Looking for a computer vision/others book

A place to discuss the science of computers and programs, from algorithms to computability.

Formal proofs preferred.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Mach1ne

Looking for a computer vision/others book

Postby Mach1ne » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:17 pm UTC

I am looking for suggestions on introductory books on computer vision and anything that deals with software development in the graphics field (think about software developed to help researchers create 3D models of molecules, etc.) I know the 2nd area (graphical software) seems bit high tech and a bit broad but anything will be helpful. So just lay down any ideas for books at all, I will greatly appreciate it.

taby

Re: Looking for a computer vision/others book

Postby taby » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:56 pm UTC

I've written some stuff up on using Marching Cubes (or some similar algorithm) to create an approximated isosurface. This applies to the molecular modeling that you are asking about, where one creates a "shell" based on a field of some scalar number (e.g. probability function, etc).

http://cavekitty.ca/inv_ssa.pdf

This is for 1D and 2D cases:

http://cavekitty.ca/disconnectedness.pdf

This second paper has quite a few references related to molecular modeling, and physics in general. It also has references related to semi-current research in mammalian vision and the Cellular Neural Networks that are commonly used in that kind of research. It also has a reference to a good OpenGL book dealing with advanced topics such as isosurface approximation, filters, [kitchen sink].

All of my code is public domain. If you need a hand getting started with that, just let me know. The subject is very daunting, but all of the references in my papers helped me a lot. I eventually figured it all out, so you should be able to as well... I'm not a rocket scientist by any stretch of the imagination. :)

Return to “Computer Science”