Collaborative World-Building

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Reecer6

Re: Collaborative World-Building

Postby Reecer6 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:42 am UTC

You have to upload it as an attachment. The option should be below the posting field.

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:49 am UTC

Alternatively, you can post in this thread five times to remove the spam filter.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

username5243

Postby username5243 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:50 am UTC

@XAXA: Did you see a "this post needs to be approved by a moderator" message (or whatever it is; I forget the exact phrase) when you hit the submit button?

If so, you can't use the img-tag (probably because it contains .com or http, which hit the spam-filter). You need to have five posts somewhere outside of forum games. The thread patzer linked to should help. Alternatively, find five other things to say on this forum. There's a thread to introduce yourself, a thread to rant, a thread to post about your dreams, et cetera.

If you'd spent two minutes reading the rules, you would know this (it's at the top of every forum and the user control panel).

Or you could post your country and let patzer (or one of the other regulars) do the map, I'm sure they'd do it.
This is a signature, in case you didn't notice.

Current tokens: 66.562

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:09 am UTC

uuuuuUUUUUUUUUGGGH!

I missed turn 6 by less than a minute. I come on, and the turn timer says 47:59:something.

>:(

XAXA

Postby XAXA » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:26 pm UTC

(i.imgur) /04w3aBM.png

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:59 pm UTC

I came up with this one procrastinating on my work and couldn't help posting it.

Scriptoria is a suspiciously quill-shaped island located in a bit of sea fit snugly into one of the crooks of the Great Northern Barrier.

The people who inhabit Scriptoria are short, with large, inquisitive eyes and prominent ears. They have small mouths, and do not talk often. Their dress consists of a simple habit and sandals. The habit is white upon creation. However, over time the robe steadily darkens on account of ink stains, generally black, but often intermingled with splotches of colored ink. The amount of ink stains on a robe are a sign of rank and seniority. An old Scriptorian whose robes are completely blackened is treated with the utmost respect. Due to this, Scriptorians have become experts in recognizing when someone has intentionally stained their robes in order to fake merit.

As may have been inferred, the people of Scriptoria are obsessed with writing. More specifically, they are most concerned with record-keeping and collecting of information. They are compulsive about writing down and archiving absolutely everything. It's not unusual when two Scriptorians are having a rare conversation to see at least one of them mechanically transcribing down the words being said. They also take great care in recording data, transactions, stories, accounts of events and honestly everything that can be possibly thought of. The Scriptorian equivalence of a social class or caste might be the type of information that a certain individual collects. One faction very highly regarded especially by foreigners are the Illuminators, whose manuscripts are elaborately decorated with intricate and brightly-colored designs. Another faction however, sometimes referred to as the Black Bottles, criticizes the Illuminators, saying that they waste precious time that could be used collecting even more information on aesthetic embellishments.

Very quickly it was realized that with the entire nation focused on recording and archiving information they would need to look abroad in order to find new subjects to write about, less they become a meta self-consumed society of people making records about making records of other records. Therefore many Scriptorians will set out on the ships of foreign traders to travel the world, finding volumes of information from distant lands to record and bring back to the island. Others will stay on the island to receive information from foreigners who come to visit, as well as to catalog the massive amounts of information that come back. Scriptorian then, for all their bookish nature, have become somewhat of the ultimate adventurers, meticulously travelling to each remote part of the globe to record as much information about it as possible. Scriptoria does a fair amount of trade. They import vast amounts of paper, parchment, ink, and leather, as well as building materials and other basic supplies, from across the globe. One old legend that Sailors who have made the journey to Scriptoria tell their more junior counterparts is that one knows they are getting close to the island when they hear the sound of thousands of simultaneously scratching quills echoing out from over the horizon.

On Scriptoria, the docks are located on the southern outcropping of the island, the "tip" of the quill. After the port comes the town itself where Scriptorians live and carry out their daily business. Beyond the town are the Archives. The Archives are monumental structures. Each one is a colossus--great rectangles (and a single, grand circular building in the very middle) of Marble, the outside of which features great columns, engraved designs, as well, in true Scriptorian fashion, a great number of inscriptions. They are a sight to be marveled at. Each one contains more information than the entire nation could read in a lifetime, built up over many centuries. All of it is carefully preserved. The interiors are cool, and have been designed so as to eliminate humidity. Visitors to the Archives must wear special masks to prevent them from breathing on the manuscripts. Fire and Water both are strictly forbidden from entering the Archive complex. Naturally luminescent lamps are used to see inside of the great complexes.

