What would you ask a potential web development intern?

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

wigglyworm91

What would you ask a potential web development intern?

Postby wigglyworm91 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:04 pm UTC

I am going to interview with a local organization to be an intern for web development/design (heavier on the development side, though) on Thursday. Specifically, PHP/MySQL, JS, etc. I've never been interviewed by a technical-type firm before, and I want to know what they want to know. Can anyone think of questions that they would want to ask a college student, or can anyone remember questions they were asked?

In addition, should I bring code samples with me? Will they want to see those? What else should I bring dead-tree-wise? Projects?

Any additional advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
wigglyworm91

PS. If this is in the wrong forum, I apologize; I didn't see any forum for "Getting a job" but I didn't want to put it in General because it pertains to coding.

Postmortem:
They didn't really ask any of the questions I'd seen. The only really technical question they asked was "How do you design a database and how would you query it" as well as "What is Object-oriented design." No tests of my coding ability. Kinda weird. They seemed happy that I knew about (and had experience with) JQuery.
Last edited by wigglyworm91 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Need more help or clarification? Feel free to PM me.
Fractal_Tangent wrote:(speaking of the xkcd fora)
I have never seen anyone on any website get a virtual beating for lack of proper grammar and capitalization.
I like it here.

the.coding.eye

Re: What would you ask a potential web development intern?

Postby the.coding.eye » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm UTC

If I were interviewing you, knowing that you were a college student, the first thing I would probably ask are your major and experience with various job related skills. I'm not sure if bringing samples of code in would be beneficial. If the person interviewing you is a HR person, they may not know all the ins and outs of programming. I would recommend bringing in a well formatted resume. The next thing I would recommend is to find any professional (what field they're in doesn't matter) and ask them to do a practice interview with you and give you feedback. My high school did this for all their students and it was very helpful for future interviews.
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

Indefinity

Postby Indefinity » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:25 pm UTC

I interviewed right out of college for a web development position (mostly development, both server and client side, not too much design). While I needed to know a bit of Java stuff (server side was Java), they also asked me about how well I knew certain web technologies, particularly HTTP. Know what the difference is between a POST, GET, PUT, and DELETE are for HTTP. If you know anything about SSL, that's a big plus too. (SSL is a complicated topic, so if you don't know it, I'm sure they won't hold it against you.) You should be familiar with CSS and the DOM, and I'd be at least aware of some JavaScript frameworks like JQuery (90% of "fancy" web pages use that) or Prototype.

I was interviewed by one of the developers at the company, and if you're interviewed by a non-techie for a techie job like this, it's probably not a good sign. At that point, they're basically just looking for certain buzzwords. I doubt you'll be interviewed by a non-techie. Just tell them what you know, don't lie about what you don't know (the developers I know that do interviews hate that the most, plus you're a newbie so it's not expected that you know everything inside and out). Make sure you're sociable, as the developer might be working side-by-side with you, and isn't going to recommend a jerk :)

Emu*

Postby Emu* » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:36 pm UTC

Don't be afraid to admit stuff you don't know, but if you get to something you enjoy and have an understanding of, feel free to ramble on about some of the interesting bits. This will distract them from the "don't know" parts and show them you're capable of learning about techy stuff rather than just following tutorials and howtos all day.

If you find it hard to remember stuff like the exact names of CSS properties, exact names of functions in PHP etc, let them know you're not afraid to open a browser, find the API docs and search. No point wasting an hour battling CSS when all you did wrong was write font-align instead of text-align...
Cosmologicon wrote:Emu* implemented a naive east-first strategy and ran it for an hour, producing results that rivaled many sophisticated strategies, visiting 614 cells. For this, Emu* is awarded Best Deterministic Algorithm!

Return to “Coding”