Collaborative World-Building

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Lawrencelot

Re: Collaborative World-Building

Postby Lawrencelot » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:38 pm UTC

Oh now I remember how I showed the pictures: upload attachment --> posted attachments --> Place inline

Vloosdaarim is a dry and cold country north of the Midrean Kingdom, relatively isolated because of the Northern Ocean in the west and the Vloos mountains in the east. While the Midrean royal family members were all fighting for the throne, many of the Midrean peasants felt threatened and became so poor they fled their country in search of a better life. From the islands they sailed north to the lands of the native Daarim. Although the natives of Vloosdaarim helped the Midrean peasants at first, the attitude of most Midreans had become so rude due to their feuding royal role models, that the peasants were not welcome to stay anymore. Many of them kept travelling north, as it was impossible to go east, and the feared the Ingramid Empire, and so they settled in Hardrådjørd. But some of the peasants stayed in Vloosdaarim and fought the natives, and until this day the natives and newcomers are fighting over the land, and the many minerals that can be found in the mountain range.

colabwb2.png

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:47 pm UTC

Sint Eustasius' Most Ecclesiastical Retreat (Semer) is an isolated island and monastic community, home to a variety of deeply religious people seeking a more holy life. A plurality of its people are from Virga, but there are large numbers from Puntz, Sicanta, Caspasia, Corona, and Cyrusia. A few have even been spotted from as far away as Rawrls and Manoya.

Semer is notable as a neutral location for international conferences to take place.
Attachments
cwb6.png
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:15 am UTC

South Orthatrey was once a part of the Orthatroi Empire. It was forcibly removed from the control of the main Orthatroi government by command of its emperor some time ago. Chrekin Dranskinzen, heir to the throne after his father Talit II passed away, had some theories about why exactly he, whom he loved so much, actually passed away. The reason the court medical examiner had given was typhoid, but Chrekin didn't believe that, seeing how sprightly Talit seemed days prior. Rather, he thought someone had poisoned his father in a way that looked shockingly like typhoid. Let it be known that Chrekin was not too educated in medicine.

There is a long-standing stereotype in Orthatrey that people of the south, especially those who live in the hill lands, are almost always mad chemists, due to the easy access of many uncommon materials useful to science and medicine in the earth and flora around it. There is some truth to this - "pharmaceuticals" is near the top of almost all South Orthatrey surveys on what major teens wish to pursue. However, Chrekin believed this stereotype was without exaggeration - so, out of rage, he demanded the entire south be seceded from the empire, and borders to be heavily guarded between the two.

Since then, tensions have laxed, and trade agreements are made between the two bodies. Of course, there are still many bigoted people who continue to believe, and push to be put into textbooks, that a southerner or even a ton of them collaborated to assassinate Talit II. On top of that, the two's cultures have divided so far that re-annexing the South is hardly an option - they've too much a unique idenity. Most notably, painting and sculpting in the Orthatroi Empire is one of the highest-lauded fields you could enter, but in South Orthatrey, they're much bigger fans of sports.

The capital of South Orthatrey, Toukroddew, is located on the interior of the hook-shape of the river.

xkcd 45.png

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:22 am UTC

Norgulia (In between Ałendielle and ) was originally part of Ałendielle. In fact, it was the homeland of the snake country.

Long ago Ałendielle forged a mighty kingdom on the landmass known as Farria. There were other competing snake factions also in Farria, one being an unnamed predecessor to Norgulia. This specific faction was obsessed with exploring and sailing. They eventually landed up on the island where Yggdrasil resided. Fascinated by the marvelous tree, they spent many years there building up theories and philosophy about the tree (Never aware of the natives who also lived there). When they returned, they brought a new full-blown religion into their snake faction, which led them to become very savage and raid and loot all over the globe. While Ałendielle did manage to come out on top, and conquer all of Farria, their religion was drastically different from the Norgulian's, we'll call this religion Norgic.

Norgic might have not been the official religion, but it dominated most of Farria, making the Ałendielle leaders angry. For a very long time the rulers of Ałendielle waged war on this 'barbaric' religion, and now culture. It devastated the lands of Farria for hundreds of years, eventually turning into the Norgic believers on the southern side of the landmass, and Ałendielle on the northern side.

While the war raged on for a very long time, most of that time the Norgic peoples did have an advantage. They preformed religious raids on major Ałendielle-loyal coastal cities, moving all the power center of Ałendielle inward. It was tough to get to the important Ałendielle cities for the Norgic because of their large army still available from conquering Farria. The raids did, however, demolish Ałendielle's income, which eventually led to the demise of Ałendielle on Farria.

Ałendielle's troops eventually ran out of supplies, clothes, and weapons. It became more of an attrition war, and the Norgic were winning by a landslide. Despite their barbaric ways, their focus on navy built a fairly strong trade network with the kingdoms to the west, which made great amounts of money (Not to mention that anyone who didn't trade with them also got looted to hell). The Norgic pushed past Ałendielle's forces and finally ended the Thousand Years War. The Ałendielle and anyone who followed and believed in their culture was banished to their current island.

Unlike Ałendielle, Norgulia does not treat visitors nicely, usually taking the prisoner and beheading them at a Great Blot if they do not believe in/are open to the religion of Norgic. Their culture is vastly different from Ałendielle's, although they are still the same race. Norgulian residents do tend to use their venom more than Ałendielle. It is still strange that if people are willing to accept their culture, they rarely leave, and as the myth goes they too become a snake.

Get ready for an upset:
Spoiler:
With wrap:
xkcd_46.png

Spoiler:
Without wrap:
xkcd_46without_wrap.png
Last edited by KingTip on Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:37 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
I'm baaaaaaaaack! ( <- sort of ironic cause I left for a little bit, but I might be back...)

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.
Believe in a smiling god.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

patzer

Postby patzer » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:01 am UTC

@KingTip

You didn't upload a full-size version of that map. Good turn though. (admittedly, I am wondering why snakes wear clothes... :P )

edit: Shall we make this a toroidal planet? So it wraps round east-west as shown by KingTip, but north and south extend almost indefinitely.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:31 am UTC

yeah I thought something was wonky. I could probably fix it, but I'm on my chromebook right now and I get home tomorrow night so I can use actual applications instead of just the web(which chromebooks can only use). (I used some sketchy online photo editor, so frankly I'm not surprised that it came out wrong)

About the toroidal world idea, I'm all for it.
I'm baaaaaaaaack! ( <- sort of ironic cause I left for a little bit, but I might be back...)

