Linear Alegbra 2 or no?

A place to discuss the science of computers and programs, from algorithms to computability.

Formal proofs preferred.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Mach1ne

Linear Alegbra 2 or no?

Postby Mach1ne » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:16 pm UTC

I am a CS student and I have been considering taking a 2nd semester of Linear Algebra since at the moment I seem to be interested in graphics (this could change). I don't mean the creation side like using Maya, but the programming side of graphics. Anyways I was curious to see what people thought about Linear Algebra 2 and if it would be worth it. I have taken a intro course that involves the following:

Two and three dimensional vectors, inner products, vector products, matrix algebra, linear transformations, determinants, quadratic and bilinear forms...also involves some intro to eignvalues and eigenvectors.

The 2nd semester course would involve:

Abstract vector spaces, bases and dimensions, linear maps, eigen values and eigenvectors, inner product spaces, operators, spectral theorems, canonical forms.

So any opinions as to whether Linear Algebra 2 would be a definite help, a minor help, or is taking it not really a big deal?

stephentyrone

Re: Linear Alegbra 2 or no?

Postby stephentyrone » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:37 pm UTC

Depends on what you want to do.
For straight ahead 3d graphics stuff, you probably don't need it (but you may still find it interesting and worthwhile).
If you're interested in computational vision / object recognition, etc, it would serve you well to take the class.
GENERATION -16 + 31i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

Mach1ne

Postby Mach1ne » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:00 am UTC

Hmm whats involved in object recog and computer vision that is found in LA 2?

stephentyrone

Postby stephentyrone » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:41 am UTC

Mach1ne wrote:Hmm whats involved in object recog and computer vision that is found in LA 2?

Many interesting approaches to the problem of "reduce this huge chunk of data down to a small amount that preserves as much information as possible" depend heavily on various matrix factorizations (especially the SVD, but others as well). They are also very heavily used in more general statistical computation.

From a computational perspective, linear algebra is the most useful mathematical subject (my opinion, reasonable people may differ).
GENERATION -16 + 31i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

Zanik221

Postby Zanik221 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:03 pm UTC

Mach1ne wrote:Hmm whats involved in object recog and computer vision that is found in LA 2?

Markov Chains. Though they have many more AI applications than just computer vision.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markov_chains

Return to “Computer Science”