Coding: Fleeting Thoughts

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

korona

Re: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts

Postby korona » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:54 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:Yes.

What I want is a C/C++ level language with the ability to do compile time introspection of class type structures, and metaclasses of classes with access to that.

So I can say "GarbageCollected class foo", which causes compile-time parsing of the methods/variables of foo. It can, for example, check that each data member of foo is also GarbageCollected. Similarly, when the foo type is used (not the instances, the type), it can validate the context (so raw pointers to foo aren't allowed). In effect, I want to be able to in-language have enough power to create a Java/C# esque "managed" typesystem.

Similarly, I want to be able to say "Reflecting class foo", and have it make the members of foo Reflect. Or "Property class foo", and when I create Property members their access has implicit access to the this pointer (in effect, I modify both code in foo, and code that uses foo). But I want this to happen with zero run-time cost, a modest compile-time cost, and with a system strong enough to do these kind of things in the language without it being a bunch of hard-coded keywords that only do this (because I don't know what else could be done this way..).

Then I can have a GC GUI low-performance reflectable system embedded adjacent to my high-performance audio filtering, without having to deal with crossing a language barrier half way.

That is exactly the reason why always wanted to develop a new language. I want a language that can do:
  • Static typing (required for performance reasons) but support for type inference
  • Have a rich type system that allows garbage collected object, native pointers and possibly other memory management approaches.
    There are other nice possible types that could be supported, e.g. javascript like prototyped objects.
  • Flexibility: For example sometimes I might want to control the exact layout of my structs like in C++
  • Meta-programming to the extent that it is possible to integrate domain specific languages like SQL in a nice way. This basically means that I want support for clean macros like in lisp and full compile-time reflection.
  • Easily extensible with minimal core features: Syntax and type system should be extensible. A for-each loop could be implemented as a macro. Even classes could be implemented on top of structs
    when the language supports full compile-time reflection. Garbage collected types could be build on top of non-garbage collected ones. Runtime reflection could be implemented using compile-time reflection.
  • Possible option: Support for constraints that can be checked during compile type to formally verify correctness. This could possibly be part of the type system, for example you could have a "integer between 5 and 7" type that can be converted to "integer" but not to "integer between 6 and 7" unless the compiler can prove that the value will never equal 5. You would need statements to tell the compiler "you can safely assume that variable a has type 'int between 5 and 6'" and "do a runtime check to ensure this condition" in order to help the compiler.
The reason I did not tackle this project yet is that I was not able to make up a nice type-system and a syntax that allows for full compile-time reflection and clean macros. A lisp-like syntax would be possible and implementing clean macros would become easy but I do not like lisp syntax that much. Clean macros without lisp syntax could become very hard. Another question is what types should be supported natively and what types should be derived from native types using meta-programming?

If someone had any great ideas on the syntax and type-system I could probably write a small compiler (I have some experience with compilers) but I could not make up a satisfying language definition yet.

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:20 am UTC

Bubbles McCoy wrote:Anyway, not trying to be mean here, but I sense a general theme in your posts that you care far more about how the code makes you feel rather than the quality and maintainability of your product.

Well, yes and no. Yes in that I care very much how my code makes me feel and will tend to code in such a way that I like what I've written, but no in that I tend to like high-quality, maintainable code. Non-GC code isn't necessarily lower quality and isn't really necessarily less maintainable. It is a bit more work, but it's not like that doesn't come with its advantages. A lot of the reason code makes me feel good is because of the advantages it offers: I don't like unmanaged code arbitrarily, I like it because it offers control. My point isn't that I'm okay with it despite the fact that it's worse, it's that I'm okay with it despite the fact that it isn't objectively better.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

MoD

Postby MoD » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:35 am UTC

korona wrote:
Yakk wrote:Yes.

What I want is a C/C++ level language with the ability to do compile time introspection of class type structures, and metaclasses of classes with access to that.