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:59 am UTC

EDIT: Oh dear. I've left KingTip off the map. Someone fix me please? (Also, Kingtip's version leaves Patzer's most recent nation off, which should probably be corrected).

To be completely honest, I'd rather not put limits on the map borders without discussion and consensus amongst active players first. If people do think this is a good idea though, we can go with it.

We could also discuss making all current borders finite, and proceed to fill this map and then starting Round 2 with a brand new map.

East and West Khibran (Officially The Most Tranquil Sultanate of Khibran and The Democratic Republic of Khibran, respectively) are the two entities which claim sovereignty over the entirety of Khibran. However, in actuality, the country is divided between the two east and west. There is also an actively disputed territory between the two, which the two sides clash over and does not firmly belong to one or the other.

Khibran is largely desert country. While areas near the western and southern coasts are more lush, the interior is desert with the exception of a number of scattered Oasis. Khibranis largely made their living, if not from agriculture in one of the more fertile areas, from artisanal skills and trade up and down the coastline. Later on, Khibrani merchants would sailed the wide seas, collecting knowledge, rare artifacts, and making journeys to the farthest reaches of the map.

Originally the country was inhabited by numerous tribes, both sedentary and nomadic. Over time successive kingdoms would rise up in different parts of the region. Khibran would first be united into a single nation under the ancient Khibra Dynasty.

During the height of the Pentaterriad Empire (now present-day Cyrusia), Khibran would fall to the Pentaterriads during their military forays into the surrounding region. A vassal state was established, and a dynasty imported from the Pentaterriad capital was installed as the royal family. This was also the time when a narrow corridor of land was granted to Khibran, giving them control of a port on the sea to the north. This helped develop Khibran's golden age of merchants, as this corridor allowed them to trade on both seas.

As the Pentaterriads declined, their vassal rulers in Khibran managed to hang on and strengthen their own rule as the outside influence crumbled. Under their early reign Khibran developed extensively. It became a notable player in local economy and culture. To this day, regional fondness for Khibrani-style tea customs and grilling is a holdover from that time period.

However, the latter part of this dynasty saw decline. Beginning with a prolonged drought and followed by a slowing of trade due to a rise in violence and piracy in the area. Historians argue whether this decline was due to the incompetency of Khibrani Sultans or just general bad luck. Either way, the Sultanate responded by cracking down on the populace in response to unrest due to these events. Freedoms were inhibited and dissent was harshly punished. Modern Khibranis describe this period of economic recession and political-social crackdown as "the Dark Days".

Finally, several decades back, with the Sultanate weakened and the people restless, rebellion broke out. After a fierce response which included a mass execution of 500 accused "soldiers" by the old regime, public discontent turned into popular revolution. After several years of fighting the embattled and weakened regime was finally pushed out.

From this end, however, came new conflict. Out of the fragmented revolutionary coalition came two competing camps.

The first camp argued that monarchy wasn't bad for the people. Khibran had always been a monarchy, and it was the type of government the people were used to. Their repression wasn't due to monarchy itself. It was due to a tyrannical regime imposed on the nation by Cyrusian oppressors. A virtuous native Khibrani ruler would be a benevolent and strong guiding force for the nation. Support for this camp was popular amongst people who had been a bit closer to the center of power in the old days, such as government officials, several powerful merchants, and especially military officers. It was geographically more prevalent around the east of the country, especially the capital.

The second camp argued that while, yes, a tyrannical regime had been imposed by Cyrusia, a powerful monarch of Khibrani blood could be just as bad. There was too much chance of repression with a strong ruling class providing over the people. Democracy would be much better. Giving the numerous people around the country a say to choose representatives to convene together and work out fair laws taking everyone into account would be a better way to run the country. People in this camp tended to affiliate with the lower and artisanal middle classes, as well as rich merchants from the west who were not as politically connected to the capital. They were geographically more concentrated in the west of the country. Merchants and immigrant enclaves had brought ideas of democratic government from abroad, and this was the area where the earliest rebellions had occurred.

Unable to reconcile their differences, each side quickly established their own government, claiming sovereignty over the whole of Khibran, and quickly declaring the other to be illegitimate.

The armies of both sides met in the middle, sparking a whole new war. Khibranis on both sides clashed, fighting from the coastline deep into their desert, often for nothing more than pride, philosophy and a little bit of sand. To this day, great trenches and war debris can still be found scatted in parts of the desert. There were a great deal of casualties in these skirmishes, which embittered each side to the other.

The war finally ceased with the Treaty of Batar Oa, which ended fighting on the large scale. However, to this day a great swath of land (see map) remains disputed between the two sides. It is patrolled by each, and skirmishes are common.

The notable exception in the disputed region is Batar Oa itself. Batar Oa is a settlement located around a great eponymous Oasis in the middle of the Khibrani desert (yellow on the map). Batar Oa is the religious center of all Khibranis, home to the Altar of Fire. By ancient tradition, violence is forbidden there, and even animal slaughtering must take place outside of the traditional settlement borders. Due to this, both sides have foregone any attempt to gain control of the city. Thus it has de facto fallen under the authority of the monks residing there, caretakers of the religious sites. Batar Oa is both a popular site of pilgrimage and vacation, and is the one place where Khibranis of both sides throw aside their differences. Even the two governments will use the town as a location for negotiations and peace talks.

After the Treaty of Batar Oa, both sides concentrated on rebuilding themselves, which they each achieved to a certain extent.

East Khibran (the Sultanate) is really more controlled by a military junta. While the public has limits on rights and privileges, East Khibran has focused on developing its economy and standard of living with fairly decent success. It has established a good foothold in both industry and trade. East Khibran has focused on building up infrastructure, like roads, hospitals and public sanitation, and is reforming the education system. A great deal of emphasis however is placed on military strength, which does sap resources from the other efforts.

