Collaborative World-Building

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Djehutynakht

Re: Collaborative World-Building

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:54 am UTC

That timeline looks great. I'll probably start looking over it myself, but will probably want to make a few changes, such as the timeline... 1350 years seems kinda short and rapid for development, comparing, for instance, to that of Earth, with human culture going back tens of thousands of years.

Maybe we can ask people currently playing to add on anything significant from their own countries, and we'll try to infer for everyone who's no longer here.

Making a timeline was a genius idea to add a bit more depth to the world. Thanks Tip!

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:35 am UTC

I sort of just took a quick reading through all of the thread and wrote down the important historical events people had mentioned throughout their posts. The timing does seem a little weird. Everyone is free to expand and change the timeline. I think a giant timeline with all kinds of different events on it would be so cool. It would also be awesome to find out that the beginning of your nation 'so and so' started the same years as 'other country'. You know, stuff like that.

Jolintaria was named by the Nomadic Peoples of Karulia, meaning 'Land of Giants'. In Jolintaria, life as we know it bends a little. Many people question whether the things that live in Jolintaria are alive at all, or simply going through the motions.

The things that live in Jolintaria are giant stone golems. They all stand at a tall height of 13 feet. A sort of purple energy flows within them called 'Galuntyr' which flows very freely through this continent. Many believe the Galuntyr give the golems life. When the nomads first passed through they land, they set up camp for a while. The nomads had earned a reputation to be able to manipulate the Galuntyr to their liking, which also brings the legend that the nomads of Karulia gave life to the stone cliffs, making golems.

The nomads have not been in the land of giants for many years, the golems wonder if they will ever come back or if they even still exist...

The golems had a half-hive mind. They could have free will, but also be able to fully understand all other golems and their needs. This leads to there being no government in Jolintaria. The golems just go about their business, which is not much. The life of the golems are mostly filled with walking. Walking around within their land seems to please the golems very much, for no apparent reason. When something important does happen, the golems mobilize very fast. If a golem falls off a cliff, nearby golems come rushing to aide their weak. Golems do not build homes, for they are immune to all weather, they are their own shelter. There is a long running myth that the golem skin is unbreakable rock, which has discouraged outsiders from waging war on Jolintaria.

(also fixed Farria to be more crisp)
Attachments
Colabwb_aaaaa.png
I'm baaaaaaaaack! ( <- sort of ironic cause I left for a little bit, but I might be back...)

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.
Believe in a smiling god.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:05 pm UTC

That timeline is pretty neat, KingTip! It's always good to have some sort of basic reference like that. Although, obviously, it isn't too conclusive (for example, I think Virga's earthquake should fit on there sometime).

Krätoftys is a nation entirely populated by peaceful, large creatures, built to withstand extreme cold. They have thick wool that entirely obscures their figure, and almost their entire face. They populate the nearby parts of the icy ring nearly as heavily as they do the non-ice settlements, really showing off their resistance.

Krätoftysers are biologically just not built for competition. This is because they only need snow and fish meat to survive. The snow is obviously easy to get to, considering the general weather around these parts. The fish are less obviously plentiful around their lands as well, due to the nature of the conarra, a genus of fish which lays eggs containing ridiculous amounts of children due to how inept they are. On average, a conarra may spawn 1,000 to 8,000 babies, depending on the species, but only about 0.4% of those will live to breeding age. Many of these end up swimming too far south and basically freezing to death. These dead conarra wash up on the shore of Kräftofys, and provide food to any citizens around. Since resources were always abundant, hardly any Krätofysers ever needed to fight over anything, even before the Age of Dawnings when they weren't actually the same species. So, they remained peaceful.

Due to this lack of competition, their civilization is entirely unstructured - there is no police, or prison, or a judicial system of any kind, because crimes just don't happen. Government only exists at a local level, but despite this independence, nearly all Krätoftysers say they are nationally Krätofyser, and not just their own community.

Trading with the land to the south through the Gateway of Janus is common, although usually done through classic bartering.

xkcd 49.png

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:48 pm UTC

The reason the land around my countries in the north is gray is because I had assumed water would freeze there, or is there going to be water there?

The Dictatorship of Nilurad has existed for many years, dating back to before the fall of Sharizaa.

