HEXATTACK 4.0 (now moderated by emlightened)

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

patzer

Re: HEXATTACK 4.0 (Turn 3)

Postby patzer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:47 pm UTC

By the way, I just noticed that on turn 1, Soupspoon's wizard tried to use the defend move. So, friendly reminder that wizards can't defend.

Posting the new turn here too, because it's a new page.

Turn 3
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

faubi

Postby faubi » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:19 pm UTC

Spoiler:
1 Do nothing
2 Attack up-right
3 Grab down
4 Attack up
5 Move up
W Move up-right
Last edited by faubi on Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:58 pm UTC

@heury, neither faubi nor rose said not to engage, so I'll happily team up with you against faubi. May our first kill be juicy.

Spoiler:
W Idle
1 Attack down
2, 3 Move up-right
4, 5 Move down-right
← approximately how gay I am.
"a nebulous cloud of different combinations of styling bodily features"
"on either side of a wrought iron fence made of tigers"

faubi

Postby faubi » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:43 pm UTC

Btw, can you please indicate defending in a darker shade of cyan so that I can see it? (colour-blindness)

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:36 pm UTC

faubi wrote:Btw, can you please indicate defending in a darker shade of cyan so that I can see it? (colour-blindness)

ah yes, sorry.

redundant
Spoiler:
hexturn03_b.png
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:37 pm UTC

patzer wrote:By the way, I just noticed that on turn 1, Soupspoon's wizard tried to use the defend move. So, friendly reminder that wizards can't defend.
I had completely missed that, first time round. I see editing since, so not sure if you solved the poorly-mentioned mention or (more likely) I just missed the sufficiently-mentioned mention until you pointed this out and I went specifically looking for it. (It wasn't a vital action, that first turn, just an excuse to give a deliberately idle piece something to do, but definitely does change my future plans a little, such as they yet are.)

Move coming shortly. Just acknowledging this first. ;)

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:14 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:I had completely missed that, first time round. I see editing since, so not sure if you solved the poorly-mentioned mention

I guess that's what happened.

Well, I noticed upon rereading that Lawsome's original version of the rules said "wizards may not use block", so I crossed out "block" and replaced it with "defend". (i can only assume that in some earlier version of the rules, defend was known as block, and he'd simply neglected to update that particular mention of it)

threetwoone

Postby threetwoone » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:41 am UTC

Spoiler:
2 move up-left
3,4 move down-left
W move down
---Three Two One!---

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:18 am UTC

Spoiler:
1,3,4,5: Move LD
2: wait for...
W: Push LU

Sorry for the delay!

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:32 am UTC

By the way-

I added "left" and "right" to the board, to hopefully reduce the number of incidents where players confuse left and right. Considering how many of those we've had already. (which could end up kind of ruining the game)

hexturn03_c.png

threetwoone

Postby threetwoone » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:36 pm UTC

patzer wrote:By the way-

I added "left" and "right" to the board, to hopefully reduce the number of incidents where players confuse left and right. Considering how many of those we've had already. (which could end up kind of ruining the game)
What would be even better is to make a diagram showing all the directions and where they go.
---Three Two One!---

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:02 pm UTC

threetwoone wrote:

What would be even better is to make a diagram showing all the directions and where they go.

good idea :)

hexturn03_d.png

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:19 pm UTC

Do you know the way to San Jose?

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:32 pm UTC

Spoiler:
4 - attack left-down
3 - move left-down
W - defend
1 - grab right-up
5 - move left-up
2 - move right-up
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

Rosewinsall

Postby Rosewinsall » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:21 pm UTC

Spoiler:
All down

patzer

Postby patzer » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:47 pm UTC

TURN 4

redundant
Spoiler:
hexturn04.png

emlightened

Re: HEXATTACK 4.0 (Turn 4)

Postby emlightened » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:00 pm UTC

Spoiler:
W, 1 Grab Down-Right
5 Attack Down
4 Grab Up
3 Attack Up-Right
2 Move Down

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:36 am UTC

Spoiler:
Well, 2's gotta be "Attack Down"
(That just went way better than expected. There's no way a Grab can hamper me, and if Wizards can't defend then there's only one practical response and I can't not anticipate that and yet still hope for an unforced error.)

