Summer

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

ehntoo

Summer

Postby ehntoo » Sat May 31, 2008 2:36 am UTC

So its summer. I don't have anything to code. Are there any problems or excersizes I could try?

darren

Re: Summer

Postby darren » Sat May 31, 2008 3:06 am UTC

Last edited by darren on Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

masher

Postby masher » Sat May 31, 2008 3:11 am UTC

darren wrote:Write a RDF/OWL triple store that can do OWL-full inferencing and scale to 100 billion+ triples, with lookup time in the miliseconds, in CJava.

Fix'd

I have seen some other threads asking the same question.

There is a website that has some stuff on it, but I have no idea on how to find it... Maybe search around the fora?

darren

Postby darren » Sat May 31, 2008 3:40 am UTC

masher wrote:
darren wrote:Write a RDF/OWL triple store that can do OWL-full inferencing and scale to 100 billion+ triples, with lookup time in the miliseconds, in CJava.

Fix'dBroken

There are dozens of triple stores written in java and they all suck. And it's excluding much of the open source and linux community because java doesn't interoperate well with anything.

Kirby54925

Postby Kirby54925 » Sat May 31, 2008 4:39 am UTC

darren wrote:Write a RDF/OWL triple store that can do OWL-full inferencing and scale to 100 billion+ triples, with lookup time in the miliseconds, in C Common Lisp.

Fix'd.

darren

Postby darren » Sat May 31, 2008 5:04 am UTC

Kirby54925 wrote:
darren wrote:Write a RDF/OWL triple store that can do OWL-full inferencing and scale to 100 billion+ triples, with lookup time in the miliseconds, in C Common Lisp.

Fix'd.

I can live with that :wink: now get coding.

mrkite

Postby mrkite » Sat May 31, 2008 7:29 am UTC

Rewrite Future Crew's Second Reality in Javascript+Canvas Tag.

k1ll3rdr4g0n

Postby k1ll3rdr4g0n » Sat May 31, 2008 7:29 pm UTC

ehntoo wrote:So its summer. I don't have anything to code. Are there any problems or excersizes I could try?

Program an offline SVN-like repository system :).

Archena

Postby Archena » Sat May 31, 2008 11:26 pm UTC

Any particular language?

I have a couple of c projects I'm planning to try this summer...

1) Implement the Huffman compression algorithm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huffman_coding)
2) Write a program which compiles regular expressions (to finite state machines) and tests them against input strings

Of course 1 may be generalised to "implement [x] algorithm". There's an almost endless supply of interesting algorithms to play with.
Last edited by Archena on Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Got a lovebite from a wasp
Sexy little hexapod *

darren

Postby darren » Sat May 31, 2008 11:43 pm UTC

k1ll3rdr4g0n wrote:
ehntoo wrote:So its summer. I don't have anything to code. Are there any problems or excersizes I could try?

SVN *is* an offline SVN-like repository system

k1ll3rdr4g0n

Postby k1ll3rdr4g0n » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:29 am UTC

darren wrote:
k1ll3rdr4g0n wrote:

SVN *is* an offline SVN-like repository system

I think I should have expanded on it, sorry. -

Think of a document versioning. SVN is wayyy overboard for something like that. Just to keep track of a few word documents...I highly doubt you would recommend SVN. And web based SVN systems are flimsy (but still useful in some cases). I could spell it all out, but I think a better example of what I was trying to imply was something similar to FileHamster. An application that doesn't require a server of any kind in order to be used.

And I consider SVN an online repository system because it requires a server to be running (wither that be SVN by itself or the Apache module running on Apache) online on your network (or locally). Sure you download all the data offline, but if the server isn't online then you can't do any commits thus defeating the purpose of having a document tracking system.

darren

Postby darren » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:12 am UTC

mrkite

Postby mrkite » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:06 am UTC

k1ll3rdr4g0n wrote:Think of a document versioning. SVN is wayyy overboard for something like that. Just to keep track of a few word documents..

