Sovereign of Stories

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

xelada

Sovereign of Stories

Postby xelada » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:16 am UTC

Sovereign of Stories (tentative name) is a game where you vie for points and control of an ever changing story, the game can handle any number of players, so I hope a good number are interested.

You can find the rules here.
I think it is probably best if we ignore the optional rules, for now at least.

Obviously as this is intended to be played in meat space there will need to be some additions, which can be found in the spoiler below:
Spoiler:
We will be using a common system in other games based around "Claims", you may only add to the story if you have Claimed and there can only be one Claim going at a time, if somebody else has Claimed you will have to wait until either their Claim expires or they make use of their Claim.

Once a Storyteller has posted their addition everyone has 24 hours to Claim using an Interrupt, they will need to note what they are using to Interrupt. After they post a claim with what they are using to interrupt they have 12 hours to post their continuation. If they fail to post in time then they lose their Claim.
If it has been at least 24 hours and there is no Claim then the next person in the player list may Claim without needing to Interrupt. However other players can still Claim with an Interrupt.
If has been 72 hours since the last addition and at least 24 hours since the last Claim expired (assuming there have been any) ANYONE may claim without having an Interrupt (they may still use one if they so wish).

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask, I will do my best to answer as soon as I get a chance (considering the fact I'm practically a hermit that shouldn't be all that long). Also if you have any ideas on how to make the rules clearer I am all ears.

All I need from you to sign up is to /in and send me 15 "cards", you don't need to actually make them actual cards just the names, if you can't come up with 15 I am more than willing to fill in the holes.

Sign-ups:
heuristically_alone
faubiguy
emlightened
orangedragonfire
xelada
Last edited by xelada on Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:37 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

heuristically_alone

Re: Sovereign of Stories

Postby heuristically_alone » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:32 am UTC

/in

Let's tell a story
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

xelada

Postby xelada » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:53 pm UTC

This is getting kind of depressing, one person, that is just sad. I may as well leave this open a bit longer, still, only one person showing any interest isn't what I was expecting.

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:13 pm UTC

/in

Cards
Spoiler:
Ancient ruins
Unicorn foal
Eye of the storm
Antidote 37-C
Oracle Blossom
Road to the sea
Flying squid
Jacob the sorcerer
Moonlight Canyon
Wealthy coin collector
Salt mine
Invisible vortex
Wintersnow City
Vernal Equinox
Paradox Resolution Task Force

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:11 pm UTC

\in

Spoiler:
Pyromaniac
Oil Painting
Greenfields
Vortexes of Babylon
The Three (Cute) Crusaders
Echo
Rose Bushes
(Biological) Sex
A Reference Guide
Masonry
Waterclimb
Ducklings
Philosophy
Plot-Hole
Lesbian Vampires

"Therefore it is in the interests not only of public safety but also public sanity if the buttered toast on cats idea is scrapped, to be replaced by a monorail powered by cats smeared with chicken tikka masala floating above a rail made from white shag pile carpet."

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:45 pm UTC

I PM'd my cards already. Would putting them in a spoiler here make it more convenient for you, xelada?
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

xelada

Postby xelada » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:38 am UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:I PM'd my cards already. Would putting them in a spoiler here make it more convenient for you, xelada?

Not really, PM'd is just as easy, if not better.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:46 am UTC

So what you're saying is that I'm already better than the other players :D
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

xelada

Postby xelada » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:15 am UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:So what you're saying is that I'm already better than the other players :D

Now, now, each approach has it's advantages and disadvantages.

xelada

Postby xelada » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:24 pm UTC

I am normally not a huge fan of bumping, however it would be unfair on those who want to play if I didn't put in SOME effort to make sure this gets seen.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:19 am UTC

Normally if I am trying to bump my own game, I make up some excuse to post so it doesn't look like In posting just to bump. Like "looking for 5 more players!" act (shhh don't tell anyone my secret)
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:55 am UTC

Prepare for all the plot twists.