Nilurad was formed by a large group of peasants, fleeing from their decaying empire. They embarked on an unknown path an landed not too far south, on what they named the island of Nilurad. There were natives of a species that they had never seen: Large, green humanoids with long sabreteeth. However, these natives were very primitive, and only really understood how to use and make tools. After a while, the settlers started treating them less and less like a race, and more and more like a wild animal. This mindset brought forth the government still in power today. Dictator Nathan the First established the official country and persecuted what they called, the 'Green Men'. The Green Men were first either hung or burned, but executions stopped soon after the real physical strength of Green Men was understood. Instead, they were used as workhorses, they plowed the fields and tended the crops. They did all the manual labor on the island, while the Niluradians lived in luxury. This brought forth advancements in other areas, like technology. Nilurad was years ahead of other nations in terms of technology. Not only was technology steeply increasing, but culture was also being developed. It was like a mini-Renaissance. But as our own renaissance, it eventually ended due to conflicting beliefs.

The end of Nilurad's golden age came when a group of citizens founded a group called to GMRA, or the Green Man Rights Association. The group grew to almost half of the population. The conflict never became bloody (yet), but it soon expanded past just Green Men rights. The country had split between two completely different idea groups, one wanting the old forward-thinking easy life, the other wanting fairness and political freedom. This brought upon the time known as the 'Poster Wars' where exports started decreasing from the island. Each side was trying to convince more people to join their side. Posters were littered everywhere. Inside people's homes, outside too. On trees, carriages, even people wearing political hats and shirts, shoes and pants. Graffiti came with the posters. Each side graffiti-ed the other.

Then the government took violent action. All exports and imports stopped immediately. They would not only arrest (and beat if necessary) protesters or graffiti artists who graffiti-ed the government's posters. The government paid graffiti artists to graffiti the other side. They announced that they would starve the entire population if the protests did not stop. Along with the imports being stopped, all crop fields were burned. All cattle stolen. The government ordered a blockade on themselves. Then they sent out secret ships. They smuggled in secret food for their supporters.

Eventually, the protesters gave up for the good of all of the citizens (Still believing even the other side was being starved.)

That was almost a hundred years ago, and today Nilurad is starting to gain power again, crops growing back, trade flourishing. Maybe they will enter another golden age? Maybe they will fall once again into turmoil...
Attachments
xkcd 50.png
I'm baaaaaaaaack! ( <- sort of ironic cause I left for a little bit, but I might be back...)

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

username5243

Postby username5243 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:17 pm UTC

I don't have a country, but I would love it if someone made a game where we each played different countries from this thread.

My idea was that someone would mod the game, and players could sign up and play for whatever country they wanted, with the mod controling everyone else. I doubt there would be enough players for every country in this thread, though...
This is a signature, in case you didn't notice.

Current tokens: 66.562

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:11 am UTC

username5243 wrote:I don't have a country, but I would love it if someone made a game where we each played different countries from this thread.

My idea was that someone would mod the game, and players could sign up and play for whatever country they wanted, with the mod controling everyone else. I doubt there would be enough players for every country in this thread, though...

yeah we've suggested this a few times now, I think it would be like fantasy countries if we did it.

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:11 am UTC

Would anyone here object to me adding on our southern border?

I was thinking of basically a classic edge of the world--a giant waterfall, as well as cliffs along the edge of the southern continent.

It would be a bit tricky however because we don't know where the southern continent ends. Maybe keep part of the map blank?

Also not entirely sure how to represent a waterfall...

Will come back with an actual country tomorrow.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:15 am UTC

Well sure, waterfalls and cliffs sound cool to me, but just keep in mind that about three people agreed that the world is donut-shaped. So it can't literally be the edge, but it can be the end of the world for all practical purposes.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:44 am UTC

Lawrencelot wrote:Well sure, waterfalls and cliffs sound cool to me, but just keep in mind that about three people agreed that the world is donut-shaped. So it can't literally be the edge, but it can be the end of the world for all practical purposes.

Oh I know that. I meant "the edge of the world" as in the edge of the "central" segment. At the bottom of said waterfalls/cliffs would start the "southern" segment of the world. A southern counterpart to the northern ring, to speak.