West Khibran (the Republic) is a democratic nation whose people take great pride in their rights and freedoms. Elections are fairly free, although there are concerns about corruption in the government as well as a bit too much influence by rich merchants and industry leaders. West Khibran has also focused on building up its economy, although it's infrastructure is more lacking, and West Khibran takes a more privatized approach to services like medicine and education than its Eastern counterpart. Liberty in West Khibran is highly valued with perhaps the only exception being military efforts to support the eastern border.

Both sides, however, are fiercely proud Khibranians. Each hope for the eventual reunification of the country, of course under their own government. Relations with Cyrusia have warmed since the Dark Days, although they're still the target of public anger and propaganda. Khibranians on both sides hold a grudge against Cyrusia due to their installment of the vassal regime, although Cyrusians, having long forgotten the actions of one of the rulers of the Pentaterriad Empire, are profoundly confused by this.

Attachments
colabwb_zpsjxwfvwse.png

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:20 am UTC

Oh yeah I took my map from reecer's, he also does not have patzer. I could probably make my nation fit on one side, as well as add yours (By the way, figured out what what wrong with my old one, fixed now and much better). Sorry, I guess I should have asked before connected east-west. I'll edit this in a sec to have connected sides and continuous sides, and everyone can decide which they prefer.

Current world (minus Patzer's most recent) with wrap east/west:
xkcd_47wrap.png

No wrap:
xkcd_47without_wrap.png
Last edited by KingTip on Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:52 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:49 am UTC

Works for me. You can also add your next country if you wish, as it's a new turn.

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:58 am UTC

I'm all for creating a new story for a country, but I've had enough messing around with an online knock-off of ms paint for tonight. I'll post tomorrow.

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:30 am UTC

To start off the discussion at hand, I'm in favor of either leaving the map to be expanded upon infinitely or stopping it completely at current dimensions.

Allowing the map to go on infinitely allows us to be about the original intent of the game. Doing so basically has us going along our current course. It allows us to expand the world in giant and crazy ways. I mean, look at what we've done so far. Some of the more recent far-out additions in the past few days have made this map crazy different. Infinite expansion would be a really interesting way to go.

On the other hand, capping it off is an option we've never talked about. All real maps have a finite size, after all. The horizon must end somewhere. Capping off the map gives us a different way to be creative, I think. Infinite horizons give us endless options to do new stuff. But if we put edges on the map and say "this is it, fill it in" then we have to become creative due to restraints. We have limited area to work with. How do we finish filling in the map in a creative and aesthetically appealing way. Are we going to create a new continent in that big white space, or is it going to become the equivalent of the mid-Pacific and become mostly water? What's our finale?

And probably the most interesting thing about capping this map off is starting a brand new one, which is interesting in and of itself. We could go in entirely new directions.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:16 am UTC

Hah! I thought about wrapping the world there myself, good job KingTip. See the map below for the solution I propose. It offers:
-expanding infinitely north and south
-has KingTip's toroid idea
-still offers space to start a 'brand new map'
-includes Sint Eustasius' Most Ecclesiastical Retreat (Semer)

Let me know if you think this change is too big.

Another thing I had in mind before this discussion was that this world is a really big planet, but only a part of it had the right climate. We would have to be creative in coming up with interesting things for the really cold and really hot parts of the planet. But now that the world is a toroid this doesn't make sense I think.

colabwb3.png

The North Ring, also called the Edge of the World, is a range of icy mountains high up in the north. The most northern lands of the world are already very cold, imagine the temperature on top of the mountain plateau tens of kilometres above sea level. Because of the mist, the mountain range can only be seen from the most northern countries, or from the highest peaks. Rumour has it that another world lies beyond the Ring, and some believe that it is where they go when they die.

patzer

Postby patzer » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:00 pm UTC

Looks good! I support using Lawrencelot's latest map.

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:57 pm UTC

The Realm of Nirandistan

Life in the Far North evolved much differently than in Central World. The basics of life were changed early on, making microorganisms there grow much slower, and slowly adapt to the extreme cold. Intelligent life developed much later than Central World, appearing much after the Central World's Age of Dawning.

The Realm of Nirandistan is most commonly agreed by the Northern People as the first organized country in the Far North. It was once a group of tribes, but quickly modernized into a council government of sorts. Every tribe leader puts in a vote for which tribe should be Lead Tribe. The Lead Tribe's chief then is appointed as president until death, then votes start again. Tribes may not vote for themselves.

Land in the Far North is on average much higher above sea level. With the oceans frozen over, snow has piled up after a while and doesn't melt. This also means on the other side of the North Ring, the mountains were more like hills, allowing the Northern People to view the warmer Central World. They can feel the temperature change even at the top of the mountains, they would have no chance of surviving in a world so hot. However, they are fascinated with the liquid water. Most Northern People believe this is the land of gods, and they have formed a diverse religion based on their interpretations of the god kingdoms on the other side.

However, lately there has been corruption in the voting system...

The Holy Empire of Dinkara
Lately, a few tribes of Nirandistan have been replacing other tribe's votes with votes for the tribe of Dinkara. Dinkara was very religious, and had radical plans that could change the Far North forever.

When the other tribes figured out something was wrong, they had their own vote for Lead Tribe. They forced the corrupted tribes to follow the new Lead Tribe, and excluded them from future votes. As has happened many times before in history, this angered the Dinkara supporters to no end, and they declared their secession from Nirandistan. Nirandistan refused to let their large realm split, so The First War was started.

Named 'The First War' because it was the first bloody conflict the Northern People took part in, this divided Nirandistan and forced them to choose between ideals. Dinkara promised a strong government, as opposed to an ever-changing weak one. They also promise that they will uphold their religion and bring about a new era of peace where they could meet their gods.

The First War was relatively short. Dinkara had been building an imperial army for a while in anticipation of this, while Nirandistan had a very weak army of spearmen. Dinkara and their Imperial army swiftly destroyed Nirandistan and established a ruling family, and with it, the first feudal country of the Far North.
Attachments
xkcd_49.png

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

patzer

Postby patzer » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:13 pm UTC

KingTip deleted the gap in the North Ring, so I made another one.
also, I think we should stop making so many giant empires in the future. I don't feel they contribute very well to the game. Plus those recent ones are really ugly.