Elsewhere:
1: Move Left-Down
3: Grab Right-Up
4: Defend Left-Down
5: Idle
W: Push Left-Up (I think that'll work how I want it to!)

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:49 am UTC

Figured I should mention it whilst it's on my mind - we've got six players, so there's probably gonna be a HexAttack 4.1. It's hinted in the OP that the games after the first were often variants, including custom units etc.

It might be nice to start off simple - each team has an extra unit to defend that can't do anything. I guess there are a few potential ideas - such as the team dying if it's killed, or winning if you manage to pull it to the centre hex. Don't know what would be best.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:01 am UTC

Spoiler:
5 - move left-down
4 - attack left-down
3 - attack left-up
W - up
2- attack up
1 - attack right-up
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

threetwoone

Postby threetwoone » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:02 am UTC

Spoiler:
2, 5, 3, 4 move down-left
W move up-left
1 grab down-left
---Three Two One!---

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:04 pm UTC

threetwoone wrote:

We should somehow contrive to call one of the directions "widdershins", just to make everything "clear".
—◯-◯

threetwoone

Postby threetwoone » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:44 am UTC

somitomi wrote:
threetwoone wrote:

We should somehow contrive to call one of the directions "widdershins", just to make everything "clear".
and what about reverse widdershins?
---Three Two One!---

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:47 am UTC

threetwoone wrote:
somitomi wrote:
threetwoone wrote:

and what about reverse widdershins?

You mean turnwise?
—◯-◯

faubi

Postby faubi » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:51 pm UTC

Spoiler:
1 Move Up
2 Defend Up-Right
3 Move Up
4 Attack Up-RIght
5 Grab Up-Left
W Move Up-Left

Rosewinsall

Postby Rosewinsall » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:46 pm UTC

Spoiler:
1 GRAB down

2, 3 4 MOVE down

threetwoone

Postby threetwoone » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:05 am UTC

Can we get play-by-play commentary like in the original?
---Three Two One!---

patzer

Re: HEXATTACK 4.0 (Turn 5)

Postby patzer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:48 pm UTC

Turn 5

redundant image
Spoiler:
hexturn05a.png

commentary (as requested by 321):

- rose's wizard seems to have fallen asleep at the worst possible time. rip. first hex of the game has gone down. [edit: gone down as in died, that is. that euphemism is confusing in a game where pieces can literally go down as a move]
- emlightened got involved in some fancy grab battles with rose and faubi, which ended up achieving nothing for anyone as the grabs cancelled out achieving something for emlightened, namely, the death of faubi's 5.
- things are getting tense between heuristically_alone and their neighbors, but no deaths there yet.
- soupspoon's wizard continues to exercise its push function effectively.
Last edited by patzer on Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

threetwoone

Postby threetwoone » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:05 pm UTC

Wouldn’t faubi’s 5 get grabbed by emlightened’s 1?
---Three Two One!---

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:16 pm UTC

threetwoone wrote:Wouldn’t faubi’s 5 get grabbed by emlightened’s 1?

faubi's 5 tried to grab emlightened's 1, and if two hexes try to grab each other then neither gets grabbed.

edit: faubi's 5 is also the reason why emlightened's W didn't manage to grab their 1. The 1 was being grabbed by both emlightened's W and faubi's 5, and if a hex is being grabbed by multiple hexes simultaneously, then none of the grabs will work.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:24 pm UTC

patzer wrote:[edit: gone down as in died, that is. that euphemism is confusing in a game where pieces can literally go down as a move]

"Gone widdershins"? Because they won't now be seen doing anything Turnwise... ;)

/off to think long and hard about next moves. Can't rely on flukes all the time!

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:53 pm UTC

patzer wrote:faubi's 5 tried to grab emlightened's 1, and if two hexes try to grab each other then neither gets grabbed.

I'm fairly sure that this is incorrect. If a hex is grabbed by two other hexes, none of the grabs move it, so my 1 doesn't move. However, faubi's 5 was grabbed by my 1, so it should try to move up-left. As no other piece is trying to move into that hex in the move phase of the grab move, the five is moved into that hex. QED.

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:08 pm UTC

emlightened wrote:
patzer wrote:faubi's 5 tried to grab emlightened's 1, and if two hexes try to grab each other then neither gets grabbed.