I'm not sure quite how the physics work on this proposal (why isn't the central ocean drained and the southern flooded? Maybe the north is a bit higher and flows water to the central underneath the mountains? But then where does the north get...) but considering the weird physics already supposed to be associated with weird doughnut-shaped worlds and our flair for the magical and strange in our created lands, I've somewhat gone beyond caring about such matters.

patzer

Postby patzer » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:52 pm UTC

The waterfall idea sounds good.

How about we say that every "segment" is, on average, much lower than the segment to its north, and much higher than the segment to its south. The Central segment's water would be supplied from the Northern oceans and ice sheet; the southern segment's water would be supplied from the Central oceans, et cetera. The total number of segments is large but finite, so water will eventually flow down all around the world. A bit like the famous ever-descending-staircase artwork.

Not sure we need to create another segment yet, though: there are still large parts of the existing segments that need completing.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:44 pm UTC

The properties of the image seem to be a bit messed up. This is most notable when I try to use the bucket "fill all" selection on MS paint on the white space-- blotches come up instead of a clean fill. Anyone have any idea why?

Also, I'm not suggesting we go at the new southern segment head-on. I just had an idea for the next ring (and something that lives there). But I think I'll hold off for a while, since the ultimate shape of the southern continent is still pretty uncertain. Till then...

...Never have I seen a land more abundant in things of beauty. Modest houses carry the airs of palaces... Even decrepit shacks along the road carry with them some sort of rustic charm. For when it goes to shambles, it does so in style. And there's always bound to be some blooming wildflower nearby to compliment the scene. Verily, this entire country is in bloom! Flowers, trees, bushes, vines, and more. Verdant greens comprise a backdrop to blooms of a myriad of color and design. Planted in the ground and in pots. In the streets and in courtyards. On balconies, terraces, rooftops and parks. Sometimes manicured to perfection and sometimes guided to look wild and untamed. They tell me that gardening is an art form here. I am inclined to believe them, knowing their expertise in art. What they've created and collected rivals mother nature in beauty...

...Meals are also another sacred art form. The meal is considered an important feature of the day. Even the most basic of fares must be a delight to the palate. Food is to be enjoyed. And the mealtime itself is reserved to be a thing of leisure. In the heat of midday families will gather in their courtyards to bask in the shade, enjoying statuary or perhaps dipping their feet into a fountain as they take their lunches. Nobody hurries back to resume whatever it is they left off...

...Truly they love art. The plant, the food, the prose, poetry, song, sculpture and painting. To create a thing of beauty is considered to be of great praise. And yet, it is so common. This place thrives on all things beautiful. It craves the pleasure. It almost hordes works of art, produced by themselves or collected from abroad. Art is special, yet woven into the daily fabric of life here. It is unique, and yet omnipresent. Every house makes room for it, and one would be inclined to say after years that this entire nation is some kind of coordinated art piece itself. A living gallery...

...It seems almost greedy that they should keep this paradise only to themselves. I admit, I'm jealous of their prosperity. How did one country manage to seize all this splendor? Who allowed so much of the world's culture to be pushed into one nook in the mountains? I'm tempted to try to apply for citizenship, but, alas, I think I'll simply have to take in as much as I can while I'm here and hope one day I'll be allowed to return. Even amidst all of this luxury, they are still alert to the outside world. Perhaps they are wise to be so cautious about guarding such a place as valuable as this one...

-Fragments of a letter from Johan Barazzo to his cousin, Izigo.

Citta Del Prospero is an abundantly rich and prosperous city state situated along the northern coast of the Wild Continent. The City and the surrounding countryside are encircled on most sides by the Mons Tutori, also known as "the Sentries", Prospero was founded by a group of settlers seeking escape from the main continent. Expecting to land on harsh and wild expanses they had heard in accounts of the South, the Prosperans were surprised and delighted when they came upon this small enclave pocketed along the shore. Isolated from the rest of the continent, this new land was beautiful and bountiful. It had a temperate (Mediterranean) climate, lush flora, abundant fauna, fertile soil and clear water. The settlers immediately began building their new country, led by a man known as Duke Sereno. The Sereni Dynasty continues to rule Prospero today, along with a Senate. The current regent is Duke Sereno VII.