Foreign economists have long pondered how Scriptorians are able to fund their archival society, and the construction of the megalithic Archive buildings. Many believe that their funds come from selling information they have collected to people requesting it from all over the world. There is a second theory, proposed by some, that under the Archive Compound is actually a vast subterranean complex filled with silver, gold, or gems, and that the Scriptorians mine these precious resources and sell them-- secretly, so that no warlike nations attempt to conquer the Island, endangering the Archives in their quest to get the treasure. Proponents of this theory also believe the Scriptorians have been transforming the caverns into even more storage space once they have been cleared of any precious valuables. However, these mines still remain to this day a legend.
Attachments
Collabwb.png

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:51 pm UTC

Here is XOXO's map. Scriptoria should be added to this map.

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:13 am UTC

The Skywalk, high up where the air is thin, links the mountaintops of Ałendielle with those of Schenmast. It is a mass of sentient clouds, which, so the story goes, are the ghosts of mountaintops, of the ancient mountain range that was destroyed when Farria appeared. The clouds have apparently learned to make themselves solid, with the consistency of foam, but nobody really knows because clouds can't talk.
It is a place of fairytale, with all sorts of sentient beings living together in giant cloud castles, and even lakes on the clouds. Occasionally a cloud will decide to adventure, drifting far away from the Skywalk on air currents, wandering around the most obscure parts of the world. Few from Schenmast ever visit the Skywalk- nobody knows about it- but a sizeable amount of snakes from Ałendielle have found their home on the Skywalk.
One of the most unusual societies on the Skywalk is Redox, a hive of flying squirrels (all androgynous) that never tend to venture outside their cloud-castle, except that on a squirrel's fifth birthday, he shall take part in a deeply sacred ritual where his children eat his tail and genitals, before he flies down to Norgulia into a snake's mouth, to get eaten and perpetuate the circle of life. Unsurprisingly, many Norgulian snakes congregate below Redox in the hope that a tasty snack will fly down.
Attachments
cwb5.png

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:46 pm UTC

Countries are really feeling the burn of war now! Well, mostly it's just me that's feeling the burn. But at least I get an uncontested Gateway of Janus!

The Archipelagate of Nua'het (or just Nua'het for short) for most of history were a few tribes sequestered to their own singular islands in a small northern area, relative to their current size and borders. Although isolated by ocean, the various tribes kept in close enough contact through trading (exactly the most efficient paths due to wind from one island to any others was well-recorded and common knowledge) that their culture was nearly uniform across. Then, in between 1155 and 1160, what is called the Nua'he Arborian Revolution occurred, wherein the tribes developed an incredibly efficient way to cut down the native trees, the Ghen-wauloz (literally "lightning-wood"). The process exploited the property of these trees where they would grow orders of magnitude faster under a very precise lighting condition, theorized to be a result of many trees living under somewhat thick canopies in the Age of Dawning. Heights it previously took 20 years to grow to could now take up to half a year. This reaction leads to a heavily underdeveloped bark, but under careful observation, this would obviously not be a problem.

The Arborian Revolution allowed for previously unimagined infrastructure to be built, mainly bridges. Indeed, the Nua'het just built entire wooden bridges in between all their islands, even allowing plenty clearance for boat traffic. Using this incredible bridge building technology, they expanded to encompass the entire archipelago as they do today. Nua'het is one of the few nations which have a neutral stance on Nowa Siemieniakowszczyzna, as they began to occupy the territory just before the revolution.

Please do not confuse the Archipelagate of Nua'het with the Nua'he Archipelago, which refers to the geographic region that is encompassed by both Nua'het AND Nowa Siemieniakowszczyzna. It is very confusing.

xkcd 53.png

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:58 pm UTC

I'll just use this thread to conduct diplomacy through because the chat function isn't too useful, if nobody minds.

Patzer, I know I attacked that city and all, but I realized it would be really beneficial for both of us to call some sort of alliance and take down this dark green dude. You get a bunch of land to your east, I can take over the rest of these northern islands, sounds great. I didn't even win that battle. How does that sound?

