Java

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

pancck

Java

Postby pancck » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:53 am UTC

Hey, I know VB pretty well, and I am currently learning JAVA. Java is tougher than VB already, and I was just wondering on a scale of 1-10 how hard Java is...

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Re: Java

Postby b.i.o » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:37 am UTC

That'd be a pretty arbitrary scale. Different things are harder for different people to learn, and even learn is an ambiguous term. Do you mean 'learn the basics of' or 'learn how to do advanced stuff' by learn?

Java's really not that hard in comparison to most languages. It's syntax is possibly harder to get the hang of than VB's, but as an actual language it's not at all hard to learn, at least in comparison to something like C/C++.

pancck

Postby pancck » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:48 am UTC

Yeah, that is sorta what I ment. I guess my question was a bit vague. I just didn't know if it ranked up there in complexity with all of these other languages I hear about. I am think I would still prefer VB to java.. but I have never been all that extreme a coder, just casually do it.

mountaingoat

Postby mountaingoat » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:15 am UTC

I only know those two languages, but I don't find Java very hard. I like it way more than VB though.

ash.gti

Postby ash.gti » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:47 am UTC

I look at it like this...

Any programming language can be complicated if you know the intricacies of the language. Every programming language I know has the ability to be written in a way that is very hard to follow, and hard to read. Also, if you don't know how certain things work, like pointers, then somethings will really confuse you really easily.

But most languages do not HAVE to be complicated if you want to keep it simple, use basic features and functions, and use clear control structures and variables.

Java can be written in ways that make it easy to understand, easy to follow, and easy to learn. I'd personally say its one of the less complicated programming languages, no idea how to scale it because I don't know what the scale is relative to. Java's more complicated than VB, but you can do more with it. Java is also less complicated than say C++ but its slower.
# drinks WAY to much espresso

microwaved

Postby microwaved » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:32 pm UTC

How well have you grasped the idea of object oriented programming? Java was the second language I learned after C, and it took me a good week or two to get used to the idea of objected oriented programming. Once I got that concept down though, java wasn't very hard at all.

pancck

Postby pancck » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:39 pm UTC

Well, VB is object oriented isn't it? That is the language that I learned programming logic and structure in, and I am very used to it. The thing that is mixing me up in java is how you import certain things to use be able to do more, that you cannot easily make a .exe, and how the program runs as you interact with it- whereas in VB you would write the program, compile then hit a "start" or "calculate" button usually..

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:03 am UTC

pancck wrote:Well, VB is object oriented isn't it? That is the language that I learned programming logic and structure in, and I am very used to it. The thing that is mixing me up in java is how you import certain things to use be able to do more, that you cannot easily make a .exe, and how the program runs as you interact with it- whereas in VB you would write the program, compile then hit a "start" or "calculate" button usually..

I believe VB has support for object oriented programming, but it's not an OO language, I don't think, whereas Java is completely object oriented.

What part of importing things confuses you? Are you familiar with the [url=http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/]API[/url}? It's your best friend in Java programming.

There are IDE's for Java (Eclipse, for example) which have a compile button, but you can program Java in pretty much any text editor, and then run/compile things from a command line with java/javac. Java generally doesn't have .exe files because Java is a very portable language and .exe files are Windows executable files. If you need an executable you can create executive .jar files, but that's something you shouldn't even think about getting into for a while.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:42 am UTC

That depends on what you consider OO... if you are talking about VB.Net, I think it definitely qualifies.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:37 am UTC

If it is VB.Net you know, I would maybe suggest learning C# first. The syntax of the language is very similar to Java, but it will give you an intermediate step so you don't have to learn both the syntax and a new API at the same time. (Not to mention you'll have experience with another programming language).

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:48 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:If it is VB.Net you know, I would maybe suggest learning C# first. The syntax of the language is very similar to Java, but it will give you an intermediate step so you don't have to learn both the syntax and a new API at the same time. (Not to mention you'll have experience with another programming language).

That's actually a really good idea.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:18 am UTC

I learned Java as my first language, so it's hard for me to know exactly how difficult it is to learn, since I learned all the basic aspects of programming, as well as the basics of OOP, along with it. I find that it can be easier than C for a lot of things since it handles memory allocation for you, you don't need to worry about pointers or memory leaks or anything like that.

If you're proficient in Java, though, you shouldn't have a hard time learning C or C++, most basic things (functions, conditional statements, loops) aren't much different. I became comfortable with C in about a week, its mainly memory manipulation and the lack of objects that you need to get used to.

What's important to keep in mind, though, is that you don't need to know everything about a language to program in it, as long as you understand basic programming principles. Often times learning how to do what you need with as few tools as possible is worth the practice and experience. It may not be the most efficient way to code, but it will make you a better programmer, and as a student learning is more important than producing the most efficient code possible. Learning a language isn't about knowing how to do every possible thing in it, it's knowing enough to code in it efficiently and, if you aren't sure how to do something, easily look it up.

Return to “Coding”