Good way t learn PostGreSQL

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Mach1ne

Good way t learn PostGreSQL

Postby Mach1ne » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:30 pm UTC

What would you say is a good way to learn PostGreSQL? books? online tutorials? videos? someone teaching you? Thanks for the suggestions.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Re: Good way t learn PostGreSQL

Postby Xeio » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:18 pm UTC

I'm not sure about specific to PostGreSQL, but if you're totally new to SQL/Databases Database Management Systems Ramakrishnan/Gehrke was a pretty good book (one of the ones suggested for my introductory databases class). If you're already familiar with SQL, then I dunno, I doubt it's that much different from most other DBMS software.

Mach1ne

Postby Mach1ne » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:01 am UTC

Does it read like a text book (monotone and a bit dry) or no?

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:23 am UTC

Mach1ne wrote:Does it read like a text book (monotone and a bit dry) or no?
Well, it is a textbook. I'm not sure how you want it to read? Granted, I don't read textbooks word for word...

Incidentaly, I went through and tried to 'read' the first chapter, to see (I failed, I still skim over parts I don't want to read, like history, phhht). I still don't quite know what you mean by reading like a textbook, but if you actually have an interest in databases it's not really bad to read (though I haven't read a large portion of it, mostly just chapters pertaining to the class plus a bit here and there). I don't know if there are better books out there though, this is just the one I liked most out of the two suggested for the class. To be fair, there is likely a multitude of resources available online, but it's hard to compare strictly to the depth a textbook on the subject will cover.

I did find this amusing quote in the book though:
Has everyone noticed that all the letters of the word database are typed with the left
hand? Now the layout of the QWERTY typewriter keyboard was designed, among
other things, to facilitate the even use of both hands. It follows, therefore, that
writing about databases is not only unnatural, but a lot harder than it appears.
|Anonymous
I found it funny, that I'm using a Dvorak keyboard layout... database alternates letters on each hand... :mrgreen:

runa

Postby runa » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:05 am UTC

Mach1ne wrote:What would you say is a good way to learn PostGreSQL? books? online tutorials? videos? someone teaching you? Thanks for the suggestions.

Are you new to databases in general or just PostgreSQL?

Xeio wrote:I'm not sure about specific to PostGreSQL, but if you're totally new to SQL/Databases Database Management Systems Ramakrishnan/Gehrke was a pretty good book (one of the ones suggested for my introductory databases class).

I'm reading that book these days and I think it's a bit dry. It also has a few spelling mistakes here and there which annoy me.

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:59 pm UTC

I personally really like http://sqlzoo.net/ It won't make you a good database admin or introduce you to database concepts, but if you understand databases in general and want to get the feel for different syntax between SQL flavors, it's a good site.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:37 am UTC

If you've used any non-toy DBMS products (SQL Server, Oracle) Postgres will be mostly natural (save for its few quirks) if your best resourse is to just install the damn thing and use it on a project.

If you've used MySQL's non-toy functions (in other words you know what ALL of the following do: Primary keys, foreign keys, indexes, views, stored procedures and have worked with all of the above, the same applies.

If you come from a MySQL background where you haven't covered all the building blocks, get a book.

If you don't have any database background, get a general database book first.

Note that from an application developer's standpoint, I fucking hate Postgresql because the different connector libraries are not uniformly supported (the .net library is particularly heinous in terms of its incompleteness - it doesn't even support all the fucking datatypes).
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Sat May 02, 2009 9:29 pm UTC

Mach1ne wrote:What would you say is a good way to learn PostGreSQL? books? online tutorials? videos? someone teaching you? Thanks for the suggestions.
SQL: http://www.amazon.com/SQL-Queries-Mere- ... 958&sr=1-4
Great book, that goes right into using SQL; not vendor-specific. Always remember that any SQL implementation will suck, too. It's a crappy language that got good marketing, and then became entrenched.

DBMS-specific book for PostGresSQL: ??? I found the online docs to be quite good. Not something to use if you're brand new to DBs in general, though. If you're not new to SQL DBMSes in general, I guess learning to use the server itself will be the issue. Blindly, I'd get an O'Reilly book for it.

In general: having a problem to solve, or project to build, will be the best way to learn.

wing wrote:Note that from an application developer's standpoint, I fucking hate Postgresql because the different connector libraries are not uniformly supported (the .net library is particularly heinous in terms of its incompleteness - it doesn't even support all the fucking datatypes).
Interesting. Since I've only played w/ Postgres in the land of FOSS: (a) what's particularly bad, and (b) what causes the need for a Postgres-specific library?
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.

Return to “Coding”