Gender pronouns for our Forum Gamers!

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Gender pronouns for our Forum Gamers!

Postby Weeks » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

Hello there! If you've been to the Mafia subforum you've seen a thread with a similar title. This one should work pretty much the same.

Post your pronouns! I'll do my best to keep this thread up to date as often as possible.

If you don't specify a precise set of pronouns and preferences, I'll try to interpret it from your post. If you think I got them wrong, if you wish to change them in the future, or if you have any other suggestions, feel free to PM me or jestingrabbit, or just post here (I'll be subscribed to this thread).

Here's an example:

Forum_Gamer_12312 -- he/him/his = they/ze/(gender neutral pronouns) > she/her/hers

This would mean Forum_Gamer_12312 is used to being referred to with male or gender neutral pronouns and doesn't mind either of those, but prefers them over female pronouns.

I would really appreciate it if discussion about pronouns is kept out of this thread. Also, please don't treat this thread as a forum game; serious entries only. Thank you.

Just in case it needs to be said, don't harass other posters, or question other people's pronoun choices.

The list is in alphabetical order, unless I forget the alphabet.

Name -- Preferences
12obin -- xe, xyr, xem = ey, eir, em > any other "neutral" neopronouns > he = she > they = it
AarexTiaokhiao -- he/him/his
addams -- Her/She or Him/he
adnapemit -- she/her/hers >they/them/their >he/him/his
ArDeeJ -- they/them/their
Arlick -- he/him/his
bachaddict -- he/him/his
beavertail - he/him/his
Belial -- they/them/their > he/him/his
bluebambue -- she/her/hers
bouer -- they, it, ze, xe, etc > she, he, his, hers
chridd - ze/zem/zir ≥ they > he ≈ she >>> it
cjquines -- male > any
cyanyoshi -- cyanyoshi/cyanyoshi's > he/him/his
dimitriye98 -- Dimitriye/Dimitriye's = he/him/his = they/them/their NEVER USE: xe/xem/xes
dudiobugtron -- it/it/its = they/them/theirs > he/him/his = she/her/hers
Earthling on Mars -- she/her/hers
Echo244 -- she/her/hers
emlightened -- she/her/hers
eSOANEM -- they/them/their
ev3commander -- he/him/his=they/them/their/their,etc.>she,her,hers>>ze,xe,etc..
faubiguy -- they/them/their = other gender neutral > she/her/hers = he/him/his
firesoul31 -- he/him/his > gender neutral pronouns
flicky1991 -- he/him/his
generalz -- he/him/his > *
heuristically_alone - he/him/his
JackHK - he/him/his/his = they/them/their/theirs > she/her/her/hers
jdj42 -- Any
Jplus -- Julian/Julian's >> he/him/his > they/them/theirs
KingTip -- He/his/him
Lawsome -- he/him/his
liberonscien -- "I don't really care which pronouns I use for me. Just no made up ones like xe."
LOLBeth -- she/her/hers
micdi -- he/him/his = they/them/their
Mikemk -- he/him/his
mrob27 -- he/him/his > they
Neil_Boekend -- he/him/his
Occam's Whetstone -- she/it (never combined)
patzer -- she/her/hers
pied typer - he/him/his
Plasma Mongoose -- hir/they/them
Rosewinsall -- she/her/hers
SDK -- he/him/his
Snark -- he/him/his
SPACKlick -- SPACKlick/SPACKlick/SPACKlick's > They/Them Their > He/Him/His > she/her/hers > it/it/its > any non-english words including neopronouns.
somitomi -- they/them/theirs = he/him/his > others
Spades -- she/her/hers = they/them/their >other pronouns
Sruixan -- he/him/his = any
SteelCamel -- he/him/his = they/them/theirs > (anything else)
Suzaku -- he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
The Snide Sniper -- he/him/his = they/them/their > anything not made up.
thecamoninja -- they/them/theirs=he/him/his > she/her/hers=it/it/its=xe/xem/xes
Thesh -- he/him/his
thunk - she/her/hers==they/them/theirs>other neopronouns>>>he/him/his
Tillian -- he/him/his = she/her/hers
tms -- any
tomtom2357 -- he/him/his
username5243 -- he/him/his > anything else
Volcano99 -- he/him/his = any
Vytron -- he/him/his = she/her/hers
WaffleKirby -- he/him/his = they/them/their > it/it/it's > whatever else
Weeks -- he/him/his
WilliamTheConqueror -- he/him/his = singular they
xelada -- gendered pronoun (either is fine) > singular they > constructed pronouns (or whatever the proper name for things like xim and phir) > it

If you want to talk about the theory of language or whether or not people should care about what pronoun is used to refer to them, this is not the thread. Also, I'll be taking over the maintenance of this list, as of March 2016. If I'm late with an edit, pm me. -jr

last edit - 16/2/2017
Last edited by Weeks on Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:37 am UTC, edited 57 times in total.
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Quercus wrote:Agreed, but "constitutional fetishism" doesn't have that lovely alliteration between fetishism, first and fucking
rath358 wrote:I have been replaced D:

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: Gender pronouns for our Forum Gamers!