The Gateway of Janus contains a narrow pass across the North Ring, one of the few ways of crossing it. A frozen place, for ten months of the year it is covered in thick snow and impossible to cross. The only settlements are fortresses with stored food and fuel to last the long winter, which open up to the sky during the eight weeks that the snow is thin enough to be passable (it never disappears completely).

During the eight weeks that the pass is open, the few traders who are brave enough to face the conditions do their business; due to the length of time it takes to cross, most traders cross the pass one summer, and return the summer after. Tolls from the traders are the sole source of income for the Janusians.
Attachments
Janus.png

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:59 pm UTC

I don't quite understand the new thing that's going on here. We're kinda making a new map, yet it's attached to the old map?

Kingtip: I don't quite get your map addition in particular. You added two countries, yet you added 3 colors (grey, dark blue, yellow) to the map?

As for larger countries/empires, I try to vary myself when creating new countries. Get in a good medium of tiny/small/medium/large/huge. It represents a natural diversity of country sizes.
Last edited by Djehutynakht on Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:05 pm UTC

Sorry, They are kind of ugly. I intended for them to be much smaller, but zoomed in above the north ring I had no size references.

@dj I think we're doing a toroidal world, where the world extends north and south but wraps east and west.

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:13 pm UTC

Again, though, why 3 colors for 2 "countries"? I don't understand your cartographic reasoning here.

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:16 pm UTC

Sorry I didn't see your edit: the gray was like the southern continent, like 'wasteland'. Basically the water for the far north, since all water would be frozen. For the 2 countries, I was thinking you could create 2 closely related countries separated from the same, like your last post. Although looking back maybe yours were more like one country split.

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

patzer

Postby patzer » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:44 pm UTC

Nice work, Lawrencelot. Thanks!

You forgot to label Ivalia on the map, and forgot to include Old DAXSEW and the North Ring in the list, though :P

KingTip wrote:Sorry, They are kind of ugly. I intended for them to be much smaller, but zoomed in above the north ring I had no size references.

ah, I see. it's okay. I've made an altered map where your countries are smaller. If you don't like it we can continue to use your original, though.
Attachments
Janus.png

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:18 pm UTC

Tooitanni is a kingdom which lies on an isthmus connecting to the peninsula comprised of Lleyfuld and Trucito. It is a warm climate, made so warm by means of ocean currents. Traditionally the Tooitani are fishermen, herders and fruit-growers.

However, what has made Tooitani world famous is the wood of the native Torgi trees, which are found almost nowhere outside of Tooitani's borders. The wood of the Torgi tree is prized for the creation of musical instruments. Torgi wood is said to produce a vibrant and pleasing sound like nothing else in the world. The wood's appearance, which blends in streaks of blue and red with the brown, makes Torgi instruments a thing of beauty as well.

Torgi instruments were first utilized by the fishermen and herders of Tooitani, who would play simple flutes and string instruments to pass the time. They were also used during village rituals and celebrations as well, where prayers and local legends would be recited to the people through song. Torgi wood gained its worldwide reputation after merchants from Khibran heard the sound of the native instruments and, discovering the properties of the material, began exporting the wood and promoting their product around the world, leading to its immense popularity.

When the King of Tooitani discovered the international attention being given to the nation's musical industry, he acted quickly to preserve the country's newfound source of wealth. Live Torgi trees, saplings and seeds are strictly banned from export. Many merchants have tried but, so far, they have generally been caught. The harvesting and export of wood is closely watched by the government as well to ensure that the country is receiving it's due profit. Many acres of land across Tooitani are now devoted to the cultivation of the Torgi tree for instrument production. Tooitani also participated in "Torgi diplomacy" using their position as instrument makers to ensure their peaceful neutrality. Other royals can surely expect to receive one of these prized instruments from the King as a gesture of goodwill. And to this day a traveler through the middle of the country can still here the sweet melody of the traditional pastoral flutes floating through the foothills.
Attachments
Colabwb_zzzzz.png

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:33 pm UTC

patzer wrote:Nice work, Lawrencelot. Thanks!

You forgot to label Ivalia on the map, and forgot to include Old DAXSEW and the North Ring in the list, though :P

Fixed. The North Ring was there, under T

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:05 pm UTC

Also, I've never written a write-up for Caspasia, which I should do:

Caspasia (orange one that kinda looks like a backwards J) is a nation that hugs the coastline for all that it's worth. The rise of the Dead Woods to the west had, for all intents and purposes, scared the living daylights out of the inhabitants. Thus a mass exodus began, headed for the eastern coast. Years later, after the woods expanded from the fissure eastward, swallowing up a slice of Caspasia's now mostly-abandoned eastern territories, a second mass migration toward the coast began.

A traveler who decides to brave a foray into Caspasia's western areas (the locals won't stop you, but will think you nuts) will find a curious phenomenon. Miles and Kilometers of old villages, almost entirely abandoned, dot the landscape, remnants from the great exoduses. While many people tried to cart away as much as possible (including entire houses for some) much of these old villages remain standing. They have in turn been swallowed up by the ever-expanding creep of nature, which will in time cover them entirely. But for now, many of these old villages, towns, and even cities remain.

However, Caspasia did order the creation of a number of fortifications erected across the western territories, to act as guardians and also look-out posts to report on any creeping advancement of the Dead Woods. These dark fortifications line the border so that one is always within sight of another, even if a small one. This is an undesirable posting. Caspasians will often try to entice foreigners to sign up for service there to avoid doing it themselves, including rewarding them with vast tracks of abandoned western land. This has led to the beginning of a small repopulation of the west with foreigners who take up the offer. Caspasia is also known to conscript prisoners into service in the western fortifications. One such fortification which lies abandoned, Castel Ganimos, very close to the edge of the woods, is entirely abandoned, and lore says that is now inhabited by a powerful undead lord. This has become the basis of one of the nation's most popular horror stories.

There was an attempt to establish a similar set of fortifications in the south during the time of the Pentaterriad Empire. This, however, failed, and the Pentaterriads conquered Caspasia for some time. Today, however, there is peace, and the Southern area is bustling.

In their lives a little more crowded around the sea, however, Caspasian life has mainly returned to normal. It is doing well with trade and industry. It has become good at telling horror stories, which are popular in the region. Several institutes of magic exist. Their main goal lies in finding a way to stop, and ideally reverse, the expansion of the Dead Woods. Whoever so achieves this will be the nation's hero for all time.