Spoiler:
A spooky forest
Marian the Greatest
A better pony
Sudden realisation of impending doom involving at least one penguin
It was the Butler

A comically large wheel of cheese
The last day of summer
Two moons
A flying submarine
27 kinds of herbs and spices

Plan B has failed. We now move straight past Plan C to Plan D.
Spontaneous human combustion
A deliberately blank page
Character turns out to have been royalty all along
A unicorn

xelada

Postby xelada » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:23 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:Normally if I am trying to bump my own game, I make up some excuse to post so it doesn't look like In posting just to bump. Like "looking for 5 more players!" act (shhh don't tell anyone my secret)

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind next time I need to bump a game.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:49 pm UTC

So when will this game start?

xelada

Postby xelada » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:53 pm UTC

Ideally once we have more than two people interested in playing

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:00 pm UTC

You have four, heuristically_alone, faubiguy, emlightened and me.

xelada

Postby xelada » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:09 am UTC

orangedragonfire wrote:You have four, heuristically_alone, faubiguy, emlightened and me.

Right, I knew that...

I guess we can run it with four players (or five if I join), I guess if there isn't any more interest I may as well start tomorrow.

xelada

Postby xelada » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:14 am UTC

Okay that's the cards sent, could everyone confirm that they got their five (5) cards, also if you would like me to be a player as well as the mod/GM/referee/whatever, or just the... string of slashed things from the previous sentence (clause?).

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:17 am UTC

Confirm.

I'd be fine with you being a player if you want to.

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:50 pm UTC

Confirm.

"Therefore it is in the interests not only of public safety but also public sanity if the buttered toast on cats idea is scrapped, to be replaced by a monorail powered by cats smeared with chicken tikka masala floating above a rail made from white shag pile carpet."

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:12 pm UTC

Confirm. You can play (ill just forget you have a slight advantage :lol: )
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:20 pm UTC

Confirm. Please play.

xelada

Postby xelada » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:45 am UTC

It looks like that is everyone confirmed and there is positive interest in me playing, so LET THE GAME BEGIN!

It would obviously be unfair for me to use my position to let me start, so I'll give you a few hours (at least 6) to claim before I do so.

xelada

Postby xelada » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:36 am UTC

It has now been almost 24 hours, I now feel comfortable claiming, without it feeling like I'm being (too) unfair.

xelada

Postby xelada » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:50 am UTC

Our story starts as many do, with our heroine awakening; her name is Elysia Bronte, a priestess to the Wrathful Thunder, who takes her responsibilities very seriously. In fact, after rubbing the sleep from her eyes, the first thing she does is to mentally go over what she will be needing to do today, the list is long, and she just can't shake the feeling there is something she is forgetting, but that has become a common feeling nowadays and it had yet to amount to anything, it is probably nothing.
The previous night had been overly warm and as such Elysia didn't have a particularly good night sleep, she thankfully hadn't overslept however she does need to stretch and tiredness still lingers.
Having finished stretching and rubbing from her eyes what is left of her sleep, Elysia picks up the vestment she had laid out the night before and heads to wash herself, chances are it would help wake her up, plus it should counteract the warmth from the night before. As she walks down the cobble hallway she can't shake the feeling that today will be a long day.

Spoiler:
Card Played: Wrathful Thunder
Additions: Has a religion around it that includes priestesses

xelada

Postby xelada » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:26 am UTC

It has now been 72 hours and anyone can now continue the story ,you don't need to wait for me to post this obviously I just wanted to make sure everyone was aware.

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:25 am UTC

Elysia's walk down the torchlit corridors is uneventful, as is often the case at this time in the morning. The relative silence provides her with ample opportunity to concentrate on her plans for the day, and for the next week. Though she doesn't have much concrete evidence for it, her recent conversations with one of the elders have led her to suspect that a Sunset Ritual will be held in the evening, thus requiring her presence in the Western Chamber for several hours. She therefore sets aside a large portion of time in the earlier hours of the day for her routine duties. Not one to be caught unprepared, she also allocates an hour in the late afternoon to practice for the potential ritual, and begins thinking through the ritual's steps.

After about a minute of walking, Elysia has reached her destination. She quickly turns left and enters the chamber, undeterred by the signage which she, deep in concentration, has completely failed to notice. Upon taking five steps into the room, the priestess begins to notice that something is amiss. Her reaction, however, doesn't come soon enough. Everything happens very quickly. A flash of bright blue light and a thunderclap. Everything begins to spin, slowly at first but accelerating rapidly. The gusts of wind pick up until Elysia can't make out anything but the noise.