Not long after arriving, the Prospero discovered that another people had inhabited this enclave before them. They discovered the ruins of temples, stadiums, underground vaults, and other structures dotted along the countryside. Their language has not yet been deciphered. However, the ruins found would strongly influence Prospero architecture. Today, every once in a while, a new ruin will be found. Studying these ancient people has long been a pastime of many in the country. They're divided between an intense love of the lingering mystery over the land and a passionate desire to solve it. These ancient people are known in Prospero as the Astenersi.

For many generations, Citta Del Prospero has been a place of wealth and luxury. This small nation is exceedingly rich. No foreigner is quite sure what the source of the country's wealth is. Many speculate that the Mons Tutori contain vast mineral and gold deposits. Prospero merchants are known to trade a wide variety of goods, including precious metals, but much of what they trade are things acquired themselves through trade. While the nation's source of wealth may be a mystery, how they spend it certainly is not...

Prospero is a society devoted to art and culture. Their nation is practically a monument to fine thought. Throughout both city and countryside one can find fine architecture, statuary, paintings, mosaics and murals. Rich gardens spread across the countryside and parks dot the city. Leisure is devoted to reading literature, attending concerts, or participating in many festivals, flashing with color as dancers parade through the streets and the aroma of a myriad of food wafts through the streets. Prospero produces art and culture, and its merchants abroad are preoccupied with finding the best of it from foreign lands to bring back to the country. As the letter above describes, this makes Prospero an exceedingly beautiful, educated and exciting place. The central city itself, situated by the bay, is famous for its shimmering canals and cheery boatsmen that navigate them.

Despite this relaxed, luxurious lifestyle, the government of Prospero is very alert with regards to outsiders. Although initially tucked away on the Wild Continent away from prying eyes, it's mercantile activities soon made it known to the world, and its reputation for luxury soon spread. With the mountain range enclosing this enclave by land, the Sentries, blocks out any threat from the untamed wilds that inhabit the continent, it is to the sea that Prospero is most concerned. As its reputation spread the leaders of the City feared attention from nearby trading empires which might seek to conquer, extort, or manipulate the city-state in order to acquire it's wealth. In addition, the regular raiders and pirates of the area also posed a threat. Thus Prospero unwillingly diverted some of its resources away from their culture in order to give the nation a first rate Navy, committed to protecting the harbor and nearby waters.

In addition, in order to curb the influence of foreign spies or agents, the Senate of Prospero decided to follow the example of the Islandians and enact the defining portion of their foreign policy: The Hundred Law. Under this law, no more than 100 foreigners are allowed within Prospero at any given time, with an exception for the merchants and diplomats visiting Port Prospero, a specially designated portion of the city devoted to international trade. Foreigners also do not count towards the 100-person maximum if they have been granted Citizenship, or are designated a Perpetually Welcome Visitor by the Duke.
Attachments
Colabwb_zzzzz.png

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:07 pm UTC

ÏᎥsceryl is a small nation, and proclaims itself the First Defender of the Ꮤall. It has a rather harsh climate, with hot rainforest conditions in the south giving way to savannah in the north.
ÏᎥsceryl is rather isolated from the outside world; its people are very short (on average 1 meter tall), which causes some awkwardness in interactions with outsiders. In addition, its climate is very difficult for those unaccustomed to it. However, it's not uncommon to see overland traders pass through the country.

the Ꮤall is an ancient structure that keeps the hellish climate of the east at bay. Traditional ÏᎥsceryli legend holds that a giant Empire known as Dymalia once existed, ruling the entire continent, and all were happy. But its people grew too greedy, taking too much from Mother Nature; Mother Nature lashed back, causing much of the Continent to become uninhabitable. The final action of the Dymalian Empire was to build the great Ꮤall to keep out Mother Nature, to defend its remaining citizens in the West, where Mother Nature had not yet reached to begin her rampage. Thirteen Defenders of the Ꮤall were appointed, to ensure that it would remain a safe and secure barrier forever.

How much of this story is true is not known; some have postulated that the legendary Dymalians are the same people as the ancient Astenersi civilization.
Attachments
cwb.png
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:34 am UTC

patzer wrote:The waterfall idea sounds good.

