Raspberry Pi

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

roband

Raspberry Pi

Postby roband » Thu May 24, 2012 4:30 pm UTC

So, it just this second arrived and I thought I'd delve into this previously undiscovered corner of the forum to ask what people would suggest I do with it?

Currently, I'm looking at running XBMC on it so it can be used as a media server. I also want to get some sort of download client running on it - be utilising torrents or newsgroups, or both.

Any other ideas?

(There is a N&A topic about this, but as I am discussing the Pi itself, rather than the news of it, I thought it belonged here better)

LikwidCirkel

Re: Raspberry Pi

Postby LikwidCirkel » Thu May 24, 2012 5:42 pm UTC

I don't really like the RP for media-related stuff. The mass storage I/Os are limited for that, as you'll always need an external NAS or USB drive of sorts - or use really big SD cards.

If that's acceptable, then sure, it would make a decent very low-powered, always on server great for uTorrent or a simple file server or XBMC.

What I would honestly do with a RP is use it to learn about bare-guts bottom-up Linux and then get creative with the general purpose I/O. I'd first learn to compile custom kernels and remove all unnecessary features and drivers. Kernels like this compile within just a few minutes. I'd then create the most minimal filesystem possible containing only essentials like busybox /dev and /etc entries and a few libraries.

I'd try to get telnet through busybox working before even touching video.

After this all works, and I have a system that boots to a shell within a few seconds, I'd look at various hardware controller applications. You could build a sick expandable full-colour LED Matrix controller, various DMX/MIDI things among other possibilities.

More importantly (to me, at least), you'd learn more about the low-level operation of Linux and computers that you ever possibly could from using the stock big-bloated-slow distros officially supported by RP.

It's supposed to be a learning tool more than a useful appliance as far as I understand anyway.

Ultimately, it really depends on where your software and hardware interests lie. As a disclaimer, I am a professional embedded Linux software developer (I can't legally call myself an engineer yet), and the first thing I think of when seeing Big Linux on small, dedicated-purpose hardware is "why is this 99% of shit that I don't need here slowing down boot time and taking up space?"

Use the big distro if you just want it to behave somewhat like a desktop computer.

roband

Postby roband » Thu May 24, 2012 6:19 pm UTC

Wow, that's a lot :D

I'm certainly not looking to get a desktop experience from it. Learning stuff about Linux is something I've been putting off for a long time, so I hope I get some of that - even if it's just real basics like installing software.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Fri May 25, 2012 11:37 am UTC

Ultimately, it really depends on where your software and hardware interests lie. As a disclaimer, I am a professional embedded Linux software developer (I can't legally call myself an engineer yet), and the first thing I think of when seeing Big Linux on small, dedicated-purpose hardware is "why is this 99% of shit that I don't need here slowing down boot time and taking up space?"

Use the big distro if you just want it to behave somewhat like a desktop computer.

Just to offer a different perspective: I find the possibility to have a full desktop mode the most attractive part (and this remembers me that I forgot to acknowledge my preorder...)

My plans don't need that power at all, I suspect they could be done with no more than a basic microcontroller. But I have very little experience with the tools to work with microcontrollers. The same for tiny OS systems. The arduino lowered some of that barrier, but I still find myself extremely limited by both the system and my own ignorance (which would take ages to change).

So it sounds very attractive to me if I could just work with tools and workflows I am used with. Setup network access or attached devices through a GUI, run a python editor, spread out the work over many files and manage them visually, test htmls just by pointing the browser at the right directory, and eventually simply turn of the monitor when I am happy. And use a wider and more familiar internet base to search for help.

This will likely waste 99,99% of the computing power, but that's OK for my purposes.

RAKtheUndead

Postby RAKtheUndead » Mon May 28, 2012 3:57 pm UTC

roband wrote:Currently, I'm looking at running XBMC on it so it can be used as a media server. I also want to get some sort of download client running on it - be utilising torrents or newsgroups, or both.

Boring! I'm personally going to use my RPi to learn ARM assembly language without the baggage associated with smartphone development platforms, to learn embedded C once the Gertboard or other GPIO extenders are released, and to generally learn how to do stuff with power-limited hardware platforms. I have plenty of other computers to use for media consumption or the like.
"The outright rejection of technology cripples the otherwise educated mind." - RAK

tuxerman

Postby tuxerman » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:56 pm UTC

roband wrote:Currently, I'm looking at running XBMC on it so it can be used as a media server. I also want to get some sort of download client running on it - be utilising torrents or newsgroups, or both.

I am currently stuck with an internet connection that gives me unlimited data-transfer from 0200 - 0800 hrs, which happens to coincide with most of my slumber time. Currently I have my box download stuff while I am asleep, but that means running the system in full power for this.
With its scale of power consumption, the Pi would make a terrific thing to do this sort of work. One could put a tiny enough kernel in it, and have to save stuff to a flash drive via USB.

Anyone done running some small custom kernel on it?

roband

Postby roband » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:34 pm UTC

Stuck?! Hahaha, an odd choice of words.

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:23 pm UTC

I'm just going to use it to learn OpenGL ES. I may make a very simple game engine on it. One that isn't multithreaded or tessellated or anything.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:33 am UTC

roband wrote:Stuck?! Hahaha, an odd choice of words.

It could be unlimited during that time, and 60 gigs for the rest of the month. Don't laugh, I have such a connection at home, sans the unlimited at night part. It's about 2 MB/s, so we can cap out monthly usage in less than 10 hours.
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.

tuxerman

Postby tuxerman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:08 am UTC

Well it's worse. Mine just gives me 2gigs a month during non-unlimited hours.

amorya

Postby amorya » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:53 am UTC

Mine currently has RISCOS on it.It boots (pretty damn quickly), but doesn't have file system access yet.

freakish777

Postby freakish777 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

What should you do with it?

Wait til they let unlimited ordering happen.

Then.

This:

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:06 pm UTC

Ok, guess who got an RPi for Christmas? Very cool. I mucked around with Linux a lot when I was working on my phd, winding up with old pc's running as a Beowulf cluster. However, I wish I'd just had a bunch of these little widgets.

I've got it up and running as a headless unit with WLAN. Now, I'm tempted to use one as a gateway into the bbs domia remote power switches I have scattered around the house. Anyone got any experience with these?
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:56 pm UTC

Question, I'm making a portable gaming station using a pi zero and retropi, all I have left on my shopping list is a screen. Any ideas?

I'd prefer a 3-7" screen, under $25, and *mininal* setup. Hdmi is a plus. I'm turning to XKCD becuase I'm sure someone has experience in this.

This is the only related thread I could find, I'm sorry for necroing it.
Peaceful Whale wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:Spell it out for me.
I-T

Return to “Coding”