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:34 pm UTC

@Patzer This is what I had in mind! Thanks, yes we'll use that. I'll have another country up in a bit, I have an idea

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:00 pm UTC

I don't want to offend, but is anyone else really bothered by KingTip anti-aliasing the countries they make? All the other countries always look nice and crisp, and follow the same aliased style. You know for sure if one pixel is part of a nation or the ocean. But KingTip's additions are going in stark contrast to all of that. Not only is it really distracting, but it also makes it pretty hard to add a country adjacent to theirs because the border is all blurry and unsure.

So, could you please use an aliased brush, KingTip? If I didn't phrase this in a really rude way accidentally? Dunno how to get this across without sounding like a jerk. Thanks.

I have a country to add, but I don't want to ninja a country already being made.

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:10 pm UTC

I knew someone would notice this eventually. As I mentioned earlier I am currently using a weird ms paint rip off, that also happens to be online. It is only because I am currently on a chromebook and can't use ms paint. I am getting home tonight though, so I'll make my next country (and edit my previous ones to be) nice and crisp.

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:13 pm UTC

Ah, that's totally okay then. Really, if you want to post it now, I can probably manage to edit it to an aliased state while keeping what you were going for with it.

patzer

Postby patzer » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:22 pm UTC

Lupinia is a place of unpopulated alpine meadows. Located in a large plain/valley surrounded by higher mountains and plateaux, many a cold traveller has been swept down to Lupinia by katabatic winds, or just tempted down by the offer of sanctuary from the cold- the many caves offer comfortable places of rest. However, the more seasoned traveller might find something off, and soon notice that there is not a large animal in sight.

The main resident of the meadows, the lupins, are in fact both sentient and carnivorous. While superficially just another blue flower, they actually can move and extend their stem. The lupin's blue flowers act like miniature vacuum cleaners, and can suck in a wide variety of materials. When an animal is asleep, a nearby lupin will suck the oxygen from the air in the vicinity; once the animal is dead, it is gradually consumed by the lupin, and its nutrients distributed through shared roots to other lupins. A root network crosses the entire nation to transmit food like this.

Now awareness of the true nature of the lupins has spread, the area is avoided by almost all. (As long as you don't fall asleep in Lupinia, you should be safe there, but few are courageous enough to risk it).
One exception, though, is that it is a common place of murders and suicides. Many a time has a person disposed of their foe by drugging them and taking them to the lupin lands: as the lupins' method of killing is completely painless, there is no chance of the victim waking up.

It is rumored that the lupins believe themselves to be the only sentient species in the world, though this hasn't been proven.
Attachments
lupinia.png

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:33 pm UTC

Aw man! :lol: believe it or not I was going for a sentient plant species for my next country. I like yours, though. It's different and probably better than I would have done it. Anyway I'm on my way home now, I'll post my next country when I get there (maybe around 3 hours, give or take)

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:09 pm UTC

btw, Lawrencelot, I recommend ignoring the "The" on countries when labeling them alphabetically. It works for libraries, after all.

The Orthatroi Empire, mentioned before, was originally a large bunch of citystates, thriving on the area's numerous rivers (only the main ones are located on the map). For a long time, all these citystates were independent, but eventually they formed tight coalitions with other citystates they traded with commonly and trusted heavily. There were about six of these at their latest point of independence, functioning like full states in all ways except that they had no unifying government between them. The citizens acting as if they were as well, to the point that they received culture shock when they went to some other citystates in a coalition because of the difference in laws and punishment. Independantly in each coalition, groups of citizens sought to change that, gathering support for and creating an official democratic ruling over all of the citystates. This, over 50 years, was the creation of the six Orthtroi interarchs ('interarch' being the fancy word created to give their states cool names): Trey, Ilera, Pyr, Orth, Vaiph, and Imith.

Xkcd 48.png
Xkcd 48.png (2.26 KiB) Viewed 2231 times

The interarchs of the Orthatroi Empire before south secession.
Going clockwise starting from the top, they are
Vaiph, Orth, Trey, Ilera, Imith, and Pyr.

Just because the interarchs formed through peace didn't mean they didn't have rivalries with each other, of course. Orth, particularly, was overall much more warlike than other interarchs. Mythologically, this war hawk personality originated from the fact that they controlled Mt. Inalissid, which was seen as a crack in the earth, releasing either its ambition (if you were an Orth) or its rage (if you were not) upon the populace. In reality, it's an active volcano. Regardless, the Orths first went to war against Trey only 23 years after Orth formed as an interarch. In a decisive victory (mainly because Trey hadn't thought to form any sizeable unified army at all), Orth had taken full control over Trey. At the time, the country was still called Orth, but Troi activists much later on petitioned to have the country renamed to "Orthatrey" to pay attribute to half their culture

Orthatrey renamed static for over a hundred years, before the people got sick of tense relations prohibiting trade with any of the other interarchs. The only solution in the populace's collective mind was to gain control over the entire land, so they could have much more choice in trading. So, one-by-one, every few years, Orthatrey took over each of the other four independent interarchs. As the combined cultures of Orth and Trey had felt much more powerful and deserving than the others for fairly long, they loathed the idea of having these ingrates be able to vote like them. The only option to them was clear - they had to take down their republic and form a monarchy. So, they elected the Dranskinzens to become their royal family and gave them incredible power over the interarchs of the west, but much more reasonable power over the original east, and offically made Orthatrey an empire in name.

Eventually, almost all feelings of the west being inferior were stopped, and the royal family was forced into having much less (but they still were much more than a figurehead) power over all of the populace.

Xkcd 47.png

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:09 am UTC

You know what I figured out? I think I'm starting to trend in the direction of larger countries because as the map gets wider, the smaller countries are "shrunk" to a smaller portion of the map.

Mental note to keep in mind.

Looking back actually, yeah, that's probably fine. The general gist being one idea per turn. If two countries with a very intertwined relationship does that, then so be it.