I'm fairly sure that this is incorrect. If a hex is grabbed by two other hexes, none of the grabs move it, so my 1 doesn't move. However, faubi's 5 was grabbed by my 1, so it should try to move up-left. As no other piece is trying to move into that hex in the move phase of the grab move, the five is moved into that hex. QED.

yep, i reread the rules in detail and it looks like you're right. sorry about that!

updating gameboard now.

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:11 pm UTC

official notice: gameboard was fixed in the region of faubi's 5

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:34 pm UTC

emlightened wrote:As no other piece is trying to move into that hex in the move phase of the grab move, the five is moved into that hex. QED.

I'd also have assumed (and would also have to check the rules) that as no piece is currently in the Grab-Into square, it wouldn't matter at all (whether or not moves were ordered and, if so, whether mutual moves/etc blocked them) about Move-Phase matters.

Ditto any other interaction. Theoretically a piece could be Grabbed (Grab set up and found to not conflict; enacted) which in this new position sets up a Defense, in the wrong direction to stop an Attack (even if it was in the right direction to stop a different attsck on its old position) that then removes that piece from the board and allows yet another piece to Move into that gap, just in time to be Pushed. e.g.

Code: Select all

(A)  (G)
(D)  (G)
 (M)(P)

(((Note: 'Drawn' 90 degrees rotated from the hex grid we use in the game, because it's marginally easier to illustrate in ASCII!)))
Let's say one player owns the Gs, both Grabbing left, pulling second-player's A and third-player's D to them.
D defends Left-Down against an assumed attack by M (fourth player in the melee?) and maybe someone else generally Left-wards, not marked, chancing on protecting against that rather than possibility of the Right-Up attack that we actually know is planned.
A then attacks Left-Down (would have worked, without Grabbing, still works (in this instance) with both Grabbed)
M always only had an eye upon that central spot, originally clear and now clear again as they Move Right-Up
Wizard P (could, honestly, be of any of the players so far counted, or yet another!) might have thought she'd likely be Pushing Left-Up upon A in their original position, or whoever else might have tried to move in there, but is now doing so upon M.

(If D had defended against Right-Down, as I originally had it, I think that would stop the Push. Must check!)

A silly setup, and there are sillier ones. But that's how *I* think it would work. Correct me if I'm wrong. Or don't, and let me make a bad assumption of my own later on. ;)

((Also, it'd be interesting to see how Patzer would mark that theoretical little battle up. ;)))

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:55 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:A silly setup, and there are sillier ones. But that's how *I* think it would work. Correct me if I'm wrong. Or don't, and let me make a bad assumption of my own later on. ;)

Yep, everything you said there seems correct to me!

Soupspoon wrote:
emlightened wrote:As no other piece is trying to move into that hex in the move phase of the grab move, the five is moved into that hex. QED.

I'd also have assumed (and would also have to check the rules) that as no piece is currently in the Grab-Into square, it wouldn't matter at all (whether or not moves were ordered and, if so, whether mutual moves/etc blocked them) about Move-Phase matters.

Yes, all moves take place later than grabs.

What I think emlightened was referring to was not actually pieces using the "move" option, but rather the "move step" within the two-step explanation of how grabs work in the OP- namely, 1) [detection of pieces that are grabbed by precisely one piece] and 2) [those pieces being moved one square in the direction of the piece that was grabbing then].

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:14 am UTC

Morning!

In the spirit of entertainment, adding my own brief commentaries (obviously also not for immediate viewing by fellow players!)
Spoiler:
1,W: Move Left-Down (Opening options; Changing expectations)
2: Attack Right-Down (Speculative, and I'll be chuffed if it works)
3: Move Down (May be blocked but giving it a go to mix things up.)
4,5: Defend Left-Down (One is an element of stability in a sea of movement? And the other a visible sign of trust!)

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:28 pm UTC

Spoiler:
1 - defend up-right
2 - attack up
5 - move down-left
4 - move up-left
W - move up-left
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:07 pm UTC

Spoiler:
W Grab Down-Right
1 Attack Down
2 Move Down
3 Grab Down-Left
4 Move Down-Right
5 Attack Down