Monitoring a running Process' Memory space

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

zero10

Monitoring a running Process' Memory space

Postby zero10 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:32 pm UTC

Just wondering if you guys have any good tools to monitor the memory space of a running process? I remember back in the day there were all sorts of programs that used to let you cheat in games, you could just enter values to look for in a process' memory space and you could then manipulate them. Of course that was illegal and I'm not looking to do anything illegal with them, but I am looking for a program to do exactly that for the purposes of auditing a piece of software I have written and am looking for some good tools to use. I am already using windbg and some of the sysinternals tools but I find them pretty hard to find my way around. Do you guys have any good other suggestions?

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Re: Monitoring a running Process' Memory space

Postby Xeio » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:45 pm UTC

zero10 wrote:I remember back in the day there were all sorts of programs that used to let you cheat in games, you could just enter values to look for in a process' memory space and you could then manipulate them. Of course that was illegal and I'm not looking to do anything illegal with them, but I am looking for a program to do exactly that for the purposes of auditing a piece of software I have written and am looking for some good tools to use.

Its not 'illegal' to monitor and edit the memory space of a program running on your computer. Its probably not exactly nice to do something like that in an online game or such... but that will just get you a ban or some such, not arrested. :mrgreen:

Don't actually have any useful programs to do it though, sorry. :P

MrSparkle

Postby MrSparkle » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:39 pm UTC

I don't know of any tools, but you didn't really say what exactly you want to do so it's hard to point you at tools.

You mentioned old memory space "cheat" tools, and it is pretty easy to find those around on the web still. But it is also really easy to write those, using OpenProcess() and ReadProcessMemory() in windows.
"Intuition, like a flash of lightning, lasts only for a second. [...] Suddenly the light breaks through and one finds after a few minutes what previous days of labor were unable to reveal."
~Cryptonomicon

zero10

Postby zero10 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:44 pm UTC

I don't know for sure if its illegal to mess around with running programs, I know that for lots of them it is specifically written into the EULA that you won't do that, and I didn't want my thread getting closed or locked for legality reasons.

Its a piece of software that dumps binary files to an external device for flashing ECUs in cars. I need to see if its possible to beat the locking-feature it has by over-writing what it believes is the ECU's serial number before writing the binary file to the loader (i.e. it reads a serial from the loader, checks the serial against the file on the computer, if they match then it lets it write to the loader). There are various measures in place to prevent this, but I want to make sure they work as expected. I can't share the software for testing since you need to have the hardware as well.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:09 pm UTC

zero10 wrote:I don't know for sure if its illegal to mess around with running programs, I know that for lots of them it is specifically written into the EULA that you won't do that, and I didn't want my thread getting closed or locked for legality reasons.

Blizzard has had success recently with the following argument. (1) Running software requires copying it into RAM. (2) The EULA generally authorizes this copy. (3) Violating the EULA terminates this permission. (4) Using software in violation of the EULA is a violation of copyright.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if this were overturned if it gets appealed though, and I'm leaving it open because there are also substantial non-infringing uses.

zero10

Postby zero10 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:20 pm UTC

True, but there is also usually a section about reverse engineering and modifying the software that this would likely violate if used on commercial software.

That said, I seem to be failing in an epic fashion at locating any of these old game trainers that I thought I remembered so well, anybody care to point a few out for me?

Return to “Coding”