The Forum Games Discussion Thread - Farming RPG Coming Soon

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Vieto

Re: The Forum Games Discussion Thread

Postby Vieto » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

I think what we should do is instead of having a pre-made map, have only your section of the map (and a few provinces) up, and then let other people add their country and section of the map. That way, the map will look organic, everyone can have the starting area they want, etc.

for example:
Map_example.png
Map_example.png (5.74 KiB) Viewed 6864 times

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

thecamoninja wrote:Locations and geographical features in the real world have meaningful or descriptive names in whatever language they're named in, or at worst they have seemingly arbitrary names that have an interesting history behind them. In Works of fantasy like Tolkien, locations and geographical features have descriptive or meaningful names either in English/Westron, the common tongue, or in one of multiple types of Elvish, or any other of the 14 languages that Tolkien actually invented, and such names can be translated back into English. In many fantasy settings, you get names that sound like your stereotypical 'fantasy name' but don't actually mean very much at all. If someone wants to invest a lot of effort into world building and work out a very good reason in the grand scheme of their world to call a range of mountains 'the Mountains of Elblordoth', I find that highly commendable. I just don't want it to be arbitrary.
If an alien in an alternate universe dreamt up our world, and wrote a story about Joe Smith living in Texas, he would translate all the dialogue into alienese. What do you think he would call Texas and Joe Smith, though? IMO the most logical way to do it is the phonetic equivilent in alienese of how Joe Smith pronounces "Texas" and "Joe Smith". The alternative would be to call Texas the alienese word for "Friend" (google tells me that Texas means friend in Native American). But I think that's silly. I'd go with "tecks-us". So while the dialogue in the alien's story may sound very natural in alienese, "Texas" and "Joe Smith" would sound exotic to the aliens.

So to work backwards, when you DON'T have first-hand knowledge of fantasy worlds and instead are just trying to fake it, it makes sense to come up with exotic and arbitrary made-up words for locations and other things, because the sounds of those words is what is meaningful to the characters, not the meaning of the words. IMO.

What's the point in coming up with a backstory for the name Texas when the characters don't even know it?

@Vieto: The problem with that is that some people are stupid and other people think they're funny. Then greenland and orangeland lose interest in the game because this isn't what they signed up for and they're too timid to tell off redland.
Redland.png
-Adam

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

I get what you mean by real names instead of Fantasy names. I generally try to have somewhat meaningful names (and I often look to the real world/Google translate for inspiration), instead of just having something like "The Cove of Banascuroth" or something meaningless like that.

On the other, I may have a few "fake" names and invent a sort of history behind them.

And, on the third hand, I have to allow players to create enough names on their own.

Vieto: That's an interesting proposal. My only fear would be:

1. Geographical wtf-ness- If we have every player creating a new territory right next to the others we'll end up with 7 different styles of geography right next to each other.

2. Closeness- This method requires everyone to border each other. Whereas with a pre-made continent, we can separate a bit if decided.

3. Gameplay- One of the options I was considering was that you simply just start out with your capital and the little bit of countryside surrounding it. Although I suppose you could craft some of the neighboring area you planned on conquering late. Or I could scrap this idea completely.

One possible idea we've been throwing around is that you all start on this continent but later on expand to conquer other continents. Maybe you might start off on a pre-made continent and then start crafting your own foreign possessions... hm..

Here's the pre-made map I have so far:
http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss27 ... 3c1105.png
(If it looks familiar I edited part of a Rorschach inkblot)

What do people think? Pre-made map, or add-your-own territory?

@Adam, in this case, I'd slap Redland across the face and keep them in line.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

@Adam: Then we make some rough guidelines and veto any map addition which does that sort of thing.

@ Djehut
1 & 2. To be fair, I never stated you have to border anyone, but the intention was that you could also add in some neutral countries or disputed areas. While I did draw otherwise, it was just an example.
3. We could do it this way, I suppose, and have people start off with a city state and some nearby citystates of similar culture.