Brúnsfjörð is a cold nation found between a range of snowy mountains and rocky fjords. It contains Utretta Point, the northernmost point on the continent. Brunsfjord shares kindred culture with other nearby nations such as Hardrådjørd. The people here migrated from the south many years ago. Brúnsfjörð is barely warm during just enough of the year for some farmers to be able to grow crops. Others are herders, especially of fjalbison in the mountains, whose thick coats are harnessed to keep the population warm. A large number of people are fishermen, going out in the northern waters to harvest the bountiful fish found in the cold waters.

The most noble and highly respected fishermen are the Sæskrii. These hardened individuals prefer to think of themselves more as warriors than fishermen. Sæskrii hunt Sea Monsters. Great squid-like creatures to be exact. Their journeys take them deep into the ocean, where they could be killed as much by bad conditions as anything else. Finding a beast, the Sæskrii warriors then enter into a protracted battle with the animal using lines, nets, spears and long, hooked knives called Sæskblað. These hunts carry a high risk of injury or fatality. Some boats simply don't make it back. But those who do are given high honor and praise. The warrior of the hunting party officially credited for the prize receives the honor of the animal's beak, which he will wear as a trophy. One youth who lost a hand on his first hunt and who was awarded the beak actually fastened it onto the stump of his arm and used it as a weapon.

Brúnsfjörð is inhabited by a number of different clans, each of which is headed by a chief. It's not uncommon for people to migrate from clan to clan as needed or intermarry. All of the chiefs meet twice yearly in a great Thing, where they decide on matters of the whole land. In times of emergency or war, the chiefs may designate a King who has authority over the entire land. All chiefs are then expected to send their families as hostages to the king in order to ensure their loyalty. Usually, however, the King will send back the older sons or other relevant family members to help out with whatever situation is going on. Kings may retain their title after the crisis has passed, but usually stop exercising a huge extent of their Kingly authority.

From the fishing and hunting expeditions, the people of Brúnsfjörð are well aware of the Northern Ring of Mountains. It is the stuff of great legends. According to Brunsian lore, the mountains are actually the ridges on the back of a great serpentine dragon, who has been entrusted to separate their land from the land beyond after the fighting of a great and destructive war. It is said that the gods reside somewhere beyond the great mountains, although others do as well.

Several Brunsian adventurers have attempted to cross the Dragon's Ridge over to the other side. Many have turned back. Many have never returned. One man is said to have done it. Urruk the Great. Urruk, a former Sæskrii, set off for the mountains in a boat alone, and returned two years later. He refused to disclose exactly how he had done it, but brought back an artifact so otherworldly and tales so astonishing that few doubted him. Urruk is hailed as the greatest hero in Brunsian lore. When he died, by his will his body was placed in a large stone sarcophagus. This was taken far out to sea and, with great effort, placed atop a large rock jutting out of the sea, not far from the Ridge. Fishermen can attest that the box is still there, though its carvings have long been smoothed by the relentless pounding of the waves. However, legend has it that Urruk is not there, and that those from the Other Side came for him, resurrected him, and brought him back over, where he remains to this day.
Attachments
Colabwb_zzzzz.png

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:33 am UTC

Nowa Siemieniakowszczyzna is a nation on a peninsula and lots of islands, just east of Puntz. They speak a language which is utterly incomprehensible to anyone from outside the country. Most of their neighbors dislike them, as can be seen if one examines their history. The nation's primary income sources are fish, shipbuilding, and providing a stop-off point for trading ships. They are quite a poor country, but have been getting richer lately.

Three hundred years ago, none of their current land was home to a single Siemieniakowszczyznan: the northern archipelago was part of Tooitanni, the northern coast was part of Layfuld, and the rest belonged to Puntz.
Old Siemieniakowszczyzna consisted of most of the southern half of Farria.
You may guess what happened next. The Norgalians came to take over all of Farria, and the Siemieniakowszczyznans fled. Fortunately their generous western neighbors took the surviving Siemieniakowszczyznans in, though many perished to the snakes.
A few centuries later, the Siemieniakowszczyznans had forgotten this act of generosity, and did not like the fact that they did not have their own state. So they rebelled and created one, then kicked the non-Siemieniakowszczyznans out.
You can see why their neighbors don't like them.
Recently the relationships have begun to improve, with Nowa Siemieniakowszczyzna apologizing for their behavior, but things are still very tense.
Attachments
cwb7.png

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:09 am UTC

Sorry guys, I would post a country but I'm feeling sick since I got home. I'll try and post soon, probably tomorrow. :(

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:27 am UTC

The Maro Okana People inhabit a stretch of ocean once home to a large chain of islands. "Maro Okana" in the native language means 'Penitent Drifters".

Legend has it that the Maro Okana were a people who come from the sea, originating from Merfolk. It is said that these people lived in the sea, and the sea provided for them greatly. They swam, breathed underwater, and hunted and lived in the depths. But one day they came upon these islands. At first, they simply used the water of the bays and coves for protection and shelter. But then the land started to call to them. The islands enticed them with juicy tropical fruit hanging in abundance off the trees. It banished all large predators so that they would feel safe. The land used birdsong in order to entrance them. The flowers danced for them with vibrant colors. The surface caressed them with the touch of a gentle breeze, and the sky basked them in a warm glow.

Mesmerized by its beauty, the Maro Okana, according to legend, left the sea and came to land. They learned to breathe air. They grew legs. They began to look and act more like land-dwellers did. Of course they retained their connection to the sea. They were on a great archipelago, and their connection to the sea was intimate. They sailed in boats. They fished. They could swim better than anyone, dive and hold their breaths for long periods of time. Their hands and feet were long and had webbing. They lived not feet from the ocean. Some might have even called them amphibious.

But they made the land, these islands, their home. They were frequent visitors to the sea, yes, but visitors nonetheless. On land they created houses and roads and villages. They constructed temples to their gods and spirits. They began learning to farm and domesticate animals. On the bigger islands people even began to opt for an earthen burial. The climate was tropical, and the land was beautiful, unspoiled, and full of plenty. It was as if a paradise. Maro Okana legend says that their people lived on the islands for centuries--millennia, even.

Then it ended. According to the legend, and corroborated by other contemporary accounts from nearby locations, one day the ground began to shake. It was a mighty tremor, wreaking havoc across the archipelago. Houses were destroyed. Fires caught onto the debris. Landslides began as mountains crumbled. Parts of the island slid away into the ocean. The tops of the three highest mountains--volcanos--it turned out, began to smoke, spewing forth ash, rock and lava down the mountainsides. People were killed.

