What's a good first programming language, without install?

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

davetp425

What's a good first programming language, without install?

Postby davetp425 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:07 pm UTC

My girlfriend is curious about what programming is like, since I've talking about this fun Scheme class I'm in. I was going to teach her some Scheme or learn Python with her but she doesn't want to install anything since her laptop is so terrible. Does anyone have any ideas for a good first programming language that doesn't require an install? Javascript maybe?

Carnildo

Re: What's a good first programming language, without install?

Postby Carnildo » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:21 pm UTC

If you don't want to install anything, your options are pretty limited. Assuming this is a fairly standard Windows system, you've got Javascript, batch scripting, and maybe VBScript. I can't recommend any of these as a first programming language.

Vault

Postby Vault » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:24 pm UTC

The problem with javascript is that it pretty much requires that you learn the HTML that goes along with it. I'd recommend the Python. Installing it should be painless, even on a terrible laptop.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:24 pm UTC

Internet to the rescue!

http://codepad.org/NcDZl42W
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:27 pm UTC

i'd recommend factor. simple syntax (simpler than lisp) and no install required, just download, unzip, and run.

Code: Select all

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:34 pm UTC

hotaru wrote:i'd recommend factor. simple syntax (simpler than lisp) and no install required, just download, unzip, and run.

How is that not an install? Heck, that's basically how the slackware package system works*.

* Not quite, but not far from the truth.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

qbg

Postby qbg » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:54 pm UTC

Learn to directly control the butterflies so she can flip the needed bits to write a machine code program.

(more seriously, just install something)

davetp425

Postby davetp425 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:22 pm UTC

Berengal wrote:Internet to the rescue!

Perfect! This looks like a great demo. I can use this to convince her to get IDLE.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:27 pm UTC

There's also a live demo of Lua, which is similar to nothing like Python but I think it's cooler:

http://www.lua.org/cgi-bin/demo
Last edited by lulzfish on Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:56 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

thoughtfully

Postby thoughtfully » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:50 pm UTC

http://www.portablepython.com/

Lua is a spare language designed to be embedded in other programs. It takes a creative interpretation to consider them similar. They're both have dynamic typing and are freely available, but that could apply to javascript, Perl, or others, as well.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Vault

Postby Vault » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:53 am UTC

Just thought of this. If you aren't dead set on Python you can feel free to Try Ruby. (its current incarnation doesn't completely work, but should be enough to get started)

Earlz
Gets Obvious Implications

Postby Earlz » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:45 am UTC

I would recommend ruby along with Why's Poignant Guide(you'll have to search hard for a archive of it though)

or maybe C/++ if you feel like being "rough" lol
also you could buy her a TI-83+ and teach her TI-Basic.. a little annoying to use though lol.
My new blag(WIP, so yes it's still ugly..)
DEFIANCE!
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD

Vault

Postby Vault » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:49 am UTC

The Poignant Guide is up and running here.

davetp425

Postby davetp425 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:54 pm UTC

Earlz wrote:I would recommend ruby along with Why's Poignant Guide(you'll have to search hard for a archive of it though)

or maybe C/++ if you feel like being "rough" ¡This cheese is burning me!
also you could buy her a TI-83+ and teach her TI-Basic.. a little annoying to use though ¡This cheese is burning me!.

Oh, I completely forgot about that; she has a TI-84. I'm not going to try C/++ though; I really don't know it myself and would probably do more harm than good.

CortoPasta

Postby CortoPasta » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:22 pm UTC

If she has Excel, just program in VBA using their macro editor

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:37 pm UTC

CortoPasta wrote:If she has Excel, just program in VBA using their macro editor

Please don't, it's a terrible language.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

scarecrovv
It's pronounced 'double u'

Postby scarecrovv » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:34 pm UTC

davetp425 wrote:
Earlz wrote:I would recommend ruby along with Why's Poignant Guide(you'll have to search hard for a archive of it though)

or maybe C/++ if you feel like being "rough" ¡This cheese is burning me!
also you could buy her a TI-83+ and teach her TI-Basic.. a little annoying to use though ¡This cheese is burning me!.

