Worth joining the Golden Key?

A place to discuss the science of computers and programs, from algorithms to computability.

Formal proofs preferred.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Axidos

Worth joining the Golden Key?

Postby Axidos » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:39 pm UTC

To those of you who play a part in hiring employees within the IT field,
What does a membership in the Golden Key honour society mean to you, if anything at all?

I have been invited but the membership fee is hefty and I'm wondering whether it's really worth joining. They only invite members with a decent GPA, but then surely I can just list my GPA and there you go.

I'm posting this in the Computer Science forum because I don't really care what the golden key means to other professions.

joeframbach

Re: Worth joining the Golden Key?

Postby joeframbach » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:42 pm UTC

To a potential employer, it means you're gullible.

Axidos

Postby Axidos » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:53 pm UTC

joeframbach wrote:To a potential employer, it means you're gullible.

A good response, suh!

I think that is the general direction of all my fears about this. I'd be forking over money for something I already have: claims about good academic performance.

kmatzen

Postby kmatzen » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:56 pm UTC

Golden Key is sort of garbage from my experience. After my first semester in college, pretty much everyone in my hallway received a letter. They can base admission off of a single semester of courses and for most, the entry level courses that they have to take in the first semester are pretty easy.

I wouldn't discount other honor societies though. For example, some will have a GPA component to be invited to elect followed by community service, interviews, and social event requirements. If you actually had to do something to get into the organization and you took a leadership role in the organization, then it is worthwhile putting on a resume. If you just had to pay some money so your name would appear on a mailing list and you would be eligible to buy their merchandise online, then you just look silly by putting it on. Companies that know the requirements then can target these organizations directly for recruiting. I've had several interviews and two internships that came out of being a member of one of these societies.

stephentyrone

Postby stephentyrone » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:08 am UTC

Axidos wrote:To those of you who play a part in hiring employees within the IT field,
What does a membership in the Golden Key honour society mean to you, if anything at all?

Nothing at all. It doesn't even register in my mind in reading a resume.

More broadly, I don't care what groups you're a member of. I care about what you've done, what you know how to do, and whether or not you can conduct yourself in a civil manner. Honor society memberships tell me next to nothing about any of those attributes.

Specific honors and specific accomplishments, on the other hand, are very much worth listing: "I received the Paddington J. Honeysworth-Farnsboro Righteous Senior Thesis Prize for my thesis proving that P != NP."
GENERATION -16 + 31i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:21 am UTC

A good rule of thumb is that if you get unsolicited mail asking you to pay a large sum of money for something you didn't even know existed, it's trash in the first place.

So yeah. Toss it!
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Return to “Computer Science”