How about we say that every "segment" is, on average, much lower than the segment to its north, and much higher than the segment to its south. The Central segment's water would be supplied from the Northern oceans and ice sheet; the southern segment's water would be supplied from the Central oceans, et cetera. The total number of segments is large but finite, so water will eventually flow down all around the world. A bit like the famous ever-descending-staircase artwork.

Not sure we need to create another segment yet, though: there are still large parts of the existing segments that need completing.

I like the 'each segment is lower than the segment to its north' idea.

Also, I'm not suggesting we go at the new southern segment head-on. I just had an idea for the next ring (and something that lives there). But I think I'll hold off for a while, since the ultimate shape of the southern continent is still pretty uncertain. Till then...

I had the following idea for the world, please tell me if it will conflict your idea:

Proposal for the sun(s)
The donut world has multiple suns that warm the outside of the donut (in this case, the donut has to rotate along its own axis, like from the inside out, not sure if that's possible but right now it doesn't look like the hole of the donut has a sun because then the east would be warmer than the west for example). The suns stay more or less in the same place, unless the donut also rotates like a rolling coin then the suns rotate just as fast. Since we have seasons, the suns do not stay exactly in the same place but there is some variation. The continents where we started are located near a sun, and the place directly below this sun is either on the Wild Continent or even further south. The Ice World in the north is the farthest away from the sun, and north of this world there will be a 'moderate' world again, where we can start building after the current two worlds are filled up. What do you guys think?

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:09 pm UTC

KingTip wrote:The reason the land around my countries in the north is gray is because I had assumed water would freeze there, or is there going to be water there?

I personally had an ice world in mind north of the North Ring. But we can fix this:

Olven is a series of underwater and land volcanoes north of the Gateway of Janus. The magma below the volcanoes causes the ice on the surface to melt, which is the reason the Muddy Sea actually exists in a world of ice and snow. It's been more than a 1000 years since the last eruption of any of the volcanoes, but some of them are still active. When Juton, the largest volcano, erupts, the prophecy says that the world will turn back to the way it was in the Age of Dawning.
Several creatures inhabit the volcano islands, but none of them can be considered intelligent. An exception are the fish-like creatures living around the underwater volcanoes, the Mördoftys, who have built a small underwater society harnessing the geothermal energy and breeding conarra fish. The Mördoftys are sometimes eaten by mistake by the Krätoftys, because they look similar to fish, and for this reason the Mördoftys are always attacking any Krätoftys who try to swim or sail across the sea.

colabwb4.png

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:46 pm UTC

Ankhule is an island state (purple) located in the Northern Ocean. Once home to many scattered, warring, clans, the island eventually united under one leader. This obviously put the island in a very powerful position, for it did not have to worry about land defences any more; instead, it could focus on the sea. Over the centuries Ankhule build up a vast Empire due to its supremacy on the waves, and the Ankhulish Empire was at one point one of the most powerful states in the world.
But the people it ruled eventually did not take too kindly to being ruled by a harsh foreign nation, and began to rebel. Other nations began to catch up with Ankhule's naval capacity. Eventually, Ankhule lost all of its former Empire and was relegated to being a relatively minor state once more; however, her cultural legacy lives on in her former colonies, many of whom still speak the Ankhulish Language.

Yurree (brown) is a vast, but poor, state; a former Ankhulish colony. The land was once ruled by many different nations, but eventually Ankhule conquered them all. When the Ankhulish were finally kicked out, the different peoples of the Yurree land had been together for so long that they decided to stick together despite their differences.
Yurree, despite its size, is not very powerful: its wealth had long been pilfered by the Ankhulish, leaving nothing behind for the native people.

cwb.png

And here's the map when the wraparound point is moved to the other side of the map (so we can get a different perspective)

cwb2.png

Note the vast discrepancy between the parts of that huge island snake nation (the borders and even colors don't line up!). We should try to avoid things like this in future.

I propose that we use this second map for a while, to get used to different perspectives.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:54 am UTC

I'm not sure if I'm up for using this particular second perspective, as it cuts two major continents in half, which is...annoying (I don't mind Tip's snake nation being bisected, because that was his intention in drawing the map). '

At the very least, the center continent (main map) should be whole, if not the Southern Wilds.

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:27 pm UTC

I suppose so. Maybe a better bisection would be to go through Sicanta, Cyrusia, and Turaryark. This would avoid bisection of the major continents, and only splits three countries.

