Easiness of Windows Activation

A place to discuss the science of computers and programs, from algorithms to computability.

Formal proofs preferred.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Clumpy

Easiness of Windows Activation

Postby Clumpy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:31 pm UTC

I recently had to reactivate my copy of Windows XP when I upgraded my system and reformatted my hard drive. I was interested to find out how easy it was. Obviously, I won't go into any specific details here, but license codes are all over the place and not shacked to the CD you're installing (meaning that it's all offline and the disc just knows a range of acceptable license codes) so you can get into the 30 day activation period with no effort.

The weirdest part is the activation period. I didn't want to go through Microsoft's gauntlet of crap and call them for the license number, so I did a little searching and apparently you just have to edit about five registry settings and the OS considers itself "registered". There's literally a ten-code .bat program you can write to automate the whole process! (In safe mode, of course.)

Talk about the MS "Out-of-Box Experience". Is Vista this unsecure as well or do they just count on the average guy having no idea how to manually activate their copy?

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Re: Easiness of Windows Activation

Postby Berengal » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:38 am UTC

Vista probably isn't that easy, but easy enough.
That said, microsoft probably prefers people to be using windows for free to them switching to another OS and therefore they're somewhat more lax about the DRM than certain other entities. I might remember wrong, but I think it went as far as one of the big microsoft guys actually saying so in no unclear terms, but I might remember wrong...
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Sc4Freak

Postby Sc4Freak » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:27 am UTC

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:08 am UTC

Vista is even easier. They force the install to request a license from a license server (run by the business who purchased the site license). All that needs to be done to permanently install it is configure a fake license server in the right way. I haven't checked, but I bet there are free public vista license servers already available on the 'net.

zero10

Postby zero10 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:12 pm UTC

It is more complicated than that. If you want to ever run windows updates expect your 'activation' to go away. The latest WGA patches are able to beat most of the XP activation methods out there. There are still several that work but I think discussion of their scope is best not kept on this forum.

As for vista, I know for a while there were some "public" activation servers out there. When you deploy vista on a very large scale you use a feature new to the VLK 2.0 model and run your own activation server. So long as all of your computers can reach this activation server every few months they stay activated. However, actually implementing this in public space in the real world is much more difficult. As I said, there "were" some servers out there and all of the well-known ones have been shut down. Again, a discussion probably best kept off this board ;)

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:58 pm UTC

I see no reason to keep the discussion off this board. Discussing it is not illegal. Doing it is. However, it would be unwise to actually link to any websites that serve these purposes.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:22 am UTC

I'm not sure he was talking about the general conversation, but about some specific aspect of the Vista activation servers that got a little specific. A conversation like this is no different than saying "You can build a small device that destroys an RFID tag out of simple electrical materials. Why do they build them so badly?" The answer to that would be "economics" and the guy who asked the question would be stupid.

psykx

Postby psykx » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:05 pm UTC

I like to think that you can't do something well unless you know your doing the right thing :D
Berengal wrote:Only if they're killer robots. Legos are happy robots. Besides, even if they were killer robots it wouldn't stop me. You can't stop science and all that.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:26 pm UTC

Not quite sure what you're getting at, my friend. Are you referring to the RFID tags or piracy as defined by licensing laws?

psykx

Postby psykx » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:35 pm UTC

I was just being evangelical about Linux, really this isn't the place to hate on windows
Berengal wrote:Only if they're killer robots. Legos are happy robots. Besides, even if they were killer robots it wouldn't stop me. You can't stop science and all that.

Return to “Computer Science”