So I can say "GarbageCollected class foo", which causes compile-time parsing of the methods/variables of foo. It can, for example, check that each data member of foo is also GarbageCollected. Similarly, when the foo type is used (not the instances, the type), it can validate the context (so raw pointers to foo aren't allowed). In effect, I want to be able to in-language have enough power to create a Java/C# esque "managed" typesystem.

Similarly, I want to be able to say "Reflecting class foo", and have it make the members of foo Reflect. Or "Property class foo", and when I create Property members their access has implicit access to the this pointer (in effect, I modify both code in foo, and code that uses foo). But I want this to happen with zero run-time cost, a modest compile-time cost, and with a system strong enough to do these kind of things in the language without it being a bunch of hard-coded keywords that only do this (because I don't know what else could be done this way..).

Then I can have a GC GUI low-performance reflectable system embedded adjacent to my high-performance audio filtering, without having to deal with crossing a language barrier half way.

That is exactly the reason why always wanted to develop a new language. I want a language that can do:
  • Static typing (required for performance reasons) but support for type inference
  • Have a rich type system that allows garbage collected object, native pointers and possibly other memory management approaches.
    There are other nice possible types that could be supported, e.g. javascript like prototyped objects.
  • Flexibility: For example sometimes I might want to control the exact layout of my structs like in C++
  • Meta-programming to the extent that it is possible to integrate domain specific languages like SQL in a nice way. This basically means that I want support for clean macros like in lisp and full compile-time reflection.
  • Easily extensible with minimal core features: Syntax and type system should be extensible. A for-each loop could be implemented as a macro. Even classes could be implemented on top of structs
    when the language supports full compile-time reflection. Garbage collected types could be build on top of non-garbage collected ones. Runtime reflection could be implemented using compile-time reflection.
  • Possible option: Support for constraints that can be checked during compile type to formally verify correctness. This could possibly be part of the type system, for example you could have a "integer between 5 and 7" type that can be converted to "integer" but not to "integer between 6 and 7" unless the compiler can prove that the value will never equal 5. You would need statements to tell the compiler "you can safely assume that variable a has type 'int between 5 and 6'" and "do a runtime check to ensure this condition" in order to help the compiler.
The reason I did not tackle this project yet is that I was not able to make up a nice type-system and a syntax that allows for full compile-time reflection and clean macros. A lisp-like syntax would be possible and implementing clean macros would become easy but I do not like lisp syntax that much. Clean macros without lisp syntax could become very hard. Another question is what types should be supported natively and what types should be derived from native types using meta-programming?

If someone had any great ideas on the syntax and type-system I could probably write a small compiler (I have some experience with compilers) but I could not make up a satisfying language definition yet.

This is eerily similar to what I've been working on (in strictly design stages, 0 LOC written) for a while. I lack a formal background in language design so I've been reading loads of papers and trying to understand them, but the gist of what I've been thinking about is as follows:

• The language is roughly C-like to allow working at a low level. If anything, it's slightly lower-level than C because it allows programmers some level of compile-time information about the target processor. See next bullet point.
  • Code generation is a key facet of the language. There are facilities for specifying code to be run at compile time (to produce other code to compile, or to verify code present prior to compilation, or some combination of these), and for specifying the modification of code at runtime. In the same way C has const and non-const data variables, there will be const and non-const functions and both function pointers and direct function variables (e.g. for a function whose machine code is on the stack).
  • To make it possible to portably interact with these, there is a machine-independent representation of source code (more properly, of the AST) that is included in compiled binaries along with the functions' machine code. This is used to manipulate the function itself, and the interface is akin to that of a struct in C, with a couple notable differences. These are that the length (in number of fields), the type of each field, and the index of each field is available, so you can index into a heterogenous struct representing the code and modify it. (I'm thinking something like foo{3} for syntax but that's just a thought and might make parsing ugly if you have C-style blocks.)
  • To assist in abstracting away the process of code generation and validation, and ensure it is done correctly, there's a system of 'attributes' on types. Much like const in C, you can declare each part of a function's type with a given attribute (e.g. const char* const being a constant pointer to a constant integer). That attribute will cause a compile-time function to run on the AST of the function, and perform a check (or optionally a change, as would be necessary for e.g. garbage collection) to the function such that it returns the required type.