I prefer having some alternate biscetion, just so that when we begin creating more countries like the snake one in the border region, they look more natural. Having to create more countries crossing the map edge would be awkward, and the borders probably wouldn't look as good.

proposed map.
Attachments
cwb2.png

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:09 pm UTC

Únther is a hidden kingdom located between The Orthatroi Empire and Yurree. Surrounded by mountains on all sides, the kings and queens of Únther have not had contact with the outside world for thousands of years. It is rumoured that the country is abundant in gems and gold, and that even the lowest subjects are richer than most princes of the rest of the world. However, years and centuries of working in the mines were required to gather these riches, causing all current Únthers to be ugly hunchbacks half the size of humans. Many think that such creatures should not be allowed such an amazing wealth, but the only entrance to the country lies to the North, at a mountain pass guarded by worm-like creatures that attack silently from between the rocks. It is likely that the kingdom will stand for another 1000 years.

colabwb5.png

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:13 am UTC

Estaly is a country of two halves. The western half, the coastline, is quite civilized, though exotic, and in fact the central peninsula is a well-used stopping-off point for sailors. However, go east of the central mountain range, the Brown Mountains, and you will find lawlessness and a much harsher climate. Thus it is rare for travellers to stray too far east of the mountains.
Attachments
conf2.png

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:48 pm UTC

Íit Núnthráapalopiik, which just means 'the North' in the local language, is a large and sparsely populated coastal country connected to the Edge of the World. A beautiful country, with nice rivers, lakes and fjords, but almost uninhabitable because of the extreme cold, freezing all the water and causing migrating birds and some moss to be the only signs of life. In summer, some of the waters melt, enabling the few human settlements to freeze in the fish and birds they catch. The northern part of the country is known to be abundant in magic, and all kinds of rumours surround the place. Near the northern border, the cold becomes too intense for any human to live for more than a few seconds with the warmest clothes, although some have tried to reach the Edge in expeditions, for religious reasons or just out of curiosity. None have ever returned.

colabwb6.png

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:16 am UTC

So I made a labelled map again, this time in photoshop so I can easily adapt it later. I also made up some names for the continents and seas, let me know if you want to change any as it is no big trouble. The old continent is named in honour of Adam H.

Labelled map:
Spoiler:

Timeline (originally by KingTip, feel free to expand and change):
Spoiler:
Before Time:
- The Age of Dawning begins, this is the world's first Great Changing. Things are very different, as beings that lived during the Age of Dawning did not organize into civilizations. They were more at peace with spirituality and the nature around them, allowing them to forever live in happiness. During this Age many beings that don't even look like actual animals lived. One still exists today...

-The Age of Dawning ends, the world's second (and final) Great Changing. The Age of Dawning did not go out easily, and many still wonder how it ended today. Some speculate an evil came into the world, that ended up killing off the beings because they had no idea how to hate or even make weapons. The Tree of Yggdrasil, though, survived these dark times and lives on to this day. The rational people that exist today will never understand that Yggdrasil is a living, thinking being.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0- During this year, the remnants of Dawning still exist, and are converted into the many races we know today. The Portal also sparks to life, quietly.

347- The first tribes and civilizations appear during this time.

459- The Land of D'achlis' Golden age begins and ends, almost spanning the entire year. Xcrysts start pouring out and demolishing the magical nation.

490- Great Mage Arkitus and Sorcerer Master Faroni fight in the largest display of magic ever seen, creating the bottomless fissure and the dead woods that surround it. The magic even seeped into the land, letting the dead live again even today.

491- The Great Dragon Naya is born

653- The Maro Okana learn to live on land.

772- This is the time of the Shárizaa's greatest expanse and golden age. What they desire, luxury of the highest kind, can only be obtained through Fairies and Fairy dust. This desire started the decline of Fairy population, and Fairies quickly lost their powers and hope.

787- The Great Dragon Naya starts raiding Shárizaa.

799- The Shárizaa fell very quickly from this point on. No one quite understands why, but their lack of focus on defense probably led to it.

802- Civilization appears in the Far North in the form of tribes.

850- The Maro Okana are devastated by the giant wave and are drawn back into the sea-realm.

897- Norgulia starts raiding the Central Continent.

