Collaborative Brilliance

A place to discuss the science of computers and programs, from algorithms to computability.

Formal proofs preferred.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

umbrae

Collaborative Brilliance

Postby umbrae » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:54 pm UTC

I hold many of the people on this forum in pretty high esteem.

I'd be pretty honored if you guys could read and provide feedback to the first blog post I've provided for my Web Application Developer job at Arc90.com

It's about Open Source Software concepts, and how they're useful in business. Ideas from everyone can help everyone involved.

http://blog.arc90.com/

Any comments hugely appreciated!

Thanks guys.

umbrae

Postby umbrae » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:08 am UTC

So I just realized how hideously boring the above makes it sound. Let me post an excerpt:

A quick thought exercise. Think about all of the people you respect in your place of work, your profession, and your social circle. As varied as their skillsets might be, they are all likely to have come up with some great ideas. Even those small, perfect little ideas - the ones that make doing something just a little bit easier. Do you remember any of those ideas that they voiced where you said, "Hey. That's a really good idea, and I never would have thought of that."

If these are the ideas you knew about, think about all of the ideas these people are having that they never even bring up - perhaps because they haven't fleshed them out, or they'd feel somehow ignorant or flat out wrong. How many ideas do you have that you've never voiced to your peers?

It talks about how ideas are the core of open source, and how good software development steals from open source patterns to create a beneficial work environment.

Maybe that's... a little less boring.

:\

http://blog.arc90.com/2007/04/collabora ... liance.php

iw

Postby iw » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:38 am UTC

I think that it's a very good idea, but not one that is exactly new. A more interesting way of approaching this idea would be to figure out exactly how to implement this idea: how do you get everyone in the company to contribute ideas equally?

I think that programmers in successful software companies are able to overcome the barriers of management and actually figure problems out and get some work done. Whether this happens because of management decisions (like at Google) or not depends on the company.

What the heck do you guys do, anyway? Are you a consulting company or do you sell software?

yy2bggggs

Postby yy2bggggs » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:40 am UTC

umbrae wrote:So I just realized how hideously boring the above makes it sound.

Quite the opposite--I'm all eyes.

umbrae

Postby umbrae » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:06 am UTC

iw wrote:I think that it's a very good idea, but not one that is exactly new. A more interesting way of approaching this idea would be to figure out exactly how to implement this idea: how do you get everyone in the company to contribute ideas equally?

That's my secret personal side-project du jour. ;) I'll be sure to post here when/if I finish it.

As far as it not being new - it definitely is not. But I get the vibe that many many companies still have not taken the plunge and actually put some trust into their employees. I think the problem gets harder the larger you scale, but I still think it's very implementable.

iw wrote:What the heck do you guys do, anyway? Are you a consulting company or do you sell software?

Much of what we do is under NDA, but I can speak in general terms. Essentially, we're doing a lot of software development for other companies (not really consulting.. more like a partnership, wherein they pay us. So, kind of like consulting, but more long term). We also have some product-based initiatives, and those are especially the ones I can't talk about (yet). :)

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:59 am UTC

umbrae wrote:That's my secret personal side-project du jour. ;) I'll be sure to post here when/if I finish it.

Come now, don't be afraid to share your ideas just because you haven't fleshed them out! :wink:
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

umbrae

Postby umbrae » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:33 am UTC

bwahahaha.

Well done, sir. ;)

Well, once I figure out what I'm actually doing, and I've got a skeleton in place, perhaps then I'll feel less tightlipped about the project. :P

Things are still pretty primordial at the moment.

umbrae

Re: Collaborative Brilliance

Postby umbrae » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:04 am UTC

So I'm going to drag this corpse of a thread back into existence - I stumbled upon it and realized I hadn't made good on my promise.

Well, I took that idea and made it software, and we're selling it! It's in private beta right now.

If you're involved in an organization, take a look - maybe it'll be useful for you guys.

http://www.kindlingapp.com

Return to “Computer Science”