Issues:
  • Is this a wannabe-lisp?

I don't think it is, considering the design of the part of the language people will be using is substantially different, and instead of lists of homoiconic entities as the method of introspection, there are array-like structs of heterogenous entities. Performance will be C-like because it's only [perhaps self-modifying, depending on the program text] machine code that ultimately gets output.

• How portable would it be?

The language runtime/compiler (the runtime must contain at least the backend of the compiler if it's to perform modification of functions at runtime) has to manage at least getting memory from the OS and setting permissions on it, parsing the binary representation of functions' ASTs stored in the binary, and generating output code. That doesn't seem too complex or system-dependent.

I also don't know exactly how the typesystem would work. In my head it's similar to C, with perhaps a bit of generality added and some strictness.

Some relevant links+papers+quotes:
http://lists.warhead.org.uk/pipermail/i ... 00130.html
http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1251229.1251230
<MaleKitten> Types are propositions, and programs are proofs. If your program satisfies the type, then it is a proof of the proposition.
<rpearl> That is true, but the proposition is one that is encoded in the type. There are many derivations of certain proofs. Consider:
map :: (a -> b) -> [a] -> [b]
And [a] is shorthand for a recursive type: \forall a . \mu l . (a * l) + ().
And the translation of types to propositions means that the sum type -- either I have () or I have a list, translates to a logical connective of "or". The product type -- I have an a and the rest of the list -- translates to "and" .
The proposition is therefore that, for all a, for all b, if a implies b, then true or (a and list of a) implies true or (b and list of b).
There are several proofs of this proposition, and some of them are useless.
The standard one:
map f [] = []
map f (x:xs) = f x : map f xs
Is what we want.
There's another one, though:
map f [] = []
map f (x:xs) = [f x]
And many others that aren't so useful as the standard one.
Anyway, this has been a long and roundabout way of saying that, while a good type system give you a lot of nice static properties about a program, you simply cannot ignore dynamic semantics and rely on the types. Well-typed programs are correct in that they will not reach a state where evaluation is undefined / get stuck ("I'm supposed to do what? These are Strings, not Ints!"), but they do not imply correctness of the program, even though they do provide a proof of a proposition!
Spoiler:
L wrote:I wanna be past-MoD when I grow up
and then I guess present-MoD a little bit after that
and then future-MoD for the rest of my life!
@-={-,
}

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:36 am UTC

God damn, I seriously need to get into functional programming. I need more motivation :|
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Ben-oni

Postby Ben-oni » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:02 am UTC

MoD wrote:tl;dq

It looks less like a wanna-be Lisp than a wanna-be Java. Granted Java trades out compile time information for runtime information in all cases, but meh. The difference is transparent so it's purely academic (except when things change at runtime, which is actually pretty important.) You might want to check out using Scala. While not "low-level" in any sense, because it can interact with Java which in turn interacts with native code (through a terrible, ugly, and slow native-code barrier) you can get most of what you want.

As for specific features you're looking for, I would recommend coming up with examples where it would be useful and where modern methods are insufficient for the task. In particular, why should functions be mutable?

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:47 am UTC

By the way, is functional programming actually more divorced from how a computer actually works, or do I just irrationally feel that way? It seems like an S-expression doesn't map as easily to specific processor instructions as a C expression might.

Pixyn25

Postby Pixyn25 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:44 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:It seems like an S-expression doesn't map as easily to specific processor instructions as a C expression might.

Some S-expressions can map onto bytecode for a stack machine.
e.g.