Oh, I completely forgot about that; she has a TI-84. I'm not going to try C/++ though; I really don't know it myself and would probably do more harm than good.

I would absolutely not teach her TI-Basic as a first language. She will hate it, and will generalize this hatred to all languages. Practically anything else would be a better choice.

Cosmologicon

Postby Cosmologicon » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:59 pm UTC

CortoPasta wrote:If she has Excel, just program in VBA using their macro editor

While VBA in Excel is a pretty poor general-purpose programming language, there's something to be said for learning problem solving with a spreadsheet. That would introduce a few programming concepts, though not the ones you usually learn first in CS 101.

bocochoco

Postby bocochoco » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:24 pm UTC

Php wouldn't be a bad idea, though she would probably have to learn HTML along with it. There are a lot of hosting companies who offer a free limited plan with php. All you need is a text editor and ftp software.

Earlz

Postby Earlz » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:48 am UTC

yea.. TI-Basic isn't the prettiest language though I wouldn't call it a horrible way of getting into programming.. it's structure is really pretty straight forward and there is always time to kill in math classes..

I still recommend Ruby.. very simple to install and use.. even "a bad laptop" can run it and it's amazing interactive shell.. .plus you learn functional programming and OOP stuff(and bits of procedural?)
DEFIANCE!
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD

Unparallelogram

Postby Unparallelogram » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:57 am UTC

BASIC would teach the wrong ideas about abstraction and program design. The exact extent of GOTO's evilness depends on who you ask, but I don't expect much support for teaching it as a primary form of control flow.

VBA feels too much like a failed attempt at making programming look like English, in my opinion, and even then it does a bad job.

While I understand your desire to remove the need for initial time investment, consider that learning programming will take much longer than setting up a language, and you might as well go to the length of getting a good one. Setting up either Python or Ruby, for example, will take you likely a total of five minutes, and the space required is minimal.

Cleverbeans

Postby Cleverbeans » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:21 pm UTC

davetp425 wrote:I was going to teach her some Scheme or learn Python with her but she doesn't want to install anything since her laptop is so terrible.

You can run python from a USB key, no install required. I have no tried and true methods for dealing with an irrational fear of installing passive software.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." - Abraham Lincoln

LakatosIstvan

Postby LakatosIstvan » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:58 pm UTC

A good programming language? With no installing?

My friend, I present to you... Processing!!! (trumpets)

Processing is a really nice programming language based on Java, which you only have to download and just run it ( considering that her laptop has Java installed on it, which I suppose it has ).
Processing is a really nice medium to introduce someone to programming, it's only a little Javaish, but one can quickly cope with it. What's really nice about it is that it's more visual oriented, one doesn't only get to input to the console at the beginning, you get to do all sorts of nice stuff to your screen. Instant visual feedback.

The only bummer is learning how to program in it. There isn't very much tutorials on it on the Internet, the most comprehensive sources are in books, but if you're good at scavenging you might find enough stuff on the Internet to get things going and then you can get crazy creative.
Sir_Elderberry wrote:Cords are not just bendy cylinders. They are flexible, animate beings possessed by spirits whose intentions are beyond our ken. They are Cthulu's tentacles intruding on our reality.

greysquare

Postby greysquare » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:45 pm UTC

How about using a linux liveCD? If her laptop is crappy because it's running windows, then it'll solve that problem without ever touching the hard drive. Most liveCDs will at least have python and a text editor installed, which is all you really want.

If you're really lucky, she might even prefer linux!

Good luck!

Emu*

Postby Emu* » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:38 pm UTC

My girlfriend prefers my Ubuntu desktop and laptop over her larger Vista laptop, but that's been waaay unreliable.
Cosmologicon wrote:Emu* implemented a naive east-first strategy and ran it for an hour, producing results that rivaled many sophisticated strategies, visiting 614 cells. For this, Emu* is awarded Best Deterministic Algorithm!

