Getting started with an SQL application

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Rippy

Getting started with an SQL application

Postby Rippy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:41 pm UTC

Over the summer I want to write an application that's largely going to consist of maintaining a database. My programming experience is in C/C++, but I thought if I'm mostly dealing with tables I might as well learn some SQL. Most of the resources I've found though are from a server database perspective, but SQL is used for things other than client-server applications, right? I seem to remember that Exaile used to use, or considered using, MySQL.

I know the various commands you can use with SQL, but I'm having a harder time figuring out how to go about implementing it. Does someone need MySQL installed to run my application? Am I doing these queries with my programming language of choice? It'd be sweet if I could learn some Haskell at the same time.

Some clarifications would be much appreciated, since I quite clearly have little idea what I'm talking about :P. Thanks!

- RIppy

joeframbach

Re: Getting started with an SQL application

Postby joeframbach » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:45 pm UTC

If you want a real-world example of a database used in a desktop application, Rosetta Stone stores all user data in a dBase file, I think.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:36 am UTC

Check out SQLite- it's a self-contained SQL-based DB that doesn't need a client-server architecture and can even be embedded in other programs to provide an integrated database. There are bindings available in many languages, and it's also a good resource to have around for experimenting with SQL itself since it's extremely straightforward to set up.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:15 pm UTC

SQLite looks like just what I'm after, thanks. And there's an SQL interface for Haskell called HSQL, so I can learn two things at once :).

Return to “Coding”