Then suddenly, just as it began, the chaos subsides. The light fades away and the wind slows to a swift halt, until everything appears once again normal. Relieved that her mishap had left her unharmed, Elysia quickly makes her exit back into the stone-paved hallway, and makes the realization that in her tiredness she had likely descended one floor more than intended and instead of the washroom ended up at the chamber containing the Vortexes of Babylon, a poorly-understood artifact recently acquired from the Azure Isles. Cursing herself under her breath for making such a dangerous mistake, she embarressedly heads up one level to the washroom, and begins to disrobe to bathe.

It's then that she notices the iridescent tattoo now visible on her left thigh.

Cards
Spoiler:
Vortexes of Babylon
- Artifact recently acquired from the Azure Isles

xelada

Postby xelada » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:08 am UTC

OOC:
Spoiler:
Nobody posted for... a while, so I'm continuing the story.
Should I post a 72 hour bump each time?

As she traced her fingers along the "tattoo" Elysia racks her brain, was this a symbol she was familiar with? It was intricate, so it can't be Ancient Arkasian, and it wasn't particularly pictorial, so it wasn't from the Nyoribian Peninsula... Maybe one the higher ups would know, Donald Clinton maybe? He does work with old texts, he might know... Wait, no, he would ask how she got it, and he wouldn't be too happy to hear she stumbled into the Vortexes of Babylon. Who knows what he'd do if he found out, or one of the elders; Elysia shudders at the thought.
It's no use, if the tattoo means anything it is lost to Elysia. Having exhausted the possibilities she could think of, as few as those where, she begins washing, luckily she is alone, so there is nobody else to see the tattoo, normally Elysia would prefer to not be alone, another soul can help wash those hard to reach areas, and company is always appreciated, plus more bodies kept the water from getting too cold. Elysia was thankful, not just because it helped keep her tattoo hidden but also that the cooler water felt amazing after the night before.
Luck appears to be on her side all throughout her bathing as well, by the time she had finished not a single other person had entered. After drying off Elysia puts on her vestment, and sighs a sigh of relief, the vestment just about covers the tattoo. As she leaves for the next thing on her mental list she thinks to herself how odd it was that she was the only one to enter... had she overslept after all?

Card Played:
Spoiler:
Donald Clinton: A superior to Elysia who works with old texts

xelada

Postby xelada » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:38 am UTC

The necessary time has passed (and been passed a while), anyone can now play.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:12 pm UTC

Elysia walked along the long, twisting corridors, through expansive halls and beautifully carved archways. And yet she saw not a single other person. The longer she walked, the more worried she grew. She walked past shrines to the Wrathful Thunder, where you could usually find somebody sitting in silent prayer.

But nobody was there.

She called out, hesitantly at first. Everybody was supposed to keep their voices down in respect while they were at the temple. When no answer was forthcoming, she called out louder. And when still there was nobody coming to reprimand her, she screamed at the top of her lungs. Only silence answered her. Growing desperate, she called upon her teachings. Kneeling down in prayer, she reached for the connection to the Wrathful Thunder. It responded, much quicker than usual and far stronger. She gasped as the gentle chill she was used to instead felt like being dipped into ice water. She almost panicked, then, scared at the amount of power she suddenly held. But her training kicked in. The Wrathful Thunder couldn't be calmed; the very attempt was considered an insult. So she let the power flow through her, guided it to her throat, and... screamed.

Her voice was like thunder. The walls around her shook, and she was fairly certain that her call had been hear as far as the nearby villages that provided the temple with food.

But nobody came.

Elysia ran. Where to, where to... the forbidden places. There were always guards there. And yet, when she came to the Forgotten Library, the door was unguarded and unlocked. Nor was there anybody watching over the Drums of Active Aggression. And, come to think of it, there really should have been guards around the Vortexes of Babylon as well. There wasn't anybody in front of the rooms belonging to the Eldest, the leader of this temple. Not only that, the door was broken open.

With no small amount of trepidation, Elysia entered. The Eldest was lying on the floor, bloody and unmoving. Something was... eating... her. The thing turned to face her. Black and white, walking on two legs, with gleaming blue armor riddled with menacing spikes. It stood at about half her height.

'This is it, I am going to die,' Elysia thought while her mind helpfully recalled all she had been told about these creatures during her studies.

Battle Penguin
The elite assassins of the Calming Chill, one of the main opponents of the Wrathful Thunder. Training facilities are based on the Azure Isles, where the Calming Chill has its main strongholds. No known weaknesses. If you encounter one and it has not seen you, attempt to sneak away. If it has seen you, then there is nothing that can help you.

The Battle Penguin lunged.