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:39 pm UTC

Sure. You can have Atlantis, Bean, and Echaria. Plus Maro Okana if you want it. I have New Daxsew, Star-King Empire, Taridea, and the continent. sound good?

Also, do you know if there is any way I can move my capital city? e.g. make The Queen's Hive, Haldok my capital city, instead or Oldtown, Clawsfirth.
It's probably impossible, but if it is possible it would be quite a handy option.

Edit: Just launched a surprise invasion of Fisherkin, and Bean, and Rawrls. (!)

Green guy won't know what's hit him :twisted:

I think I'm getting the hang of this game. It's fun.
Last edited by patzer on Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:46 pm UTC

Nope you can't change your capital in the game

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:56 pm UTC

Lawrencelot wrote:Nope you can't change your capital in the game

Ah okay.

Clawsfirth isn't too bad for the location of a capital, I guess.

p.s. We should have a "xkcdian alliance". i.e. the four of us from this forum won't attack each other if there are other opponents to fight.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:58 pm UTC

I would have joined, but I couldn't find anything resembling a rulebook.

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:11 pm UTC

I would probably be attacking green dude this turn as well (although it likely wouldn't be very sneaky) if it weren't for the fact that I really need to recoup right now, and also that I already sent in my actions when I made that post.

But let it be known, I'll certainly attack... next turn!

SirGabriel, when you make an account and go into the list of running games, it should prompt you to start a tutorial, if you're fine with it not being written down. There's also the FAQ, which does explain the game too. Like, half of it is outright dedicated to the rules.

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:23 pm UTC

I didn't even see a tutorial, lol. Just worked it out as I was going along.

The Telumeids are a nomadic people of the sparsely-inhabited northern steppes; they mostly ride around on mammoths, for distances are too far to walk.

It's a barren wasteland that nobody wants to visit, not least because the Telumeids are actually quite scary. On numerous occasions they have attacked neigboring nations, which one of the reasons that the Ingramid Empire united.
Attachments
cwb6.png

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:34 am UTC

Allow me to immediately make a new update to the map, because it's fun. I love making up fake, inspired-by-real-cultures names

Tessa (pronounced Tay-jah) is a monarchy whose citizens are very patriotic, although the country is generally disliked by its neighbors.

Tessa originally formed out of the marriage of two separate kingdoms, Almerdra in the west and Letredo in the east. The two already had a long history of good relations, being allies for over 70 years, so when the king of Letredo died with no heirs, leaving Queen Velatoz Letre ruling alone, they decided to make the best out of a bad situation and marry her to King Tess Caresina of Alemerdra, officially combining their kingdoms. Despite Caresina being the succeeding lineage and all the two's heirs being in his name, the new royal couple renamed the union to establish a new sort of "reality" for future citizens - although the capital continued to be the capital of Almerdra (named Siuti Almerdra).

Of course, at this point, the two countries had no borders in common, so more functionally uniting the kingdoms was very difficult. To solve this problem, the king had a large brigade of troops from both sides pave a sort of path that more or less lead from Siuti Almerdra from the old capital of Letredo. Needless to say, the countries that already occupied that land were highly angered by this, so a war began between them, now called "The Odorenke Pass Controversy," named after the name for the interkingdom pathway, itself named after the name of the new Tessan capital founded some years later as a symbol of further unified harmony, Odorenke, which itself was named for the Almerdran (as in, the language) name for the lake it sits on the coast of, Odrankei Lake.

Odorenke, positioned almost exactly midway between the two former sovereign states, is one of the most heavily guarded cities in the world due to its very undefended position geographically.

xkcd 54.png

XAXA

Postby XAXA » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:19 am UTC

For help with the game go to the forum, and go to the Game strategy and tips section. 'AW's Knowledge Collection' is probably the most useful thread there. In the general forum 'atWar Wikia & Database' is good. To view how strategies work go the the units page that is under help in the top right corner. You won't need to know about strats for this game though since strats and upgrades are disabled.