Not long after, as the Maro Okana were still contemplating this horror, a great wave swept over the islands. It too, was merciless, destroying everything in its path. Their settlements were flattened. People survived by getting on boats or rafts or clinging to debris. Some tried getting to higher ground. But due to the landslides and the lava flows, there were few recourses. It was complete and utter devastation. Many of the Maro Okana died.

Not long after another mighty earthquake hit. Right before their eyes, the Maro Okana watched as the islands which they had called home for generations slipped away into the sea. Another great wave swept in, finishing off the job. All that remained were three blackened, smoking nubs; what was left of the three highest peaks on the archipelago.

The Maro Okana believed these events to be divine punishment. The goddess of the ocean was Ate O Lahame, (Ah-tey Oh La-hah-mey), or Ate, ruler of the Seas to the Horizons. The god of the earth was Ru. According to the legend, Ate has become angry. She was angry with Ru for enticing away her creatures, the Maro Okana. However, She was even more furious at the Maro Okana themselves, for abandoning her realm, their natural home, and going to live on dry land. With her divine rage, she attacked Ru. She shook the earth, causing his mountains to crumble. She sent a giant wave to eradicate what was left. She killed many Maro Okana as a lesson and the rest she drew back into her realm.

However, the remaining Maro Okana are still to be punished. They are cursed. For while they have been returned to the sea, they still retain the features of earth dwellers. While Ate allowed them to retain some features, mentioned above, that let them interact with the sea with skill, they are still unable to live in it completely.

Thus they are "Maro Okana"--"penitent drifters"--forced to live in-between, floating on top of the sea until the day when Ate chooses to allow them back into her embrace and they can live again beneath the waves. In the aftermath of the destruction of their islands, the Maro Okana constructed from the debris large boats and rafts. As they recovered, and time went on, they made these more sophisticated.

Nowadays the Maro Okana live in what can only be described as floating, nomadic caravans. Their society consists of tribes which live entirely on boats. Small canoes. Giant rafts and houseboats. Workshop boats, cooking boats. Boats on which to keep children when their parents are busy working. Floating shrines to Ate and the ocean spirits. Over time the Maro Okana have constructed special platforms, vast in size on which to grow crops, including aquatic ones. They are excellent fishers.

They obtain many of the things which they otherwise cannot get by trading with passing ships. The Maro Okana believe that Ate has required them to abandon Ru--land--completely. Thus they will absolutely refuse to step on dry land, or even go near it. Maro Okana fleets will turn around the second they spot land on the horizon. They are born and die without ever setting foot on dry land their entire lives, or even seeing it beyond a sliver on the horizon. The only exception is the three stumps which remain of the former mountains. The Maro Okana will not set foot on them, but they have managed to rig up shrines to Ate on each one, symbolic of her triumph over Ru and their attrition.

People from land often regard these sea nomads as odd due to their maritime lifestyle. The Maro Okana say that the Merfolk spur them too, outcasts from the sea and estranged from Ate. It is their greatest hope that they will retain their aquatic features, and once more be welcomed back into the ocean.

Anthropologists and scientists who study the Maro Okana are still not sure to what degree their legends are true. They're fairly certain that an island chain did exist here, and that it did sink into the sea. The Maro Okana probably lived on it. And, yes, they do seem to have aquatic features that make them unique, such as their webbing and swimming abilities. However, they debate whether it's true that they 'evolved' from Merfolk, or if they're just an adapted, particularly terraphobic offshoot of land-dwellers. Some scientists have even suggested a human-merfolk hybridization.

[The map represents the outline of the former islands. The lighter band represents the approximate Maro Okana "territory", although they've been known to often drift outside it.]
Attachments
Colabwb_zzzzz.png

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:48 pm UTC

The In-in-n'erin territory cannot be seen from the sky, the sea or even the ground. Those who travel on the great Wasteland continent so far south will find nothing but hot rocks and desert, which is not surprising when the Sun is so close. The whole environment looks like an uninhabitable place, and no rain ever falls from the sky. But deep underground, the In-in-n'erin have found their precious source of water and protect it with their life. Living around the underground rivers, they have built a mighty empire in the darkness. Their people have long lost the sense of sight, but their smell and hearing are better than that of most animals and monsters in the world. Having almost no competition from the sparsely populated continent, the In-in-n'erin keep growing their territory every day, as long as they have enough water. They need to keep their environment humid for their mushroom farms.

colabwb8.png

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:06 pm UTC

EDIT: Just realised that the colors of these countries are rather similar to each other and the sea; if you feel it's difficult to distinguish them, feel free to alter the colors.

These countries are, from South to North,

South Huttí (officially the Republic of South Huttí)
Huttí (officially the Hutt River Kingdom)
and Puttí. (officially the Putt Peoples' Republic)

Originally, the three countries were part of the great Hutt River Kingdom, centered around the Hutt and Putt rivers. The Hutt River is the main river flowing down to the Southern Ocean; the Putt River is a distributary of the Hutt River, which flows into the Southern Sea. As a result, it's possible to sail up one river to their joining point, and back down the other one, to travel between the two seas; clearly this waterway gets a lot of traffic.

The Kingdom's downfall came with the formation of the Pentaterriad Empire, who wanted to cause the downfall of their powerful rivals. Eventually the Pentaterriads managed to take control of the Putt River, and the Kingdom no longer had control of the whole waterway.

Then came the fall of Dachlis; suddenly the Hutt River Kingdom was swamped with refugees. The poorer, southern, areas of the Kingdom did not like this, and an uprising gave them independence.

Since then, relationships have improved. South Huttí has learnt lessons from their neighbors in Timitania, and is nicer and more accepting towards foreigners now. The rump Hutt River Kingdom stopped mourning their losses, and tried to rebuild relations with South Huttí and Puttí. As for Puttí? They eventually got their independence from the Pentaterrids. But now they had developed their own unique identity and did not want to reunite with their old cousins.