Postby Vytron » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:56 pm UTC

Edit: Off-Topic discussion removed. Kept below for austerity. (edit: and posterity...)
Last edited by Vytron on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Snark

Postby Snark » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:06 am UTC

he/him/his
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

bouer

Postby bouer » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:02 am UTC

I prefer gender neutral, but I really don't care what you call me. they, it, ze, xe, etc > she, he, his, hers

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:16 am UTC

I have waited so long for this thread to exist outside of the mafia subforum. Thank you Weeks! It's annoying that so many of the forum gamers players don't play mafia, and so I have to either ask (or awkwardly avoid asking) if I wish to get the correct gender pronoun.

I approve of people being able to choose which pronouns they want to have used for them, and enjoy respecting this. However, my personal opinion on gender-specific pronouns is that they are outdated and we need to get rid of them. I also feel that species-specific pronouns, while not yet outdated, will be at some point in the future. So, in order to avoid 'dehumanising' AIs/aliens/sentient animals by using species-specific pronouns, I think that now is the time to reclaim 'it'. As such, I urge everyone to use 'it' as their pronoun of choice.

In reality, however, I realise that this is not likely to happen.

tl;dr:

dudiobugtron - it/it/its = they/them/theirs > he/him/his = she/her/hers

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:39 am UTC

I'd say my gender identity is - maybe a good word is wibbly-wobbly? So I guess it doesn't technically make sense for me to use male pronouns, but they're what I've used all my life, being for the most part male, and it's not like gender is a big part of my personality either way, so I just stick with them for simplicity's sake.

Really for me it's more a matter of grammar than actual gender. I'm in agreement with dudio on the subject, for the most part, though I think that "it" is better left as an impersonal pronoun, used to refer to inanimate objects, concepts, and non-sapient beings. Therefore, I'm a large proponent of the personal, singular, genderless "they". I don't care if it's technically grammatically incorrect, it's useful as hell, and it should be considered correct!

The one thing that kind of bugs me, though, is completely made-up pronouns like "xe" (sorry Vytron, I know you're fond of them).

So I suppose that leaves me with a kind of odd looking one:
thecamoninja - they/them/theirs=he/him/his > she/her/hers=it/it/its=xe/xem/xes (made up gender neutral pronouns)
Formerly known as Camoninja
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
Hardcore will never die, but you will.
- - -
Subsequently known as Lavender Manna

ArDeeJ
Bastet Case

Postby ArDeeJ » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:07 am UTC

I wish the english language had proper gender-neutral pronouns, not silly ones like xe/ze/etc. Anyways, am cis male and plan to stay that way, so
he/him/his ≥ they/them/their > it/it/its ≫ she/her/hers ≫ xe/xem/xyr/ze/zem/zir/etc.
puzzles (bad) | tweets (worse) | they pronouns

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:11 am UTC

Edit: Off-Topic discussion removed. Kept below for austerity. (edit2: and posterity...)
Spoiler:
ArDeeJ wrote:I wish the english language had proper gender-neutral pronouns

It does. 'It' and 'they'.
Many people dislike 'they' because it technically means more than one person (like calling ourselves 'we' instead of 'I'), but as camo argues that's basically just a pedantic hangover from the time when the English language didn't change and evolve. (That time, of course, was 'never'. It's existence just a fantasy that grammar purists appear to entertain.)
And people object to 'it' because, as I argue above, they are languishing in the present and ignoring the future.

thecamoninja wrote:I think that "it" is better left as an impersonal pronoun, used to refer to inanimate objects, concepts, and non-sapient beings.

The problem with such a pronoun being available, is that people will use it to refer to sapient beings that are sufficiently different from themselves. Like they do now. 'It' has had a long history of use as a tool for racism and otherwise dehumanising others. I think we should do our part to make the future a better place. Reclaim 'it'!

A counter-argument to my view, however, might be that the existence of such a pronoun means that we can use other pronouns to 'humanise' people and things. Using one pronoun for humans and non-humans alike might make it easier to forget that people deserve more respect that objects. But I think we're probably heading in that direction anyway; most of our significance is already just numbers in a database somewhere. So keeping a separate pronoun for non-human objects would probably just be fooling ourselves.
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:45 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:11 am UTC

I personally approve of "they" as a singular pronoun. After all, we already have "you".

