Tel Balok II - Episode II: First Decisions

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Adam H

Tel Balok II - Episode II: First Decisions

Postby Adam H » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:43 pm UTC

Tel Balok II

This is a role playing game with a similar theme to the old "Tel Balok RPG" game that I ran a while ago. This version will be much less stat-oriented and it should be a bit quicker paced.

Tel Balok is a mysterious island where interesting characters congregate. The player-characters are from different fantasy universes and wake up one day to inexplicably find themselves in this foreign land that they know nothing about and have never heard of before.

Gameplay:
Post actions in bold. You can attempt any action imaginable; however, whether your action is successful or not will depend entirely on my judgment. I will reference your character's stats when I determine the outcome of any actions you take. The outcome will be subjective, based on the difficulty of the action and your relevant attributes and skills. I'll try my best to be fair and fun.

There will be a maximum of 5 players in the game at a time. All players will stick together in one group. Specifically, they must all be able to get to each other within the span of one "action", and they must all be able to communicate with each other. The only explanation for why you have to stick together is because you want to, so please don't create characters that are incompatible.

There won't be a typical inventory or combat system. Instead, everything will be semi-realistic. Don't expect to be able to carry much if you don't have a bag. And don't expect to be able to take very many arrows to the face, no matter how strong you are.

Character Creation:
Spoiler:
Fantasy characters only, please! There is a strange energy on the island that makes electricity and most advanced technologies ineffective.

Come up with a backstory if you want. Feel free to add characteristics like height, weight, age, (dis)honor, race, special effects or racial abilities (e.g. vampirism), etc. Creativity is great!

You can bring a few items with you: only small things that are normal for your character to have on his/her person (like in a small satchel or bag). I'd prefer if you didn't pick overpowered items.

Then assign stats as described below:

First, split 100 points between 6 attributes.
  • Strength (physical strength and constitution)
  • Agility (dexterity and speed)
  • Perception (observe setting and NPCs – "street smarts")
  • Wisdom (magical ability and intellect – "book smarts")
  • Communication (converse with NPCs)
  • Luck (things that are out of the player's control)

Lastly, split 100 points between player-invented skills and spells. The descriptions of these skills must be vague so that I can balance the effectiveness of the skill/spell. You will have a stat of 0 in any skill/spell that you do not assign points to. For many skills (e.g. tackle, sneak, persuade), you can still attempt the actions, and - depending on your attributes and similar skills - a skill stat of 0 might be good enough in many situations. For other actions (e.g. spells), a skill stat of 0 will make those actions completely ineffectual.

Regarding spells: You'll have a limited amount of energy that regenerates after a night's sleep, and once you run out of energy you won't be able to cast anything for the rest of the day. I won't update you on your energy levels, I'll only tell you when you run out and can no longer cast spells. Your energy capacity depends on your wisdom, and spells that I feel are overpowered will drain your energy more. Players are free to design their own system, as long as it's balanced.

One small thing – everyone will be able to read/write, even the dumbest character. Chalk it up to the magic of Tel Balok. The Wisdom attribute will improve your literary abilities; a reading/writing skill is unnecessary.

Players:
Spoiler:
orangedragonfire: Vestrion, the Celestial Cleric
Name: Vestrion, Jester of the Gods
Race: Celestial - Also known as Angels, Messengers and Harbingers of Light. These are humanoid beings with a close link to one or more Gods. Depending on the strength of that link, Celestials may have several perks - immortality, eternal youth, bright wings, a heavily glow, ethereal beauty, invulnerability and amazing magical powers. Being on a different plane than the God severely weakens the link. So most Celestials tend to stay in Heaven, where they are strong and spend their time fussing over their Gods.
Class: Cleric
God: Karliss, Goddess of Irony
Backstory: Karliss decided to send one of her Celestial Followers to Tel Balok. There are no records of why exactly she did this, though speculations raged throughout the heavenly plane. Some said she had a grand plan, and this was the most important piece, others suggested that she was just bored and wanted to be amused by her puppet.
Height: 1.90 m
Link Strength: 1/10 (+2 when on the same plane as Karliss)
Link strength bonuses: See list below. You get the bonuses up to and including your link strength, and bonuses below your link strength grow stronger.
  1. Quicker Healing
  2. Ethereal Beauty
  3. Heavenly Glow
  4. Bright Wings
  5. Immortality
  6. Eternal Youth
  7. Flaming Sword
  8. Fantastic Strength
  9. Invulnerability
  10. Amazing Magical Powers
Attributes:
  • Strength - 15
  • Agility - 15
  • Perception - 20
  • Wisdom - 31
  • Communication - 21
  • Luck - 0
Skills:
  • Pray - 50 - Temporarily increase the link strength to a God by 1.
  • Nice Person - 5 - Slight bonus to first impressions.
Spells:
  • Healing - 30 - Using the power of heavenly magic, Vestrion can attempt to heal wounds.
  • Light - 15 - Call forth a weak orb of light to banish the darkness in your immediate surroundings.
Items:
  • 1 holy pendant
  • 1 flask of holy water
  • 20 holy crystals
  • 1 blessed robe

