New initiate into the grand order

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

P4r4digm

New initiate into the grand order

Postby P4r4digm » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:30 pm UTC

Alright so I've been programming for a while now, some college coursework, most self-taught. I play a mean C/C++ and i got plenty of hardware and OS work under my belt...love computers, always wanting to get better at development and computer know-how, but it's always been windows (since Win95 woo).

Anyways my employer wanted to put me on this C/UNIX project so I was excited because I had to learn UNIX...picked up a copy of "A Practical Guide to UNIX Systems" from my coworker and plowed through the pages with rapidly-increasing interest...I had tried to install ubuntu on an old laptop a while back but it never really got anywhere.

I spent alot of time looking at what distros I should use and settled on slackware...self-acclaimed to be the most UNIX-Like Linux distro and it looks like I would get the most learnign about UNIX systems done working on slackware...resurrected my old self-built rig collecting dust in a corner of my room, wiped the HD clean, and about 4 hours later was completely up and running with KDE :D

So yes, I'm now officially a Linux user, greasy hair and decreased social skills soon to follow I'm sure.
I'm also now Registered Linus User #498453

Also found out the C/UNIX project isn't gonna happen at work...but it's too late, I'm freaking hooked, tonight I'm gonna see what IDE's are available on the platform and maybe try a few out...looking at developing in C/C++, PHP, Python, and SQL any suggestions for IDE's?

Also, in order to connect to the internet, whenevr i boot up I have to configure the DHCP with dhcpcd eth0...amidoinrite? is there a way to set it up so i dont have to run that every time i login?

Anyways, cheers, lookin forward to becoming like the last panel of above

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Re: New initiate into the grand order

Postby Yakk » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:16 pm UTC

gvim, bash, grep, find and gcc makes a good IDE. :)

Others say emacs.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

psykx

Postby psykx » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:04 pm UTC

vi, kate and komodo edit are worth checking out, welcome to the fold
Berengal wrote:Only if they're killer robots. Legos are happy robots. Besides, even if they were killer robots it wouldn't stop me. You can't stop science and all that.

Emu*

Postby Emu* » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:51 am UTC

Kdevelop?
Cosmologicon wrote:Emu* implemented a naive east-first strategy and ran it for an hour, producing results that rivaled many sophisticated strategies, visiting 614 cells. For this, Emu* is awarded Best Deterministic Algorithm!

Magilla

Postby Magilla » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:24 am UTC

Welcome!

You could try Eclipse *hides*

Also, if you get emacs, you'll have to get a text editor to run in it. Try "vim" for that... :twisted:
They perceive my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and have thus concluded that I am of Caucasian decent, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred

bocochoco

Postby bocochoco » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:18 pm UTC

Welcome to the Light side!

I second eclipse, though I hate to say so. Supports all of the languages you mentioned and then some with some pretty useful tools as well.

OOPMan

Postby OOPMan » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:28 am UTC

NetBeans, it's like Eclipse except it's not crap.

P4r4digm

Postby P4r4digm » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:07 pm UTC

I've used eclipse and for the most part i think the interface is slow and unintuitive...ive heard of kdevelop and will check that out...netbeans reeks of java

unfortunately, i havent had much grindtime on the new system...Im finding that there arent enough hours in the day to to work fulltime AND be a social cool guy AND be a introverted nerdhermit (assuming i need to sleep)

Also ive quit my job and this halloween im going as a destitute entry-level programmer trying to make it in the big city with a seasonal techsupport job....Ill try and set up ssh before i leave so I can play with linux from the cold bum-infested winter streets.

spudtheimpaler

Postby spudtheimpaler » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:03 pm UTC

For developing my own stuff at home, netbeans all the way. At work I spend my life bug fixing and debugging, so it has to be eclipse.

Netbeans has a far better editor in my opinion and I like its focus on trying to get you to build stuff in a way that makes you think about a one step build process.

You'll need to learn eclipse one day, more than likely. Today isn't necessarily that day.

N.B. I know both editors do non-Java, but I've never used them for that :)
Fueled by tea and bad maths since 1983...

LikwidCirkel

Postby LikwidCirkel » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:18 pm UTC

I find it moderately ironic that you chose Slackware, yet are looking for a coding "IDE". Slackware is the kind of distro that lets you appreciate the guts and how light and non-bloated a system can be, and it leaves much of the configuration to the user. Provided that you have a clue what's going on, it can be very productive and easy to use. Contrast this to something like Ubuntu, which is more useful up-front for people who don't have a clue how things work.

Just as some systems provide gui configuration tools that usually just modify config files that you could do yourself, an IDE just provides an interface for writing and building code that hides the back-end details. Most major IDE's for Linux will use make, gcc, gdb and others to actually do the compilation and tracking work anyway.

Really, just learn about make and gcc and some simple (or advanced as in vim/emacs) editor, and even (god forbid) gdb and you're all set. I believe that most people who actually take the time to learn these things well are just as productive without a big IDE. In my case, I prefer the basic toolchain because it simplifies things and leaves less room for error. If I write my own makefile and understand what to link into a project, I can change things and troubleshoot when it goes wrong. Contrast this to IDE-controlled configurations and auto-generated Makefiles, where if something doesn't compile or link properly, finding the problem is not always an easy undertaking.

Really - I just think that Slackware + basic gnu tools is a congruent approach for really learning about UNIX and Linux - and if you just want to "write code" without learning as much about the process, something like Ubuntu + IDE of choice is also congruent.

