How do I learn to make website as a programmer?

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

jacques01

How do I learn to make website as a programmer?

Postby jacques01 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:22 am UTC

I've programmed a lot in Python and Java. I've used Flask, Gunicorn, Apache Httpd, Tomcat, Glassfish, and other technologies to run Python and Java web applications. I've also done a lot of Javascript, HTML, and CSS. I have developed "websites" for my employer, but these are just prototypes that are used internally by a small group of scientists.

However, I want to have my own blog/personal website that anyone can visit.

How do I do this?

Do I write my own web applications from scratch and find a hosting service/linux remote machine?

Or do I use an existing framework, like WordPress and Weebly?

What do you guys do as other programmers? I just don't like the idea of using a commercial companies software when I can code up my own website.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Re: How do I learn to make website as a programmer?

Postby Xanthir » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:29 am UTC

If you're interested in just getting stuff up there because you want a blog or something, you can't do much better than Wordpress. Simple, easy, and dependable.

If you're interested in learning and playing around with web stuff, go ahead and write something of your own. It's not hard to get something simple together that does the job, then you can expand on it over time.

In either case, yeah, you get some space from a hosting provider. There have been threads of suggestions for this before, but I use and enjoy NearlyFreeSpeech - they're especially good for a hobbyist who doesn't really expect traffic.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:37 am UTC

jacques01 wrote:What do you guys do as other programmers? I just don't like the idea of using a commercial companies software when I can code up my own website.

Xanthir pretty much answered that question succintly. Personally I did the same thing. If the goal is having website that does X, then the best course of action is to look for a service or at least a framework that does X specifically. If you want to learn how to do X, then go one layer down. There is something to be learned by writing the whole thing (including the request/response handling, database layer, templating, etc.) from the language's stdlib, but there's a better middle ground by using framework that do most, but not all of the work and leave you free to implement the actual interesting features.
I'm not overlay familiar with python and java web frameworks, so I can't recommend anything. Just search around a bit and go for something that seems to already do most of what you think you need. I guarrantee that there will be plenty of stuff to do until your thing is ready. Heck, even just using wordpress can be dozens of hours fiddling with CSS to do exactly what you need.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:54 pm UTC

raudorn wrote:Heck, even just using wordpress can be dozens of hours fiddling with CSS to do exactly what you need.

Spoiler:

@OP: For my (extremely minimal) site, I went the artisan, hand-crafted HTML route and hosted it on AWS. For anything beyond a handful of static pages, that will be significantly more work than using something like wordpress, though.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

myrcutio

Postby myrcutio » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:37 pm UTC

Wordpress can be good, but you're paying a pretty hefty premium for their wysiwyg interface. If you already know all the underlying technologies it's probably just as easy to set up your own local stack and host static html/css/js on S3 with a domain redirect, assuming you want something simple. My personal favorite method is to keep blog entries in a dynamodb table and distill them into raw html with a lambda, saving the results to an s3 bucket. It lets me avoid any security issues (and believe me wordpress has more than a few), while still having a dynamic and scalable site.
"Lightning must have hit it, and now it won't work in anything but Windows 95."

Faustus runs afoul of Microsoft.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:00 am UTC

PHP for extremely light backend work (mostly just for the capability to include separate files in a webpage, so you can separate out boilerplate stuff and navigation menus from your main page contents) plus a dab or two of CSS, written in a text editor. As a programmer, the thought of using kludgy behemoth duzitall solutions just to avoid having to look at HTML makes me purt' near physically ill.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Return to “Coding”