Even though things have never returned to the glory of the good old days, the three sister states are now on good terms with each other, and make decent profits from their control of the Hutt-Putt waterway.
Attachments
xkmap.png

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:01 am UTC

The Order of Fellows of Dzida and the Society of Sint Padraig (known elsewise as the Dzidic Knights or, more humorously, the Armed Knights) are a military order headquartered on a peninsula near the eastern pass into the Central Sea. Protecting this pass, and the people who utilize it, is core to the central mission of the Dzidic Knights.

The Order was formed as a military organization in response to an unprecedented rise in piracy and aggression from outsiders, both of which threatened the trade and security of the people and nations which populated the region. While it was originally commissioned by a handful of countries, the Order has now expanded to protecting a wide number of nations, largely those near to the Central Sea. They take recruits from all over the world. Most are from the nearby client locations. However, the most exotic of recruits make up the famed Legion of the Horizons, whose members have brought to the Dzidic Order a myriad of strange knowledge and skills. As an entirety, the Knights are a highly trained, highly disciplined order skilled at fighting on both sea and land.

Over time, the Dzidic Order's influence and power led it to grow from simply a chartered corporation to an international sovereign entity. To assist them with their mission, and to repay them for their efforts, the Order was granted a swath of territory along the coastline flanking the eastern pass (which was frankly becoming hard for anyone else to defend, anyways). On this land the Order built a number of great fortifications and grand castles. It contains land for farming, yards for shipbuilding for the Dzidic Fleet, and villages for the craftsmen required to keep the Knights fully armored, fully armed, and fully supplied. Institutions have set up to study the magic and technology of warfare and the related arts, in order to improve upon them and stengthen them. Their infrastructure is truly remarkable. Some of the land is set aside to be granted to high-ranking members for their own estates. The Dzidic Knights will also take up posts in other parts of the world but this is their sovereign land and main headquarters. The Eastern Pass is the most important point for defense, and so its protection is their most vital of missions.

While their detractors dismiss them as simple mercenaries, the Knights balk at this description. While, yes, they are paid by their Client Countries for their defensive services, they see their work as a moral mission. It is their duty to protect these lands from outlaws and vicious outsiders. The outsiders couldn't simply buy them over with more gold. The majority of the members are citizens of the Client Countries who have joined up not only for the benefits but also out of a sense of duty to protect their home nations. Their missions are important to them. It is their sacred honor to fulfill them. Many Knights, especially those of the Society of Sint Padraig, see themselves as more... proactive counterparts to peaceful orders like the brothers of Sint Eustastius'. Some Knights, particularly of Sint Padraig, actually opt to hang up their swords and go to join SEMER upon their retirement.

The Society of Sint Padraig is a special subset of the Dzidic Knights specifically open to those who venerate the Saint. The Knights of the Society are mostly focused on one specific foe: the Norgic. As mentioned in that nation's description, the Norgic are very violent to outsiders, especially those who don't embrace their religion. They were apt to raid and loot nearby kingdoms, especially when those nations did not meet demands such as favorable trade deals, making them one of the greatest threats to nearby nations. According to his legend, Sint Padraig was a shepherd turned epic hero. It is said that Sint Padraig led a mighty effort against the snakes, driving them from his lands. His work is carried on through the Knights of the Society, which have vowed to keep the Norgic from intimidating this land again. The Society's most famous monument is Corrogh Cathedral, built on a dramatic cliff; the site where Padraig is said to have started physically hurtling Norgic into the ocean.

It is to the members of the Society that the moniker "The Armed Knights" is applied, a pun relating to the noted lack of limbs amongst their opponents.
Attachments
Colabwb_zzzzz.png

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:50 am UTC

To celebrate coming back to activity after illness, I have composed a timeline that I think roughly fits the world so far. I'm also adding time, so if anyone disagrees with the year we're in now, say so. Also, anyone feel free to add to this too!

Before Time:
- The Age of Dawning begins, this is the world's first Great Changing. Things are very different, as beings that lived during the Age of Dawning did not organize into civilizations. They were more at peace with spirituality and the nature around them, allowing them to forever live in happiness. During this Age many beings that don't even look like actual animals lived. One still exists today...

-The Age of Dawning ends, the world's second (and final) Great Changing. The Age of Dawning did not go out easily, and many still wonder how it ended today. Some speculate an evil came into the world, that ended up killing off the beings because they had no idea how to hate or even make weapons. The Tree of Yggdrasil, though, survived these dark times and lives on to this day. The rational people that exist today will never understand that Yggdrasil is a living, thinking being.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0- During this year, the remnants of Dawning still exist, and are converted into the many races we know today. The Portal also sparks to life, quietly.

347- The first tribes and civilizations appear during this time.

459- The Land of D'achlis' Golden age begins and ends, almost spanning the entire year. Xcrysts start pouring out and demolishing the magical nation.

490- Great Mage Arkitus and Sorcerer Master Faroni fight in the largest display of magic ever seen, creating the bottomless fissure and the dead woods that surround it. The magic even seeped into the land, letting the dead live again even today.

491- The Great Dragon Naya is born

653- The Maro Okana learn to live on land.

772- This is the time of the Shárizaa's greatest expanse and golden age. What they desire, luxury of the highest kind, can only be obtained through Fairies and Fairy dust. This desire started the decline of Fairy population, and Fairies quickly lost their powers and hope.

787- The Great Dragon Naya starts raiding Shárizaa.

799- The Shárizaa fell very quickly from this point on. No one quite understands why, but their lack of focus on defense probably led to it.

802- Civilization appears in the Far North in the form of tribes.

850- The Maro Okana are devastated by the giant wave and are drawn back into the sea-realm.

897- Norgulia starts raiding the Central Continent.

930- A great migration occurs bringing many settlers to the North Continent

1033- Old DAXSEW colonizes (more like pillages and forcefully takes) some land from the north part of the central continent.

1092- New DAXSEW breaks free after a succession war with Old DAXSEW

1122- South Ortharey secedes from Ortharoi.

1350- Today

Man, a Fantasy Countries on this world would be great!

I'll have a country up later so I don't double post

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:04 am UTC

Good job KingTip! I was also thinking we need some more original names for the continents and seas, not just because 'Northern Ocean' sucks but also because the names keep changing.

I would give names but they would just be typical fantasy names that don't make sense in this world, maybe someone can think about names that would fit the countries on the continent and around the seas.

Return to “Forum Games”