Md2 models

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Logan

Md2 models

Postby Logan » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:44 pm UTC

I want to use an md2 model in my program. I know it's old but i am thinking of it for two reasons
fisrt it is easy to learn and second the 3d modeling package can save in that format. is there anything more current than md2. that is used. Please let me know, with any luck my modeling package will have it

Logan

Mach1ne

Re: Md2 models

Postby Mach1ne » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:17 pm UTC

I may seem like an idiot for asking (no harm in asking right?) ... what exactly is an md2 model?

bratwurst

Postby bratwurst » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:39 pm UTC

Mach1ne wrote:I may seem like an idiot for asking (no harm in asking right?) ... what exactly is an md2 model?

It's a 3D model format for graphics or game programming or the like.

In response to the OP: I think there's up to MD5, now, but I've never seen any actual specification for it myself. The Wikipedia article for MD3 is pretty good, though.

simo

Postby simo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:04 pm UTC

Dont mess with md2. Not worth it. Its a nasty binary format that is severely limited. Specifically in terms of animation storage and polycount. You also wont find 1 decent exporter on the net at the moment. I tired using it for a while and none of the exporters I have seen work correctly.

Try the md5 format. I'm using it in my major project right now. Its text and not binary. Therefore is much simpler to understand due to its transparency.

All you need to get your head around is quaternions. But you can always just borrow a class and treat it as a black box.

http://tfc.duke.free.fr/coding/md5-specs-en.html

Thar ye go.. Comes with a simple model loader source code. ( Its C based)

-Simo

Logan

Postby Logan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:16 pm UTC

Problem is my 3d modeling package can not save in md5 format, any good free modeling packages that can make md5 model plus rigging and weight painting? What program do you use?

Logan

simo

Postby simo » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:27 pm UTC

Logan wrote:Problem is my 3d modeling package can not save in md5 format, any good free modeling packages that can make md5 model plus rigging and weight painting? What program do you use?

Logan

There are plenty of mel scripts for maya, and plugins for max.

There are even blender plugins. Its the format for doom 3 and quake 4 so its very popular with modders.

I use maya personally.

Logan

Postby Logan » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:32 am UTC

Thanks I did not know there were plugins for Blender ( what i use) I know maya is great but i think it costs about $ 2000.00
last time i checked

Logan

simo

Postby simo » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:58 am UTC

Logan wrote:I know maya is great

Mayas not that great. Remember its not the tool, its the artist!

However blender is rubbish. ;) Its like what would happen at a dev firm if the GUI designer went home for the weekend and the only guy with time to spare was the maths library writer. I'm sure in some artistically brilliant guys head it seemed totally logical and straight forward. But I've used 6 mainstream apps now and even written parts of some and blender makes me want to cry.

Fyi houdini has a totally free "apprentice" version, and loads of free tutorials and stuff. Its worth checking out.

-Si

colagor

Postby colagor » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:47 am UTC

yea Houdini's only $100 (full-featured), and at least as good as Maya i have heard. XSI is quite good to and popular with game studios, theres a free cut back one too. 3dsmax is worse than blender in my opinion, interface wise, but it does have mental-ray.

Return to “Coding”