Code: Select all

The (kind of) Scheme code (begin (display (+ (nextInteger) 7)) (newline)) maps to
<bytecode>
call nextInteger;
push 7;
call + (passing 2 args);
call display (passing 1 arg); <remove result from display>;
call newline;

But then it gets slightly tougher once we try to translate lambda expressions, closures, etc. I imagine you would have to store the lambdas somewhere as data (which is what S-expressions are anyway)

sourmìlk wrote:By the way, is functional programming actually more divorced from how a computer actually works, or do I just irrationally feel that way?

In what way is it divorced from the computer?

town.addChangeListener(new ChangeListener(){
   public void stateChanged(ChangeEvent e){
      if(e instanceof NewPersonInTown) throw new WelcomeParty();
   }
}

Take off your shipping goggles and put on the friendshipping goggles instead.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:57 am UTC

Ben-oni wrote:
MoD wrote:tl;dq

It looks less like a wanna-be Lisp than a wanna-be Java.

Funny. It reminded me most of Forth, even though the language described isn't stack-oriented. Probably because of the intermingling of compiletime and runtime.

sourmìlk wrote:By the way, is functional programming actually more divorced from how a computer actually works, or do I just irrationally feel that way? It seems like an S-expression doesn't map as easily to specific processor instructions as a C expression might.

I would say declarative languages (including functional ones) are slightly more distant from actual computer mechanics simply because computer hardware (and the entire physical world, for that matter) works imperative, where things have mutable state and order matters: "in order to achieve X first do this, then do that..." instead of "X is defined such-and-such". I believe this is one of the reasons why people tend to prefer one style over the other; it depends on whether you're a Platonist or an Aristotelian. Of course, Platonists will maintain that "actual computer mechanics" is just a shadow of what's really actually happening. ;)

I don't think the (apparent) similarity between language constructs and processor instructions is any relevant, though. In most languages most of the similarity is an illusion anyway. Even in C!

Come to think of it, Forth might be "closer to the metal" than C. Isn't that ironic?
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:44 pm UTC

I have no idea anymore wrote:tl;dq

You should check out Ur. It has static typing, extensible records (which are a more disciplined form of prototypes), and it checks for invalid SQL, dead links, and more that I can't remember. Details on how the type system works (technically, the kind system) is available here.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:18 am UTC

Pixyn25 wrote:In what way is it divorced from the computer?

It seems like (and this could be wrong) that LISP or Haskell or other functional languages describe behaviours in a much more abstract way than imperative languages do. If I use a functional language to map a function to every element of a list, that's only one statement (which can be practical) in a functional language, but in an imperative statement it might have to more explicitly list the steps taken to do that. Again, I could be wrong here. This is sort of my intuitive understanding of language paradigms, I don't have data to support it. It is quite possible that I'm just more used to imperative languages and so I have an easier time visualizing how they map to discrete processor operations.

Ben-oni

Postby Ben-oni » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:45 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:
Pixyn25 wrote:In what way is it divorced from the computer?

It seems like (and this could be wrong) that LISP or Haskell or other functional languages describe behaviours in a much more abstract way than imperative languages do. If I use a functional language to map a function to every element of a list, that's only one statement (which can be practical) in a functional language, but in an imperative statement it might have to more explicitly list the steps taken to do that. Again, I could be wrong here. This is sort of my intuitive understanding of language paradigms, I don't have data to support it. It is quite possible that I'm just more used to imperative languages and so I have an easier time visualizing how they map to discrete processor operations.

As far as Haskell goes, translating something even as trivial as map to bytecode is tricky, but mostly because of the evaluation: it's lazy, so it doesn't translate to similar imperative code. Consider a circularly linked list and apply map to it. In an imperative language, a naive implementation could loop forever unless it knows the list is circular and treats it as a special case. In Haskell, no problem. "map f $ cycle xs" is the same as "cycle $ map f xs" (note that "cycle" transforms a list into a circular list.) So, translating the code isn't as easy as it might seem.