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:08 am UTC

The Empire of Darado, named after the Darado Peninsula which it is located on, in turn named after the ancient Shárizi explorer Godfrey Darado, was formerly the most profitable colony of Shárizaa, its mountains being very rich in gold and other precious metals. As Shárizaa went into decline, the Shárizi elite in Darado decided to declare independence; a social stratification system emerged, where Shárizi were at the top of the pyramid, controlling everything, followed by Jolintarian giants and golems, followed by other foreigners, with indigenous Daradans at the very bottom of the pyramid.
This régime has steadily become more brutal, but also isolationist; as a result, Darado is quite poor and it seems to be only a matter of time before the entire system will collapse. They recently had to sell their easternmost territory, half an island, to the Star-King Empire, due to financial troubles.
Rumor has it that, long ago, Darado was a magical place, but the magic vanished along with the gold as the land was pillaged by Shárizaa.

Nsara Meadows, a very fertile and scenic land, has recently managed to break free from the repressive rule of Darado, with the help of their neighbors in Tessa. As a result, they're one of the few countries in the region that actually likes Tessa.
Attachments
cwb7.png

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:57 pm UTC

Tyruh Fehreness is generally a taiga-esque desert region, like the land of the Telumeids to the north. Unlike them, however, Tyruh Fehreness has the ever strong and reliable Adder River, which, carrying rich minerals from the nearby Serpentine Mountains, gives the land and flora a mile adjacent an incredible vigor. With this, they've been able to establish towns for hundreds of years. Due to this, a few hundred years after the Tyruhis first settled the land long ago, the later-called First Holy Ambientist, Prof. Sajo Borrmet, founded the combination religion and science of Florism, which essentially examined and celebrated the study of plants and their interdynamics. Agriculture in Tyruh Fehreness florished, but it became illegal to consume any plant products that prevent a plant from reproducing, i.e. vegetables.

Borrmet's workplace in her hometown later became a museum and a holy site, and is luckily tucked away in the protrusion into the Ingramid Empire. The town it resides in, originally being Tyruh Fehreness' capital and most populous city, is no longer that today, so that it is less of a target to the Telumeids.

xkcd 55.png

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:51 am UTC

The Hourglass Valley, or Hourglass Empire, is a flourishing civilisation in a deep valley, completely isolated from any of the northern cultures.

Its origins trace back to southern Eínsmann, where the great, fast-flowing river Einsfleu disappears into a tunnel in the ground. Few who have entered said tunnel have ever been seen again, but very occasionally someone manages to make their way back to Eínsmann and spread rumors. Supposedly there is a great, beautiful, empire to the south, which will accept any person who has no home elsewhere; as a result, some people will willingly sail down the river into the tunnel, in the hope that they will reach paradise on the other side.

Back to the Hourglass Valley. It is centered around the great Moon River (their name for the Eínsfleu), and surrounded by high cliffs and mountain ranges. On the other side of those mountains, one will find only hellish wastelands. The valley, however, is surprisingly habitable, despite having a much lower elevation than the surrounding deserts, for there are a lot of clouds to block out most of the suns heat. Recently, some In-in-n'erin accidentally dug a tunnel to the surface, and had a rather odd "first contact" with the Hourglass Empire.
The Hourglass people have developed a rather unique variety of magic in their millennia of isolation from the north, an eclectic mixture of the magics of the many species that inhabit the valley.

(Oh, also. The thing in the ocean is meant to be the giant waterfall flowing from the northern world to the southern one. It didn't come out very well. If anyone wants to alter it, feel free to do so)
Attachments
cwb8.png

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:07 am UTC

Yeah I thought Djehutynakht would draw the waterfall, it was his idea iirc. I've made an attempt myself, but it's his call. I don't like yours and I don't like mine so I hope someone makes a better version.

colabwb8.png

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:18 am UTC

Yeah, I did have the idea but honestly I feel pretty incompetent at drawing it myself.

I've been trying to think, though: Obviously the northern mountain range separates the north and central from seeing each other. What stops the central from looking down over the south? Curve in the planet? A great mist rising from the waterfall?

In any case, the southern border should probably be around the same scale as the northern one. Just... waterfall-ish, I guess? Or say screw it and just go with mountains.

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:40 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:I've been trying to think, though: Obviously the northern mountain range separates the north and central from seeing each other. What stops the central from looking down over the south? Curve in the planet? A great mist rising from the waterfall?