Vytron: Ovyron, the Leprechaun
Name: Ovyron
Race: Leprechaun

Attributes:
  • Strength - 1
  • Agility - 34
  • Perception - 11
  • Wisdom - 9
  • Communication - 11
  • Luck - 36
Leprechaun Spells:
  • Acrobatics - 35 - Leprechaun magic allows Ovyron to do crazy stuff like ceiling jumping, fall on his head (on his hat) without being hurt, and he is really hard to hit due to great speed and luck.
  • Sideburning - 30 - Ovyron's sideburns are very strong and he can quickly whip them around with magic. He can use them as ropes and they are very resistant, and if lost somehow they may grow back. His leprechaun magic makes him stronger when he uses them.
  • "Macgyvering" - 15 - Apt to find stuff around the place and join it or mix it to build new useful objects, open doors, and such.
  • Persuasion - 10 - Can influence people to do he says.
  • Hit And Run - 10 - Able to get near people and do stuff to them, then step away before they can affect him
Items:
  • "Magic" Hat - Not really magic, only highly technological, the hat allows Ovyron to bring stuff from his own dimension, but it's not very reliable and often brings the wrong object or comes up empty.
  • Teleportation Clock - Allows Ovyron to teleport to a place nearby, and needs really long amounts of cool down depending on how powerful the last jump was.
  • Ovyron's First Coin - A shiny coin that Ovyron has carried with him as a kid, and to which he has added several functions (i.e. magnifying glass). Basically indestructible, if the coin falls on the ground it'll fall on its edge and go back to Ovyron.
  • Genetically Modified 4 Leaf Clover - Carried on his hat, enhances Ovyron's Luck unnaturally. Ovyron's luck goes back to 0 if he loses contact with this Clover.

thecamoninja: Deathly, the Black Mage
Name: Deathly, of The Blistering Sun Tribe, born of Crimson-Eye the Firebrand (translated from an Orcish dialect)
Class: Black mage (glass cannon)
Race: Desert Orc (not all orcs are the lumbering green brutes condemned by popular rhetoric - Deathly's race is a semi-nomadic desert people, generally smaller, darker skinned, and more culturally refined than their more famous warrior-like cousins)
Sex: Female
Build: Slim; androgynous
Skin: Dark, green-brown olive tone (if a green orc is equivalent to a white caucasian, desert orcs are middle-eastern or south asian)
Height: 1.6 m (5'3")
Teeth: big and pointy
Ears: big and pointy
Hair: short dreadlocks, blackish-red

Attributes
  • Strength - 5
  • Agility - 15
  • Perception - 20
  • Wisdom - 36
  • Communication - 16
  • Luck - 10
Skills:
  • Blend in - 20 - Either with local terrain or with a crowd - not a great challenge for someone of small stature and with good perception skills. Receives a racial bonus in arid climates, and possibly a racial penalty in settings with a lot of greenery.
  • Prediction - 20 - Read a person or situation and attempt to determine what will happen next.
Spells:
  • Fireball/Inferno - 20 - When channeled, shoots a ball of fire at whatever Deathly is focusing on. When used in its raw form, sets everything nearby on fire (with Deathly at the center). "The Haymaker"
  • Lightning Bolt/Chain Lightning - 20 - When channeled, shoots a bolt of electrical energy at whatever deathly is focusing on. When used in its raw form, shoots arcs of electricity in a chain between any nearby conductive objects (with Deathly at the center). "The Scalpel"
  • Terrakinesis/Earth Storm - 20 - When channeled, allows Deathly to manipulate earthen materials such as clay, sand, dirt, and stone. When used in its raw form, creates a storm of any nearby such materials flying through the air at high speed (with Deathly at the center). "The Clean-up"
Items:
  • Basic leather armor - Good for traveling while remaining protected.
  • Black mage robes - Trappings of a well-educated upbringing and magical cultural tradition. Hooded, containing a fair number of pockets. Dark brown with gray and black undertones and red highlights.
  • Water skin - Trapping of a desert upbringing, nevertheless useful for traveling. Worn on a strap, fitting the curve of her waist under her robes.
  • Small kris - Sharp dagger forged with a wiggle in the blade. Supposedly mystical, but it has never shown any signs of having any special abilities.
  • Fireball, Lightning Bolt, and Terrakinesis runestones - Magical stones inscribed with arcane writings that allows Deathly to channel primal elemental magic into controlled spells. Without them, her magic will be more powerful, but more difficult to control, and will harm her as well. She has one runestone for each spell she knows (a total of three).

VrookLamar: Darrin Wilrood, the Outlaw
Name: Darrin Wilrood
Race: Human
Class: Outlaw
Alignment: Chaotic neutral
Backstory: An outlaw who has a history of ending up on the wrong side of the law. He kills first and asks questions later. He cannot stand the rich or the powerful, whom he views as hypocrites. He pursues only his own pleasure and twisted sense of justice, but can be loyal to those he thinks can be of benefit to him. Banned from his homeland, he decided to build a new life on the island of Tel Balok.

Attributes:
  • Strength - 35
  • Agility - 30
  • Perception - 4
  • Wisdom - 31
  • Communication - 1
  • Luck - 1
Skills:
  • Stealthy knockout - 20 - Can silently incapacitate an unaware person by a blow to the back of the skull or by a choking maneuver.
  • Unarmed combat - 20 - Skill at fighting using hands and feet.
  • Bladed weapon combat - 20 - Skill at fighting using knives and swords.
  • Pick locks - 10
Spells:
  • Manipulate sound - 15 - Create pressure waves in the air that are perceived as sound (with more complex sounds, such as speech, being more difficult to create)
  • Barrier - 15 - Create an impenetrable barrier
Items:
  • Large, cheap jute bag
  • Flexible civilian clothing
  • 1 silver dram and 7 pennies
  • A one-use vial of poison
  • A small, sharp hidden knife

dimochka: Echo Silas, the Elf Assassin
Name: Echo Silas
Race: Elf
Class: Assassin
Backstory: The best in his graduating class from the Black Dragon assassins group, Echo was attacked by three other members who felt threatened by him. After killing two and severely injuring the third, he decided to leave and find his own luck in the world.
Personality: Usually quiet, not anti-social but vigilant with people and takes a very long time to trust someone, if at all.
Looks: Lean, somewhat muscular, definitely attractive. About 6ft tall. Has a small knife scar by his right temple, and a tattoo of two small birds on the back of his right shoulder.

