Why God is so l33t

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

bobfish

Re: Why God is so l33t

Postby bobfish » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:51 pm UTC

ZeroSkulleton wrote:He created a programming language using only the characters A, C, G and T.

And then used it to make self replicating polymorphic artificial intelligences.

styrofoam

Postby styrofoam » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:47 pm UTC

bobfish wrote:And then used it to make self replicating polymorphic artificial intelligences.

So you define 'artificial' as a meaningless word?
aadams wrote:I am a very nice whatever it is I am.

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:39 am UTC

That's pretty much what this thread is about - blurring the distinction between the natural and the artificial.
ImageImage
http://internetometer.com/give/4279
No one can agree how to count how many types of people there are. You could ask two people and get 10 different answers.

styrofoam

Postby styrofoam » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:29 am UTC

TheChewanater wrote:That's pretty much what this thread is about - blurring the distinction between the natural and the artificial.

Makes sense.

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:30 am UTC

styrofoam wrote:
TheChewanater wrote:That's pretty much what this thread is about - blurring the distinction between the natural and the artificial.

Makes sense.

This thread is also about not making sense.
ImageImage
http://internetometer.com/give/4279
No one can agree how to count how many types of people there are. You could ask two people and get 10 different answers.

Shotglass

Postby Shotglass » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:14 am UTC

hm can someone knowlegeable in biology and genertics please find a proof that there are gotos coded into our genes so we can put this silly "god is the greatest programmer" nonsense to rest?

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:38 am UTC

Shotglass wrote:hm can someone knowlegeable in biology and genertics please find a proof that there are gotos coded into our genes so we can put this silly "god is the greatest programmer" nonsense to rest?

That might take a while. Most of our genetic knowledge is about the regions of DNA that get transcribed into proteins; we are only just beginning to learn what the non-coding regions (aka "junk" DNA) do. There are suspicions that some of the non-coding DNA contains "executable code", but we're a long way from any proof. All we can say at this stage is that some non-coding DNA is involved in determining which coding regions get decoded, and in what sequence.

So it's better to think of DNA as a data file, not an executable. Any software it contains is probably "archived" into the protein data & not immediately accessable at the ATCG level.

squareroot

Postby squareroot » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:38 am UTC

^ It would be like trying to read the raw opcodes stored inside gzip file.
<signature content="" style="tag:html;" overused meta />
Good fucking job Will Yu, you found me - __ -

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:39 am UTC

PM 2Ring wrote: All we can say at this stage is that some non-coding DNA is involved in determining which coding regions get decoded, and in what sequence.

pointers!
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

YoungStudent

Postby YoungStudent » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:46 pm UTC

That how biology works, can be very well similarised with programming languages...
Okay, quote me - We try to explain magic, presence of spirits and supernatural with science, which only explains 'the physical world' that we observe. It's like blind earthworm declaring that there is no light.

tuseroni

Postby tuseroni » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:11 am UTC

hmm, not quite sure on goto's, there are genes which use proteins encoded from places all over the genome, but that mores like fragmentation in a HDD, since the dna is still read sequentially, there is no random access.

however, god did a terrible job of documenting his program, and the man file he wrote for people in the middle east, not even a mention of DNA.
plus he could have avoided cancer if he just used a better process control method (no cell should be able to ignore the SIGKILL)
he is clearly a lazy programmer

styrofoam

Postby styrofoam » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:23 am UTC

tuseroni wrote:no cell should be able to ignore the SIGKILL

How, I ask, should one code such a system AND still have true multitasking for every individual cell? Sometimes you have to make a tradeoff.

DanielR

Postby DanielR » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:05 pm UTC

Somehow this thread reminds me of this comic.

