look at HTML Dog.

True, w3schools does have some good info, but they also teach poor &/or obsolete techniques. See Why W3schools Is Bad for the Internet. And if you take a look at the source of a typical w3schools page it doesn't exactly inspire confidence, as discussed by Louis Lazaris.

The Mozilla Developer Network has lots of good info about HTML, CSS and JavaScript, but I admit it can be a bit overwhelming, especially for beginners. Still, it's good to get some familiarity with that site, IMHO.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:30 pm UTC

Pick a language. Not assembly or anything crazy, but something like, say, visual basic. A bit of research on different languages to pick one is easy enough. The actual language isn't that important, it's the concepts behind it that are important, but at first, you'll want to stick to one for consistency of terminology while you learn the logic behind it.

Then, google up a guide. Usually, it'll start with an example like "hello world". From there, concepts will be introduced one at a time. You can expect some sort of if/then statement to be an early one, same with input/output, same with looping, and of course, you'll get to functions, more object oriented stuff, and so on. Don't be afraid to use multiple guides for the same language. Sometimes one will be poorly written, or simply not explain the part you're having difficulty with, but a different perspective will help.

Each time you learn a new concept, expand your basic program to use it a couple of times. It doesn't have to be anything particularly amazing, just some basic practice so it sticks.

Once you've feel like a few of them stick, I suggest moving on to easy programs that do something. A classic early example is a "guess a number" game or a calculator. The key is to go for small leaps at one shot. Don't go off trying some ludicrous 3d app for your first program, that's just confusing and discouraging. Quick, easy programs are the way to reinforce the information you've just read about.

And don't be afraid to post here. Lots of us code quite a bit, and can help out if you get stuck.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:32 pm UTC

http://www.codecademy.com/

and

http://code.org/

Are both excellent places to get your feet wet in coding.

aph

Postby aph » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:40 pm UTC

I my experience, the best way to learn coding is to know as precisely as possible what you want to achieve, then fining ways to achieve it in any particular language. That is, if you already know something about programming.

If you know nothing about programming, it doesn't matter which language you choose. Take your time, do it "the hard way" - pick a book that has code samples, type all of them in and make sure they execute correctly and that you understand what happened.

Books with code are best tutors.

Return to “Coding”