Attributes:
  • Strength - 25
  • Agility - 30
  • Perception - 35
  • Wisdom - 2
  • Communication - 5
  • Luck - 5
Skills:
  • Backstab - 25 - Inflict extra damage on a target facing away from Echo, additional damage is dealt if the target is unaware.
  • Blend and Sneak - 25 - Quietly walk through an area, fading into the surroundings. Much more effective if under cover of darkness.
  • Improved Senses - 20 - Able to sense incoming danger relatively well and has better chance to avoid traps and missiles
  • Bow Skill - 15 - Able to shoot arrows from a bow decently well, especially with a short-bow.
  • Acrobatics - 10 - Better control of balance, climbing, and unstable environments
  • Repair - 5 - Able to repair/rebuild own equipment, including making new arrows. Can fix other equipment, depending on difficulty and time constraints.
Items:
  • Dagger - Small, Silver-handled Athame with a small ruby inserted into the hilt. When ruby is twisted 180 degrees, deadly venom can released from the tip of the dagger by pressing on the ruby. Holds enough venom for 1 use at a time, but can be refilled.
  • Bow - Composite Short-Bow (which can be disassembled and folded in 4 quarters)
  • Quiver/Arrows - Leather Quiver with 20 ancient oak arrows (very difficult to break)
  • Blade - Small 3-inch blade hidden in the sole of the left shoe.
  • Cloak - Black Hooded Leather Cloak (with a number of hidden pockets). Weather Resistant.
  • Leather clothing and boots - Comfortable, yet sturdy. Fitted and do not restrict movement.
  • Lucky Coin - Weighted coin, which lands on heads 90% of the time. Otherwise looks exactly like one high-priced coin of local currency (ie gold coin)
  • Red String - A red string wrapped around the left wrist, worn for good luck; The only item Echo got from his parents. Rumored to have lucky properties, but Echo believes in making his own luck.
  • Necklace - A necklace in the shape of a raven spreading its wings. The back has a hidden compartment that allows to hide something very small (roughly 1 cubed cm) or a crumpled note. Currently empty.

You will collectively choose a starting location out of the following:
Spoiler:
  • Aelia Jerael: Capital and center of Tel Balok
  • Ephyria: Home to the School of Magic
  • Gazalem: Lawless port city teeming with pirates and bands of thieves
  • Dur Ninestine: Southern agricultural port, home to "The Freedom Fighters"
  • Haline Isles: Freezing, sparsely populated islands off the northern coastline
  • Shinaan: Remote eastern fishing village near the evil fortress Dur Kaz
  • Moavis: Remote northern mining town

In all of these locations you will start out in no danger, with the immediate agency to make some money or gain some fame or do whatever you want (unlike the last Tel Balok game where you started off in a jail cell).

If more than five players want to play, the following rule will apply: if an active player does not post for five consecutive days where the mod is active, the player becomes inactive and the next player up on the waiting list will join the game.
Last edited by Adam H on Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:31 pm UTC, edited 5 times in total.
-Adam

thecamoninja

Re: Tel Balok II: Signups

Postby thecamoninja » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:56 pm UTC

Oh hot damn /in

I'll start dreaming up a character right now, hopefully to be posted by the end of today.

How is the plot gonna be structured? Is it intended to be episodic like the previous one, or just one long stream, or something else?
Formerly known as Camoninja
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
Hardcore will never die, but you will.
- - -
Subsequently known as Lavender Manna

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:06 pm UTC

/in

Name: Vestrion, Jester of the Gods
Race: Celestial - Also known as Angels, Messengers and Harbingers of Light. These are humanoid beings with a close link to one or more Gods. Depending on the strength of that link, Celestials may have several perks - immortality, eternal youth, bright wings, a heavily glow, ethereal beauty, invulnerability and amazing magical powers. Being on a different plane than the God severely weakens the link. So most Celestials tend to stay in Heaven, where they are strong and spend their time fussing over their Gods.
Class: Cleric
God: Karliss, Goddess of Irony
Link Strength: 1/10 (+2 when on the same plane as Karliss)
Link strength bonuses: See list in spoiler. You get the bonuses up to and including your link strength, and bonuses below your link strength grow stronger.
Spoiler:
1: Quicker Healing
2: Ethereal Beauty
3: Heavenly Glow
4: Bright Wings
5: Immortality
6: Eternal Youth
7: Flaming Sword
8: Fantastic Strength
9: Invulnerability
10: Amazing Magical Powers

Height: 1.90 m
Backstory: Karliss decided to send one of her Celestial Followers to Tel Balok. There are no records of why exactly she did this, though speculations raged throughout the heavenly plane. Some said she had a grand plan, and this was the most important piece, others suggested that she was just bored and wanted to be amused by her puppet.

Attributes:
Strength - 15
Agility - 15
Perception - 20
Wisdom - 30
Communication - 20
Luck - 0

Skills/Spells:
Healing (spell) - 30 - Using the power of heavenly magic, Vestrion can attempt to heal wounds
Pray - 50 - Temporarily increase the link strength to a God by 1.
Nice person - 5 - Slight bonus to first impressions
Light (spell) - 15 - Call forth a weak orb of light to banish the darkness in your immediate surroundings

Items:
1 holy pendant
1 flask of holy water
20 holy crystals
1 blessed robe

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:17 pm UTC

thecamoninja wrote:How is the plot gonna be structured? Is it intended to be episodic like the previous one, or just one long stream, or something else?
Good question! Probably more long-streamy than before, though I'll still edit in new "episodes" in the title.