And I like your idea about starting out on one continent/region and expanding outwards, like a fantasy colonialism type game. I kind of want a game with some strategic tension, which is not had if players are based on seperate continents not conflicted over much stategic resources.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:27 pm UTC

Vieto wrote:@Adam: Then we make some rough guidelines and veto any map addition which does that sort of thing.
Maybe I shouldn't have used such a trolly example. I think there are two related problems with everyone designing their own territory. First, that will turn into the main part of the game, and once the territories are designed everyone will drop out. Second, every territory affects every other territory. Someone will lose interest because one or more territories destroys the illusion of a believable world.

Actually, screw it, I'm going to make a world-building game so that we can get it out of our systems! Don't worry DJ, it won't be competition. :D

My preferences in order:
1) The mod designs the base continent. Players pick a territory out of a set list provided by the mod. Players can eventually explore past the ocean and whoever discovers a new continent can design it. This gives players incentive to stick with the game and explore.
2) The mod designs a very rough map that is just a guide of how the territories fit together. It doesn't even have to be a picture, it could just be a description of each territory. Then the players pick a territory and draw a map of it.
3) The mod designs the entire world.
4) The players design the entire world.
-Adam

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

I'm posting this here for two reasons.

- I do not want this thread to die and vanish into obscurity
- Not everybody interested in the Science Games is necessarily following SGIV.

So, Science Game IV (SGIV), has ended as of this post. Which means that Science Game V can start as soon as we find a mod to run it... which is why I am posting this post, to ask you if you want to run SGV.

Do you want to run SGV, have complete control over a world and all the poor players which will throw themselves into that world without knowledge of anything remotely resembling the rules? Do you have a sufficient ruleset? In that case, go ahead and start the game. :)

If nobody else want to be the mod, then I can potentially take that role. However, November and NaNoWriMo are coming up, so I'd rather not have that extra drain on my time.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

Adam's game is developing nicely.

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Adam's game is developing nicely.

One problem with it is that I always read it as "Collaborative Word Building", and then wonder about what that could be as I click on the thread; only to realise it is actually just the World Building game.

So, my question for forum games discussers is - what would a 'collaborative word building' game look like? How could it be made fun and interesting?

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

dudiobugtron wrote:So, my question for forum games discussers is - what would a 'collaborative word building' game look like? How could it be made fun and interesting?

You could have some sort of system where you create a pretend etymology for a word.

Start: Poom refers to a stick used to move logs around in a fire
Step 1: Poom refers to any implement used to move logs around in a fire
Step 2: Poom can now be used as a verb for any sort of fire maintenance
Step 3: Poomer is someone who is in charge of maintaining a fire
Step 4: Poomer is now used as a general descriptor of anyone who does menial physical labor.

Not sure if this would actually be interesting.

Lunch Meat

Postby Lunch Meat » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

orangedragonfire wrote:I'm posting this here for two reasons.

So, Science Game IV (SGIV), has ended as of this post. Which means that Science Game V can start as soon as we find a mod to run it... which is why I am posting this post, to ask you if you want to run SGV.

Do you want to run SGV, have complete control over a world and all the poor players which will throw themselves into that world without knowledge of anything remotely resembling the rules? Do you have a sufficient ruleset? In that case, go ahead and start the game. :)

If nobody else want to be the mod, then I can potentially take that role. However, November and NaNoWriMo are coming up, so I'd rather not have that extra drain on my time.

I might have an idea for one, but I'd have to think about it for a few days.

Mauthe Dhoo

Postby Mauthe Dhoo » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

orangedragonfire wrote:I'm posting this here for two reasons.

I'm completely enamored with the idea of the Science Games and I'd love to play in one.

However, I don't currently have an idea to mod one. I tried to come up with one (as soon as I read the previous threads, actually, because they were so cool) but I instead ended up with something that would be a lot more appropriate for a Challenge Your Assumptions 3: The Assumptions Strike Back. I'd never start a new one till the current one is solved. (People seem confident that they're on the verge of it, but... )

Also if someone wanted to try collaborating on modding an SGV, that might be a worthy experiment. Two mods would keep the pace up, so long as both were flexible and enthusiastic about working within the other's rule adaptations/improvisations. Of course it could peal apart into madness instead, but hey 50% success rate is good for science, right??

