Differences between MSVC++ and G++

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Differences between MSVC++ and G++

Postby sourmìlk » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:56 am UTC

I had trouble finding this on google: what common pieces of code will compile on MSCV++ but no G++ and visa versa? That is to ask, what are the major differences between the two compilers?
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

korona

Re: Differences between MSVC++ and G++

Postby korona » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:28 pm UTC

They have a different syntax for inline assembler and different builtins. gcc extensions like __attribute__ (( packed )) will obviously not compile in MSVC++ and vice-versa. GCC might have a different syntax for specifying DLL exports and stdcall etc.
When you're only using functions from the C++ standard library there is no difference.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:30 pm UTC

The biggest difference is in name lookup in templates. G++ properly implements the standard "two phase name lookup" while MSVC does not, and delays all name lookup to the point of instantiation. In practice this tends to mean that G++ is stricter than MSVC and if you write code that uses templates and develop with MSVC there's a decent chance you'll have to fix it for G++, but in general you can also have code that compiles with both and has different meanings:

Code: Select all

#include <cstdio>
#include <cstdlib>
#include <cassert>
#include <iostream>

int foo(double d)
{
  return 1;
}

template<typename T>
int bar()
{
    // The standard says that, because the resolution of 'foo'
    // doesn't depend on what template parameter is passed
    // the name is bound at template definition time -- and the
    // only thing in scope now is foo(double). This is what GCC
    // does.
    return foo(1);
}

int foo(int i)
{
    return 2;
}

int main()
{
    // However, MSVC delays name lookup until instantiation
    // time, which is now. And now, 'foo(int)' is in scope -- and
    // that's a better overload, so overload resolution picks it
    // for the 'foo(1)' call.
    //
    // Thus MSVC prints 2 here, while G++ prints 1.
    std::cout << bar<int>() << "\n";
}

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Argh, it's one thing for different compilers to interpret ambiguous code differently, but I really don't like that MSVC doesn't meet the standard. Luckily, so far I've been coding for G++ compatibility. Are there any other differences which I'm likely to encounter as problematic?
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:55 am UTC

I don't think so, especially if you do development for both simultaneously. The only other things I can think of are places where MSVC is just a bit more lax than G++ is (e.g. MSVC allows typename to be omitted some places it is strictly necessary, and there are some C++ errors you can convert into warnings with -fpermissive that MSVC always accepts), places where the standard is deliberately unclear (e.g. the contents of typeinfo name() fields -- MSVCs are way easier for humans to read and GCCs are probably more easily machine-readable), and extensions (like korona mentioned).

I wouldn't be surprised if there were a couple other gotchas, but none come to mind.

Sc4Freak

Postby Sc4Freak » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:22 am UTC

The only other one I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned is that MSVC can be a bit lax on requiring the "template" keyword. This will compile in MSVC10:

template<typename T, typename TBar>
struct Foo : TBar
{
    typedef Foo<T, typename TBar::Baz<T>> SpecificFoo;
};

struct MyBar
{
    template<typename T>
    struct Baz
    {
    };
};

int main()
{
    Foo<int, MyBar> foo;
}

But (I believe) will fail to compile in GCC. The correct syntax is:

template<typename T, typename TBar>
struct Foo : TBar
{
    typedef Foo<T, typename TBar::template Baz<T>> SpecificFoo;
};

struct MyBar
{
    template<typename T>
    struct Baz
    {
    };
};

int main()
{
    Foo<int, MyBar> foo;
}

Notice the "TBar::template". But that's probably one of the more obscure gotchas I've come across.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:34 am UTC

And that's just more about strictness. If the only problems are that MSVC++ is less strict than G++, then all I have to do to make code that compiles on both is adhere more strictly to the C++ standard.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:06 am UTC

Right. The lack of two-phase lookup can throw a wrench into the works, but in my experience in practice it usually turns into a strictness thing -- because this compiles with MSVC and not GCC (at least, I think; this one is untested)

template<typename T>
void foo() {
    bar();
}
void bar() {}
... foo<int>();

I partially help work on a fairly large C++ code base that was developed for quite some time under MSVC only then ported to GCC; I don't think we ever saw the hypothetical "silent change of behavior" situation materialize. It was a large effort, but it was fixing compiler errors rather than debugging.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:20 pm UTC

I don't like compiler errors. Am I likely to encounter many trying to compile my G++ code in MSVC++?

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:05 am UTC

Nope, not unless you use GCC extensions (pretty obviously) or C++11 stuff (depending on version). I don't recall hitting anything where I had something compile in G++ and not in MSVC.

villadelfia

Postby villadelfia » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:15 am UTC

In general, if it compiles with g++ -Wall -Wextra -Werror -pedantic (-std=c++11) it should compile on everything.

Do note that MSVC is still missing some c++11 features.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:32 am UTC

Yeah, it does lack some C++11 features. I altered my code a tiny bit to compile on both (MSVC was confused by the syntax of about two lines of my code) and I'll just use whichever has the most C++11 features enabled at a given time. At the moment, G++ has the ones I need.

Return to “Coding”