How to market programming work/what do I call this?

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

CortoPasta

How to market programming work/what do I call this?

Postby CortoPasta » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:53 pm UTC

For the past few months I've been working at a financial firm that, among other things, creates a quarterly report for it's clients showing them how their portfolios are doing. These Reports are full of graphs/charts/tables/etc and are built in an Excel Spreadsheet. After being put in charge of creating this reports, I got tired of building these reports manually and ended up using macros and array formulas to do all the work.

So a long story short, I took a month and a half worth of number crunching and arranging of information on the spreadsheet, and made it a 5 hour process from start to finish.

I know this has to be worth something to somebody, and seeing as how I'm getting married by the end of the year, I could really use the side work :p Does anybody know how to market that skill, or what to even call it?

lemmings

Re: How to market programming work/what do I call this?

Postby lemmings » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:57 pm UTC

Go up to business execs and tell them that your software will allow them to fire 98% of their existing clerical workforce. That should peak a little attention... Or you could not tell anyone and work an hour a week for the rest of your life, or at least until they change their format.

Programmers have been making other jobs obsolete for decades now. You would market that skill just like nearly any other programmer in enterprise environments. Hire me; I will improve your slave's productivity!

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:04 pm UTC

You have created a Business Intelligence tool, specifically a Reporting Tool. If it can run automatically, it's called an Advanced Reporting Tool. Google "BI tool" and "ERP" for more related jargon.

FWIW, I'm currently involved in a marketing exercise for a Microsoft Gold partner, trying to find customers for such things. In the current economic client, it's not so easy, even with a name like Microsoft backing you. Of course, fully integrated BI systems don't come cheap.

Unfortunately, I can't say too much more on this topic; I don't think my employer would be too pleased with me encouraging "the competition". :)

CortoPasta

Postby CortoPasta » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:51 pm UTC

You have created a Business Intelligence tool, specifically a Reporting Tool. If it can run automatically, it's called an Advanced Reporting Tool. Google "BI tool" and "ERP" for more related jargon.

FWIW, I'm currently involved in a marketing exercise for a Microsoft Gold partner, trying to find customers for such things. In the current economic client, it's not so easy, even with a name like Microsoft backing you. Of course, fully integrated BI systems don't come cheap.

Unfortunately, I can't say too much more on this topic; I don't think my employer would be too pleased with me encouraging "the competition".

Thanks for the response! I seriously doubt I will be tapping into your revenue stream seeing as how I've only been doing this a couple months, but I do appreciate you pointing me in the right direction with the proper industry terms. Hopefully I'll be able to capitalize on this

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:47 pm UTC

I seriously doubt I will be tapping into your revenue stream seeing as how I've only been doing this a couple months
Understood. Besides, we're probably in different countries. :) But still, I don't think my boss would like me saying too much on a public forum.

Good luck!

Return to “Coding”