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:05 am UTC

Mauthe Dhoo wrote:I tried to come up with one (as soon as I read the previous threads, actually, because they were so cool) but I instead ended up with something that would be a lot more appropriate for a Challenge Your Assumptions 3: The Assumptions Strike Back.

Nice, will be looking forward to that! :)

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:13 am UTC

I really want to mod a science game, and I've had some rules brewing in my head for a while, but nothing written down yet. I plan to have something in a little under a week, but I'll be happy to wait and perhaps twerk my rules a little more for SGVI if someone want to hos SGV first.
Formerly known as Camoninja
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
Hardcore will never die, but you will.
- - -
Subsequently known as Lavender Manna

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:19 am UTC

I'm interested in running a cross between Mao, Gambit, No Lying, and Seven Spies.

Well, saying that the last two are part of it is kind a stretch; however, that is where I got the idea from.

Basically, all the rules and the wincons for each player are written on "cards", which are distributed randomly to each player. Examples of cards might be

Card 1: The current owner of this card may not begin trades.
Card 2: You cannot win with this card in your hand.
Card 3: Every card written in bold is true.
Card 4: You must hold Cards 3 and 4 in your hand in order to win.
Card 5: If Card 4 had the numbers of each of its cards replaced with that number plus one, it would be true.
Card 6: Card 5 is true.

etc.

Obviously, some rules will be posted in the OP.

Also, you can trade cards (publicly posting how many cards you give and how many you recieve), and @player spoilers, and you can also just post the information on a card.

Also thinking of it having the No Lying rule.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Obviously, it requires a mod, at the very least, for randomizing the cards.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:13 am UTC

I don't think it needs a mod, as long as there can be multiple copies of the cards, and the players randomize them themselves (ala Dice Gambling).

Maybe players can transform cards into other cards (say, you have 2 cards of Type 1, so you can join them and end with a card of Type 1 and a card of Type 4, etc.)

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:02 am UTC

Sounds great. I'm in favour of the no lying rule. :)

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:59 am UTC

Also, there could be cards that have different effects depending on the gamestate.

"This card allows you to draw a card from any other player if you have two or less cards left."
"This card's effect only applies if you also have [other card]"
"The effect of this card stacks if you have multiple copies of it."
etc.

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:01 am UTC

Pointing out that not all the cards are true (cough card 4 above cough)

I guess we could do a dice gambling thing? How would that work to randomize it?

I post cards in a random order

1: Card 3
2: Card 4
3: Card 1
4: Card 1 - 1
5: Card This Is Not A Number

(Obviously there won't be 1 cards, but still, random numbers.)

then another player posts a derangement

etc.,

then we follow it back up? Is that the concept?

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:30 am UTC

Ha! That could work too and it's very ingenious, that'd be the way of the Snakes And Ladders game.

Example for 3 cards:

Player A (original shuffled cards):

Card 1
Spoiler:
Card 3

Card 2
Spoiler:
Card 1

Card 3
Spoiler:
Card 2

Player B (the guy from where guys pick from)

A
Spoiler:
Player A's Card 1

B
Spoiler:
Player A's Card 3

C
Spoiler:
Player A's Card 2

So here, Player C picks a letter A-C, and if he picks A, he gets Card 3 (PA's 1), if he picks B he gets Card 2 (PA's 3), if he picks C he gets Card 1 (PA's 2.)

This allows Player A to be player C, as he doesn't know B's order.

It could be implemented as follows:

There's a Player A putting an original list all other players reference, and all the rest of players are a Player B, which reference A's list. First Player B picks from A's list directly. Second player B picks from first player B's list. Third player B picks from second player B's list (repeat as necessary). Player A picks from last player B's list.

Dice gambling was just people going for a random source to get a number (which could be matched against a list).