However, with Lisp it's not so bad. A strict map is easy to follow, and implements as expected. In fact, strict, pure, functional code is easier than you think to translate to assembler. All memory is reference counted, because circular dependencies can never occur; functions are passed as a pointer to the function and a pointer to its lexically bound variables. Lisp itself isn't as high level as you make it sound: and since it's been around forever, this should make sense. It's merely the language features it offers which allow programmers to work at a higher level that make it seem like "not a low level language".

None of this should be surprising: what tools do programmers use the most? Well, it might differ, but I find that compilers and interpreters are way up there. Now, if these tools are useful to programmers, why shouldn't they have access to them all the time? That's the Lisp philosophy: programmers already use code as the data inputted into compilers, so be honest about it and give them the flexibility to do that whenever they want. After that, the only thing that makes Lisp functional is the inline functions (lambda-expressions) that can be passed and called whenever, wherever. C++0x might require careful observance of scoping rules (make sure the references you bind to will still exist by the time you call the function), but it does about the same thing.

So Lisp isn't really any higher level than C++; after all, macros are no more complex than the (turing complete) template system. Did you know you can build a Lisp entirely out of C++ templates?

Since declarative programming is the holy grail of all programmers working in all languages, the fact that you can do such things in even C++ shouldn't be surprising. So there really isn't much difference between Lisp and C++, except for the built-in garbage collector (and even that depends on your flavor).

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:23 pm UTC

Methinks I need to get into LISP. And then Haskell, but for a reason I can't quite put my finger on, Haskell scares me a bit. Do you all recommend CLisp or Scheme? Did I just ask a stupid or inflammatory question?

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:14 pm UTC

I'm a Common Lisper, but Scheme does have some things to recommend it. It also has some things to dis-recommend it, like their weirdness about macros.

I'd recommend learning Clojure if you started learning a Lisp today, though.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:20 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:Methinks I need to get into LISP. And then Haskell, but for a reason I can't quite put my finger on, Haskell scares me a bit. Do you all recommend CLisp or Scheme? Did I just ask a stupid or inflammatory question?

See here for my comments.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:25 pm UTC

Clojure is compatible with Java libraries? Holy shit, I'm using clojure. With Java libraries available to me I can think of plenty of things I'd like to do.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:35 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:Clojure is compatible with Java libraries? Holy shit, I'm using clojure. With Java libraries available to me I can think of plenty of things I'd like to do.

Just in case my other post wasn't clear, other Lisps will usually give you a C FFI, so you can also do plenty with those. :-) But if you want to use a library that someone hasn't already written bindings for (e.g. through SWIG), it's not a clean boundary and you've got some work to do. (As opposed to Clojure, which Just Works.)

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:40 pm UTC

Ben-oni wrote:As far as Haskell goes, translating something even as trivial as map to bytecode is tricky, but mostly because of the evaluation: it's lazy, so it doesn't translate to similar imperative code. Consider a circularly linked list and apply map to it. In an imperative language, a naive implementation could loop forever unless it knows the list is circular and treats it as a special case. In Haskell, no problem. "map f $ cycle xs" is the same as "cycle $ map f xs" (note that "cycle" transforms a list into a circular list.) So, translating the code isn't as easy as it might seem.
Exposure to Python's generators can help understand what kind of imperative code could substitute here.

A python generator is a function with two return states -- it either returns an element, or an error (via throw, but that isn't important) that it is out of elements. You query it for each element in turn, and it produces the element you asked for "on demand". It could be backed by a list that actually has the elements, or it could not be -- it doesn't matter to the user.