I'd recommend GIT for that. No server required.

k1ll3rdr4g0n

Postby k1ll3rdr4g0n » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:43 am UTC

mrkite wrote:
k1ll3rdr4g0n wrote:Think of a document versioning. SVN is wayyy overboard for something like that. Just to keep track of a few word documents..

I'd recommend GIT for that. No server required.

GIT would be good for the developer or computer enthusiast, however for the average person the command line would deter most people (I only scanned the documentation, there probably are GUI interfaces like there are for SVN).
I actually like the concept of "FileHamster" where everytime you save it makes a copy of it to the "repository" AND it's all controlled using a GUI interface. But SVN and GIT actually need to be called manually (or automagically in cron or as a "scheduled task"). Something like FileHamster just works in the background without the user having to hit another save button, excellent for the average user. When choosing software and making software you always have to think about the lowest demonator. Sure, me or you could pick on things like GIT and SVN real quick, but does that also apply to Joe down the street who does underwater basket weaving for a living? Probably not.

Now lets not get too offtopic... :P
But in any case, here is another idea (though a bit much for one person) make a program to make a social networking map of your friends in [insert social network here], and also see if it comes close to The Small World Experiment where it took an average of 6 people for the package to get to their destination.

Alistair Wall

Postby Alistair Wall » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

Returning to the original question: http://acm.uva.es/problemset/

Benny the Bear

Postby Benny the Bear » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:50 am UTC

Program a robot that can read text to learn things (i.e. if it reads <noun> <to be> <adjective/verb>) and then forms sentences to describe the things it's learnt.

Bonus points if it posts it on the xkcd forums and no one notices the difference.

colonelxc

Postby colonelxc » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:41 am UTC

Program an innovative app for Android phones. The SDK is out there, and Google announced that there would be another contest starting late this year.

The last contest had 1700 entries, and 50 winners were chosen. The winners each received $10,000 (USD).

Might as well start working on an app now, so you can polish it in time for submission.

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:00 am UTC

Archena wrote:Of course 1 may be generalised to "implement [x] algorithm". There's an almost endless supply of interesting algorithms to play with.

Building off this, does anyone have a list of cool algorithms to try to implement? I'm going to be bored too :(

EDIT: Also, @Benny the Bear, I made a program a while ago that's kind of what you described. You input correct sentences, then it can generate sentences based on the words you used. BUT WAIT! You can also mark sentences it generates as correct or incorrect, which makes that sequence of words less likely to appear again. It's a little more complicated, but that's most of it.

The drawback is that you need to input a lot of example sentences before its sentences are markedly different than the examples.

Here's some output from it, using random example sentences that just popped into my head.
Spoiler:
Set the switch to solve a lie.
No man is an example sentence.
This is an island.
This is cool.
Bases are everywhere.
Enemies are sour.
Ice cream is cool.
Set the mind if watched for too long.
Computers can be stupid sentence.
People can rot the mind if watched for too long.

OK, some of those didn't make much sense. :)

I'll post the source if anyone wants it. It's in C++.then you can all see my horrible coding habits
The image link changes whenever I find a new cool website.
Spoiler:

Chip

Postby Chip » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:22 pm UTC

masher wrote:I have seen some other threads asking the same question.

There is a website that has some stuff on it, but I have no idea on how to find it... Maybe search around the fora?

I believe this is in reference to http://www.projecteuler.com a series of maths based problems solvable with computer algorithms.

I've done 4 of 197 so far - enjoy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chip

mountaingoat

Postby mountaingoat » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:18 pm UTC

The site is projecteuler.net. Just so you know. I've done 15 of them.

masher

Postby masher » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:02 am UTC

Chip wrote:
masher wrote:I have seen some other threads asking the same question.

I believe this is in reference to http://www.projecteuler.net (edited url) a series of maths based problems solvable with computer algorithms.

I've done 4 of 197 so far - enjoy

That would be the one!

mrkite

Postby mrkite » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:53 am UTC

sean22190 wrote:The site is projecteuler.net. Just so you know. I've done 15 of them.

Here's my profile on project euler. Ranked #259. I need to get back there, haven't solved a problem in months. (and yes, I was going in order)

Return to “Coding”