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

See, here's the thing.

i just realized that i may have been unclear about tis:

the intention was that this be like gambut/no lying/seven spies: all the cards start out distributed, and noome knows alk the cards. that's the part which is kind of important: some of the cards contains peoples actial wincons!

yes, that means that players might not know their wincons at the beginning of the game.

no, the wincons will not be bastardly and make it impossible for you to win once do a certian a tion.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:14 am UTC

Well, if distribution is a thing this becomes easier:

Hold a list of all the cards in the game, shuffled.

Have players pick what cards they want from the game (this is open, player knows other player got card 9, but they don't know what card 9 does).

The "mod" gets the cards that nobody else wanted (he picks last), so he can play.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:16 am UTC

Oh, wait, the mod would know the cards of everyone else...

Hmmm, okay, so a scheme as the above with player A and an player B is ticked over it, player B can just be the first player that signs up, and redirects the cards picked to reference A's list. Now, not even the mod knows what cards people ended with (player B knows what cards were referenced in A's list, but doesn't know what cards those are.)

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

That game DEFINITELY needs a mod to write the rules. Seriously. :P

Anyways... would anyone want me to mod a game that's sort of like Risk?
-Adam

Snark

Postby Snark » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

I like RISK though I think it could suffer from game length issues on the forum. How will your game be different from Risk?
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:37 pm UTC

Basically what I was thinking:
-Smaller board (Game of Thrones map maybe?).
-Every turn, all players move at the same time and without official knowledge of other player's moves.
-There's a heavy fog of war; you can't see any territories you don't currently occupy.
-You can move as many troops as you want from as many territories as you want, but you can only move each troop once to an adjacent territory per turn.
-Different combat - every other attacker kills 1 defender, and every other defender kills 1 attacker. (so 40 vs. 30 results in 25 vs. 10) Whatever troops are left alive remain locked in combat for next turn.

So it's not Risk, but that's the closest game I can think of.
-Adam

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:47 pm UTC

Speaking of games like risk, I think 'Diplomacy' would make an excellent forum game.

bluebambue

Postby bluebambue » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

There have been a couple of attempts at Diplomacy in Faid. They went well until either the mod disappeared or players disappeared.

Snark

Postby Snark » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:51 pm UTC

Never played but would be interested in learning diplomacy.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

bluebambue

Postby bluebambue » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:33 am UTC

I would also play.

I was in one of the games and was doing well up until I sent in a move wrong and messed up all my plans.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:18 am UTC

I don't think game length is a problem for a forum game.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

I want to play diplomacy! I've never played before.
-Adam

Snark

Postby Snark » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

Is Diplomacy capable of having the mod be a player? If so, I'll start doing research tonight and try to put up the game soon. If not, sadness.

bluebambue

Postby bluebambue » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:44 pm UTC

I think so.

Moves can be submitted in spoilers similar to Adam's Kingdom control. The mod is in charge of interpreting the moves (which are usually submitted in a very standardized way) and updating the map.

Although I prefer PM due to people not knowing to whom you're talking, a modless game should probably use the @playername spoilers.

FaiD thread viewtopic.php?f=47&t=61057&hilit=diplomacy
scarecrovv made a python program to make making maps easier, which you may be able to ask them about

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:21 am UTC

What is Diplomacy, exactly? I've always heard of it, but never seen it.

bluebambue

Postby bluebambue » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:10 am UTC

A game full of broken alliances.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

I'm willing to "mod" Diplomacy, but someone else needs to take the lead and create an OP and ruleset. I can compile PMs and be an unbiased referee if there are questions or ambiguous actions.

I kind of like that I don't have access to FaiD, but it means I'm not going to be able to see the other diplomacy games. :D

I thought of a bwilliant idea: Kingdom Control Mafia! It's not mafia, just kingdom control with different win conditions than survive and conquer: 2-3 players are secretly scum which means they can chat privately and their goal is to eliminate all the other players, and everyone else (town) needs to eliminate the scum. In my head this works really well; it gives incentive to work together until you suspect someone of being scum, and the strategy for scum seems pretty interesting, too.

It requires a mod, but being both a mod and a player isn't working out anyways. Having an unbiased mediator is reeeeally quite valuable... But it would need at least 5 players, so if it can't get 5 signups + 1 mod then it won't work.

