What is the role of OSI model

A place to discuss the science of computers and programs, from algorithms to computability.

Formal proofs preferred.

Moderators: phlip, Prelates, Moderators General

What is the role of OSI model

Postby residentialvoip » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:50 pm UTC

I want to ask about OSI Model. What is its role in the modern lan and wan technology. Let me know if it is still being used as one of my friend complained that it is of no use in modern communication technology. Is it right?
residentialvoip

Re: What is the role of OSI model

Postby laranzu » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:58 pm UTC

residentialvoip wrote:I want to ask about OSI Model. What is its role in the modern lan and wan technology. Let me know if it is still being used as one of my friend complained that it is of no use in modern communication technology. Is it right?

The OSI Model of understanding network protocols as a layered structure is still widely used as a general concept. Many textbooks and design documents will talk about doing something at Layer 3 instead of Layer 4 and expect you to know the difference.

Nobody goes into any more detail than the seven layers because the OSI protocols themselves are effectively dead.
laranzu

Re: What is the role of OSI model

Postby v1nsai » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:10 am UTC

It just helps visualize things, it's more detailed than the TCP/IP network model. My cisco book put it in really easy terms by lining up the two and showing how the layers relate, like so:

Application Application
Presentation Application
Session Application
Transport Transport
Network Internet
Data Link Physical
Physical Physical

It helps you visualize the things going on in the Application layer in TCP/IP model because you can see that it performs the roles of Application, Presentation, Session. I didn't see the point of OSI until I saw the two lined up like that. So I'd say OSI is still worth knowing.
C:\dos
C:\dos.run
run dos.run
v1nsai

Return to Computer Science