Non-coding careers for computer science major

A place to discuss the science of computers and programs, from algorithms to computability.

Formal proofs preferred.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

takarta

Non-coding careers for computer science major

Postby takarta » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:53 am UTC

Hey guys. I'm in the middle of my third summer software engineering internship right now and about to go into my fifth (and last) year of school as a CS major. I’m also doing a mathematics minor.

For a while now I’ve had doubts about whether or not I wanted to be a software engineer, but I kept telling myself “just try it one more summer.” Now, four weeks into my third internship, I've decided that programming is not for me. For some reason, I get really stressed when coding, even when I don't have deadlines to meet. Because of this, I hate being at work, and I constantly count the hours until I can go home. Coding is so tiring for me though, that once I do get home I don’t have energy to do anything fun.

I still like computer science, just not coding. I really like puzzles and problem solving, but I hate dealing with technical details.

I really like AI, but I don't have the money or desire to go to grad school, and I don't think there are a lot of opportunities in AI for people without graduate degrees.

What kind of non-coding careers require a computer science major’s skillset? I’m really open to different things, even outside the tech industry.

ruk

Re: Non-coding careers for computer science major

Postby ruk » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:09 am UTC

Hi Takarta,

I was in a similar situation to you, I did a 4 year bachelor degree in software engineering and by the end of it I began to realise I liked programming as a hobby, but I could not see myself programming 9-5 Mon-Fri.

I ended up getting into network engineering, which I really love. I play with Cisco gear day after day and can't get enough of it. There are many fields a computer science degree can lead into, not just programming! Have a look on a job search website local to your country and see what opportunities are available, it might give you some ideas on what you could pursue.

craig552uk

Postby craig552uk » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

There are *loads* of career options available to you.

Working in user support in a large organisation is a great place to start, you'll get to see all the different aspects of IT.
The problems won't be the most challenging, but you will get lots of exposure to customers.
Use this time to learn about the non-IT sides of the organisation and how IT can help them to meet their goals - these skills will be invaluable throughout your career.

From there you can take your pick.

There are big problems to deal with in all sorts of different areas; networks, server infrastructure, databases, web hosting, identity management - to name a few.
See what opportunities open up and follow your interests.
Aim to keep your skills as broad as possible and you shouldn't have too much trouble moving around (getting good at job interviews helps too).

Poohblah

Postby Poohblah » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:06 am UTC

I will echo the other posters. Try for a job in some other field of IT!

I work part-time as a Unix/Linux sysadmin, and it's great! In many IT careers, you can use what you've learned in CS, but you probably won't spend much time coding. Maybe a little scripting here and there, but for instance I don't usually write more than 50 lines of script/code a week for my job.

Nem

Postby Nem » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

Project management, some types of research (esp gov and data firms) ...

benkapparate

Postby benkapparate » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

What about consulting for software as service companies? -- like Epic Systems, the healthcare company, for example

Return to “Computer Science”