Her new tattoo started to glow.

Card played:
Spoiler:
Sudden realisation of impending doom involving at least one penguin

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:22 pm UTC

Elysia panicked as she tried to think of any way out of her imminent demise. Suddenly a shockwave echoed throughout the room and threw her to the floor. When she looked up, she saw that the penguin had landed on the far side of the room. Before she could make sense of what had happened, the penguin fled the scene with lightning speed. Her confusion only grew, but she was relieved to be alive.

Although the penguin had retreated, Elysia sensed that she was not safe yet. She walked over to the where the Eldest lay, trying not to be overcome by grief and horror. Gingerly, she knelt down and removed the Eldest's necklace, placing it onto herself. On an ordinary day, she would not even contemplate taking such an action—she'd be exiled from the temple for sure, perhaps even worse. But this was no ordinary day.

Upon becoming a preistess, Elysia had been given a cryptic phrase by the Eldest and told she'd know if ever the time came to use it. That phrase had haunted her throughout her years at the temple, but she was now certain that the time to use it had come. Nervous but resolute, Elysia once again called upon the Wrathful Thunder, this time with the full power usually reserved to the Eldest. The power now flowing through her was overwhelming; it was as if the entire room had been plunged deep into an icy abyss. She let the thunderous energy take hold of her until she in mind was one with the Thunder. Three words echoed: lumiel serentropos vux

Elysia tried to figure out where she was. Formless plains stretched out in all directions, and none of the constellations above her were ones she recognized. She was clearly very far from the temple. One thing drew her attention, however: not far from where she stood, Elysia could make out the figure of a unicorn foal. This was someplace very special indeed.

Card
Spoiler:
Unicorn foal

phillip1882

Postby phillip1882 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:51 pm UTC

you waited a whole year to post?

you really should have left this topic dead i think.
good luck have fun

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:36 am UTC

But that would have been boring. Maybe after another 16 months someone else will remember they were playing this and continue it further.

faubi

Postby faubi » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:00 am UTC

Bumping again, as more than 16 months have passed

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:07 pm UTC

Elysia cautiously approached the unicorn foal. Little was known about the majestic creatures, but they were considered some of the more powerful creatures in this world. If it had been another similarly powerful creature, like phoenix or a dragon, Elysia would have... well, not run, but certainly snuck away quickly. But unicorns were considered gentle and peaceful. Possibly because they had nothing to fear from anybody. Still, under normal circumstances Elysia would have preferred to stay far away from anything that dangerous, even if it might not actively be threatening. But there were powerful forces out to get her, and so the vicinity of a unicorn seemed safer than anywhere else. People would not dare to start anything next to such a being.

She reached the unicorn, and bowed deeply. Did unicorns have a notion of respect? No matter, it was still a good idea to attempt to convey it. The unicorn foal drew closer, and bumped her with its nose. Elysia felt all her fear and terror wash away, and be replaced with calm. She still knew why she had felt like that, but the emotions themselves no longer had a hold on her. She looked up, and saw the unicorn foal turn around and walk off. After a while, it turned, and looked back at her, motioning with its head. As if in a daze she got up and followed it.

They walked for a while - Elysia had no way to keep track of time. Nor had she an idea where they were, or where they were going. The plains seemed to extend forever in all directions. But then, as the sun started to set, the foal stopped. Elysia, who had been admiring the sunset in the distance, looked down, and frowned. There was something there, and crack running through the plains. She knelt down, and felt along it, but it was only hairthin.

Then the moon started to rise, and the first rays it sent down towards the ground touched the crack. Before her eyes, Elysia saw it widen - from a crack to a ravine, and wider still, until a vast canyon lay before her, carved into the endless plains. Below, there was a wide river, bountiful fruittrees, and herds of unicorns. All lit by the light of the moon. Elysia stared.

A tug brought her out of her reverence. The unicorn foal had bit her clothes to get her attention, and once she looked up it went down a narrow path along the side of the canyon, down towards the bottom. Elysia wavered for a while. If this... if moonlight got the canyon to appear, would it disappear once the moon set, and take her with it? And yet, there was food down there in abundance; the trees were filled and ripe for the plucking. Up here there was nothing and eventually she'd starve. Her decision thus made, she slowly began to follow the unicorn foal, keeping herself pressed well against the wall and tried not to think of the long drop down.

Card
Spoiler:
Moonlight Canyon

Return to “Forum Games”