Other changes I'd want to make:
Spoiler:
Cut it down to 4 phases per year: Fall Harvest, Winter Market/Feast/Tax, Spring Harvest, and Summer War. Fewer harvests and combining the market, feast and tax into a single phase means less figuring out what to craft/trade/buy which seems to be everyone's least favorite part. The Winter phase would consist of first everyone submitting buying and trading actions, then the feast can be processed immediately followed by the tax. So there's only set of actions per phase, which should make the game about twice as fast.

Get rid of the neutral trading post.

Change the war so that every unit has health and damage (per this post), possibly add more units (archers, footmen, rich citizens, lords, castles).

Rebalance:
-Food-consuming units (cits, soldiers, etc.) should all require a total of exactly one peasant (make them require more metal/logs/stone to compensate).
-Food shouldn't require peasants (just combine wheat and food into 1 resource).
-Walls won't need soldiers to "activate" them (I like the idea but it's too complicated and the mod will just make mistakes), they will just be less effective.
-Only raw resources and gold can be found in harvests (no trebs, cits, soldiers, etc).
-Make Raiders more effective or just get rid of them.
-Simplify harvests; give every resource the same probability of spawning (with gold x4) and get rid of bandits/dangerous areas.
-Adam

Snark

Postby Snark » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

After looking more into diplomacy, I don't think I'd be up for modding it, but I would like to play. Adam, here's a quote of the last FaiD mod post before it was abandoned:
scarecrovv wrote:Spring 1905

Orders received (text):
Spoiler:
Austria (_infina_)
F Gre - AEG

England (bluebambue)
F Por H
F MAO - Gas
F IRI - MAO
A Wal - Bel
F ENG C A Wal - Bel
A Hol - Kie
F NTH - Den
F Swe S F NTH - Den

France (rath358)
A Kie - Bel The specified territories are not adjacent.
A Ruh - Hol
A Par - Pic
A Bre H
F Spa(SC) - MAO
F WES S F Spa(SC) - MAO
F Mar - Spa(SC)
F Rom H
F Nap - TYS

Russia (An Enraged Platypus)
F Nor - NTH
F StP(NC) - BAR
A Lvn - StP
A Sev - Ank
F BLA C A Sev - Ank
A Rum H
A War H
A Ber H

Turkey (sillybear25)
civil disorder

Orders received (map):
Spoiler:

Conflicts:
Spoiler:
[list][*]As the English Mid-Atlantic fleet took Gascony, the Irish Sea fleet tried to enter the Mid-Atlantic behind them. However, they were blocked by the French fleet sailing from Spain, with support from the French fleet in the Western Mediterranean. After a large naval battle, the French control the Mid-Atlantic.
[*]The French army in Kiel tried to block the English army from making an amphibious landing in Belgium. However, they couldn't find a path from Kiel to Belgium, gave up, and defended Kiel from the English attack from Holland instead. The French fleet tried to take Holland from the English, but failed to do so.

Map with orders resolved:
Spoiler:

Retreats:
Spoiler:
None!

Game Chart:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

00 01 02 03 04
A  3  5  5  5  7
E  3  5  6  8  8
F  3  5  6  8  9
G  3  5  3  0
I  3  4  4  2  0
R  4  5  6  8  9
T  3  4  4  3  1

I am not up for playing Kingdom Control Mafia, so I'd be willing to help by PMing the 2-3 scum players to tell them they were scum, and maybe post their chat in a spoiler in thread occasionally. I wouldn't be up for actually modding though - too time consuming.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:35 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:I kind of like that I don't have access to FaiD

Why? Everyone can get access.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:41 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:
Adam H wrote:I kind of like that I don't have access to FaiD

Why? Everyone can get access.

It's my thing. :)

Also, I'm worried I'll be even less productive if another forum is opened up to me!
-Adam

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:47 pm UTC

Heh, yeah, I think I opened FaiD just to see what kind of threads were there, and to visit linked threads (like the cheat sheet of March Madness) but hadn't even clicked a thread from there XD

Return to “Forum Games”