So, instead of thinking of map taking a list and returning a list, think of it as taking a generator for a list and returning a generator for a list. Naturally, it isn't quite that simple, but it should give you an idea that isn't "and then magic happens". :)
Did you know you can build a Lisp entirely out of C++ templates?
Note that this isn't true in practice, because of the recursion limit that both the standard allows and compilers enforce (by not handling deeper recursion). :)

However, every C++ programmer should at least write the compile-time Fibonacci.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:42 am UTC

A lambda function in a std::map<int, std::function<stuff>> segmentation faults.

dat stack trace

?? ()
std::function<void (CharacterEventType, Character*)>::function(std::function<void (CharacterEventType, Character*)> const&) (this=0x7fffffffdd08, __x=@0x7ffff7f4a130: {<std::_Maybe_unary_or_binary_function<void, CharacterEventType, Character*>> = {<std::binary_function<CharacterEventType, Character*, void>> = {<No data fields>}, <No data fields>}, <std::_Function_base> = {static _M_max_size = 16, static _M_max_align = 8, _M_functor = {_M_unused = {_M_object = 0x2, _M_const_object = 0x2, _M_function_pointer = 0x2, _M_member_pointer = (void (std::_Undefined_class::*)(std::_Undefined_class * const)) 0x2, this adjustment 270582939711}, _M_pod_data = \"\\002\\000\\000\\000\\000\\000\\000\\000?\\000\\000\\000?\\000\\000\"}, _M_manager = 0x623150}, _M_invoker = 0})
std::pair<int, std::function<void (CharacterEventType, Character*)> >::pair<int const, std::function<void (CharacterEventType, Character*)>, void>(std::pair<int const, std::function<void (CharacterEventType, Character*)> > const&) (this=0x7fffffffdd00, __p=@0x7ffff7f4a128: {first = 1, second = {<std::_Maybe_unary_or_binary_function<void, CharacterEventType, Character*>> = {<std::binary_function<CharacterEventType, Character*, void>> = {<No data fields>}, <No data fields>}, <std::_Function_base> = {static _M_max_size = 16, static _M_max_align = 8, _M_functor = {_M_unused = {_M_object = 0x2, _M_const_object = 0x2, _M_function_pointer = 0x2, _M_member_pointer = (void (std::_Undefined_class::*)(std::_Undefined_class * const)) 0x2, this adjustment 270582939711}, _M_pod_data = \"\\002\\000\\000\\000\\000\\000\\000\\000?\\000\\000\\000?\\000\\000\"}, _M_manager = 0x623150}, _M_invoker = 0}})

--edit--

Turns out, if you cause a lambda function to fall out of scope from within the lambda function while it's running and accessing its data, bad things occasionally happen.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:05 am UTC

I've been learning Haskell for roughly 1 week.

Is this a sensible way to generate an alternating sequence of integers, or is there a standard function to replace my zipWith ($) ?

zipWith ($) (cycle [id,negate]) [1..]

Ben-oni

Postby Ben-oni » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:34 am UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:I've been learning Haskell for roughly 1 week.

Is this a sensible way to generate an alternating sequence of integers, or is there a standard function to replace my zipWith ($) ?

One of the beauties of Haskell is that it mirrors mathematical notations quite elegantly. While your method definitely works, I don't think it's at all sensible, because it obscures the underlying math. Usually we write ak = {(-1)n+1n} for n in N, which translates naturally to

map (\n -> (-1)^(n+1) * n) [1..]

Or, more clearly:

map (\n -> if even n then -n else n) [1..]

If what you're really looking at is a way to apply a function to every other element...

unfoldr (\(fs, n) -> Just (head fs n, (tail fs, n+1))) (cycle [id, negate], 1)
...yes, we can always find more complicated ways of doing simple things. But then there's simple:

zipWith (*) (cycle [1, -1]) [1..]

This last one also appears to perform fastest, though I only did a simple test without any optimizations on.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:06 am UTC

Ben-oni wrote:One of the beauties of Haskell...

I feel like I should make fun of you for having a love affair with functional programming, but frankly I have similar reactions to (of all things) C++. (I secretly don't think it's overrated, and that it's quite good and powerful).