Area Man

Postby Area Man » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:20 pm UTC

I've suggested this before around here:
SQL. It's "high-level", immediately (as well as long term) useful, applicable outside of just computer programming, and useful in combination with any other programming language. Add to it javascript and HTML for interfacing and you're cooking.
All you need is a Firefox addon.
Bisquick boxes are a dead medium.

minno

Postby minno » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:17 pm UTC

I would absolutely not teach her TI-Basic as a first language. She will hate it, and will generalize this hatred to all languages. Practically anything else would be a better choice.

Hey, TI-BASIC was my first language! I'll admit that I did go a little crazy with the GOTOs at first, but I don't use them at all anymore.

For first languages, I suggest Python (my 2nd), even though it does take an install. The minuscule amount of computer resources is definitely worth the ease and usefulness of Python.

I'm currently learning Java. It's really not that bad, but it would SUCK as a first language. It brutally forces object oriented programming on you, which can get a little confusing to start. I suggest Python because it provides the option to use OOP, without forcing it.
If you fight fire with fire, you'll get twice as burned.

Earlz

Postby Earlz » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:54 am UTC

minno wrote:

Hey, TI-BASIC was my first language! I'll admit that I did go a little crazy with the GOTOs at first, but I don't use them at all anymore.

For first languages, I suggest Python (my 2nd), even though it does take an install. The minuscule amount of computer resources is definitely worth the ease and usefulness of Python.

I'm currently learning Java. It's really not that bad, but it would SUCK as a first language. It brutally forces object oriented programming on you, which can get a little confusing to start. I suggest Python because it provides the option to use OOP, without forcing it.

How do you use TI-BASIC efficiently(as in, without tons of external programs) without GOTOs? was there some call or gotosub funciton that I missed?

Python? well.. idk about a learning language.. but I don't much like it lol

Yes, Java is Core.Hell.Satan.Language... and to think it's the language chosen by the AP test(which is suppose to be first time programmers).. it's really hard to grasp certain things in it for a beginner..

Why exactly is OOP such a needed thing for success anyway to be mandated by the AP test? I think if you don't know OOP when you start programming, you soon will on your own anyway cause it's really pretty simple concepts once you know how to program
DEFIANCE!

minno

Postby minno » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:19 pm UTC

Earlz wrote:How do you use TI-BASIC efficiently(as in, without tons of external programs) without GOTOs? was there some call or gotosub funciton that I missed?

Well, I mostly make math programs without complicated structures now, and when I need some kind of structure I just use while/for/repeat loops.

One of the first programs I made was a very basic space shooter game. It involved about 5-10 different programs (one base, one init, one for shooting, one for generating each asteroid, one for getting hit...), and I used a lot of GOTOs in it. Once I got better at programming (there was a really great wiki I used that may not exist anymore), I went through some of the subprograms and edited out all of the GOTOs and replaced them with other command structures.

There's an extra reason that GOTOs are evil in TI-BASIC. If you use a GOTO to break any loop that ends in an "end" statement (if...then, if...then...else, while, for, repeat), it doesn't release the memory, so it causes a memory leak.

The only time I still use GOTOs in TI-BASIC is with a very specific built-in construct called a "menu," which goes to a certain label for each option you can choose.

This is getting a little off-topic, so if you want to reply to this use the messaging function. I don't want to hijack this guy's thread.
If you fight fire with fire, you'll get twice as burned.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:56 pm UTC

Berengal wrote:Internet to the rescue!

...how can this be safe for them? O.o
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:51 pm UTC

http://codepad.org/about wrote:Code execution is handled by a supervisor based on geordi. The strategy is to run everything under ptrace, with many system calls disallowed or ignored. Compilers and final executables are both executed in a chroot jail, with strict resource limits. The supervisor is written in Haskell.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

ash.gti

Postby ash.gti » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:55 pm UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:...how can this be safe for them? O.o

suexec + chroot + a small timeout

Go put an endless loop in there, they kill things after like 3-4 seconds it seems. And if you sandbox things with a chroot jail you should be okay.

Some other higher level process management is involved for sure, but its not impossible to protect yourself and let people do things like that.
# drinks WAY to much espresso

dean.menezes

Postby dean.menezes » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:44 am UTC

There is a Scheme interpreter written in Javascript over here:
https://csel.cs.colorado.edu/~silkense/js-scheme/

Return to “Coding”