EDIT: Let's not discuss this in this thread, please
Last edited by Weeks on Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Quercus wrote:Agreed, but "constitutional fetishism" doesn't have that lovely alliteration between fetishism, first and fucking

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:41 am UTC

I'm also an advocate for the second person plural "y'all". Without it, the pronoun chart is incomplete!

Code: Select all

Singular | Plural
1st|   I     |   we
2nd|  you    |  ???
3rd|  they   |  they

(although that chart actually also succinctly points out the flaw in my beloved singular personal genderless they)
Formerly known as Camoninja
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
Hardcore will never die, but you will.
- - -
Subsequently known as Lavender Manna

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:47 pm UTC

Edit: Off-Topic discussion removed. Kept below for austerity. (edit: and posterity...)
Spoiler:
dudiobugtron wrote:Many people dislike 'they' because it technically means more than one person (like calling ourselves 'we' instead of 'I')

And thus I came to save the day with the singular equivalent of they AKA xey, it's used like they but with "it" conjunctions ("xey has") - so xem/xeir/xeirs is valid. Yes, I made it up myself and have gotten some Followers Of Time to use xem.

The reason 'it' doesn't work is because:

Jaime was sitting on a chair. It had four legs.

Wait, who? Jaime or the chair? Using "he/she" makes it unambiguous, and we even know Jaime's gender, but using "xey" makes it unambiguous without revealing that. It makes it ambiguous (see what I did there?). And yes, Jaime had four legs.

Also, what's this opposition against made up words? Did you know that ALL the words you are used to and love today were made up by someone at some point in the past? Including y'all. Language evolves with made up words, someone does it, and if other people like it, or find it useful, they start doing it, and it spreads. That also goes with word pronunciation, et al.

You won't believe how people from 2080 will be talking, a message from the future would scare xall, I'm sure.

Speaking of y'all, it opens a big can of worms, since it's short for you all, you also need w'all (we all), t'all (they all), i'all (it all - for many objects "i'all had little screens and red buttons") and it even remains problematic because w'all isn't clear about if it includes we and you, or just we (so "w'all are invited to the party" may not necessarily mean y'all are included, but it could). So I made up xall to cover for it all.

dudiobugtron wrote:I think we should do our part to make the future a better place.

All these problems are caused by people that get offended when they are called the wrong gender by other people, usually by women that are assumed to be male, and males assuming most people on the internet to be males.

So, for a better future we can teach the next generation to not care about that. Instead of having to have a thread where people say what's the preferred way they want to be called, everyone has a personal list of ways they want to call other people.

It'd also help if the forum software had an option to specify gender on the profile, so it appears below the avatar, for people that want it to be known and assumed, and including a Neutral option (the default) for people that don't, so we use genderless pronouns for them but we don't need to use a specific genderless pronoun depending on their tastes (which is inefficient.)

Back when I joined the forum, I specified my maleness in my Location, and even made fun of people that were gender-confused by other people and weren't using their Location for that, but eventually, I figured out the best way to go is to not be offended when people "do it wrong", and it has worked since I've never been called a she.

So, sorry, not going to keep a mental list of the precise genderneutral pronoun people want me to use for them, and not going to keep checking back this thread for it, but it's nice to know the gender of people, and know that calling them the wrong gender may be as infuriating as using made up genderless pronouns for them, so, why bother? (haters will hate)

Also, what's with people wishing to keep their gender secret in the internet? That's like wishing to keep it secret that my eyes are brown, it's not like it's the kind of information that would cause damage, so I don't get the people that just say they want to be called genderneutral without extra information.
Last edited by Vytron on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

How other people feel about their own genders and how they choose to identify is not up to you to decide nor would it be in the scope of this thread if it were. Desist.

Also, your ideas about the grammatical niche of "y'all" are silly.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

Edit: Off-Topic discussion removed. Kept below for austerity. (and posterity...)
Spoiler:
Whoaoa! Didn't realize this thread wasn't part of Forum Games and it's instead Serious Business, so I apologize for stating my opinion, as wrong as it* was.

*The opinion.

Belial wrote:Also, your ideas about the grammatical niche of "y'all" are silly.

I think you mean "awesilly", like my hats.

I also take back my very first post on this thread, people can call me a she if that's their fancy.

Sorry, I don't get many chances to rebel against authority, I'm desisting in 3... 2... 1...[size=4].
Last edited by Vytron on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

Spoiler:
re: "Vytron vs it", one could equally argue:
Vytron wrote:The reason 'xey' doesn't work is because:

Jaime was sitting on Jaione. Xey had four legs.