Also, I'm going to hold a spot for Vytron since he is the reason I made the game in the first place. I don't imagine we'll get more than 5 interested players by the time he sees this, but just in case.
-Adam

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:04 pm UTC

You know I'm in :)

Character to be made late tonight
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:56 am UTC

Adam H wrote:Also, I'm going to hold a spot for Vytron since he is the reason I made the game in the first place.

Thanks :) , indeed, when you created the game and I wasn't around I was afraid I'd lose my spot! But all is fine.

/in

I'm going to recycle Ovyron (you may read for backstory). Er, not recycle, this game follows his, er, my adventures, yeah.

Name: Ovyron
Race: Leprechaun

Attributes:
Strength - 1
Agility - 34
Luck - 34
Perception - 11
Wisdom - 11
Communication - 11

Skills and Spells:
50 - Acrobatics: Highly acrobatic abilities allow Ovyron to do crazy stuff like cailing jumping, fall on its head (on his hat) without being hurt and spin, and to be really hard to hit due to great speed and good luck.
10 - Persuasion: Can influence people to do he says.
10 - Hit And Run: Able to get near people and do stuff to them, then step away before they can affect him
10 - Sideburning: Ovyron's sideburns are very strong, he can use them as ropes and are very resistant, and if lost somehow they may grow back.
20 - "Macgyvering": Apt to find stuff around the place and join it or mix it to build new useful objects, open doors, and such.

Items:
1 - "Magic" Hat. Not really magic, only highly technological, the hat allows Ovyron to bring stuff from his own dimension, but it's not very reliable and often brings the wrong object or comes up empty.
2 - Teleportation Clock. Allows Ovyron to teleport to a place nearby, and needs really long amounts of cool down depending on how powerful the last jump was.
3 - Ovyron's First Coin. A shinny coin that Ovyron has carried with him as a kid, and to which he has added several functions (i.e. magnifying glass). Basically indestructible, if the coin falls on the ground it'll fall on its edge and go back to Ovyron.
4 - Genetically Modified 4 Leaf Clover: Carried on his hat, enhances Ovyron's Luck unnaturally. Ovyron's luck goes back to 0 if he loses contact with this Clover.

(his sideburns are much longer than shown)

I recall that my character was so overpowered last game that I had to add handicaps to him, to compensate, so I wouldn't mind to add stuff like "can't learn new abilities", "can't use other items" or "Attributes are reduced from 100 to 80" or something that would make it work, if necessary.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:41 am UTC

Also:

Vote: Gazalem

Seriously? This world has lawless pirates and thieves? How can we miss that?

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:02 am UTC

Char sheet -
Spoiler:
Name: Deathly, of The Blistering Sun Tribe, born of Crimson-Eye the Firebrand (translated from an Orcish dialect)
Class: Black mage (glass cannon)

Appearance-
Race: Desert Orc (not all orcs are the lumbering green brutes condemned by popular rhetoric - Deathly's race is a semi-nomadic desert people, generally smaller, darker skinned, and more culturally refined than their more famous warrior-like cousins)
Sex: Female
Build: Slim; androgynous
Skin: Dark, green-brown olive tone (if a green orc is equivalent to a white caucasian, desert orcs are middle-eastern or south asian)
Height: 1.6 m (5'3")
Teeth: big and pointy
Ears: big and pointy
Hair: short dreadlocks, blackish-red

Attributes-
Strength: 5
Agility: 15
Perception: 20
Wisdom: 35
Communication: 15
Luck: 10

Spells-
Fireball/Inferno: 20 - When channeled, shoots a ball of fire at whatever Deathly is focusing on. When used in its raw form, sets everything nearby on fire (with Deathly at the center). "The Haymaker"
Lightning Bolt/Chain Lightning: 20 - When channeled, shoots a bolt of electrical energy at whatever deathly is focusing on. When used in its raw form, shoots arcs of electricity in a chain between any nearby conductive objects (with Deathly at the center). "The Scalpel"
Terrakinesis/Earth Storm: 20 - When channeled, allows Deathly to manipulate earthen materials such as clay, sand, dirt, and stone. When used in its raw form, creates a storm of any nearby such materials flying through the air at high speed (with Deathly at the center). "The Clean-up"

Skills-
Blend in: 20 - Either with local terrain or with a crowd - not a great challenge for someone of small stature and with good perception skills. Receives a racial bonus in arid climates, and possibly a racial penalty in settings with a lot of greenery.
Prediction: 20 - Read a person or situation and attempt to determine what will happen next.

Gear-
Basic leather armor: Good for traveling while remaining protected.
Black mage robes: Trappings of a well-educated upbringing and magical cultural tradition. Hooded, containing a fair number of pockets. Dark brown with gray and black undertones and red highlights.
Water skin: Trapping of a desert upbringing, nevertheless useful for traveling. Worn on a strap, fitting the curve of her waist under her robes.
Small kris: Sharp dagger forged with a wiggle in the blade. Supposedly mystical, but it has never shown any signs of having any special abilities.
Fireball, Lightning Bolt, and Terrakinesis runestones: Magical stones inscribed with arcane writings that allows Deathly to channel primal elemental magic into controlled spells. Without them, her magic will be more powerful, but more difficult to control, and will harm her as well. She has one runestone for each spell she knows (a total of three).