In any case, even if you prefer a fancy IDE (and there are reasons for this), if you understand how Makefiles and the compiling and linking process works, you'll have more knowledge to use the IDE to it's full potential and troubleshoot where necessary. The best way to learn these tools is to USE them directly.

InkL0sed

Postby InkL0sed » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:26 pm UTC

P4r4digm wrote:I've used eclipse and for the most part i think the interface is slow and unintuitive...ive heard of kdevelop and will check that out...netbeans reeks of java

unfortunately, i havent had much grindtime on the new system...Im finding that there arent enough hours in the day to to work fulltime AND be a social cool guy AND be a introverted nerdhermit (assuming i need to sleep)

Also ive quit my job and this halloween im going as a destitute entry-level programmer trying to make it in the big city with a seasonal techsupport job....Ill try and set up ssh before i leave so I can play with linux from the cold bum-infested winter streets.

Isn't eclipse also written in Java...?

P4r4digm

Postby P4r4digm » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:03 pm UTC

LikwidCirkel wrote:I find it moderately ironic that you chose Slackware, yet are looking for a coding "IDE".

Well aware of the irony, thank you, I was just interested in what sort of opensource programs people have made for the linux platform that can compete with things like visual studio...the mention of an IDE was more of just an aside in my first post although it seems to have ruled this topic...

I originally did all of my programming exclusively on GNU with makefiles...as far as slack goes I'm loving the amount of learning thats needed to get stuff going...almost everything I want to accomplish requires me to go out and research and learn how things workm, which is exactly what I wanted when i decided to jump into Linux...Ive developed in vim/gcc over an ssh before so I know my way around the basic tools for development :)

And is eclipse written in java? meh, fuck if I know, only used it for this shitty webapp I got stuck on at work, was miserable and I couldnt get the damn thing to work (not knowing jsp didnt help either)

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:37 pm UTC

P4r4digm wrote:Also, in order to connect to the internet, whenevr i boot up I have to configure the DHCP with dhcpcd eth0...amidoinrite? is there a way to set it up so i dont have to run that every time i login?

/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf

Poke around in there a bit. You should only need to edit

Code: Select all

USE_DHCP[0]=""

to

Code: Select all

USE_DHCP[0]="yes"
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

P4r4digm

Postby P4r4digm » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:51 pm UTC

ah, thanks, ill try that tonight...now when my internet disconnects (because of my shitty ISP) I have to kill the dhcpcd process and rerun it, is that gonna fix that as well or what should I do for that

Agent_Irons

Postby Agent_Irons » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:20 pm UTC

P4r4digm wrote:ah, thanks, ill try that tonight...now when my internet disconnects (because of my shitty ISP) I have to kill the dhcpcd process and rerun it, is that gonna fix that as well or what should I do for that

You could write a little something something that pings google every minute or so and if that fails relaunches dhcpcd? That can't be a good idea and there is certainly a better way, but that's a last resort.

OOPMan

Postby OOPMan » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:07 am UTC

P4r4digm wrote:
LikwidCirkel wrote:I find it moderately ironic that you chose Slackware, yet are looking for a coding "IDE".

Well aware of the irony, thank you, I was just interested in what sort of opensource programs people have made for the linux platform that can compete with things like visual studio...the mention of an IDE was more of just an aside in my first post although it seems to have ruled this topic...

I originally did all of my programming exclusively on GNU with makefiles...as far as slack goes I'm loving the amount of learning thats needed to get stuff going...almost everything I want to accomplish requires me to go out and research and learn how things workm, which is exactly what I wanted when i decided to jump into Linux...Ive developed in vim/gcc over an ssh before so I know my way around the basic tools for development :)

And is eclipse written in java? meh, fuck if I know, only used it for this shitty webapp I got stuck on at work, was miserable and I couldnt get the damn thing to work (not knowing jsp didnt help either)

I feel your pain. First job I had I was stuck on a shitty java web-app. Happily, though, NetBeans is a lot simpler to work with when it comes to web apps. I was never able to get said java web app even working in Eclipse :-/

Earlz
Gets Obvious Implications

Postby Earlz » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:08 pm UTC

My recommendation for an IDE..

Well, I haven't used a true IDE since I moved off windows to OpenBSD(by true ide I mean one that compiles and everything for you) but what I used on windows was Code::Blocks, and it's cross-platform(sorta) so you could try that..

My favorite text editors are probably:
* Kate -- A nice sorta lightweight text editor with syntax highlighting that lets you have a terminal in its window and lets you deal with multiple files with ease.
* SciTE -- A decent editor, I like kate better, but this works better for Ruby coding because Kate has broken syntax highlighting for ruby
* vi -- If I'm stuck with an ssh terminal or can't get X to work, I'd definitely rather use a simple text editor than an OS built around a text editor(emacs)
My new blag(WIP, so yes it's still ugly..)
DEFIANCE!
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD

dean.menezes

Postby dean.menezes » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:55 pm UTC

Magilla wrote:Welcome!
Also, if you get emacs, you'll have to get a text editor to run in it. Try "vim" for that... :twisted:

Do people actually run vi in an emacs term buffer?

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:32 am UTC

Magilla wrote:Welcome!

You could try Eclipse *hides*

No need to hide. Eclipse is cool if you have the processing power to run spiffy GUIs. It's fully extensible Java, of course it will be a bit bloated. Since I switched to a new computer, I've started using it again instead of vim.

(Now, the emacs jab on the other hand, that was dangerous. :P )
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Return to “Coding”