Looking for Unix project

A place to discuss the science of computers and programs, from algorithms to computability.

Formal proofs preferred.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Skolnick

Looking for Unix project

Postby Skolnick » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:27 pm UTC

Hello,

I'm really interested in the Unix/Linux scene right now and am currently studying for my LPIC-101 exam. But I am interested in maybe helping out for some project or something of the like to get some hands-on experience. I've got a VM running Ubuntu right now, which is where I practice a bit, but I'm looking for something else to practice something with a real purpose. Does anyone have an on-going project? Or maybe some suggestions for a personal project?

Any kind of feedback would be great!

beojan

Re: Looking for Unix project

Postby beojan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

Having looked up what LPIC-101 is, I'd suggest installing and running a Linux distribution (I'd suggest Debian or Fedora, and certainly not Ubuntu) as your day-to-day operating system.
Assuming you choose Debian, install without the GUI, then once the base system is installed, install the GUI (here, if you need a full desktop environment, I'd suggest KDE over Gnome, otherwise, you may want to try a tiling window manager like I3 to get more practice at using the terminal interface) yourself to teach yourself about the package management system.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:42 am UTC

@Skolnick: I'm not sure whether this fits your requirements, but I have an on-going project together with many other people, with the real purpose of "sharing joy in programming", which is not really unix-specific but can still be a good playground for the unix command line (topic 103). Some examples of fancy unix-style commands that you could run from our project:

Code: Select all

xkcd-fetch --cache-all --no-stdin --quiet --sleep-time 0.5
  # silently creates an offline database of xkcd comics
  # (takes about ten minutes in order to spare the server)

xkcd-search "(?i)spider" | xkcd-fetch | json-parse comic_title
  # shows a list with the titles of all xkcd comics that match the search word "spider"

summon $RED_SPIDER_ROOT/work/xkcd-fetch/`xkcd-fetch -ln | json-parse image_name`
  # shows the latest comic in your default image viewer

You are welcome to add your own commands to gain more insight. It will not help you with the other topics of LPIC-101. If you're still interested, follow the link in my signature.

@beojan: please motivate why you advise Debian or Fedora against Ubuntu. As it stands, it seems like you are just promoting a personal preference.
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

beojan

Postby beojan » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:01 am UTC

Jplus wrote:@beojan: please motivate why you advise Debian or Fedora against Ubuntu. As it stands, it seems like you are just promoting a personal preference.

As time passes, with projects like Unity and Mir, and more with Upstart, Ubuntu is moving further from pretty much every other distribution, and just doing its own thing. As a result, it is harder to learn about using Linux in general if you are using Ubuntu.

Skolnick

Postby Skolnick » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:44 pm UTC

@beojan well, when you put it like that, makes sense. Thanks for the tip, I was using Ubuntu because the instructor on the cbt nuggets video uses it as well. I'll probably use CentOS since I'm sure I've got it around somewhere.

@jplus sounds good, as soon as I get on a PC I'll check out your signature (mobile for some reason doesn't show it).

@everyone I was reading up on Vyatta software routers and thought it would be fun to play around with them. Has anyone used them? Would they be a good Unix playground?

peri_renna

Postby peri_renna » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

Dropping in to post a quick "thanks!" to Skolnick, beojan, and Jplus - I recently installed VirtualBox on my PC as a testbed to study Linux on, and I knew instinctively that the xkcd forums would be a good place to find out which starting Pokemon I should use.

...but while I'm here, I'll go ahead and mention that playing with Linux in a virtualizer i.e. emulator seems like a good idea, particularly if you're likely to break things. The guy who I was talking to on the subject said that the three big ones he knew about were Parallels, Fusion, and VirtualBox; I, being broke, am playing with the free one.
I try to avoid criticizing people when they are right. If they genuinely deserve criticism, I will not need to wait long for an occasion where they are wrong.
- Eliezer Yudkowsky, "Einstein's Arrogance"

Return to “Computer Science”