Careers.StackOverflow.com. Anyone else have one?

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Earlz
Gets Obvious Implications

Careers.StackOverflow.com. Anyone else have one?

Postby Earlz » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:11 am UTC

Hi, Does anyone else here have a CV thing? It's still in beta, but it took some hunting to actually find the thing. So if your interested in basically an auto-generated resume, then check out http://careers,stackoverflow.com

Mine is at http://careers.stackoverflow.com/earlz

I know it needs fixing, but just thought I would try to get something out there.. lol
My new blag(WIP, so yes it's still ugly..)
DEFIANCE!
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD

spelunker

Re: Careers.StackOverflow.com. Anyone else have one?

Postby spelunker » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:42 am UTC

I have resumes posted on Dice and Monster, the usual ones.

It looks like careers.stackoverflow.com is pretty new, but I guess more exposure is always better than less exposure!

Having a "dislikes" category is an interesting idea, btw. Can't decide if it's good or bad.

spudtheimpaler

Postby spudtheimpaler » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:02 am UTC

Yeah I'm about to start looking again in the UK so I thought, for $29, might as well. I guess they're relying on a few people like me who are willing to part with a little bit of mullah to perhaps maybe sorta look towards using it in the future. I'm all for auto-generated CV's a-la linkedin. My experience should get me to interview, interview should get me to desk. None of what I do for a living should be at all regarded by how well I can format tables in MS Word.

Shame I'd rather rather spend my time here than on Stack Overflow, makes it pretty redundant...
Fueled by tea and bad maths since 1983...

0xBADFEED

Postby 0xBADFEED » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:18 pm UTC

spudtheimpaler wrote:None of what I do for a living should be at all regarded by how well I can format tables in MS Word.

You should set your resume in Tex.

It's a lot easier to get it to look how you want, and it will probably get you bonus points at the geekier places.

Earlz

Postby Earlz » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:30 pm UTC

Yea, what is this $29 filling fee? I don't understand what "filling" means for that. I mean you get a public URL.. for $29 do they make it searchable or something?
DEFIANCE!
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:46 pm UTC

It becomes searchable and gets sent to recruiters afaik.
I'm not lazy, I'm just getting in early for Christmas is all...

spudtheimpaler

Postby spudtheimpaler » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:17 pm UTC

Earlz wrote:Yea, what is this $29 filling fee? I don't understand what "filling" means for that. I mean you get a public URL.. for $29 do they make it searchable or something?

For free, you get a personalised link to your CV. For $'s, it becomes accessible to the recruiter's front end search. Basically you're paying to be in the search results.
Fueled by tea and bad maths since 1983...

OOPMan

Postby OOPMan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:12 pm UTC

I put mine up a few days ago, while they were still running the 3-year special. I figured it would be a nice bit of future proofing, even though I'm not in the market right now.

blue halax

Postby blue halax » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:56 pm UTC

What's the advantage of stack overflow vs. dice/monster vs. putting a resume up on your website?

I get one or two contacts through dice or monster every few weeks, but for three years, literally all but one has been a keyword trolling recruiter who has a job that's completely unrelated to my resume. I only get one contact every few months for the resume up on my website, but almost all of those contacts have been for relevant jobs.

Earlz

Postby Earlz » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:20 pm UTC

blue halax wrote:What's the advantage of stack overflow vs. dice/monster vs. putting a resume up on your website?

I get one or two contacts through dice or monster every few weeks, but for three years, literally all but one has been a keyword trolling recruiter who has a job that's completely unrelated to my resume. I only get one contact every few months for the resume up on my website, but almost all of those contacts have been for relevant jobs.

Your resume being on stack overflow means recruiters are going to go there only to find programmers(or possibly other IT positions) so its much more probable for a person to contact you involving a programming job and not some other non-related thing...

Plus, what's cooler than having a live count of your reputation on your resume!? (yes I know you can do this without the careers thing but still lol)
DEFIANCE!

blue halax

Postby blue halax » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:35 pm UTC

Earlz wrote:Your resume being on stack overflow means recruiters are going to go there only to find programmers(or possibly other IT positions) so its much more probable for a person to contact you involving a programming job and not some other non-related thing...

That's what happens on monster, too. Recruiters trolling for random Java positions see that I've mentioned Java on my resume, and send me programming jobs that are completely unrelated to my experience. Ditto for any popular keyword, like Ruby, perl, etc. How will stack overflow be different?

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:18 pm UTC

blue halax wrote:
Earlz wrote:Your resume being on stack overflow means recruiters are going to go there only to find programmers(or possibly other IT positions) so its much more probable for a person to contact you involving a programming job and not some other non-related thing...

That's what happens on monster, too. Recruiters trolling for random Java positions see that I've mentioned Java on my resume, and send me programming jobs that are completely unrelated to my experience. Ditto for any popular keyword, like Ruby, perl, etc. How will stack overflow be different?

So don't put Java on your resume.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

blue halax

Postby blue halax » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:16 am UTC

Berengal wrote:
blue halax wrote:

So don't put Java on your resume.

What if I want a job that involves Java? Even if I don't, if do that, I should also remove Lisp, Erlang, perl, Ruby, Verilog, VHDL, assembly, any reference to x86, testing, verification, development, design, architecture, VLSI, circuits, logic, RTL, and pretty much anything that any spam-happy recruiter uses as a keyword, i.e, any words relating to any technology whatsoever.

Return to “Coding”