I'm playing a black mage here, so our party is looking pretty squishy at the moment. Let's hope dimochka and/or our fifth player plays a character a bit more focused on strength.

I'm not sure straight democracy is the best way to decide the starting city. I'd prefer to discuss it with the party and reach a group consensus.
In my opinion, I'd say either Aelia Jerael or Gazalem are the best choices to start out in - the other locations sound like specific adventures a party might go on at some point in a campaign, but not like the sort of place where you have a lot of freedom to branch out and explore around like a national capital or a large port town.
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
- - -

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:07 am UTC

I agree in principle, but I think such a discussion should happen in-game, with our characters.

Maybe, we meet in a tavern in the middle of nowhere that is connected to all locations to discuss where will we head to or something?

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:51 pm UTC

I usually do warrior/paladin, working on something similar at the moment. I like strength but dislike lack of wisdom.

Edit: I also want to add Shinaan to the list of potential starting points.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:18 pm UTC

thecamoninja wrote:I'm not sure straight democracy is the best way to decide the starting city. I'd prefer to discuss it with the party and reach a group consensus.
In my opinion, I'd say either Aelia Jerael or Gazalem are the best choices to start out in - the other locations sound like specific adventures a party might go on at some point in a campaign, but not like the sort of place where you have a lot of freedom to branch out and explore around like a national capital or a large port town.
Vytron wrote:I agree in principle, but I think such a discussion should happen in-game, with our characters.

Maybe, we meet in a tavern in the middle of nowhere that is connected to all locations to discuss where will we head to or something?

The only thing that the starting location really affects is the stuff that the local NPCs tell you. You won't be railroaded into any quests. If you are bored with the locale, you'll be free to travel to any of the other locations about as easily as if you had met in a tavern in the middle of nowhere. If you think of the island as a circle, Aelia Jerael is the center and all of the other locations are near the circumference, so starting in a central location won't decrease your traveling time by more than a factor of 2.
-Adam

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:38 am UTC

Okay, so I say, let's start at the edge of Gazalem, then, once we're there, we can discuss if we enter Gazalem or if we pick another location.

VrookLamar

Postby VrookLamar » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:14 pm UTC

Name: Darrin Wilrood (age 30)
Spoiler:
Race: Human
Class: Outlaw
Alignment: Chaotic neutral
Backstory: An outlaw who has a history of ending up on the wrong side of the law. He kills first and asks questions later. He cannot stand the rich or the powerful, whom he views as hypocrites. He pursues only his own pleasure and twisted sense of justice, but can be loyal to those he thinks can be of benefit to him. Banned from his homeland, he decided to build a new life on the island of Tel Balok.

Attributes:
Strength - 35
Agility - 30
Perception - 3
Wisdom - 30
Communication - 1
Luck - 1

Skills:
Stealthy knockout - 20 - Can silently incapacitate an unaware person by a blow to the back of the skull or by a choking manoeuvre. Unless they make a fortitude save, of course.
Unarmed combat - 20 - Skill at fighting using hands and feet
Pointy weapon combat - 20 - Skill at fighting using knives and swords
Pick locks - 10

Spells:
Manipulate sound - 15 - Create pressure waves in the air that are perceived as sound (with more complex sounds, such as speech, being more difficult to create)
Barrier - 15 - Create an impenetrable barrier

Items:
Large, cheap jute bag
Flexible civilian clothing
Some coins (equivalent of $100 in Tel Balok's currency)
A one-use vial of poison
A small, sharp hidden knife

I want to find a rich person to rob.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:50 pm UTC

Well that's five, as soon as dimochka creates a char. Consider sign ups closed, though people can still sign up as replacements (they'd be able to make original chars).
-Adam

dimochka

Re: Tel Balok II: Pregame discussion

Postby dimochka » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:25 am UTC

sorry have it saved in a text file at home. about 6 hours till i get back.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:41 am UTC

Ok, Character Sheet spoilered below. Name's Echo Silas.

Spoiler:
Name: Echo Silas
Race: Elf
Class: Assassin
Backstory: The best in his graduating class from the Black Dragon assassins group, Echo was attacked by three other members who felt threatened by him. After killing two and severely injuring the third, he decided to leave and find his own luck in the world.
Personality: Usually quiet, not anti-social but vigilant with people and takes a very long time to trust someone, if at all.
Looks: Lean, somewhat muscular, definitely attractive. About 6ft tall. Has a small knife scar by his right temple, and a tattoo of two small birds on the back of his right shoulder.

Attributes:
Strength: 25
Agility: 30
Perception: 35
Wisdom: 1
Communication - 4
Luck - 5

Skills:
Backstab (25) - Inflict 2x damage on a target facing away from Echo. If target is unaware, damage is 4x.
Blend and Sneak (25) - Quietly walk through an area, fading into the surroundings. 2x more effective if under cover of darkness
Bow Skill (15) - Able to shoot arrows from a bow decently well, especially with a shortbow
Improved Senses/Dodge/Reflex (20; passive) - Able to sense incoming danger relatively well and has better chance to avoid traps/missiles
Acrobatics (10; passive) - Better control of balance, climbing, and unstable environments
Repair (5) - Able to repair/rebuild own equipment with ease (including making new arrows). Can fix other equipment, depending on difficulty and time constraints.

Weapons
Dagger: Small, Silver-handled Athame with a small ruby inserted into the hilt. When ruby is twisted 180 degrees, deadly venom can released from the tip of the dagger by pressing on the ruby. Holds enough venom for 1 use at a time, but can be refilled.
Bow: Composite Short-Bow (which can be disassembled and folded in 4 quarters)
Quiver/Arrows: Leather Quiver with 20 ancient oak arrows (very difficult to break)
Blade: Small 3-inch blade hidden in the sole of the left shoe.