Would you mind if I halt the universe to attach a debugger?

tuseroni

Postby tuseroni » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:40 pm UTC

styrofoam wrote:
tuseroni wrote:no cell should be able to ignore the SIGKILL

How, I ask, should one code such a system AND still have true multitasking for every individual cell? Sometimes you have to make a tradeoff.

well for one you could raid the genome, this would give better fault protection against failed writes, perhaps a method to forcefully destroy zombie cells that ignore the sigkill, maybe if he open sourced the system the community could make improvements, but no he uses closed source binaries(er...quaternaries...) and forces us to reverse engineer it, which only took over 6 million years!

at least yog-sothoth gave the method to make creatures just like humans (or re-animate humans) from nothing but essential salts. clearly a better god.

styrofoam

Postby styrofoam » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:33 am UTC

tuseroni wrote:well for one you could raid the genome, this would give better fault protection against failed writes, perhaps a method to forcefully destroy zombie cells that ignore the sigkill

You either risk false positives or add extensive overhead.

tuseroni wrote:at least yog-sothoth gave the method to make creatures just like humans (or re-animate humans) from nothing but essential salts. clearly a better god.

[citation needed]

tuseroni

Postby tuseroni » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:41 am UTC

styrofoam wrote:
tuseroni wrote:well for one you could raid the genome, this would give better fault protection against failed writes, perhaps a method to forcefully destroy zombie cells that ignore the sigkill

You either risk false positives or add extensive overhead.

a false positive is better than no positive at all, and the body knows when a cell is broken because it checks the md5sum, but when it sends the sigkill the cancerous cell ignores it. one normal cell dead is better than one cancerous cell NOT dead
styrofoam wrote:
tuseroni wrote:at least yog-sothoth gave the method to make creatures just like humans (or re-animate humans) from nothing but essential salts. clearly a better god.

[citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Case_o ... exter_Ward

styrofoam

Postby styrofoam » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:23 am UTC

tuseroni wrote:a false positive is better than no positive at all, and the body knows when a cell is broken because it checks the md5sum, but when it sends the sigkill the cancerous cell ignores it. one normal cell dead is better than one cancerous cell NOT dead

What happens when the md5sum is corrupted? How do you deal with childbirth (when the baby won't match the mother's md5sum, and can't we trust a cancerous cell not to id as a baby)?

tuseroni

Postby tuseroni » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:41 am UTC

like i said, god already put in a system for identifying cancerous cells, thats not the issue, he just didnt put in a proper system for destroying them allowing them to ignore the SIGKILL and grow uncontrolled. a fix the open source community would have easily caught before cancer even began. we are still reverse engineering the body from quaternaries (and it would be a lot nicer if god just released the source)

styrofoam

Postby styrofoam » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:28 pm UTC

tuseroni wrote:we are still reverse engineering the body from quaternaries (and it would be a lot nicer if god just released the source)

You sure he didn't just type up the quaternaries himself? Not like he wouldn't have enough time...

tuseroni

Postby tuseroni » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:54 pm UTC

he had 7 days....no one goes writing the dna for all life (even copying and pasting most of it from other species) from quaternaries in 7 days. he probably used a compiler... i mean hell look at how much of the code doesnt even do anything...anyone coding by hand would NOT have done that, but you might expect that from a hastily hacked together compiler. probably the same one he used to compile the universe (which according the man file is based on voice inputs)

squareroot

Postby squareroot » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:35 am UTC

tuseroni wrote:he had 7 days....no one goes writing the dna for all life (even copying and pasting most of it from other species) from quaternaries in 7 days. he probably used a compiler... i mean hell look at how much of the code doesnt even do anything...anyone coding by hand would NOT have done that, but you might expect that from a hastily hacked together compiler. probably the same one he used to compile the universe (which according the man file is based on voice inputs)

Maybe he wanted to keep the extra quaternaries there - in .swf files, even after being somewhat compiled, the comments are all still there. I imagine the useless parts of our DNA are comments; but he's God, so he can just read them like that.

Or, another possibility is that the unused parts are for error handling. You know, he wanted to be prepared for a lot of things. Maybe if a fission reaction or something begins in just the right part of some muscle, that part of DNA will come into play and help us... I mean, do you really KNOW? Or if we eat nothing but twinkies for a month, maybe some will activate to help digest them and transform them.