I expect there would be a lot of mist rising from the waterfall. People would probably think it's the edge of the world, falling endlessly down into an abyss.

I doubt the waterfall would completely encircle the planet- there could be all sorts of boundaries. (Such as the mountains surrounding the Hourglass Empire - I expect that valley is a northern protrusion of the world-south-of-the-waterfall.) As long as they're all very difficult to get past, it's okay.

Oh, btw, it's your turn in the game; you have 8 hours left to take the turn.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:25 am UTC

Yeah mist sounds good. But the northern world can look upon the central world though, as it is much higher.

Tried to make a new waterfall using a real photo; this one is nicer but does not fit the style of the rest of the map I think
colabwb8.png

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:54 pm UTC

I tried adding some shadows to make the waterfall a bit more realistic.
Attachments
wat.png

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:23 pm UTC

I have consulted, for countless hours (0.01 is a countless number), Google Maps' view of Niagara Falls, and I can tell you this should not only approximate the look of a waterfall, but should also be fairly easy to draw, which is really the most important part.

xkcd 56.png

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:38 pm UTC

That's fair.

I might try and make it a bit wider, just because our current southern boundaries are so puny compared to that huge northern band. (maybe a stepped waterfall?) But yeah, we'll develop it.

Also, how does the North look down on the central? There's a big mountain range between them. I assume that impedes the view, even if the North is slightly higher.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:11 pm UTC

Agreed about the waterfall.

Dje, the north being higher was invented in this post: viewtopic.php?p=3841876#p3841876

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:56 am UTC

I've created a second layer of waterfall as a sort of addition. I will be adding actual countries again, but I'm a bit busy right now.
Attachments
Collabwb.png

patzer

Postby patzer » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:24 am UTC

This dark green guy is slaughtering me. I am not good at this game. Well, at least we have Lawrencelot, Reecer, Xenosapien and I all attacking him, I guess.

XAXA

Postby XAXA » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:27 pm UTC

well im not attacking him atm, will able to a bit if a city im getting is a port. so sorry but I'll be going through you first (im xenosapien)
It's well worth learning the game though, it has some depth to it.

patzer

Postby patzer » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:49 pm UTC

Oh. Well that changes matters slightly, and I suddenly feel much less confident about being able to maintain my range of control in the south.

I prefer learning games from trial and error - have understood/worked out the main mechanics (attack, defence; land, sea, and air travel; income; alliances)
No doubt there are many nuances that I'm unaware of, but will figure things out sooner or later. It is indeed quite a complicated game.

XAXA

Postby XAXA » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:05 pm UTC

http://atwar-game.com/forum/topic.php?topic_id=16145 you've missed one main mechanic, battle prioritising/turnblocking.

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:21 am UTC

Ah, I see. That is quite important. Thanks!

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:20 am UTC

I know I've drifted away, but I was looking back and saw the awesome atwar map Lawrencelot made, and I'm so pumped for this. I know this thread may have died, but do you guys want to continue this thread? I'd also like to play an atwar game on the map too, but is anyone interested?
I'm baaaaaaaaack! ( <- sort of ironic cause I left for a little bit, but I might be back...)

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.
Believe in a smiling god.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

patzer

Postby patzer » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:11 am UTC

This thread hasn't died, really. Just... dormant.

Feel free to contribute and/or add a country, though!

There's a labelled map here, with links to country descriptions. A bit out of date though.
Present map is just a few posts above you.

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:22 am UTC

Sorry, I'm away for thanksgiving, so I won't be able to edit the map without it being the worst thing ever (AKA my first countries that I used this chromebook to make). I'll add tomorrow night. What about a new atwar game? Interested?
I'm baaaaaaaaack! ( <- sort of ironic cause I left for a little bit, but I might be back...)

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.
Believe in a smiling god.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

patzer

Postby patzer » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:49 am UTC

I'll probably join in a new atwa game, though not sure if I can manage playing two games simultaneously.

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:12 pm UTC

I'd be interested in another game, although only after this one has finished. I might make another country today too.

Although, do you think the map could be remade to be less political and more geographic for atwar? Because all the different colors are kind of ruining the effect of seeing each player's colors spread across the map.

Return to “Forum Games”