Clothing
Cloak: Black Hooded Leather Cloak (with a number of hidden pockets). Weather Resistant.
Comfortable, yet sturdy, leather clothing and boots. Fitted and do not restrict movement.

Other Items
Lucky Coin: Weighted coin, which lands on heads 90% of the time. Otherwise looks exactly like one high-priced coin of local currency (ie gold coin)
Red String: A red string wrapped around the left wrist, worn for good luck; The only item Echo got from his parents. Rumored to have lucky properties, but Echo believes in making his own luck.
Necklace: A necklace in the shape of a raven spreadings its wings. The back has a hidden compartment that allows to hide something very small (roughly 1 cubed cm) or a crumpled note. Currently empty.
Last edited by dimochka on Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:49 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:32 am UTC

Looks good, perhaps not as 'tanky' as would provide decent balance to the party, but that just makes things more interesting :D

Our party seems to be leaning quite a bit towards the 'infamous' side of the notoriety spectrum, but again, that just makes it more interesting. Maybe having an angel in our party will balance it out, but it sure feels like Deathly, Darrin, and Echo would make a pretty damn effective team of criminals.

Just one thing though, dimochka: who is this "Mars" person? :P
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
- - -

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:51 am UTC

thecamoninja wrote:it sure feels like Deathly, Darrin, and Echo would make a pretty damn effective team of criminals.

Hey, I can always teleport in and open from the inside :mrgreen:

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:29 am UTC

Fixed! And yea we are not awfully tankish but we'll just need to rely on strategy and tactics. Also - Echo is more neutral than anything (chaotic neutral-ish).

As far as Mars - I considered a split personality! (Or I just changed the name towards the end and forgot to fix within storyline)
Last edited by dimochka on Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:51 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:09 pm UTC

I definitely love the idea of an angel half-heartedly trying to keep his criminal companions in check. I think this is going to be a pretty fun game. :)

Since no one suggested a cooldown or mana system for spells (ala Ovyron or Rathrast last game), I'll define a loose structure that will apply to everyone. You'll have a limited amount of energy that regenerates after a night's sleep, and once you run out of energy you won't be able to cast anything for the rest of the day. I won't update you on your energy levels, I'll only tell you when you run out and can no longer cast spells. Your energy capacity depends on your wisdom, and spells that I feel are overpowered will drain your energy more. I feel like this will be easiest on me. I'll try to be consistent but who knows how it will turn out... :?

The game will probably start tomorrow, woohoo! There's one vote for Gazalem and not much talk otherwise, so speak up soon if you have any thoughts!
-Adam

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:23 pm UTC

Wait, what? Wisdom is looking critical so I guess I'll change my stats:

Strength - 1
Agility - 30
Luck - 30
Perception - 8
Wisdom - 23
Communication - 8

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:48 pm UTC

Actually, Vytron, go back to your old stats. Your magic will be based on Luck or individual item cooldowns instead of Wisdom. Since you put all your magic in items instead of skills, I was thinking that my last post wouldn't apply to you.

If you want any of your skills to be supernaturally powerful spells, let me know and you'll be limited on how many times you can use them. Otherwise I'll treat them as normal skills. For example, you'll be maybe 25% better at persuasion than if you had no persuasion skill. If you want to be able to snap your fingers and get NPCs to do whatever you want, then it should be more like a once per day spell.

Perhaps another thing worth mentioning now that I look over your char sheet is that if you want to be able to use your sideburns like ropes are typically used, you'll need more than 1 strength. Maybe I'm not seeing the uses you have in mind, but being able to support more than the weight of your head requires strength. Another thing: could the first enemy you come across grab a sideburn and start using you as a flail? I don't see how your agility, luck, or acrobatics could move the ends of your sideburns with much speed. Maybe you keep them tucked into your shirt or hat?
-Adam

VrookLamar

Postby VrookLamar » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:01 pm UTC

I would like to start at Aelia Jerael. Gazalem sounds a little dangerous and we are still poorly armed.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:03 am UTC

@Adam: The idea with strength being so low is that I'm not mean to be a competent fighter, that is, I'm meant to be taken down with one hit, and that I'd require 100 hits to beat a squirrel, or something. If you could separate Fighting Strength from normal Strength that would be great, but otherwise, this may work:

Attributes:
Strength - 16
Agility - 30
Luck - 30
Perception - 8
Wisdom - 8
Communication - 8

If this strength makes me a competent fighter, perhaps, make it so that it's 0 in battles, but doubled on the outside (if this is the case perhaps I should not have it so high and return those points to Perception/Wisdom/Communication.)

I'm not mean to have supernatural powers, but they're meant to be powerful but unreliable (think of the evil genie... i.e. I could use Persuasion to convince an NPC to do something, but they would take it by the letter instead of doing what I hoped, or do what I ordered but it leads to unexpected bad outcomes. Hit and run to steal a key from a guard would lead to coming back with something else for looking in the wrong pocket. Teleporting may lead to getting stuck in an unexpected place, etc. See Unlucky Lucky, Plucky Comic Relief and Feet Of Clay.)

On Sideburns: My agility, luck, and acrobatics capabilities should be applied to my sideburns, so that an enemy grabbing me by them would be as hard as they grabbing me by the neck.

