Always booting from hibernation

A place to discuss the science of computers and programs, from algorithms to computability.

Formal proofs preferred.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Poohblah

Always booting from hibernation

Postby Poohblah » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:40 am UTC

I'm running Windows XP and Ubuntu on my laptop and it always takes a while for XP to boot up. I was wondering what the feasibility is of always hibernating XP instead of shutting down so that when I boot my computer and I choose XP instead of Linux, XP is ready to go. I would imagine that XP would be ready to go indefinitely since XP and Ubuntu are on separate partitions, so booting one wouldn't affect the hibernation state of the other, but I also imagine that I would have to shut down XP every once in a while to keep it healthy.

Penny for your thoughts?

lulzfish

Re: Always booting from hibernation

Postby lulzfish » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:41 am UTC

There's no problem with that, many people run XP computers with no intention of shutting down except for repairs.
But, I'm not sure how hibernation works, you might not be able to get into Linux while XP is hibernated...

But you could just try it and tell me if it works. There's really nothing you can screw up here.

Poohblah

Postby Poohblah » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:21 am UTC

tried a couple times. seems to work just fine.

edit: with one exception: I can't mount the windows partition from linux when windows is hibernated.

keeperofdakeys

Postby keeperofdakeys » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:49 pm UTC

I would say it is highly un-recommended to do this.

Maybe you should understand how hibernation works.
All operations are paused, the RAM of the computer is copied to the hard drive and the computer turns off. When the computer is restored the hibernation data is read, RAM restored and the operations resume.

Since the computer is being stopped mid-operation, the hard-drive is given a lock so that when the computer resumes, everything is where it should be. This lock is what stops Ubuntu from mounting the hard drive, (although it can be overridden). To be safe nothing should be different, my computer even locks the BIOS from being edited after hibernating.

To be on the safe side, you shouldn't do this, it wasn't what hibernation was designed for. It was designed to leave a computer in an idle state while using no power. If you are sure you will never change the BIOS, never try mounting the XP partition or mounting any partitions in Ubuntu that were mounted in XP, it should be ok. Before deciding to do this I would exhaust all options for making XP boot faster: trim startup programs, reinstall XP if it came with the laptop (theres ususally plenty of useless programs, that may be handy but not needed), try something like tinyxp (trimmed XP, some versions can be used with real license keys), trim startup programs again.

Poohblah

Postby Poohblah » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:36 pm UTC

I know how hibernation works. That's why I figured that it would be ok if the two are on separate partitions, since the information stored while in a hibernation state is on a totally separate partition from the other.

And I've already made XP as fast as I can without re-installing, and I'm not going to do that since I have some programs and drivers that I still use that I've lost the installation CD for.

Earlz
Gets Obvious Implications

Postby Earlz » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:51 am UTC

I really don't see any problem with it.. I would just say be aware that when you hibernate you still need to save everything as if you were shutting down, just in case.

The worst thing XP could really do is just crash while loading hibernate data.. I've yet to lose any data from XP crashing(other than programs with unsaved stuff)

I say go for it.. I have a problem doing that with my netbook though because when it hibernates, the BIOS won't let you boot from another device or anything like that.
My new blag(WIP, so yes it's still ugly..)
DEFIANCE!
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD

Return to “Computer Science”