Throw new HostessOverdoseException();
<signature content="" style="tag:html;" overused meta />
Good fucking job Will Yu, you found me - __ -

styrofoam

Postby styrofoam » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:54 am UTC

tuseroni wrote:but you might expect that from a hastily hacked together compiler. probably the same one he used to compile the universe (which according the man file is based on voice inputs)

If there is a compiler, you sure that's it? Read more like a build system ("make light", "make water", etc) or even just starting processes ("./light &", "./water &", etc), so all the code would've be written in advanced (also, considering the complexity, taking a day to compile or boot sounds reasonable).

And as for the junk DNA, there's still plenty of unexplained phenomena in the body...

tuseroni

Postby tuseroni » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:33 am UTC

im not sure if the compile time was 1 day or it took 1 day to hack it all together. perhaps the 6 day cycle was just the build process and the base code was layed out some time ago, either way it certainly shows the existence of a compiler...maybe even an ide and he isnt sharing. i cant approve of any god who close sources his creation. the universe would be much better if the entire community had access to the compiler.

Axidos

Postby Axidos » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:40 am UTC

tuseroni wrote:im not sure if the compile time was 1 day or it took 1 day to hack it all together. perhaps the 6 day cycle was just the build process and the base code was layed out some time ago, either way it certainly shows the existence of a compiler...maybe even an ide and he isnt sharing. i cant approve of any god who close sources his creation. the universe would be much better if the entire community had access to the compiler.

Code: Select all

class Country(Territory):
    def __init__(self, name):
        if name is "North Korea":
            self.name = "America"
        if name is "America":
            self.name = "North Korea"
        if name is "Soviet Russia":
            self.name = "Russia Soviet"

class Human(Lifeform):
    def __init__(self, name):
        if name is "Justin Beiber":
            self.dead = True

Somehow I think we'd build up some interesting codebanks if we were able to recompile the source code.

xLeo21

Postby xLeo21 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:01 pm UTC

ZeroSkulleton wrote:He created a programming language using only the characters A, C, G and T.

Thats what he wants you to think! The truth is that we are all part of a flash game , written in AS3 , dont believe me? Then how do you explain THIS:

Code: Select all

//well Universe_289e2 was a fail , time to start fresh

package{
   import *.*;
   import com.Heaven.Library.openDNA.Sequences;
   import com.Hell.Library.openWorld.3D;

public class Universe_289e3 extends Universe_289e2 implements WaysToImproveUniverse.XKCD
   {
      addEventListener(UniverseEvent.INITIALIAZED , bigBang);
      addEventListener(UniverseEvent.ENTER_FRAME , doStuff);

function bigBang(e:UniverseEvent){
         implementDimensions(3);
         initPhysicsEngine(PhysicsType.Mediocre);
         var mass:GooeyJelly = new GooeyJelly();
         var explosion:Physics.Explosion = new Physics.Explosion(ExplosionType.NuclearTermoTesticular);
         Explode(mass , explosion);
      }

function doStuff(e:UniverseEvent){
         createPlanet("Earth" , PurposeType.Sex);
         Earth.shape = Shapes.Sphere;
         Earth.atmosphere.oxygen = Math.Random * 1000;
         Earth.createMovieClip("Eden");
         Eden.addOrganism(OrganismType.SexPredator , "Adam");
         Adam.addEventListener(MoodEvent.BORED , createPartner);
      }

function createPartner(e:MoodEvent){
         if(e.level < 9000){
            create("Zebra");
            initSex(Zebra ,Adam);
         }
         else if (e.level > 9000){
            var Eve:HellOrganisms.Kitchen.Female;
            Eve.location = Adam.location + new Vector3 (1 ,1 ,0);
            Adam.Bones.Ribs -= 1;
            try{
               initRelationship(Adam , Eve);
            }
            catch(e:Bullshit){
               create("Zebra");
               initSex(Zebra ,Adam);
            }
         }
      }

//TODO: Create electricity , phones , the internet , xkcd and the Steve Jobs
   }
}

Return to “Coding”