Python Web Framework

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Stucky101
Location: Park City, Utah, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, The Milky Way, Universe A

Python Web Framework

Postby Stucky101 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:09 am UTC

I need to learn a Python web framework before the end of the weekend but I don't know which one to research. Could somebody suggest one with an easy learning curve? I really need to learn it fast. Thanks.
"The earth is the cradle of humankind, but one cannot live in the cradle forever."
~Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, 1895

lulzfish

Re: Python Web Framework

Postby lulzfish » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:26 am UTC

Define framework?

You can always use Apache with mod_python and PSP (It's just like PHP, but Python), but it might take a while to get all that set up.

Stucky101
Location: Park City, Utah, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, The Milky Way, Universe A

Postby Stucky101 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:29 am UTC

Something like the stuff you see here.
http://wiki.python.org/moin/WebFrameworks

I know that page suggests Grok as a good newbie framework but I'm looking for other opinions on the subject.
"The earth is the cradle of humankind, but one cannot live in the cradle forever."

~Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, 1895

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:54 am UTC

I learned a bit of cherrypy and thought it was fairly simple. I don't know about it being a full web framework though (as that page lists turbogears as one, which uses cherrypy internally.

I am not sure if something like turbogears incorporates a templating engine, (I was using cherrypy with cheetah) which are very powerful when dealing with web pages (i.e. it's easy to set up a page template containing menus and other common content, and have a python script which generates and inserts other page content). So you really don't need to write any actual html files.

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Postby OmenPigeon » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:48 pm UTC

Web.py (http://webpy.org/) is pretty much the simplest solution I've seen for doing web stuff in Python. I don't think it's being actively worked on anymore, but it's dead simple to get started with.
As long as I am alive and well I will continue to feel strongly about prose style, to love the surface of the earth, and to take pleasure in scraps of useless information.
~ George Orwell

Return to “Coding”