930- A great migration occurs bringing many settlers to the North Continent

1033- Old DAXSEW colonizes (more like pillages and forcefully takes) some land from the north part of the central continent.

1092- New DAXSEW breaks free after a succession war with Old DAXSEW

1122- South Ortharey secedes from Ortharoi.

1350- Today
Last edited by Lawrencelot on Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:24 am UTC

Wow, thanks for doing that! :D

The labeled map is beautiful.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:37 am UTC

The Serpentine Mountains, also known as the Forbidden Mountains, is a mountain range infested with snakes. Further west, in the Ingramid Empire, the snakes are mostly tiny and harmless, but as you go east the snakes steadily grow bigger, more intelligent, and more venomous. (At the very eastern end of the mountain range, the snakes are so intelligent that they've decided not to attack people, and have in fact built a civilisation known as Ałendielle, but the people do not know this)

In the part of the mountain range known as the Serpentine Mountains, the conditions are so dangerous that few people who enter exit alive, so any sensible person will stay well clear of the area.

Veislana is a small nation in the cultural region known as East Weiddland. While it's relatively unimportant in comparison to its more prosperous neighbor, the Ingramid Empire, it receives a lot of traders, for Veislana is the furthest-east spot that one can safely cross the mountain range. Its people tend to live in small villages on the mountainside, and are adept at hunting snakes.
Attachments
cwb3.png

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:30 am UTC

Hey patzer you mentioned Farria somewhere before. From my understanding now, Norgulia, Alendielle and Nova Siemnikajzowezkjksdaaksza are part of Farria, but at the moment they seem to be on three different continents. Do you know which part of the world should be called Farria?

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:38 am UTC

Lawrencelot wrote:Hey patzer you mentioned Farria somewhere before. From my understanding now, Norgulia, Alendielle and Nova Siemnikajzowezkjksdaaksza are part of Farria, but at the moment they seem to be on three different continents. Do you know which part of the world should be called Farria?

As far as I understand it:

Farria is that giant blue island/mini-continent that is controlled entirely by Norgulia.

It used to be under the control of several nations, including Siemieniakowszczyzna and Ałendielle, but then Norgulia took over the whole landmass and the other nations fled.

p.s. you forgot to include The Portal on your labelled map :wink:

Also, "Southern Sea" seems like quite a misnomer, plus it can easily be confused with the Southern Ocean.
Maybe that sea should be called the "Pentaterriad Sea", or something like that?

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:48 pm UTC

Ah okay, I understand now.

Will add the Portal back later. I used the term Southern Sea because someone called it that, but it was one of the countries north of that sea. Pentaterriad Sea sounds good to me.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:12 pm UTC

Far, far away from civilization, surrounded by a world of ice, the Sky Forest of Life and Restoration is a safe haven for those lost in the frozen desert north of the Ring. It is called the Sky Forest because the trees are abnormally tall, the tallest almost as high as the highest peak of the Northern Ring. Trees don't normally grow north of the Ring, due to a lack of liquid water and sunlight, but the Sky Forest presumably follows the flow of magic, making sunlight not necessary, and its roots grow deep below the ice. It is told that anyone who drinks the juice from the trees is restored in strength and spirit.

The Sky Forest is older than any of the lands in the south. It witnessed the melting of the Great Ice, forming the center world and its oceans. In the treetops of the forest, an ancient tribe named the Huahregh supposedly still lives a peaceful life, connected with nature and overseeing all of the Great Ice, staying warm by using the magic that flows through the trees. Though not as old as the forest itself, the tribe has figured out how to connect with the trees and see into their memories, giving them knowledge about all secrets of the world. But not a single Huahregh has ever managed to get to the ground (though some have fallen down and died), and no one has ever climbed any of the great trees, and so the secrets will remain secrets for anyone but the Huahregh.

colabwb7.png

Instructions for new players:
Spoiler:
-Look for a spot in the latest map to add your country
-Check the names of surrounding countries in the labelled map, and skim their descriptions.
-Create your country by adding it to the image and writing a description.

