Degree for Coding

A place to discuss the science of computers and programs, from algorithms to computability.

Formal proofs preferred.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Rosewinsall

Degree for Coding

Postby Rosewinsall » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:50 pm UTC

Hello all. Coding and computer science are things I am fascinated by to a great extent. However I don't seem to be cut out for college. So I am wondering if I need a degree to get an entry level programming job.

If this is the wrong area to post this please delete it.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Re: Degree for Coding

Postby ahammel » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:12 pm UTC

Rosewinsall wrote:Hello all. Coding and computer science are things I am fascinated by to a great extent. However I don't seem to be cut out for college. So am I wondering if I need a degree to get an entry level programming job.

If this the wrong area to post this please delete it.
Need? No. Some of the best engineers I've worked with do not have college degrees. (I do have a degree, but it's in botany.)

You may be at a disadvantage when it comes to getting your first job, since many companies hire out of CS programs. It's certainly not impossible, though. Experience tends to trump education for most hiring managers that I've worked with in this industry (the ones with a clue, anyway), so the second job will be easier.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Rosewinsall

Postby Rosewinsall » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:18 pm UTC

Would I need a portfolio as proof of my work?

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:24 pm UTC

Rosewinsall wrote:Would I need a portfolio as proof of my work?
It certainly wouldn't hurt. That's the kind of thing I like to see when I'm involved with hiring relatively junior people.

If you've done web-app type stuff, put links to it on your resume. If it's not something that the people doing the hiring can play with personally, then just a description of what it does and why you built it is fine. In either case, if you can put a link to the source code on your github, that's really helpful for anybody looking to evaluate your skills.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Tub

Postby Tub » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:14 pm UTC

Rosewinsall wrote:Hello all. Coding and computer science are things I am fascinated by to a great extent.

Fascination and motivation cannot substitute education and practice. Whether you're self-taught, using online courses or visit a college doesn't matter much, but you do need to put in those mystical 10.000 hours. And you do need feedback and guidance from someone more experienced than you; that's easier to get in college than at home with a book.
If you cannot show your employer a degree, you need to show results, preferably in the area you want to work in. Publish a website, an app, some open source software, whatever fits.

Rosewinsall wrote:So I am wondering if I need a degree to get an entry level programming job.

There is a market for cheap and minimally qualified programming jobs, if that's your thing. Those rarely count against your 10.000 hours though, just like working at McDonalds doesn't improve your skills as a chef.

Rosewinsall

Postby Rosewinsall » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:30 pm UTC

I learned a couple languages in college so I have practice. Just need a whole lot more. And a job with minimal skills isn't my thing. I just asked about that to kind of get in the door.

TvT Rivals

Postby TvT Rivals » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:57 pm UTC

What about joining a free/open source software project?

Return to “Computer Science”