Starting C++/Programming

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Nublet

Starting C++/Programming

Postby Nublet » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:48 am UTC

Hi forumers. Before I get lampooned for not using the search function, I'd like to point out it doesn't accept "C++".

Anyone know a good online resource for learning C++ that assumes very little background in programming?

This background I speak of includes making various games and math formulae on a Casio CFX-9850. Also, years ago I messed around with C++ for about an hour making it do junk.

A nice open source compiler would be dandy, too.

Emu*

Re: Starting C++/Programming

Postby Emu* » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:56 am UTC

Step 1: learn C
Step 2: learn what's different about C++
Step 3: learn a good set of libraries so you're not messing about with CLI all the time...
Cosmologicon wrote:Emu* implemented a naive east-first strategy and ran it for an hour, producing results that rivaled many sophisticated strategies, visiting 614 cells. For this, Emu* is awarded Best Deterministic Algorithm!

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:49 pm UTC

A more helpful response:

http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html is a good online resource. You might fare better with an actual book such as "C++ A Beginner's Guide", but the website will suffice if you don't want to spend money.

The open source compiler I use is called CodeBlocks. A google search should yield it. Also, that website has a section on free compilers.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

qbg

Postby qbg » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:26 pm UTC

g++ (part of GCC) is GNU's C++ compiler.

CortoPasta

Postby CortoPasta » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:30 pm UTC

There is a pretty cool thread that is stickied to the top of this forum called "How to learn (n)" that has resources for a bunch of languages including C++

Heres the link:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13849

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:05 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:The open source compiler I use is called CodeBlocks.

To be annoying, Code::Blocks is an IDE, not a compiler. It uses MinGW, which is the windows port of GCC, by default. But it can be made to use other compilers such as Borland's, Microsoft's, Open Watcom, and Digital Mars's, and others. Not that you'd really want to use one other than Microsoft's or MinGW.

Since we're on the topic of IDEs, and your language question seems to have been answered, two other good IDEs are Dev-C++ (Better than Code::Blocks at some things, but worse at others), and Visual Studio Express (You can get the Pro version for free from Microsoft assuming you meet certain requirements). Visual Studio is actually one of the best development environments you can get (Let's not start an emacs is better war, I said one of, not THE best).

As an additional note, I don't know how well MinGW works with Vista, last I tried it can't open include files, even when you've manually added them to your path and such. But this may be a moot point since I have no idea what OS you are running. For the moment, I've assumed some flavor of Windows.

EDIT: Also mandatory plug for the D programming language. Best way to really describe it is C++ with better syntax. It can link with C(++) libraries, and has a tool to convert C(++) header files into D modules. Though if you want to use it, there really aren't any good IDEs. You've been warned.

ohboyotero

Postby ohboyotero » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:17 am UTC

Alright, first a few little online gems that I refer to quite a bit:

1. C++ FAQ Lite: http://web.tiscali.it/fanelia/cpp-faq-en/
2. C++ Reference (kinda like a really simplified Java API doc equivalent for common C/C++ stuff): http://cppreference.com
3. CPlusPlus.com (not a wonderful beginner guide, but really useful when you're intermediate->advanced): http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

I know you're just starting out, and there's a ton of stuff to absorb, but when you feel ready to take a step up in skill, there are two books you HAVE to read. They're really helpful. The first is Effective C++ by Scott Meyers:

http://www.amazon.com/Effective-Specifi ... 321334876/

The second is simply The C Programming Language by K&R (creators of C):

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Langu ... 131103628/

Even though C++ != C exactly, understanding how C works really well will help you understand how C++ is build on top of that, and what you can do to leverage it well.

e946

Postby e946 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:09 am UTC

If you have very little experience with programming, I wouldn't start out with C++

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:42 pm UTC

Many posts split from this one. I changed my mind and will leave this thread unlocked, but stay on topic.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:13 am UTC

e946 wrote:If you have very little experience with programming, I wouldn't start out with C++

I'm starting on C++. It doesn't seem so bad.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:14 pm UTC

I'm a big fan of Marshall Cline's FAQ. Very complete, very upfront about what you can and can't do vs what you should and shouldn't do. It's probably not a great starting place, but once you become even the least bit familiar with programming it's a great read.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Return to “Coding”