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:16 am UTC

Leah's Land is a nation whose residents invariably follow the Cult of Leah. "Leah" is a ceremonial title given to whoever is leading the country at that time, and all residents worship the Leah and follow her every word. Traditionally, the Leah is always female, always treats her citizens well, and always names her successor as being the person who has made the largest financial contributions to the nation; there is no other restriction on being a Leah, so many wealthy foreign nobles have donated a great amount of money to the country in the hope that they will be crowned the next Leah.
Attachments
cwb4.png

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:46 am UTC

Great news! I've made this game a playable map for the game atwar (free to play, risk-like game, has a tutorial). Yes, I had a lot of spare time this weekend. If you click on MAPS on their website and search for XKCD you will find the map. The countries have some features as described in this thread, such as flying elves and sentient monsters / plants, as long as it was possible to implement in the game of course. I've started a casual game here: http://atwar-game.com/games/?link=4563832439. You can see it if you make an account. It has 48 hour deadlines.

colabwbATWAR2.png

I'll send a pm to all collaborators of this thread to see if they want to play, but anyone is welcome to join!

patzer

Postby patzer » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:05 pm UTC

Interesting. I haven't played many games like this before, but will have a go.

only issue is, not all of the map seems to be showing?
Attachments
image.jpg

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:17 pm UTC

They just switched to a new implementation of the game, using HTML5. It's still a bit buggy but usually if you scroll around a bit it doesn't happen anymore. Try exiting and entering if it keeps happening.

patzer

Postby patzer » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:24 pm UTC

Lawrencelot wrote:Try exiting and entering if it keeps happening.

Yes, that worked.

The interface is difficult to use on a tablet computer, so I'll try it again later on my laptop.

Very nice map, by the way.

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:00 am UTC

Joined. Man, you put a lot of effort into this thing, didn't you? You even named every city something that would fit the general aesthetic or culture each country was inspired or based around.

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:08 pm UTC

Come on, orangedragonfire, why would you join the game and immediately become the only person in the entire game to not submit their action for the turn when you had the full opportunity to do so already? You're delaying PROGRESS! :(

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:14 pm UTC

Well, to be fair, I had delayed turn 1 for nearly a day while trying to figure out how the game worked :oops:
maybe orangepinkdragonfire is in a similar situation.

We could always expand the map while we're waiting for the game to continue. Those white holes in the map are just begging to be filled.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:56 am UTC

Yeah, I thought I'd submitted a move but apparently not.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:23 am UTC

I will try to join this game soon. Bit swamped.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:03 pm UTC

Reecer6 wrote:Joined. Man, you put a lot of effort into this thing, didn't you? You even named every city something that would fit the general aesthetic or culture each country was inspired or based around.

I did. Unless there was not much in the description, then I just made something up. It was fun looking at the descriptions, I didn't really read them before while adding my own countries.

patzer wrote:We could always expand the map while we're waiting for the game to continue. Those white holes in the map are just begging to be filled.

I agree. Patzer and I did a lot of countries lately, and though I have many more ideas it might be good to let someone else add a country? Here's the latest map: viewtopic.php?p=3875084#p3875084

Instructions for new players:
Spoiler:
-Look for an empty spot in the latest map to add your country
-(Optional) Check the names of surrounding countries in the labelled map, and skim their descriptions.
-Create your country by adding it to the image and writing a description.

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:40 pm UTC

Alright, I'll continue this map.

Voorber is a very cold nation that monopolizes the entire south end of The Gateway of Janus. Its main export most of the year is coniferous wood, except for the 8 weeks of the year where the Gateway is crossable, whereupon half the GDP is accumulated through expensive equipment, pathfinders, and other things to get traders across the wall.

Voorber is run through an oligarchy of five members, four of which are elected by the citizens every eight years, and one who is a representative of the famous Voor family (commonly a member of the family, but friends of the family have been elected before). It is commonly held that Arend Voor was the first human to cross the gate 450 years ago. Using the vast materials he managed to accrue in the north (exactly how is still disputed), he bought out the entire government of the previous state that owned the land of Voorber and rebuilt it in his name. The Voor family to this day are seen as naturally good travelers, and spend 20% of their income on research for how to cross over even easier (and then sell whatever can at an exorbitant price).

xkcd 52.png

XAXA

Postby XAXA » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:12 pm UTC

How do I post an image here? The [img] is disabled and posting a url results in spam filter.

Return to “Forum Games”