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:27 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:
Ben-oni wrote:One of the beauties of Haskell...

I feel like I should make fun of you for having a love affair with functional programming, but frankly I have similar reactions to (of all things) C++. (I secretly don't think it's overrated, and that it's quite good and powerful).

To be fair, C++ did get hella sexy with C++11.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:40 am UTC

It is largely C++11 that I like. I mean, C++ was already pretty cool with templates, but C++11's additions are awesome. Type traits and variadic templates alone add so much, and that's not even counting some of the things that should have been there all along, like final and override keywords etc. I can't wait until more compilers support more features.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:28 pm UTC

Incidentally, if you want it to have all the integers and not just alternating ones, you can do it with

0 : ([id, negate] <*> [1..])
-- 0, 1, -1, 2, -2, ...
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Ben-oni

Postby Ben-oni » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:43 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:I feel like I should make fun of you for having a love affair with functional programming, but frankly I have similar reactions to (of all things) C++. (I secretly don't think it's overrated, and that it's quite good and powerful).

You don't know what you're talking about, and the continual insults are starting to try my patience. Please stop.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:51 pm UTC

Ben-oni wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:I feel like I should make fun of you for having a love affair with functional programming, but frankly I have similar reactions to (of all things) C++. (I secretly don't think it's overrated, and that it's quite good and powerful).

You don't know what you're talking about, and the continual insults are starting to try my patience. Please stop.

???

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:23 pm UTC

Ben-oni wrote:

...?

I have not once insulted you, including there.

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:37 am UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:Incidentally, if you want it to have all the integers and not just alternating ones, you can do it with

0 : ([id, negate] <*> [1..])
-- 0, 1, -1, 2, -2, ...

really?

Prelude Control.Applicative> take 10 $ 0 : ([id, negate] <*> [1..])
[0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9]

now this, on the other hand, actually does what you were trying to do, but is much less pretty:

0 : (flip ($) <$> [1..] <*> [id, negate])

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:43 am UTC

Thanks for the replies, people. I'm sure I'll have more questions soon. I'm still trying to get my head around programming without iterative loops or assignment. It's very hard to break the imperative style thought patterns of several decades...

Ben-oni wrote:

One of the beauties of Haskell is that it mirrors mathematical notations quite elegantly. While your method definitely works, I don't think it's at all sensible, because it obscures the underlying math. Usually we write ak = {(-1)n+1n} for n in N, which translates naturally to

map (\n -> (-1)^(n+1) * n) [1..]

Or, more clearly:

map (\n -> if even n then -n else n) [1..]

If what you're really looking at is a way to apply a function to every other element...

...yes, we can always find more complicated ways of doing simple things. But then there's simple:

zipWith (*) (cycle [1, -1]) [1..]

This last one also appears to perform fastest, though I only did a simple test without any optimizations on.

Well, I did try the zipWith (*) approach, but I figured that zipWith ($) was slightly more elegant and perhaps more efficient. Believe it or not, my first thought was to use something like (\n -> (-1)^(n+1) * n), but I felt that a method that didn't use exponentiation ought to be more efficient, although I guess that the optimisation genie could take care of that.

I guess that map (\n -> if even n then -n else n) [1..] is probably the simplest & clearest approach in this case, OTOH, it would require modificaton if I wanted to create a different alternating sequence, eg [1,-3,5,-7,...].

I find

a bit baffling at this stage. I suppose I need to sit down with pencil & paper and work out what's going on there. Why does it use Just?

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:05 am UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:Why does it use Just?
unfoldr is of type (b -> Maybe (a, b)) -> b -> [a]
The function can return Nothing to end the list; since this is an infinite list, that feature happens not to be used.

