PHP and Javascript Tutorials

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Prelates, Moderators General

PHP and Javascript Tutorials

Postby GrawSith » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:50 am UTC

i enjoy coding, I'm only an amateur so far but it's been fun. Right now I'm messing with Python and Applescript, but I have a webserver all to myself (it's basically just a photo gallery and online dumpster right now), so I was wondering if Javascript or PHP would be good / easy to learn, and if you guys would know any good tutorials.
GrawSith

Re: Oh, the possibilites...

Postby arcoain » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:12 am UTC

those are good to learn, and are unlikely to become dated soon. Depending on how anti-Microsoft you are, I would consider learning C#/ASP.NET; its a pretty powerful combo with a nice IDE. but yeah, PHP and javascript are good things to know. as for good tutorials, I would start with w3 schools ( http://www.w3schools.com/php/default.asp ) and move on from there.
arcoain
arcoain

Re: PHP and Javascript Tutorials

Postby Hammer » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:35 pm UTC

IRT.org has a JavaScript FAQ that I've found very helpful over the years.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."
Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby pieaholicx » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:02 pm UTC

I would highly suggest PHPFreaks for learning PHP.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.
pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby MissingDividends » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:57 am UTC

There are many great sites for learning php. My latest favorite is http://killerphp.com/.

I'm not sure if you already know html or not, but if not, http://htmldog.com is a useful site.
MissingDividends

Postby RaptorAttack » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:17 pm UTC

GrawSith wrote:i enjoy coding, I'm only an amateur so far but it's been fun. Right now I'm messing with Python and Applescript, but I have a webserver all to myself (it's basically just a photo gallery and online dumpster right now), so I was wondering if Javascript or PHP would be good / easy to learn, and if you guys would know any good tutorials.

Hey - I am also an amateur and still have a lot to learn, but I have found both Javascript and PHP to be quite interesting. Javascript gets interesting when you start looking at how it relates to the Document Object Model and figuring out how to make your website change or respond to things a browser does. I don't think that's basic stuff though, just something you could keep in mind and look up once you get the hang of the basics.

I haven't played with Javascript in a while, so I don't have any good tutorials bookmarked. However, this is the best PHP beginner's tutorial I have found so far:

http://devzone.zend.com/tag/PHP101

Tutorials online can be frustrating when they're so poorly written and don't explain what is going on and just give you code to copy/paste, but I found these tutorials to be very friendly and informative. They're probably the tutorials that helped me get enough of a handle on PHP to start doing interesting things with it.
RaptorAttack

Postby IIMarckus » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:41 am UTC

I find Tizag tutorials to be a great way to get started, if a bit lacking when it comes to more advanced functions. That along with some open-source software is where I began PHP.
IIMarckus

Return to Coding