I'll let you fix my stats so all this works :mrgreen:

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:58 pm UTC

OK, you say you don't want them to be supernatural but then you describe supernatural powers. :) My definition of supernatural is "not natural". So I'll think of all your character's skills as leprechaun magic. You won't have energy that runs out with use like the other magic users; instead, your skills will gradually lose reliability every time you use them. Your items will also lose reliability the more you use them. So you will be unnaturally strong when performing acrobatics and using your sideburns, but it won't be unlimited. Your spells and items will be reset to their max reliability when you sleep.

Are other characters able to use your items? (If not generally, what about other leprechauns?)

Your sideburns are super powerful so I lowered your other skills to compensate. Other than that, everything should be like you originally wanted!
Ovyron

Strength - 1
Agility - 34
Luck - 34
Perception - 11
Wisdom - 11
Communication - 11

Leprechaun Spells:
35 - Acrobatics: Leprechaun magic allows Ovyron to do crazy stuff like ceiling jumping, fall on its head (on his hat) without being hurt and spin, and to be really hard to hit due to great speed and good luck.
30 - Sideburning: Ovyron's sideburns are very strong and he can quickly whip them around with magic. He can use them as ropes and they are very resistant, and if lost somehow they may grow back. His leprechaun magic makes him stronger when he uses them.
15 - "Macgyvering": Apt to find stuff around the place and join it or mix it to build new useful objects, open doors, and such.
10 - Persuasion: Can influence people to do he says.
10 - Hit And Run: Able to get near people and do stuff to them, then step away before they can affect him.
-Adam

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:19 pm UTC

Except those stats add up to 102!

I'm fine with whatever mana system you devise for spell usage. My concept for Deathly in general is that she can vary the power of any of her spells based on how much mana pours into it, so for instance Fireball can vary anywhere from small enough to light a candle to large enough to ignite a small building or something of the sort. For the unchanneled, raw forms of spells, I'm thinking that either she burns HP or its equivalent instead of mana to cast them, or, for the same amount of mana, she does more damage, but damages herself as well. (And, generally, while the channeled versions are targeted, the raw forms are area-of-effect).
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
- - -

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:50 pm UTC

thecamoninja wrote:Except those stats add up to 102!

I'm fine with whatever mana system you devise for spell usage. My concept for Deathly in general is that she can vary the power of any of her spells based on how much mana pours into it, so for instance Fireball can vary anywhere from small enough to light a candle to large enough to ignite a small building or something of the sort. For the unchanneled, raw forms of spells, I'm thinking that either she burns HP or its equivalent instead of mana to cast them, or, for the same amount of mana, she does more damage, but damages herself as well. (And, generally, while the channeled versions are targeted, the raw forms are area-of-effect).

LOL good point. Gonna dock him 2 points of wisdom for that error. ;)

Your concept will definitely work well with what I have in mind. When you cast a spell just tell me the desired result. Of course, Deathly IS a glass cannon, so be warned - if you ask to be at the center of a fireball, I'm going to put you at the center of a fireball...

How dangerous should I make this game? How easy should it be to die? A medium amount of easiness? :?
-Adam

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:33 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:you say you don't want them to be supernatural but then you describe supernatural powers. :)

Well, the idea with my character is it doesn't use actual magic, just advanced technology, which is prone to failure, like all technology is, and in an actual magic fight I'd and up the loser, just like you'd imagine some trying to use a gun against a powerful magician would lose.

So I guess what you call supernatural I'd call unnatural, the point is if I was stripped off my belongings I'd become some normal little man, other than limited acrobatics (which are highly dependent on my luck and being able to fall on my hat like cats fall on their feet.)

Adam H wrote:your skills will gradually lose reliability every time you use them.

Sounds good to me!

Adam H wrote:Are other characters able to use your items? (If not generally, what about other leprechauns?)

People could learn to use my items by seeing me use them, but otherwise they look like normal items. My clover would make them super lucky, so my luck would transfer to them,

Other leprechauns with similar items that already know how to use them could, yes.

Adam H wrote:Your sideburns are super powerful so I lowered your other skills to compensate.

Don't worry, I only intend to use them in emergencies anyway. Last game I didn't use them and, all, they're just kind of there so that the mod can't put challenge that would be solved by just carrying some ropes around :mrgreen:

Adam H wrote:LOL good point. Gonna dock him 2 points of wisdom for that error. ;)

Would rather have Agility and Luck being 33! But I think this is it!

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:31 pm UTC

I think you should make the mechanics of dying medium to somewhat low at first, but leverage making the character less effective for a period of time (so for example if i'm badly hurt in the first adventure, maybe lightly restructure results to make me not die, but then most of my abilities are going to be considerably more difficult to do for several game days)

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:40 pm UTC

Oh, that part...

Adam H wrote:How dangerous should I make this game? How easy should it be to die? A medium amount of easiness? :?

I DON'T WANNA DIE

Basically, dying would be the canon death of my character, and I'd not continue playing if I died... So hopefully something like what dimochka is suggesting.

Also

Contains Fighting Fantasy Spoilers
Spoiler:
Or like in FF where the character does never die if the player chooses to continue from a recent point, but people there tend to quit the game or restart with a different character anyway.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:48 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:
Adam H wrote:How dangerous should I make this game? How easy should it be to die? A medium amount of easiness? :?

I DON'T WANNA DIE
This is good to know! If anyone would like to play "hardcore" such that their character's death is permanent, let me know. Otherwise dimochka's suggestion will apply to everyone.

OK I want to start in the next couple hours and it seems like we're pretty much split between Aelia Jerael and Gazalem, so if I don't get a tiebreaker soon I'll just pick Gazalem.
-Adam

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:56 pm UTC

(I'm willing to move to Aelia Jerael if a discussion of going towards it happens in game)

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:22 pm UTC

I'll vote for Aelia Jerael. Starting in a town of villainy seems like it could lead to disaster.