Wait, who? Jaime or Jaione? Using "he/she" makes it unambiguous, and we even know Jaime's gender, but using "xey" doesn't make it unambiguous without revealing that. It makes it ambiguous (this joke doesn't work with 'xey'). And yes, Jaime had four legs.

All pronouns have some ambiguity, unless they are made specific to each person.
Having some way of distinguishing between people based on their characteristics is the problem with gender-specific pronouns.

Ambiguity in pronouns is exactly my design in recommending 'it'. Maximising ambiguity is the only way to stop pronouns being used to distinguish between people. Why do we need pronouns that make a distinction on gender? Or on humanity? Or on (for eg) hair colour?
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:45 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:20 pm UTC

I would really appreciate it if discussion about pronouns is kept out of this thread.
Am I gregnant

patzer

Postby patzer » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:13 am UTC

he/him/his
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Lawsome

Postby Lawsome » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

he/him/his

/my lord/the emperor
Spoiler:
Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Rosewinsall wrote:DOWN WITH CERTAINTY!

Are you certain of that?

Moose Anus wrote:I let my wife think I'm watching porn in the bathroom late at night, but I'm really playing Dwarf Fortress instead.

Arlick

Postby Arlick » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:37 am UTC

He/him/his/He/him/his/He/him/his/why are there three of me?
I have some questions, and by that I mean one. Is anyone else afraid of toasters?
Go easy on my spelling, I am slightly dyslexic.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:46 am UTC

On second thought, I won't be adding "humorous" pronoun entries, lest this thread turns into a forum game too. I'll edit the OP accordingly.
Am I gregnant

tms

Postby tms » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

Your pick (any).
- No, son. I said 'duck'.
- Duck duck duck duck! Duck duck duck duck!

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:11 am UTC

she/her/hers

Rosewinsall

Postby Rosewinsall » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

she/her/hers

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:23 am UTC

Julian/Julian's >> he/him/his > they/them/theirs
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:00 am UTC

he/him/his always
Discord for Forum Games posters
(Please let me know if the link doesn't work)
----
adnapemit wrote:I think flicky is the no pants kind.
Carlington wrote:flicky has done it
portmanteau of poo and post
the truest "shit"-post

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:27 am UTC

Male pronouns.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

cjquines

Postby cjquines » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:33 am UTC

male > any

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:45 pm UTC

As a person, I fully identify with he/him/his. As a username on a forum, I can work with it/it/its. I'd prefer not to have others; I won't get insulted if it's used incorrectly, but I will point it out.
Spoiler:
Dimochka is a cute/childish name for "Dima", which is short for Dmitry/Dimitry, if anyone was wondering. Origins are Russian.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

jdj42

Postby jdj42 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

Any pronoun.

LOLBeth

Postby LOLBeth » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

Female pronouns.

(I actually deliberately chose to include a gender indicator in my user name, trusting that this would not create an instantaneous loss of credibility.)

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

he/him/his

dimitriye98

Postby dimitriye98 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:38 am UTC

It/It/Its

Note the capitals :P
Join nomic. It's awesome and fun.

dimitriye98

Postby dimitriye98 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:27 am UTC

Fun-fact: They is actually grammatically correct as a second person gender-neutral pronoun. Just lookup themself in a dictionary :P

tomtom2357

Postby tomtom2357 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:35 am UTC

he/him/his
I have discovered a truly marvelous proof of this, which this margin is too narrow to contain.

firesoul31

Postby firesoul31 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:54 am UTC

Any are fine. Thanks, Weeks.
Last edited by firesoul31 on Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Pronouns: she/her/hers or they/them please.

micdi

Postby micdi » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:41 pm UTC

Male preferred
Blitzing the OTT (hibernating).
Sometimes flickering into the Present.

dimitriye98

Postby dimitriye98 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:51 pm UTC

Change mine to:
Dimitriye/Dimitriye's = he/him/his = they/them/their NEVER USE: xe/xem/xes (I hate the pseudo pronouns, look "they" or "themself" up in a dictionary, it may be archaic but it's correct)

I was joking around when I asked to be referred to as an Eldritch horror.

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:28 am UTC

he/him/his = they/them/their

micdi

Postby micdi » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:25 pm UTC

add they/them/their to mine please. It should be
micdi - he/him/his=they/them/their

thanks!
Blitzing the OTT (hibernating).
Sometimes flickering into the Present.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:28 pm UTC

dimitriye98 wrote:I hate the pseudo pronouns
Reminder that this is not a thread to discuss pronouns. You don't have to explain why you don't want to be referred to by a certain set of pronouns, and I rather prefer you don't anyway.
Am I gregnant

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:13 am UTC

(Such discussion is welcomed in this one)

Return to “Forum Games”