Edit: Example:

Prelude Data.List> unfoldr (\(fs, n) -> if n >= 10 then Nothing else Just (head fs n, (tail fs, n+1))) (cycle [id, negate], 1)
[1,-2,3,-4,5,-6,7,-8,9]
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:22 am UTC

Ah. Thanks, chridd. I have read about the fold family, but I'd forgotten that they return a Maybe. I'm currently reading the later chapters of "Learn You a Haskell For Great Good", but it's all getting a bit jumbled up in my head. :)

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:07 am UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:Ah. Thanks, chridd. I have read about the fold family, but I'd forgotten that they return a Maybe. I'm currently reading the later chapters of "Learn You a Haskell For Great Good", but it's all getting a bit jumbled up in my head. :)
In case I wasn't clear: The fold functions don't return Maybe (unless that happens to be the type you choose for it to return), but the function you pass to unfoldr does.
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:48 am UTC

chridd wrote:
PM 2Ring wrote:Ah. Thanks, chridd. I have read about the fold family, but I'd forgotten that they return a Maybe. I'm currently reading the later chapters of "Learn You a Haskell For Great Good", but it's all getting a bit jumbled up in my head. :)
In case I wasn't clear: The fold functions don't return Maybe (unless that happens to be the type you choose for it to return), but the function you pass to unfoldr does.

Oops! You were clear; I just wasn't reading properly. :)

I'm currently writing a Haskell program to calculate e to arbitrary precision. I've just got it working correctly, but I'm sure it's rather inefficient. In an imperative language, I'd print each block of digits as I generate them, but I don't know how to do that sort of thing in Haskell, so I'm just collecting all the digits into a list & printing them out at the end.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:46 am UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:I'm currently writing a Haskell program to calculate e to arbitrary precision. I've just got it working correctly, but I'm sure it's rather inefficient. In an imperative language, I'd print each block of digits as I generate them, but I don't know how to do that sort of thing in Haskell, so I'm just collecting all the digits into a list & printing them out at the end.

Depending on how exactly you're writing your program, the latter might very well amount to the former.
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Ben-oni

Postby Ben-oni » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:55 am UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:I'm currently writing a Haskell program to calculate e to arbitrary precision. I've just got it working correctly, but I'm sure it's rather inefficient. In an imperative language, I'd print each block of digits as I generate them, but I don't know how to do that sort of thing in Haskell, so I'm just collecting all the digits into a list & printing them out at the end.

The easy way, I think, would be to calculate e as a Rational and then print the Rational. I can get the first thousand digits in a few seconds, but it's hardly efficient (10000 decimal places takes several minutes). But now I have more e than I'll ever need.

If you have an incremental solution, would mind sharing your code?

Spoiler:

e =

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:24 pm UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:In an imperative language, I'd print each block of digits as I generate them, but I don't know how to do that sort of thing in Haskell, so I'm just collecting all the digits into a list & printing them out at the end.

Bear in mind that Haskell is lazy... so if your code is generating the digits (or blocks of digits) in order, and whatever you're passing them to on the IO side is looping over the list and printing them as they come (on both counts: probably) then laziness will do that for you.

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:59 pm UTC

I've been writing a PHP library for developers working on common websites. Basically, it's a proper framework built from what I've seen countless people re-engineer every time they make a new website. The make a user system, a blog system, a way to store files, a contact form system... And I just realized how insane this feature creep is, even when I'm building with developer flexibility in mind. I'm really seeing why developers are burned out trying to hand-code everything from scratch, and libraries/frameworks can take too much of a learning curve.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:05 pm UTC

Today I tried to write a simple, in-place, quick sort in C. 24 hours later I realized that quick sort is an unstable sort, so I returned to a simple insertion sort.

I should really code in C more often. Python's spoonfed me for a long time.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:26 pm UTC

Writing a simple quick sort in C is easy. First, write a wrapper around a C++ source file, and call std::stable_sort( ptr, ptr+length ).
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:51 pm UTC

I got lost there. Do you mean importing C++ code into C or is that supposed to be C source file? I don't know if I can use the standard library that liberally on our assignment.

Return to “Coding”