Adam H

Re: Tel Balok II - Episode I: The Arrival

Postby Adam H » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:04 pm UTC

And... we're off!
EPISODE I: THE ARRIVAL

The man behind the bar looked up from polishing his tumblers to see his five guests starting to stir from their slumped positions at the table. This is the first time they moved since their Arrival a few hours ago. Par for the course. By now Brandon was used to the Arrivals. Something about taverns in Jerael seemed to attract newcomers.

Brandon the bartender poured fingers of whiskey into five glasses and put them in the center of their table. "Drink," Brandon said in the language of Tel Balok, "Helps with the headache."

The five strangers blinked, looking completely bewildered. Brandon said a silent prayer to the Queen for patience and walked back behind the bar, hoping that this would be the one time he wouldn't have to answer any stupid questions. Always the same ones: "Where am I? Who are you? What happened?" And he always gave the same replies.

. . . . .

The five adventurers woke from their daze as a rotund balding man told them to drink, in a foreign language all five were surprised to realize they could somehow understand. As the stranger walked away, they looked around the room. Flasks and glasses lined a wall behind a bar, and the other tables in the tavern were empty. Through dirty glass windows they could see sunlight. There was a single door to the outside, and an interior door near where the stranger stood behind the bar. A narrow staircase led to a second story.

It was difficult for any of the adventurers to think clearly through their splitting headaches. They looked around the table, trying to figure out if they knew one another. None of them could remember any of the others.

Well, shit.
-Adam

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:19 am UTC

Ovyron reached the glass and looked at the whiskey, he hadn't seen a beverage like this before, and smelled it carefully.

"Ewww! I'll keep the headache! Thanks..."

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:02 am UTC

Deathly blinks and puts a hand up to her forehead, partially as an effort to take stock of the pain in her head, and partially to shield her eyes as they adjust to the sunlight streaming into the dark bar.

Completely free of any outside influence from her hand, Deathly's pounding temples brashly inform her that something has decided to screw with her head, but she doesn't yet have enough information to tell her who or what it might have been, and so decides to leave that mystery's solution for a later time. Like, for instance, whenever she next doesn't have a splitting headache.

As she slowly regains focus, she takes note of the other people in the room: four others seated at the table with her, and a fat human serving them drinks. She suddenly realizes just how strange and potentially dangerous the situation is, considering that she has no idea who these people are, what they're doing here, or even where "here" is. Instinctively, she reaches for her pockets and quickly pats herself down from arms to waist, taking stock of three oddly shaped stones concealed in various secure pockets within the chest and sleeves of her robe, then the sheathed kris at her left hip and finally the water skin fitting the curve of the right side of her waist.

Now, more awake and aware of her surroundings, Deathly at last registers what the bartender had mentioned about the drinks and the headaches. She cautiously picks up the glass and sniffs, then grunts in approval and takes a swig. It sits in her mouth for about a second before she gulps it down and takes a distressed gasp of air - it is much stronger than she had expected, and certainly much stronger than she is used to drinking.

Finally, she decides she's had enough waiting around. The little man with the silly hat and ridiculous hair had said something inconsequential about his own headache in relation to the drink in front of him, but when Deathly speaks, she directly addresses the bartender.

"So, how is it that I can tell you're speaking a language I know I never learned, but I can still understand you?" She takes another, smaller drink of the strong amber liquid in front of her.
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
- - -

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:22 am UTC

Ovyron meditated for a moment. Indeed, he didn't realize it before, still being off-track with his head in pain, but he has spoken naturally in an unknown tongue, and worse of all, he didn't remember any other tongue that would be familiar. His amnesia seemed peculiar, and he decided to remain quiet and observe the events.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:46 am UTC

Echo carefully examined everyone in the room. They seemed harmless enough and yet... strange. With no recollection of this place, these people, and last night's events, Echo chose to keep quiet and watch the others. Judging by their expressions, the drinks may have had something to do with it, and Echo elected to leave his untouched.

"A glass of water, please", asked Echo. He was curious to know whether everyone was as clueless as he was, but chose not to reveal his thoughts first.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:22 am UTC

Ovyron took a closer look to the figure that just talked. This Elf looked really dangerous, and Ovyron had the feeling that Echo could kill them all if he wanted, but also, that he didn't have evil intentions, at least not currently. Asking for water sounded like a genius idea, but he wanted to do better and said the first thing that came to his mind.

"Can I get a menu of what's available?"

VrookLamar

Postby VrookLamar » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:32 pm UTC

When Darrin regained consciousness, his first instinct was to check that he had not been robbed. For some reason, he could not remember what he had taken with him; but he knew where he usually kept his money and tools and found them in their proper place. He then evaluated his surroundings, taking note of the strange array of creatures that were sitting at the table with him. Because they appeared to be as confused as he was, he did not consider them a threat, but he decided not to show his vulnerability for now. Darrin noticed a pounding headache, but he was no stranger to headaches - nor to waking up in unknown places surrounded by unknown people, for that matter.

It appeared that he was in a tavern, as evidenced by the layout of the room, the bottles on the counter and the drinks being served. He decided that he would pretend to have passed out from drinking too much alcohol. That would give him a reason to be here without raising suspicion. He knew, however, that this odd gathering of characters had to be here for another reason. Darrin decided to refuse the drink he had been offered and stretch his legs instead.

"Excuse me... "

Walk around the tavern, looking for any other customers or anything of interest.

Return to “Forum Games”