Beta testers wanted...

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Hello1024

Beta testers wanted...

Postby Hello1024 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:40 am UTC

I've made a site which lets users play online games in realtime, while at the same time also letting advanced users redesign the games with minimal effort.

At the moment, it's all at the prototype stage, but since you lot are creative coders, some of you might be able to make something cool on a saturday evening.

Here it is: http://snake.games.omattos.com

If you have any feedback, bugs, or new features, reply here or drop me a pm. :D At the moment it's still buggy and only works well on Google Chrome Development version. It also requires a low-latency broadband connection, and the server is in France, so Europe will work best.

EDIT: To play multiplayer, you need to be on the site at the same time as someone else.

To view or edit the source code go to http://snakebeta.games.omattos.com/editgame and log in as "a@b.com" with a password of "12345". Beware your changes might be overwritten by others, since everyones using the same login. If you want you can make your own login to defend your work... :-)
Last edited by Hello1024 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:08 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Axidos

Re: Beta testers wanted...

Postby Axidos » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:01 am UTC

- If, whilst dead, I press up - I'll respawn travelling up. Meaning I'll hit a wall in a split second and lose a thousand points. It might be good to inform us of that because it took me a while to figure out what the cause was, and that it wasn't just a frequent, random glitch.
- The food, even after being eaten, often refuses to reposition itself - and if it does, it very often only moves a couple of tiles away.
- Travelling right -> press left = suicide by travelling into myself. Can you disable that? If I want to quickly turn around (i.e. from right, press down+left) I don't want to worry about doing it so quickly I'll die because my snake hadn't started travelling down before I pressed left.
- The "You, Are Dead. Click here to be alive" message appears the moment my snake dies, but I can't actually be alive again until his entire tail's disappeared, even though I'm given the option. Miscommunication.
- Do I really need to get so very long so very fast? It's not a very big area to play in. Maybe that's all the nature of the game though.

Hello1024

Re: Beta testers wanted...

Postby Hello1024 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:59 am UTC

Thanks for testing... Yep you're right - all of those are issues, mostly deliberate.

If you take a look at the source code (by clicking "developer" and creating a new game based on that one), you'll see the source code has been designed for simplicity rather than functionality. I want to use it as an example of how to make games.

The fixes for all the issues you mention would probably take more than 1 or 2 lines of code, and hence I don't want to clutter the example code with them. The "getting long too fast" thing I have fixed though.

I have also changed the UI to not allow respawning till your old snake has gone. The entire UI code is just 17 lines, so adding it without bloat is hard. (that change added 2 lines)

I'm guessing you didn't play multiplayer - if you did you might see some more deliberate bugs like this (for example, the "opponent" snake will appear to "swing" his head round if there is significant latency). Allowing you to change direction while "dead" was deliberate because in multiplayer games the opponent can "block" your respawn route, stopping you respawning - by allowing you to start off in a different direction, it's much harder to block other players. I have moved the respawn point to the middle of the map to combat this though.

Play multiplayer by simply giving a friend the URL and get them to visit at the same time as you - you will both be playing in a shared board.

Return to “Coding”